THE BROWNS BOARD

Can we talk about Shanahan?

jrb12711

I was at the game today and had a great time. I'm not going to make excuses for Manziel, but the one turd that shined the brightest for me today was the miserable game of offense called by kid shanny. The Browns call a time out in the first or 2nd quarter, and out of the time out ran the exact same formation and play. Really?

The play manziel gets hurt was a designed QB run. Really? It's obvious to me that he wants to run a style of offense that just won't work in the NFL. Good or bad Johnny has to play in a pro offense before I lose my mind. Setting your quarterback to get killed on a roll out is just not good.

Am I only one seeing this? Again, this isn't an excuse for Johnny thread but I don't ever see this offense working.

Id say speculation was, ON ONE SIDE, that JFF's style wouldnt fly in the NFL...and on the other side that you have to use what makes him great....and, although that doesn;t fly in the NFL, he's great enough to overcome it....

and now the Browns have worked him out enough and dont see a pocket QB....so they have to at least try to see if his game works....even though he doesn't look good, I think they are still putting him out there to see if the "magic" shows up....

it hasn't

However, if he gets fired, Id be looking at Trestman as another oc possibility

I've been over Baby Shanny for weeks. He is, and has been awful, and I don't want to hear about injuries either. His unit, his game plan and his game day management has been terrible..................... I hope he is the first one to make the news 8 days from now.

I think Shanny is OK. He's essentially a rookie, too, this being his first year out of the nest.

In the beginning, under Hoyer, we saw a run-first O with PAP off of the run's success. It was effective.

I am not a fan of the pistol, which dominates when JM is in. We do not run effectively out of it. It is not PAP conducive. It is not effective.

But to be fair, most of the Pistol data is on the Mack-less O-line.

I really only question coaches when they make a crucial decision i.e. go for it on 4th down, 2pt conversion, etc. or if it appears the play calling is somehow is hindering the talent. If we are being honest the Browns have a subpar QB and O-Line, their best RB was an undrafted FA, the best playmaker is a narcissistic pothead, the next best weapon is an oft-injured TE and they fired their FG kicker with 3 games left in the season. It's not as if he's running the Broncos.

I'm glad to see its not just me. It's so much more when you actually get the see the whole offense too. The first series when the Browns are 3rd and 8 he runs a two man route in a 3 man rush. I could honestly go on all day but I won't. I think the thing that makes me so angry too is he is coming from a place where he saw his crap fail. The nfl is changing but his brand will never work.

I absolutely hate what shanahan has done overall. I expect he'll grow with the team though. Don't expect any of the staff to get canned this year. Tabor got an extension after last year when ST blew the biggest fat one I've seen on awhile, idk why we love him so much. Not that our STs has been bad this year, but return unit and penalties killer.

I was at the game today and had a great time. I'm not going to make excuses for Manziel, but the one turd that shined the brightest for me today was the miserable game of offense called by kid shanny. The Browns call a time out in the first or 2nd quarter, and out of the time out ran the exact same formation and play. Really?

The play manziel gets hurt was a designed QB run. Really? It's obvious to me that he wants to run a style of offense that just won't work in the NFL. Good or bad Johnny has to play in a pro offense before I lose my mind. Setting your quarterback to get killed on a roll out is just not good.

Am I only one seeing this? Again, this isn't an excuse for Johnny thread but I don't ever see this offense working.

You're not the only one. Shanahan is a turd from the word go. He couldn't make Tate work in his offense and he nearly got Manziel killed today. It ws fun watching the Texans defense tear up Flacco and Kubiak's vaunted Baltimore offense. The Texans were playing with a QB who last Monday was bow hunting in a tree in Missouri. Fun stuff especially watching Watt run Flacco crazy. Crennel did a great job with his D which is what the Browns lack. Good coordinators.

I'm among those not sold on Shanny, but l really can't stand the constant change. It's just not a healthy environment for our players.

You know if he gets the axe every one of those players on offense are gonna be, "fuck, here we go again."

The new guy's going to have his own ideas, schemes, plays, and ideology on how to run an offense, and these guys are gonna be starting from scratch again.

You're not the only one. Shanahan is a turd from the word go. He couldn't make Tate work in his offense and he nearly got Manziel killed today. It ws fun watching the Texans defense tear up Flacco and Kubiak's vaunted Baltimore offense. The Texans were playing with a QB who last Monday was bow hunting in a tree in Missouri. Fun stuff especially watching Watt run Flacco crazy. Crennel did a great job with his D which is what the Browns lack. Good coordinators.

So let me get this straight, Shanny is the reason Manziel is a slow footed , dull witted pussy who cant read defenses and cant spell playbook???

although i'm not a fan of the play calling right now....

when we had a healthy OL nobody was complaining.

and i hope people realize how bad this team got stung by injuries. i think we coulda won the division regardless of qbs.

although i'm not a fan of the play calling right now....

when we had a healthy OL nobody was complaining.

and i hope people realize how bad this team got stung by injuries. i think we coulda won the division regardless of qbs.

