THE BROWNS BOARD

Who Are Our Final Cuts?

TexasAg1969

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Down to 53 by 4pm est this Sat. We have a lot of hard decisions to make in the FO.

Looking at the roster, I could take a crack at the guys I've never heard of getting the axe- but I won't. The only cut I'm really interested in is if Pryor makes the final 53. He can't be stashed on Practice squad.

I do wonder why they didn't keep Shaw active, put him on the 53- and then use the IR designated to return on him. Enlighten me if there's a limit to how many players you can use that on. If it's only one, I understand their thinking. I think Shaw would be more valuable down the road than any of the other 22 hangers on that are going to get the boot.

Looking at the roster, I could take a crack at the guys I've never heard of getting the axe- but I won't. The only cut I'm really interested in is if Pryor makes the final 53. He can't be stashed on Practice squad.

I do wonder why they didn't keep Shaw active, put him on the 53- and then use the IR designated to return on him. Enlighten me if there's a limit to how many players you can use that on. If it's only one, I understand their thinking. I think Shaw would be more valuable down the road than any of the other 22 hangers on that are going to get the boot.

You can only have one player per season on the IR/designated to return list if I recall correctly. I wouldn't waste it on a person who, as it stands right now, is a third-string QB. If we're in the position where we would need him this season, we're probably better off just bringing in a vet.

Roster (not depth chart)

QB - McCown, Manziel - 2

RB - Duke, West, Crowell - 3

TE - Barnidge, Dray, Bibbs - 3

WR - Bowe, Hartline, Hawkins, Gabriel, Benjamin, Pryor, Moore, Mayle - 8

FB - Johnson - 1

OL - Thomas, Bitonio, Mack, Greco, Schwartz, Erving, A. McDonald - 7

Total = 24

DL - Shelton, D. Bryant, Starks, Cooper, Hughes, Meder, Winn, A. Bryant - 8

LB - Solomon, Robertson, Orchard, Dansby, Mingo, Kruger, Kirksey, Carder - 8

DB - Whitner, T. Williams, Haden, Gipson, Campbell, Poyer, Desir, Gilbert, K. Williams, Poyer, Bademosi - 10

Total = 26; 50

ST - Coons, Lee, Hughlett - 3

Total = 3; 53

PS:

James, Kendall
Flanders, Timothy
Jennings
Feichter, Landon
McDaniel, Jacobbi
Wynn, Dylan
Saunders, De'Ante
Pullard III, Hayes
Lenz, Josh
Gaines, Charles
Notable cuts:
Housler, Lewis, Draughn, Seymour, Painter, others...

Roster (not depth chart)

QB - McCown, Manziel - 2

RB - Duke, West, Crowell - 3

TE - Barnidge, Dray, Bibbs - 3

WR - Bowe, Hartline, Hawkins, Gabriel, Benjamin, Pryor, Moore, Mayle - 8

FB - Johnson - 1

OL - Thomas, Bitonio, Mack, Greco, Schwartz, Erving, A. McDonald - 7

Total = 24

DL - Shelton, D. Bryant, Starks, Cooper, Hughes, Meder, Winn, A. Bryant - 8

LB - Solomon, Robertson, Orchard, Dansby, Mingo, Kruger, Kirksey, Carder - 8

DB - Whitner, T. Williams, Haden, Gipson, Campbell, Poyer, Desir, Gilbert, K. Williams, Poyer, Bademosi - 10

Total = 26; 50

ST - Coons, Lee, Hughlett - 3

Total = 3; 53

PS:

James, Kendall

Flanders, Timothy

Jennings

Feichter, Landon

McDaniel, Jacobbi

Wynn, Dylan

Saunders, De'Ante

Pullard III, Hayes

Lenz, Josh

Gaines, Charles

Notable cuts:

Housler, Lewis, Draughn, Seymour, Painter, others...

Gaines, Lenz and Pullard would not make it to the practice squad after what they put on tape the last month. They would make another team's 53. Don't see us cutting draft pick Pullard, real tough decisions on the other two.

Z

Gaines, Lenz and Pullard would not make it to the practice squad after what they put on tape the last month. They would make another team's 53. Don't see us cutting draft pick Pullard, real tough decisions on the other two.

Z

Right, Gaines could beat out Poyer or Bademosi. Pullard could take Carder's slot.

Lenz, I don't know. Do you think he could beat out Mayle or Moore?

Right, Gaines could beat out Poyer or Bademosi. Pullard could take Carder's slot.

I think he HAS beaten out Mayle, but it is hard for the staff to cut bait with a 4th round pick.

Would love to be a fly on the wall in the receivers room, interesting decisions to be made. You have to assume Hartline, Hawk and Gabe are safe and Pet said Bowe safe too. So when you look at 5th, 6th, 7th receivers you are looking at special teamers and versatility. And I think that puts Pryor and Moore on the roster. So we are talking 7th receiver Lenz or Mayle? Somethings gotta give, thats a lot of fucking receivers.

Z

Z

Gaines was a 6th round pick as well. It was a toss up between Carder and Pullard, and it likely won't make a huge difference in the end who our 4th ILB is (if it does our season isn't going anywhere anyway). I'm just going on what Carder brings on ST, as well as Pettine's glowing report of him earlier in the pre-season.

