THE BROWNS BOARD

Roster Moves 10/24

Zombo

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/10/24/browns-claim-callahan-ikard/

The Browns have claimed rookie quarterbackJoe Callahan after he was waived by the Saints on Saturday, NFL Network reported.

The Saints had claimed Callahan from the Packers eight days earlier. With the Browns, Callahan finds himself as close to actually playing as he’s been after Browns rookie quarterback Cody Kessler suffered a concussion in Sunday’s loss at Cincinnati.

Rookie Kevin Hogan took over for Kessler. The Browns had Kessler and Hogan active for Sunday’s game, and Josh McCown has been working his way back from a broken collarbone. It’s not yet known if Kessler or McCown will be cleared ahead of Sunday’s game vs. the Jets.

An undrafted rookie out of Div. III Wesley, Callahan played against the Browns in August, starting the preseason opener for both the Browns and the Packers. He got extended time in the preseason because Packers backup Brett Hundley was battling an ankle injury, and he’s used that to make a bunch of game checks. Both the Packers and Saints waived him late in the week due to injury situations at other positions.

The Browns also claimed offensive line Gabe Ikard, per a tweet from Ikard’s agent, Ken Sarnoff. Ikard was waived last week by the Bills as they activated first-round pickShaq Lawson and made other roster moves to address injury situations.

The addition of Ikard, who’s played in six career games, is probably related to the situation involving Browns center Cameron Erving, who had to leave Sunday’s game due to an illness. Erving suffered a bruised lung earlier in the season.

At 0-7, the Browns are taking advantage of their standing atop the waiver wire to see if they can find future contributors.

Waived FB Malcolm Johnson

Waived Hillary too...

The Cleveland Browns have claimed QB Joe Callahan via waivers from New Orleans and OL Gabe Ikard via waivers from Buffalo. To make room on the roster, the team waived DBDarius Hillaryicon-article-link.gif and FB Malcolm Johnsonicon-article-link.gif.

Callahan is a 6-1, 216-pound rookie out of Wesley College. Originally signed by the Packers as an undrafted free agent, he completed 54 of 88 passes for 499 yards with three touchdowns and zero interceptions during the preseason. He spent five weeks with Green Bay during the regular season and the past two weeks with New Orleans. As a senior at Wesley in 2015, he threw for 5,063 yards, becoming the first NCAA Division III quarterback to throw for 5,000 yards in a season. A native of Absecon, N.J., he graduated from Holy Spirit High School.

Ikard is 6-4, 300-pounds and in his third NFL season out of Oklahoma. Originally signed by the Titans as an undrafted free agent in 2014, Ikard has appeared in six career games. He was acquired by the Browns via waivers in 2015 and was inactive for one contest. This season, he appeared in two games with the Bills. A native of Oklahoma City, Ikard graduated from Bishop McGuinness High School.

Hillary was signed to the Browns practice squad on Tuesday and was elevated to the active roster on Friday. He dressed but did not play in Sunday’s game.

Johnson, a sixth-round draft pick in 2015, appeared in 19 games, including all seven this season. He had one career carry for two yards and nine career receptions for 59 yards.

OH BABY SUPER BOWL BOUND

Another in a long line of decent quarterback prospects added by Hue Jack. Smart, efficient, and shredded us in the preseason.

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2016/10/24/13382904/browns-claim-qb-joe-callahan-on-waivers-no-packers-practice-squad

Hogan had 100 rushing yards and a TD! Keep him at QB!

We needed another QB on the roster in case neither Kessler or McCown get cleared this week. I imagine the pecking order is like this if all healthy:

Kessler

McCown

Hogan

Bo Callahan

If neither Kess nor Josh can play Sunday, you'll get your wish. Doesn't sound like Cody's concussion is bad though.

Zombo

Another in a long line of decent quarterback prospects added by Hue Jack. Smart, efficient, and shredded us in the preseason.

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2016/10/24/13382904/browns-claim-qb-joe-callahan-on-waivers-no-packers-practice-squad

Don't see any of these moves as a bad move, Yet. The Bo(nice Z)Callahan article, I get more out of fans comments than the article. Ikard at 6'4 304 can't be much worst than Cam. Bigger at size than M. Matthews/Gerhardt I believe. Get Reiter back next season & throw em all in camp. Trade deadline out there, maybe a team will give up something stupid for McCown but surly not RGknee's. Could see a JMc showcase game if he can go? Bye-Bye M.Johnson, I have never yet seen a Hybrid TE/FB ever work at a FB position. My guess would be Get Eddie Lacy FAT...

We waived Malcolm Johnson?!

That is NEWS.

I find it odd...

Everybody talking about bo and the QB's, I'm here stoked for Dan Vitale! Johnson was awful last year and he though he has improved this year it's not enough to warrant keeping him

Is it Vitale that well be seeing??.....

Does anyone think its weird that Malcolm was the starting fullback and was getting reps.....and Vitale has not taken a snap......yet the guy they cut was the same guy they gave all the reps too?

Seems really ass backwards to me.....

I find it odd...

Don't think MJ ever got over the fumble in Miami? A week of practice went by(maybe more fumbles?) & Pooooof!! Vitale was on PS..If they listened to us & drafted Tyler Varga we would not be here...How good would Jatavis Brown look on this joke of a D? (were breaking in our war room in 17)

I find it odd...

Is it Vitale that well be seeing??.....

Does anyone think its weird that Malcolm was the starting fullback and was getting reps.....and Vitale has not taken a snap......yet the guy they cut was the same guy they gave all the reps too?

Seems really ass backwards to me.....

Some teams aren't carrying a fb on the roster anymore for obvious reasons.

Umm, yes. I think it's kinda' weird. Especially since the guy made a nice catch and run for 21 yards against Cincy.

"after further review"(puke) Hue may have seen 1 to many missed blitz pick ups with Malcolm. A risk for Duke? Lets just see if Vitale can stop a truck in a hole..

Professional Stage? To play or not to play? That is the question. :P

(until the last syllable of recorded time) - I know. Different "play".

Archived