THE BROWNS BOARD

Remove confederate flag from government buildings?

gftChris

Remove flag from all government buildings?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Remove flag from all government buildings?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other - please explain

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After the South's surrender, in lieu of giving a victory speech to the crowd gathered at the White House, President Lincoln asked the band to play Dixie. You think of any other sovereign countries that did that?

After the South's surrender, in lieu of giving a victory speech to the crowd gathered at the White House, President Lincoln asked the band to play Dixie. You think of any other sovereign countries that did that?

"Quiet, these men are our countrymen again " Our wisest of leaders on both sides knew unification and healing was necessary.

Confederate flags belong in a fucking museum. Outside of that they represent bitter feelings and a recent history of hiding behind it to oppress minorities.

And for the love of christ, if you make mention that "black folk fought for the south" yet fail to include most fought in place of their owners after being signed over to the confederacy as property - then get bent.

I'm usually very ho hum about shit like this. But as I mentioned before, "southern pride" is thinly veiled bitterness coupled with ignorance. A nation long dead.

Your greatest general didnt even want that flag flown at his own memorial. Should about tell anyone all they'd ever need to know.

Edit. For record I think the focus on the Confederate flag is wrong. It will change nothing. Obviously that motherfucker should have been burned years ago, but that's besides the point.

Sure is nice when I see it flown in person. It's ALWAYS coupled with a shitty ass truck carrying temp tags and a dude with an EBT card.

I'm glad you start your post with an admission that this civil war was different from any other.

How do you know what it represents to the people that fly it? It's funny, your ilk will be the first to say women, not crusty white politicians, should make decisions on their own body, but you want to tell southerners what the confederate flag really means.

You whip out Lee's request (which I do find interesting). Allow me to cite a recent CNN/ORC poll, which states that 57% of Americans view it as a symbol of southern pride, to only 33% that view it as one of racism. If the argument is that it hurts people's feelings and should thus be taken down, that is now duly destroyed. If the argument is that flag users harbor hatred, unless you have some kind of X-ray machine for people's hearts, then we have to go by people's opinion, which is that they don't. Case closed.

We're now putting battle flag fliers in the welfare freeloaders category. Truly laughable. If you ever actually make it past the Mason-Dixon, I encourage you to foster good will by telling such a fine joke.

Btw no food stamps here. Hell I don't even have a truck. We could never afford one. But it's always funny to see liberals engage in the same kind of stereotyping they claim to so detest.

Ever notice that liberals are never proud of anything?

It seems with them, it's always a matter of tearing down

believing in anything, or honoring anything - just

tearing down the idea and people that do.

Just a trend I've noticed.

Actually I would think that somebody that has a big God hates fags sign on his van he might be too much of an asshole to work with the public or for me. It would be hard to imagine otherwise.

WSS

Ok, but in the hypothetical, he does. He has some offensive thing on his vehicle, which is clearly out in front of your store. People are associating that thing they don't like with your business. You are losing revenue. You should have the right to tell your employee that needs to go, or he's fired.

you stupid fucking conservatives and your double standards. HG tv made their free market "CHOICE" to end their relationship with those brothers because let's face it, who watches HG TV the most? Straight people? Please. These guys didn't make innocuous statements either...they literally said Satan was behind homosexuality. You can cloak that in whatever icing you want but that's serious slander against gay people. Home and Garden chose to part ways with them over that. You can still say I believe marriage is between a man and a woman and still be respectful to people. These guys are actually little closet fgt douche's imo.

Free market choice is that actually done on principal or threats of boycotts by a vocal minority because if it was done on principal both A & E and Cracker Barrel would not have backed down on Duck Dynasty.

The left went too far on Duck Dynasty and got some push back but this is not usually the norm. After A & E suspended Phil Robertson and Cracker Barrel pulled all Duck Dynasty merchandise they heard from the people and saw the light and reversed themselves proving their original decision was NEVER done on principal in the first place. If it were truly done on principal they would have stood their ground but in this case caved in to the vocal MAJORITY when they had initially caved to the vocal MINORITY.

'Duck Dynasty' fans given scripted apology by Cracker Barrel after abrupt reversal of pulled merchandise

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/cracker-barrel-apologizes-pulling-duck-dynasty-gear-article-1.1558334

A&E Backs Down on Phil Robertson’s ‘Duck Dynasty’ Suspension

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/12/27/ae-backs-down-on-phil-robertsons-duck-dynasty-suspension/

Ok, but in the hypothetical, he does. He has some offensive thing on his vehicle, which is clearly out in front of your store. People are associating that thing they don't like with your business. You are losing revenue. You should have the right to tell your employee that needs to go, or he's fired.

You are correct woody, and remember that I'm usually a fan of situational ethics. I suppose I should be within my rights to tell the asshole to move his van from in front of my business. I might even find a reason to shit can the guy. ( if he is in fact the kind of asshole you thinks that sticker is cool ... ) True enough.. Should I be also free to tell my waiter not to park his car with the rainbow sticker in front of my place?

Or an Obama or Hillary or black power sticker?

WSS

you stupid fucking conservatives and your double standards. HG tv made their free market "CHOICE" to end their relationship with those brothers because let's face it, who watches HG TV the most? Straight people? Please. These guys didn't make innocuous statements either...they literally said Satan was behind homosexuality. You can cloak that in whatever icing you want but that's serious slander against gay people. Home and Garden chose to part ways with them over that. You can still say I believe marriage is between a man and a woman and still be respectful to people. These guys are actually little closet fgt douche's imo.