Poyer is the #3 safety IMO behind gip and whitner. Bademosi is a lock because of ST.

Do we really need Moore?

Again, a core STer, along with Bademosi. Those two aren't going anywhere.

I think he HAS beaten out Mayle, but it is hard for the staff to cut bait with a 4th round pick.

Would love to be a fly on the wall in the receivers room, interesting decisions to be made. You have to assume Hartline, Hawk and Gabe are safe and Pet said Bowe safe too. So when you look at 5th, 6th, 7th receivers you are looking at special teamers and versatility. And I think that puts Pryor and Moore on the roster. So we are talking 7th receiver Lenz or Mayle? Somethings gotta give, thats a lot of fucking receivers.

Z

Bowe, Hartline, Hawkins and Gabe, but also Benjamin - he's been our best WR this summer, and he looks to have his confidence back in the return game. Regardless of whether his TD was a gimme - huge lanes, no contact - it'll do wonders for his confidence. That leaves 2 or 3 spots. Mayle, like you say, is a 4th round pick, so more likely to stay on the active roster than a UDFA (who's less likely to get picked up from PS). Then one or two - Moore, for KR and being a ST gunner, isn't going anywhere. If we cut Draughn, as I have, we need Moore. That leaves maybe room for one more - could be Lenz, though he's been decent, but not *spectacular*. More likely would be Jennings given his KR prowess. Both would likely end up on the PS. Pryor is the odd man out - either cut him or keep him, no PS (I believe). In this scenario we keep him, but I could swap him out for Jennings.

Yeah I forgot Benji, who will be a big part of the offense and ST. So five locks. I think Pryor and Moore would be the the value picks there, leaving Mayle, Lenz and Jennings on the outside looking in. Those are some tough cuts.

Z

Also, as much as people don't want to talk about it, Pryor does have a handle on the system and could be the pinch QB3. If McCown goes down, I don't doubt JFF is the starter, and we bring in a Matt Cassell or someone, but if both QBs go down on game day, Pryor can step in.

Gaines was a 6th round pick as well. It was a toss up between Carder and Pullard, and it likely won't make a huge difference in the end who our 4th ILB is (if it does our season isn't going anywhere anyway). I'm just going on what Carder brings on ST, as well as Pettine's glowing report of him earlier in the pre-season.

Poyer is the #3 safety IMO behind gip and whitner. Bademosi is a lock because of ST.

Again, a core STer, along with Bademosi. Those two aren't going anywhere.

Bowe, Hartline, Hawkins and Gabe, but also Benjamin - he's been our best WR this summer, and he looks to have his confidence back in the return game. Regardless of whether his TD was a gimme - huge lanes, no contact - it'll do wonders for his confidence. That leaves 2 or 3 spots. Mayle, like you say, is a 4th round pick, so more likely to stay on the active roster than a UDFA (who's less likely to get picked up from PS). Then one or two - Moore, for KR and being a ST gunner, isn't going anywhere. If we cut Draughn, as I have, we need Moore. That leaves maybe room for one more - could be Lenz, though he's been decent, but not *spectacular*. More likely would be Jennings given his KR prowess. Both would likely end up on the PS. Pryor is the odd man out - either cut him or keep him, no PS (I believe). In this scenario we keep him, but I could swap him out for Jennings.

Mayle was also playing on STs....in fact played the gunner role I believe. What does Moore bring to the table that Mayle doesn't....besides experience?

Also, as much as people don't want to talk about it, Pryor does have a handle on the system and could be the pinch QB3. If McCown goes down, I don't doubt JFF is the starter, and we bring in a Matt Cassell or someone, but if both QBs go down on game day, Pryor can step in.

Pryor ran at least 2-3 Wilddawg plays last night....just to get the ball in his hands. (because Lewis sure the hell could not) So there is that play package on the board with him.

I heard Bowe is playing tonight....... Anyone else think this it's odd for a multi year vet to play in game 4?

The times I watched Bowe- he played like crap. Couldn't get separation against 3rd string corners- not good.

I would "hate" to lose Lenz. With the history of drops in this city, man that kid is a flycatcher. And lest we forget he had some catches in the first or 2nd game where flat out beat some starting DB's on a pure vertical route. Kid has quicks. Not the biggest guy so I dunno, maybe not at Welkers level yet cause that guy you could send anywhere. But given some time I think Lenz can be the next welker.

Mayle was also playing on STs....in fact played the gunner role I believe. What does Moore bring to the table that Mayle doesn't....besides experience?

Proven ability in special teams and kick returns. You want to 'just' call that experience, and then discount it, then fine. I doubt that's how a GM works.

Proven ability in special teams and kick returns. You want to 'just' call that experience, and then discount it, then fine. I doubt that's how a GM works.

Well, if you are going to carry a Wide Receiver, then that WR has to actually do that.

When have we ever seen Marlon Moore make a catch for the Browns? He has exactly -0- catches in his career with the Browns.

Plus....he is not all that good at the return game. He had 13 kickoff returns ....his longest being 32 yards.

He had a few tackles on special teams.

I just don't see the quality....or potential there. Not like a Travis Benjamin. He doesn't make me forget Josh Cribbs.

Archived