THE BROWNS BOARD

More intimidation in college of Christian student and free speech

calfoxwc

Sounds like someone we know here?

Starting with slide #9 you use religion and the bible [sic] as a source. While I can personally appreciate and respect your religious life we are living in a society that separates church and state; the University of Wisconsin is a secular institution. Religious contemplations and the bible belong to a different realm and not academic sources. So your argumentation along Christian lines, including the slides you designed in relation to it, are inappropriate for this presentation. I will not allow you to present unless you change this. You will also fail your presentation if your [sic] discuss religion in connection with it.

Sounds like someone we know here?

Starting with slide #9 you use religion and the bible [sic] as a source. While I can personally appreciate and respect your religious life we are living in a society that separates church and state; the University of Wisconsin is a secular institution. Religious contemplations and the bible belong to a different realm and not academic sources. So your argumentation along Christian lines, including the slides you designed in relation to it, are inappropriate for this presentation. I will not allow you to present unless you change this. You will also fail your presentation if your [sic] discuss religion in connection with it.

When will this imaginary ‘separation of church and state’ rhetoric stop being used against Christianity? It gets used as if it were an established rule. It is not a law…not now…never has been. Its use is merely an attempt to mislead the public. Possibly, if it gets repeated enough, people can be brainwashed into thinking its true.

I believe the question was what causes a person to commit arson? One of the reasons she listed besides the textbook answers was sin. And she is right. The definition of sin is missing the mark. I would say an arsonist is missing the mark. If she had all the textbook answers correct and added a biblical reason what is the problem?

We've shown that there are parallels with events in history,

and the Bible.

Plus, a figure in the earth, the same size as the Ark,

left an impression on a high mountain in Turkey.

Naturally, access is forbidden. The question itself is asking for an opinion,

since there are no proofs to show why arson occurs.

Asking for opinions, then denying the opinion including the Bible as part of that opinion....

is completely a liberal culture war, very ignorant ploy.

Enough of the liberal emotional knee jerk.

I mean, seriously, read the DEFINITION OF THE WORD "ANTHROPOLOGY" !!!!!!!!

"The problem is that it was an anthropology class, not a religious studies class. " CHRIS

The problem is that it was an anthropology class, not a religious studies class. So keep the bible references out of it.

The real problem is the liberal ideology that gets promoted above all others in colleges. In classes I went to we had feminist women (who seemed to hate all men) and they had plenty of opportunity to spout off their *religion* and were encouraged to do so by professors. Same way with bashing Christianity, even the professors would usually join in. But stand up for the faith and then you hear that tired old falsehood "we have separation of church and state". When was this law ever passed? Of course you cannot use bible answers alone in a secular college but if those answers are included with the textbook answers that should not be a big deal considering everything else these colleges allow into the classrooms that are outside the teachings of the class.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropology

"Anthropology /ænθrɵˈpɒləi/ is the study of humans. Its main subdivisions are cultural anthropology, which describes the workings of societies around the world, andbiological anthropology, which concerns long-term development of the human organism."

and

"The Oxford Dictionaries define it as "The study of humankind", to include "cultural or social anthropology" and "physical anthropology."[1] The Encyclopedia Britannica has a synonymous statement, "the science of humanity," but lists a slightly different catalogue: "biology and evolutionary history," and "society and culture."[2] TheAmerican Anthropological Association offers: "the study of humans, past and present," which "draws and builds upon ... the social and biological sciences as well as the humanities and physical sciences."[3] Eric R. Wolf states "Ideas about race, culture and peoplehood or ethnicity have long served to orient anthropology's inquiries ...."[4]"

What really irks me with the liberal emotional knee jerk, is that in this case,

"anthropology" immediately re-defined as being pure science, so it excludes religion.

