THE BROWNS BOARD

Can congress do this?

sadbrownsfan

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/25/politics/republicans-dc-pot-legalization/index.html

While we could argue if pot should/should not be legal, my question is how can congress overwrite 70% of voters in the D.C. to enforce it to remain illegal? I assume this stems from the complications of D.C., but I feel this would be like if Ohio(or another state) voted to legalize and the state government went against it? Thoughts from the other side?

We are a republic, not a democracy. And really, we're not even a republic, more of an oligarchy. Individual votes don't matter as much as money, and the people with money want weed to stay illegal for the time being. Private, for-profit prisons, anyone?

Anyone who's on probation has to pay all sorts of legal fees, and it gets worse with fines if they break some of the unrealistic expectations that probation requires. You put a bunch of non-violent pot smokers on probation, and your county gets lots of money in return. Pretty messed up, if you ask me.

Yeah how dare they trample all over the will of the people? Please. Can anyone think of any other circumstances where voters wishes have been overturned by the feds? Lets see some hands kids.

WSS

Federal Judges overturning state ballot initiatives on marriage?

Going back to the 1980s, Ohioans voted to lower drinking age to 21(ballot initiative). Several years later the Feds told Ohio that 21 was the drinking age or else they wouldn't return our share of gas taxes/highway funds.

Oh, and in 1861 a few southern states had ballot initiatives and legilsative initiatives stating they wanted out of the Union. I'm trying to remember how that worked out for them.....

Mochican touched on this - but with all the marriage initiatives- 1 man 1 woman reversals by all the wacked activist judges (CA for one,)

before of which obama and holder decided to shit can DOMA and rreally started the run towards gay marriage rights

Also - some states dealing with voter id laws getting the ole switcheroo the people voted for it, but surprise.. some judge didnt like it and

struck it down "unconstitutional".... :mad:

Archived