THE BROWNS BOARD

Todd Marinovich back in football

The Gipper

Sometimes you just wonder why, money, other?....

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/bartolo-colon-signs-minor-league-deal-with-minnesota-twins-1.13788300

....ST. LOUIS Bartolo Colon engineered a memorable late-career run by perfecting the art of pumping well-spotted fastballs. But it turns out that the 44-year-old righthander still has a decent changeup, too.

Colon is headed back to New York but to Rochester, home of the Twins Triple-A affiliate, not Flushing.

In a surprise, he spurned the overtures of the Mets to sign a minor-league deal with the Twins, who announced the move last night with a tweet referencing Colon by the nickname he earned during his colorful tenure at Citi Field: Big Sexy.

According to a source, the Mets were caught off guard by the decision, especially given that he was told hed be moved into the back end of the starting rotation when ready. But Colon seemed to have concern about being bumped into the bullpen once the Mets injured starters got healthy. We made a strong effort to re-sign Bartolo, general manager Sandy Alderson said in a statement issued by the club. But he decided to go elsewhere.......

Some love the game.

Some love the game.

That might be true for a select few especially for players that are set for life and continue to play.

I wonder how many have blown their fortunes and need to play, tough assignment after 35 or 40. (yeah I'm a money guy)

I'm 35 and not quite as spongey as I was at 25 but I can still manage a few rabbits out of my hat from time to time.

I'm 35 and not quite as spongey as I was at 25 but I can still manage a few rabbits out of my hat from time to time.

Question is will someone pay you to manage a few from time to time or put another way are you good enough to hang on like a LHP or a serviceable backup QB?

Marijuanavich at 48? Hey, we're waiting til the 12th of Never for Josh Gordon. And after all the silly conversations about DGB lately, I'm suddenly finding myself way more willing to go Linus in the Pumpkin Patch for Gordon.

Marijuanavich at 48? Hey, we're waiting til the 12th of Never for Josh Gordon. And after all the silly conversations about DGB lately, I'm suddenly finding myself way more willing to go Linus in the Pumpkin Patch for Gordon.

Maybe the Robo-QB discovered some new Gatorade concoction that will keep him a viable NFL QB into his 50s. :lol:

Maybe the Robo-QB discovered some new Gatorade concoction that will keep him a viable NFL QB into his 50s. :lol:

He wasn't playing in the NFL....It was for like the California Coyotes or something.....some semi-pro league. Maybe even like a 35 and over league.

What a waste of forum space.

OK....lets waste some more: George Blanda played until he was like 49 years old.

What other really old geezers played in the NFL (non-kickers).

and Satchel Paige still pitched in the big leagues until he was like 59.

OK....lets waste some more: George Blanda played until he was like 49 years old.

What other really old geezers played in the NFL (non-kickers).

and Satchel Paige still pitched in the big leagues until he was like 59.

Blanda played as a kicker and QB when the NFL had little guys, he'd get destroyed today.

Paige was a rare rubber armed freak!

Blanda played as a kicker and QB when the NFL had little guys, he'd get destroyed today.

Paige was a rare rubber armed freak!

Those guys in the 70's weren't exactly "little guys" ... I think your Mean Joe Greenes, Merlin Olsens etc. could play today ... and Blanda engineered 5 comeback wins in a row at age 43

Zombo

Those guys in the 70's weren't exactly "little guys" ... I think your Mean Joe Greenes, Merlin Olsens etc. could play today ... and Blanda engineered 5 comeback wins in a row at age 43

Zombo

Yes, that bullshit about players of old getting destroyed today is a pile of ignorance. FYI, the only positions where guys are bigger now are the OL and DL...due to weight training, conditioning...and just them being fatter.

The average height/weight of RBs is no more now than today. (compare Jim Brown at 6'2 232. OJ was 6'1" 212. RBs are no bigger than that. Weight training may have them weigh a bit more. WRs today are probably smaller overall. The game back then required big WRs due to bump and run. Smurfs like we have now would get destroyed. DBs and LBs are really no bigger now.

Night Train Lane was 6'1 200. Mel Blount 6'3" 201. On LBs. Dick Butkus was 6'3 245. Nitschke was 6'2 240. Our MLB today, Christian Kirksey is 6'2 236.

QBs may, overall be an inch or so taller overall. But you still have a lot of 6'2 QBs playing now. Blanda was 6'2 220. Aaron Rodgers is 6'2" 225.

So, given that Blanda and Rodgers are essentially the same dimensions, height/weight...does that mean that Rodgers would get destroyed today as well?

With the less strict rules about hitting the QBs than we have now it is Rodgers et al who may have been destroyed....by a Joe Greene, Merlin Olsen slobberknocker hit....that would not have been penalized.