From the link - read this:

"

Religion[edit] Part of a series on Anthropology of religion
Basic concepts[show]
Case studies[show]
Related articles[show]
Major theorists[show]
Journals[show]
Social and cultural anthropology

The anthropology of religion involves the study of religious institutions in relation to other social institutions, and the comparison of religious beliefs and practices across cultures. Modern anthropology assumes that there is complete continuity between magical thinking and religion,[59] and that every religion is a cultural product, created by the human community that worships it.[60]"

Therefore, the student was absolutely correct to bring her religious reasoning into the picture.

And "separation of church and state" means the state shall not pick a religion for THE official religion, etc.

It does NOT mean that Americans are denied the right to express their religious views because liberals

don't have them.

Things are way out of control with the emotional, self-serving, disingenuous knee jerky.

I'm trying to decide whether to be disgusted, or to just laugh and say "there they go again".

the professor clearly showed anti-religious bigotry, and has no chance in court.

It's still wrong. It's anthropology class.

Cultural/Religious/biological studies of mankind.

the question was opinion-seeking. As in, subjective. There is no

concrete, singular answer.

The professor is simply asking for presentations and then

censoring presentations that don't meet her bigoted outlook.

There is no place for censoring sought opinionated presentations under the guise of "acedemic freedom".

That's leftist liberal culture war bs. The student wins. Slam dunk.

It's still wrong. It's anthropology class.

Cultural/Religious/biological studies of mankind.

the question was opinion-seeking. As in, subjective. There is no

concrete, singular answer.

The professor is simply asking for presentations and then

censoring presentations that don't meet her bigoted outlook.

There is no place for censoring sought opinionated presentations under the guise of "acedemic freedom".

That's leftist liberal culture war bs. The student wins. Slam dunk.

The worst class I ever took in college was a sociology class by an ultra liberal professor and ALL her tests were essay questions. When you got graded badly it was difficult if not impossible to challenge her as you pretty much had to live in her mind to know what answers she was looking for on the essay questions.

The worst class I ever took in college was a sociology class by an ultra liberal professor and ALL her tests were essay questions. When you got graded badly it was difficult if not impossible to challenge her as you pretty much had to live in her mind to know what answers she was looking for on the essay questions.

Oh I agree totally. I had a sociology professor at WVU who we joked that as long as you kept in mind that old rich white guys and Reagan were evil you would get an A. The professor had tenure so he could pull that stuff.

I once did a long paper, and got a D- because it was

conservative based, and the instructor was an

"anti-war" rally prof leader on campus, I found out later, from the dean.

I was in secondary education at the time.

Well, I was a sophomore, it was spring. So, I went to

the dean, with my grade blanked out on the copy, and

he read it, and said even if he was going to try to be

a jerk about it, he couldn't give me less than a B-. He said it was an excellent paper.

He asked what grade I actually got, and when I told him,

he told me the name of the professor, flat out. He figured it was this one prof. Nailed it.

He explained "academic freedom", and said he couldn't make the prof

change my grade... and the prof wouldn't anyways... but I could retake

the class for free, he'd arrange that, and would give me a couple of profs

to look for when registering.

This was at Kent State. That was about the last thing I needed, to help me

decide to go ahead and quit college and enlist to go to college later,

You probably did go to a 'stereotypical liberal pc elitist university' but just fit in too well to notice.

9f357f39950d9293c18628945c53d147.jpg

Boring, cliche, overused joke is boring, cliche and overused. Not to mention it doesn't even make sense.

Or, you know, you're own beliefs were so right wing that anything even just near the middle was far left to you (sound familiar?)

Or, more likely... Politics largely stays out of the STEM courses. But even then, I never had any ideologies thrown in my face.

Well, no, two I can remember.

1) your usual soap box preachers telling everyone they're sinners, evolution is a lie, etc. Even better when they set up between the Physics and Chemistry buildings haha.

2) a truck driving around campus with a giant, graphic picture of a chopped up fetus that was aborted. With a microphone saying abortion is murder.