Don't jump to conclusions Cleve. Whether dismissing the brothers was a good business choice or not remains to be seen.

How well did dismissing Phil Robertson work out?

Oh..and "conservative" double standards? You make me laugh. It's amusing when you project.

I bet HGTV has a pretty big percentage of gay viewers. Just saying...

Blacks, not so much.

WSS

The show was about 2 brothers fixing up houses for poor people and as long as they stayed on that theme why does a person's personal lives and beliefs even come into play? For example I don't care for Keith Olbermans politics at all but he actually can be entertaining when he stays on sports and I never wanted to see him let go because of his political views I just wanted to see his political views kept out of sports. BTW - I saw where he was let go again by ESPN because he just can't keep from having his commentary on everything.

You are correct woody, and remember that I'm usually a fan of situational ethics. I suppose I should be within my rights to tell the asshole to move his van from in front of my business. I might even find a reason to shit can the guy. ( if he is in fact the kind of asshole you thinks that sticker is cool ... ) True enough.. Should I be also free to tell my waiter not to park his car with the rainbow sticker in front of my place?

Or an Obama or Hillary or black power sticker?

WSS

If there is sufficient show cause, sure.

The show was about 2 brothers fixing up houses for poor people and as long as they stayed on that theme why does a person's personal lives and beliefs even come into play? For example I don't care for Keith Olbermans politics at all but he actually can be entertaining when he stays on sports and I never wanted to see him let go because of his political views I just wanted to see his political views kept out of sports. BTW - I saw where he was let go again by ESPN because he just can't keep from having his commentary on everything.

Sigh. Because HGTV's viewership if it includes a lot of gay people is probably somewhat to the left, fair to say? So they might have some reason in their heads to attack conservativism or anything that you feel wouldn't be conducive to their audience.

That makes more sense to me then NASCAR banning the Confederate flag says I would imagine a great deal of their audience consists of hillbillies.

WSS

Sigh. Because HGTV's viewership if it includes a lot of gay people is probably somewhat to the left, fair to say? So they might have some reason in their heads to attack conservativism or anything that you feel wouldn't be conducive to their audience.

That makes more sense to me then NASCAR banning the Confederate flag says I would imagine a great deal of their audience consists of hillbillies.

WSS

I don't know why HGTV would necessarily have more gay people watching than any other cable network? I don't like this political correctness that has just about taken over the country. Boycotts galore today and I saw where Hispanic leaders are calling on more businesses to pull out from Donald Trump. They can never try and punish him enough for his speech they did not like.

Latino Leader Urges More Businesses to Cut Ties From Trump

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/civil-rights-group-leader-presses-trump-fallout-32348501

I don't know why HGTV would necessarily have more gay people watching than any other cable network? I don't like this political correctness that has just about taken over the country. Boycotts galore today and I saw where Hispanic leaders are calling on more businesses to pull out from Donald Trump. They can never try and punish him enough for his speech they did not like.

Latino Leader Urges More Businesses to Cut Ties From Trump

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/civil-rights-group-leader-presses-trump-fallout-32348501

You can't understand why HGTV, a television station centered around home decorating, might appeal to gay people? Really? Do you think there are more or less than average gay people in the chorus on Broadway? Or ballet? How about male nursing? Hairdressers? Waiters?

WSS

You can't understand why HGTV, a television station centered around home decorating, might appeal to gay people? Really? Do you think there are more or less than average gay people in the chorus on Broadway? Or ballet? How about male nursing? Hairdressers? Waiters?

WSS

You might be right, I don't watch HGTV but I never thought of it as exclusively interior design but landscaping, gardening, home remodeling, and really never even gave it a thought that it might attract more of a gay audience. I thought of it more as focused on the average home owner going to Home Depot and doing home repairs and remodeling.

but we already have a real life version of this. The WBC (all 40 members). And *everyone* understands they're ridiculous, and thus writes them off (as Steve suggests would happen)

You might be right, I don't watch HGTV but I never thought of it as exclusively interior design but landscaping, gardening, home remodeling, and really never even gave it a thought that it might attract more of a gay audience. I thought of it more as focused on the average home owner going to Home Depot and doing home repairs and remodeling.

Heh

Susie watches it almost non stop.

There's not a huge amount of this old house, but some.

WSS

but we already have a real life version of this. The WBC (all 40 members). And *everyone* understands they're ridiculous, and thus writes them off (as Steve suggests would happen)

So let's say I have an employee that is a WBC member. Good employee, keeps his views private in the store (... just pretend). But when he comes to work each day, he drives a vehicle with your standard anti-gay hate speech on it. Maybe there are some signs in the back too. Over time, customers begin to associate his views with my business, and I am clearly seeing my revenue suffer. I ask for him to drive another car, or remove the hate speech from this one. He refuses. Am I now able to fire him to protect my business? I say I should be.

What if the employee simply says that marriage is between a man and a woman,

maybe on a press interview/poll in some mall....

and a lot of folks know where he works, and you get upset that he works for you?

Or he's black or hispanic or gay...and a lot of local folk are stopping to go

to your business?

fire em? after all.......

Archived