THE BROWNS BOARD

FCC approves sweeping internet regulation plan wanted by Obama

DieHardBrownsFan

Outside of scary words like "regulation", and the belief that Obama will use the govt to take control of the internet to support marxist, liberal, nazi, ISIS members... what are some of the real negatives to this ruling?

I'm not saying there aren't any, I'm just curious.

Outside of scary words like "regulation", and the belief that Obama will use the govt to take control of the internet to support marxist, liberal, nazi, ISIS members... what are some of the real negatives to this ruling?

I'm not saying there aren't any, I'm just curious.

" The commission, following a contentious meeting, voted 3-2 to adopt its so-called net neutrality plan -- a proposal that remained secret in the run-up to the final vote."

oh I dont know... how about most of us feeling snakebit from another "secretly" passed vote that meant government control?

taxes. "fair share" use of the internet. Taxes on purchases over the internet.

Taxes on having a forum board on the internet.

Taxes for pictures uploaded to the internet.

Taxes for hooking up to the internet.

Taxes for each computer hooked up to the internet.

Obamao taxes to fund the utopian poor black peoples' marxist regime of Obamao.

"sigh"

But I asked first...

I think the internet should be a utility because is becoming damn near necessary. If being a utility limits ISPs from creating fast lanes and unfairly restricting internet access, I'm all for it. Plus, this allows google to use telephone poles, which means google fiber spreads quicker.

And we've already seen the consumers getting fucked by private companies and lack of regulation. The Net Neutrality ruling was a win for tech companies and consumers.

The only necessities I see on your list are gas stations and grocery stores.

you don't think television and radio stations are necessary? Even still would gas stations and grocery stores be better if they were utilities?

I can't personally imagine the benefits.

WSS

you don't think television and radio stations are necessary? Even still would gas stations and grocery stores be better if they were utilities?

I can't personally imagine the benefits.

WSS

Radio stations have federal laws protecting them, not like a utility, but they are protected to make sure that a least one in a area is manned at all times in case of emergency.

In today's world do you think a Phone line should still be a utility? Do you think it should be a utility over Internet?

Making the Internet a utility will help to keep outages to a minium, and if the internet goes out it would free up the same sort of funding\response as if the power went out. Though I am a bit worried about anything the gov't puts their hands on getting worse.

Or I could go with the argument that Internet could\should be consider to take the place of the Postal Service with emails, the Phone Company if you use VoIP, and be used more effectively to communicate news and emergencies than local radio\TV\Newspapers.

Well yes you could. And that would be a great example of government inefficiency.

I don't think there's any reason that everything in our lives must be controlled by the federal government, do you?

I'll admit there are some things government takes care of that work but we only know how it is not how it could be if it were all private.

WSS

And to the last paragraph of your previous post I agree I think the government has a tendency to fuck things up. I don't think their goal would be prompt and efficient service should there be an internet outage anymore then Time Warner wood see it. I think the government, also like Time Warner, would be thinking of different ways to gouge the taxpayer.

WSS

Well yes you could. And that would be a great example of government inefficiency.

I don't think there's any reason that everything in our lives must be controlled by the federal government, do you?

I'll admit there are some things government takes care of that work but we only know how it is not how it could be if it were all private.

WSS

The internet is still going to be private owned and provided mostly by the ISP's, just like the phone and electricity providers. They have not moved to privatize or anything.

And to the last paragraph of your previous post I agree I think the government has a tendency to fuck things up. I don't think their goal would be prompt and efficient service should there be an internet outage anymore then Time Warner wood see it. I think the government, also like Time Warner, would be thinking of different ways to gouge the taxpayer.

WSS

Time Warner\Comcast do a good enough job already on the gouging ;)

And I think the Government is better at customer service lol

That is something that needs to be either completely overhauled or handed over to a company like UPS\Fedex.

I do think mail delivery is a pretty good deal but I've always wondered how a private company might do it, whether it would be better or not? No reason federal law should prohibit a private carrier from using the mailbox that I paid for an installed. Of course cynic that I am I'd expect whatever windfall the taxpayer would get would find its way elsewhere.

WSS

Archived