THE BROWNS BOARD

National Geographic - The War On Science

MLD Woody

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2015/03/science-doubters/achenbach-text

ao01YpX_700b.jpg

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2015/01/150129-public-opinion-aaas-health-education-science/

http://www.pewinternet.org/2015/01/29/public-and-scientists-views-on-science-and-society/

PI_2015-01-29_science-and-society-00-01.

"A lot of scientific issues have become politicized," Miller says. "I think this report is kind of tiptoeing around that reality, where the [u.S.] Republican party has sought political support from voters with religious views who are often hostile to science."

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2015-01/asa-mrp012615.php

"Ours is the first study of the U.S. public that examines perspectives on science and religion in tandem," he said. "In doing so, our study uncovers a previously unidentified group of well-informed people who are appreciative of science and technology's social uses, but who are deeply religious and who reject certain scientific theories in favor of religious ones."

Among these post-seculars, more than 90 percent agree with contemporary scientific theories about geology, radioactivity, and planetary motion, but only 6 percent believe that the universe began with a huge explosion. Even fewer -- 3 percent of post-seculars -- agree that humans evolved from earlier animals.

In addition, 48 percent of post-seculars believe that the Bible is the literal word of God, compared to 31 percent of all U.S.adults, 46 percent of traditionals, and 3 percent of moderns. Post-seculars also report the greatest strength of religious affiliation as compared to traditionals and moderns.

Just curious, would everyone mind putting their answers in?

I'm pretty much in line with the AAAS (shocking, given my career as a scientist). I'm in the middle when it comes to drilling and fracking. I believe that astronauts are an integral part of the NASA mission even though the majority of probes we send up are robots.

"A lot of scientific issues have become politicized," Miller says. "I think this report is kind of tiptoeing around that reality, where the [u.S.] Republican party has sought political support from voters with religious views who are often hostile to science."

demagogue much?

demagogue much?

That's the US two-party political system in a nutshell. Keep the masses split on issues like abortion and gun control, meanwhile both parties are responsible for giving more and more rights to corporate entities while reducing the rights of the individual.

That's the US two-party political system in a nutshell. Keep the masses split on issues like abortion and gun control, meanwhile both parties are responsible for giving more and more rights to corporate entities while reducing the rights of the individual.

That's human nature in that nutshell. Three parties four parties five parties a hundred won't change that.

WSS

One section at a time. In the biomedical section I agree with the scientists on every issue. The one I have a problem with is research on animals. If it's necessary, I mean really necessary, I'm okay with it though I don't particularly love it. If it's not truly necessary and starts to overlap with animal cruelty which I believe it can then... The rest fine with me.

WSS

Section number 2 I mostly agree with the scientists though I'm not sure what the ratio is of mankind and global warming. I do think mankind has an effect. I also think that the population could presented a serious problem. Fracking offshore drilling are both fine withe fossil fuels until the next shit is Might as well use the fossil fuels until the next shit is ready to go. I really don't think cutting into the food supply for the inefficient fuel it produces is a good idea. Screw biofuel. Energy will be cheaper and more efficient especially if people quit being pussies about nuclear energy. Space stations? Too soon to tell if they're worth the investment, not so far. Astronauts? I would think not for a long time will they be necessary. As long as it takes a lifetime to get anywhere else with wife unmanned probes are all we have.

did I miss anything?

WSS

One section at a time. In the biomedical section I agree with the scientists on every issue. The one I have a problem with is research on animals. If it's necessary, I mean really necessary, I'm okay with it though I don't particularly love it. If it's not truly necessary and starts to overlap with animal cruelty which I believe it can then... The rest fine with me.

WSS

Animal testing is probably miserable for every animal involved, but IUCACs are in place at every US research facility to make sure the animals are treated as humanely as possible while still meeting the needs of the research project. Animal research cannot be conducted without IUCAC approval. Nearly every Nobel prize for Physiology and Medicine has been awarded to research that utilized an animal model. Without animal research, medicine wouldn't even be a shadow of what it is today.

Here's a list of those Nobel prizes and the animals they used: http://www.animalresearch.info/en/medical-advances/nobel-prizes/

Animal testing is probably miserable for every animal involved, but IUCACs are in place at every US research facility to make sure the animals are treated as humanely as possible while still meeting the needs of the research project. Animal research cannot be conducted without IUCAC approval. Nearly every Nobel prize for Physiology and Medicine has been awarded to research that utilized an animal model. Without animal research, medicine wouldn't even be a shadow of what it is today.

Here's a list of those Nobel prizes and the animals they used: http://www.animalresearch.info/en/medical-advances/nobel-prizes/

Oh I'm not disputing the benefits. I just don't like it and what to make sure there's absolutely no unnecessary cruelty allowed.

WSS

bio med sciences aside-

the chart above isnt only skewed towards the left, its an obama led paradigm shift!

I mean every red blooded tea party libertarian republican WANTS fracking

the wimpy fracking total above smacks of liberal mass transit types!

also - no self respecting republican will agree with such high total favoritism with bio fuels!

it costs more $$ to develop than to offset benefit!

our motto on spending money for failed endeavors are an anathema ;)

bio med sciences aside-

the chart above isnt only skewed towards the left, its an obama led paradigm shift!

I mean every red blooded tea party libertarian republican WANTS fracking

the wimpy fracking total above smacks of liberal mass transit types!

also - no self respecting republican will agree with such high total favoritism with bio fuels!

it costs more $$ to develop than to offset benefit!

our motto on spending money for failed endeavors are an anathema ;)

If these items were shifted as you perceive them then it would just further make tho article's point

Like Unit 731? No thanks.

Are you talking about the Japanese? I doubt many scientists would perform thr kind of things they were doing and it was disgusting but they weren't testing on the dregs of society but plain old subjugated citizens.

And Like it or not they made medical advances

I would think maybe asking death row inmates if they wanted to volunteer for experimental treatments and other such things would be ethically fine. But forcing prisoners to submit to medical tests and procedures would make us another Nazi Germany.

Well just to be the devil's advocate we do require them to submit to the gas chamber or whatever form of execution the state uses...

WSS

Nazi Germany experimented on innocent people. Children even. Convicted murderers can fuck themselves. They have no value to society so I could care about their rights.

And though I can't provide exact numbers I would assume that only a tiny fraction of murderers wind up on death row, and those that do have probably committed the most heinous of crimes.

WSS

Archived