+1000 I believe if we don't lose Mack we would have took the division. Sure its speculative and I know the whole next man up thing, just saying that with him we looked damn good. After he went out our running game tanked and without that our passing game tanked.

Next year maybe when we start talking draft less people will whine when we look at O linemen, doubt it though lol

My issue with Shanny is how our WR's have been allowed to get off the page with our QB's. It started with Hoyer and continued with Manziel in there. Something changed. At the beginning of the season things weren't utterly perfect, but it seemed like by and large the QB and his WR's were within reasonable parameters of each other. As the season progressed you see more glares being exchanged after each incompletion. It wasn't on one or the other, both the QB's and our receivers regressed as the season progressed....and that's on the OC. There was just something he wasn't managing right.

Not to worry, I just read on CBS Sports that Shanahan will be one of the new head coaches in the off season. A designed run that injures your franchise QB might have a negative affect on the speculation of a head coaching job. But this is the NFL where anything goes.

So let me get this straight, Shanny is the reason Manziel is a slow footed , dull witted pussy who cant read defenses and cant spell playbook???

Manziel has the speed to run just fine. But when you call a play like a designed qb rollout run, it's letting the defense tee off on a guy they never get to hit. They are going to lay a Haymaker cause they can. A two year old can see that. That play was taking the lambs to slaughter. That's not blindly defending the guy that's just obvious no matter who it is.

The Browns opened the season with a running game which vanished after Mack went out. Without a running game any quarterback in the NFL is going to struggle and that is when Hoyer and the entire offense started having sub par games. Can losing one guy on the O line make that much difference? Apparently so if he is an all pro center like Mack. From what I have seen and many of you guys know more than me about this but I would cut my losses with Manziel, keep Hoyer and improve our O line. Does this team really want to give up so many draft picks which we badly need to get Mariotta? I don't know. No matter how well a college quarterback is in college you never know if they will make it in the NFL and the Browns need help on both sides of the ball.

The Browns opened the season with a running game which vanished after Mack went out. Without a running game any quarterback in the NFL is going to struggle and that is when Hoyer and the entire offense started having sub par games. Can losing one guy on the O line make that much difference? Apparently so if he is an all pro center like Mack. From what I have seen and many of you guys know more than me about this but I would cut my losses with Manziel, keep Hoyer and improve our O line. Does this team really want to give up so many draft picks which we badly need to get Mariotta? I don't know. No matter how well a college quarterback is in college you never know if they will make it in the NFL and the Browns need help on both sides of the ball.

yep. just ask andrew luck with no running game and a subpar OL. then look at romo who has looked like a quasi bum for 10 years until now when he has a line and murray.

Keep Shanny around for 2 reasons- A)the same system for a young team should help in the growth B)hopefully getting a upgrade at a few positions in the off season through the draft & FA will help.

I'm not crazy about some of the play calling either, but I hate starting over every damn year. If the guy gets a head coaching gig somewhere, good for him, but don't fire him for "changes" sake.

I think Shanny is OK. He's essentially a rookie, too, this being his first year out of the nest.

In the beginning, under Hoyer, we saw a run-first O with PAP off of the run's success. It was effective.

I am not a fan of the pistol, which dominates when JM is in. We do not run effectively out of it. It is not PAP conducive. It is not effective.

But to be fair, most of the Pistol data is on the Mack-less O-line.

A rookie.. Um no.. he's already coached Jay Cutler and RG3..

A rookie.. Um no.. he's already coached Jay Cutler and RG3..

That's what I'm saying here. I get what you're saying Tour that this is the first kid Shanny doesn't have his daddy to fall back on. I just feel very strongly his style of play doesn't work at a consistent level in the NFL. To me, he scripts what he's called A LOT. I'm going to assume he and Manziel are here next year. If so, I hope he takes a long look at things and realizes Manziel needs to win or lose from the pocket. The best pass he's had as a brown was the dart there in a normal, clean pocket. I'm not ready to lose all hope on Manziel but he will fail 100% if Shanny keeps calling the game like he has, that I'm sure of.

That's what I'm saying here. I get what you're saying Tour that this is the first kid Shanny doesn't have his daddy to fall back on. I just feel very strongly his style of play doesn't work at a consistent level in the NFL. To me, he scripts what he's called A LOT.

I'm going to assume he and Manziel are here next year. If so, I hope he takes a long look at things and realizes Manziel needs to win or lose from the pocket. The best pass he's had as a brown was the dart there in a normal, clean pocket. I'm not ready to lose all hope on Manziel but he will fail 100% if Shanny keeps calling the game like he has, that I'm sure of.

Bingo... thus my use of "out of the nest".

The scripting is an interesting observation. I've commented before about his sacrificing plays to set up plays... kinda chess-like. So certainly having scripted pairs fits. Lately though it seems like teams are ready for both 1a and 1b.

The 28 yard pass to Hawk is the play I'm sure you are referring to... and, yes, far and away, it was JM's best. But it had not only a secure pocket, but a comfortable throwing lane.

Archived