THE BROWNS BOARD

Happy Independence Day!

nickers

I had the pleasure of riding the bus the other day , and chatting a bit with this older black gentlemen , dressed very neatly and clean , and donning his veterans hat.. So I took the opportunity to thank him for serving our country.. We got to talking a little bit.. The man had to be close to his mid 70's Id guess but.. He was in fantastic physical shape. He also told me this was by design . That he wanted to always be ready to serve the country.. Even at his age. He said he loved America , and to this day he would fight for freedom. America is not about Black or White.. Or even about your Iphone or favorite reality or vampire/zombie show. It's about freedom and religious freedom and the right to the pursuit of happiness so long as you don't injure, maim or kill another American without just cause. So with that.. I'll just wish you all Happy Indepedennce day!

Happy July 4, 1776-2017 all you service people and I always add first responders.

These holidays are for you, have a good cold one and kick back and relax.

Thank you. ;)

God Bless America..............all of us.

And I still take this part of the oath seriously, "that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic."

And I still take this part of the oath seriously, "that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic."

Me too Bill.

Mike

Me too... didn't open this til just now....

https://www.hillsdale.edu/america/?fn=TWlrZQ==&ln=U2hhcnA=&em=cGF0X21pa2VAc2JjZ2xvYmFsLm5ldA==&ci=dW5pb250b3du&st=T0g=&ad=d3JpZ2h0IHJk&ti=TXIu&c_id=1373241&lg=0.00&zi=NDQ2ODU=&utm_source=housefile&utm_medium=email&utm_content=america_the_beautiful&utm_campaign=independence_day_2017&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-9S83moCUQM_GXcdzf3qvkyIZiE_g1v6JeMH-zMVFKPiEL394oKyVD1Vzc95RK9Jroyh8uPAWNT-cuNP8jKsputWz8SSw&_hsmi=53862199

America the Beautiful

Written by Katharine Lee Bates and composed by Samuel A. Ward, “America the Beautiful” is one of the most well-known and beloved American patriotic songs. The song celebrates the natural beauty and the “patriot dream” of the United States.

Me too... didn't open this til just now....

https://www.hillsdale.edu/america/?fn=TWlrZQ==&ln=U2hhcnA=&em=cGF0X21pa2VAc2JjZ2xvYmFsLm5ldA==&ci=dW5pb250b3du&st=T0g=&ad=d3JpZ2h0IHJk&ti=TXIu&c_id=1373241&lg=0.00&zi=NDQ2ODU=&utm_source=housefile&utm_medium=email&utm_content=america_the_beautiful&utm_campaign=independence_day_2017&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-9S83moCUQM_GXcdzf3qvkyIZiE_g1v6JeMH-zMVFKPiEL394oKyVD1Vzc95RK9Jroyh8uPAWNT-cuNP8jKsputWz8SSw&_hsmi=53862199

America the Beautiful

Written by Katharine Lee Bates and composed by Samuel A. Ward, “America the Beautiful” is one of the most well-known and beloved American patriotic songs. The song celebrates the natural beauty and the “patriot dream” of the United States.

Who knows where America the Beautiful was written about? i.e. the location that inspired it?

Happy Independence Day! (Belated.)

Couldn't post yesterday, occupied smoking ribs, turkey thighs and adult beanie-weenies. U-S-A! U-S-A!

Cute place to visit: Keysville, MD, birthplace of Francis Scott Key, you all know what he wrote right?

Funny fact. Near the PA-MD border, roads that cross the border change names. For instance, the road out of Gettysburg, PA, toward Emmitsburg, MD, is called Emmitsburg Road. However, when you are in Emmitsburg it is called the Gettysburg Road.

Something even funnier? Many (otherwise intelligent) locals don't realize that Chambersburg Road has that name because it goes to Chambersburg. Just like Baltimore Street goes to Baltimore and Carlisle goes to Carlisle. They seriously think the road is "honoring" the other city instead of pointing to it. Hilarious, some folks are helpless.

Anyhow, this whole concept goes crazy in little Keysville. Driving through we noticed that every single road in Keysville was named Keysville road (presumably because they all came from elsewhere to Keysville). Funny as Hell, have no idea how people figure it out when all the roads have the same name.

By the way, go to Emmitsburg, to the Carriage House, and get a crabcake, you'll thank me.

Who knows where America the Beautiful was written about? i.e. the location that inspired it?

Purple mountains, amber waves of grain? Sounds like Weld County Colorado to me (Greeley is the main city there and the county is one of the largest agricultural counties in the US). It was the model for James Michner's "Centennial".

Purple mountains, amber waves of grain? Sounds like Weld County Colorado to me (Greeley is the main city there and the county is one of the largest agricultural counties in the US). It was the model for James Michner's "Centennial".

You are warm. Right state. Not the right location.

You are warm. Right state. Not the right location.

East of Pike's Peak then. Though now there is far more grain in Weld county that there is out east of Pike's Peak until Kansas. Mostly grasslands now.

East of Pike's Peak then. Though now there is far more grain in Weld county that there is out east of Pike's Peak until Kansas. Mostly grasslands now.

The view from Pike's Peak is correct. (I doubt from the top of Pike's Peak looking east you can tell the difference between amber waves of grain and amber waves of grass) ;)

Archived