On the left? Idk... Hashbash? But those stoners are pretty chill. One offered to trade my buddy two hemp sweaters for his coat haha

Oh I agree totally. I had a sociology professor at WVU who we joked that as long as you kept in mind that old rich white guys and Reagan were evil you would get an A. The professor had tenure so he could pull that stuff.

I just needed to get the math right, haha

I had a tenured philosophy of cognitive science professor whose course was one essay on basically anything related to cog sci. You could literally make it about anything and put any references you wanted in there - for example mine was about Bender from futurama and whether he should be allowed to gamble against humans and quoted Kenny Rodgers. A.

Boring, cliche, overused joke is boring, cliche and overused. Not to mention it doesn't even make sense.

Q: How do you get a Michigan grad off of your front porch?

A: Pay him for the pizza.

Or, you know, you're own beliefs were so right wing that anything even just near the middle was far left to you (sound familiar?)

When you are right you might as well be right all the way. :)

Or, more likely... Politics largely stays out of the STEM courses. But even then, I never had any ideologies thrown in my face.

Well, no, two I can remember.

1) your usual soap box preachers telling everyone they're sinners, evolution is a lie, etc. Even better when they set up between the Physics and Chemistry buildings haha.

I can't believe professors would act that way at Michigan University Woody...I'm with you on this one. Professors have influence over captive students and hold grading over their heads and should get off their soapboxes of ideology and just teach their subjects.

2) a truck driving around campus with a giant, graphic picture of a chopped up fetus that was aborted. With a microphone saying abortion is murder.

That sounds worse than my college experience. What is wrong with those professors in Michigan? They should be teaching classes and not promoting ideologies. Students in a free society should have that right to do this but when Professors start pushing their beliefs on the students that is just wrong.

On the left? Idk... Hashbash? But those stoners are pretty chill. One offered to trade my buddy two hemp sweaters for his coat haha

Oh in my civil engineering and GIS courses there was nothing subjective about it. You got it right and the coal seam was where you labeled it or you were wrong.

I studied mathematics primarily. There's no subjectivity, no margin for error, just a binary right/wrong. An occasional 'I see what you did there but not quite' might crop up, but it's rare.

Oh in my civil engineering and GIS courses there was nothing subjective about it. You got it right and the coal seam was where you labeled it or you were wrong.

I only had to take 1 humanities class at Michigan (thanks to degree requirements and AP credit), but it was pass fail, so it wasn't a big deal.

Hated subjective grading in English class though. 11th grade honors English, our exam was to write an essay on The Scarlet Letter. The teacher ripped a page out, gave it to us at random, and said right about a theme on that page. I had nothing on my page.

Long story short, I argued. She asked if I read the book. I said of course I didn't, no one here did. Then, I got a D on that essay.

Didn't read most of the books. Usually got in the A- range. Piss the teacher off though, and boom! D.

Didn't mean professors OBF. Do those crazy liberal professors exist? Sure. But when those "horror stories" are clouded with reasonable stories like potentially have here, it makes it seem worse than it is. If we are talking a research paper. Peer reviewed articles, studies, etc. Then the bible isn't a good source (unless the report is specifically about religion). It isn't some liberal,Christian hating professor. It's a student writing a bad report

Also, it's The University of Michigan. Not Michigan University.

I studied mathematics primarily. There's no subjectivity, no margin for error, just a binary right/wrong. An occasional 'I see what you did there but not quite' might crop up, but it's rare.

We at least had a grade associated with working through the problem. If an exam is just 3 questions over 1.5 hours, there are a bunch of intermediate steps. Some points associated with using the correct formulas, then some for the final answer.

All or nothing on a problem like that would be a dick move.

We at least had a grade associated with working through the problem. If an exam is just 3 questions over 1.5 hours, there are a bunch of intermediate steps. Some points associated with using the correct formulas, then some for the final answer.

All or nothing on a problem like that would be a dick move.

It's all or nothing when you do the math in your head and just write the answer ;)

Archived