Zombo

1964 BROWNS only two 270# DEs on the team all the rest way less.

NOTE: NOT THE ROSTER I WANTED BUT CLOSE:

http://www.news-herald.com/article/HR/20141227/NEWS/141229705

1974 SB CHAMP STEELERS Joe Green 6' 4" 275# all the rest weigh less some much less. NO 300# dudes back then.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/1974_roster.htm

Some of those dudes would have trouble making a 2017 roster. Different game now, even NCAA rosters are fast strong and B-I-G.

Just part of the 2017 BUCKEYES roster, B-I-G dudes! (8 from OHIO 5 others)

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/osu-m-footbl-mtt.html

50 Brock, Nathan OL 6-4 285 SO Powell, Ohio (Olentangy Liberty)

52 Davis, Wyatt OL 6-4 310 FR Bellflower, Calif. (St. John Bosco)

53 Hamilton, Davon DT 6-4 300 RS SO Pickerington, Ohio (Central)

54 Price, Billy OL 6-4 312 SR Austintown, Ohio (Fitch)

55 Barrow, Malik DT 6-2 290 RS FR Tampa, Fla. (Catholic & IMG Academy)

58 Alabi, Joshua DT 6-5 300 RS SO Detroit, Mich. (Cass Tech)

59 Lewis, Tyquan DL 6-4 265 SR Tarboro, N.C. (Tarboro)

59 Prince, Isaiah OL 6-7 310 JR Greenbelt, Md. (Eleanor Roosevelt)

60 Pfenning, Blake OL 6-5 290 JR Wapakoneta, Ohio (Wapakoneta)

61 Cupp, Gavin OL 6-5 305 RS FR Leipsic, Ohio (Leipsic H.S.)

62 Pahl, Brandon OL 6-2 295 JR Cutler, Ohio (Warren)

63 Woidke, Kevin OL 6-6 295 JR Cleveland, Ohio (St. Ignatius)

64 Wohlabaugh, Jack OL 6-4 293 RS FR Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio (Walsh Jesuit)

Zombo

Just to complete the circle Olson and two other guys weighed 270# on the 1975 Rams. Blanda and other skilled players were getting hit by smaller dudes back then. It's strange when you go back in time and find out how your memory can play tricks on you....the steel curtain and fearsome foursome weren't really that big afterall.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/ram/1975_roster.htm

Maybe if this was about Brett favre, or even bernie but Marinovich oh my

This is a joke , right?

Not yet but it will be. He was arrested again last August. Apparently practicing his Naked Bootleg in the neighbor's back yard. He must have gone through every substance known. He is trying to numb some pain. There are some real monstrosities out there serving as sports parents, pro tennis parents can be pretty bad, but Marinovich's father takes the cake. I would describe what he did as a cross between the Pat Morita character in The Karate Kid and a Nazi breeding experiment.

Just to complete the circle Olson and two other guys weighed 270# on the 1975 Rams. Blanda and other skilled players were getting hit by smaller dudes back then. It's strange when you go back in time and find out how your memory can play tricks on you....the steel curtain and fearsome foursome weren't really that big afterall.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/ram/1975_roster.htm

I think you are right....YOUR memory IS playing tricks on you. As I said....the size of nearly everyone back then is no smaller now than they are today except for OL....and actually just DTs/NTs.

DEs are about the same: Deacon Jones was 6'5" 275. Myles Garrett is 6'5" 271

Yes, DT Joe Greene was 275. DTs today do top 300. On defense ONLY DTs are bigger now than they were in the 60/70s.

As I said, most of the weight gain are with DTs and OL.

So, the answer is: bullshit....Blanda et al were NOT being hit by smaller guys. Except on rare occasions.

1964 BROWNS only two 270# DEs on the team all the rest way less.

NOTE: NOT THE ROSTER I WANTED BUT CLOSE:

http://www.news-herald.com/article/HR/20141227/NEWS/141229705

1974 SB CHAMP STEELERS Joe Green 6' 4" 275# all the rest weigh less some much less. NO 300# dudes back then.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/1974_roster.htm

Some of those dudes would have trouble making a 2017 roster. Different game now, even NCAA rosters are fast strong and B-I-G.

The lineman are bigger on both sides of the ball. Particularly on offense. Which would presume a qb like Blanda would actually be better protected today, not "killed" because the guys are bigger.

Z

The lineman are bigger on both sides of the ball. Particularly on offense. Which would presume a qb like Blanda would actually be better protected today, not "killed" because the guys are bigger.

Z

To repeat....he was the same size as Aaron Rodgers.....and not only would he be playing behind a bigger OL, the protection rules for QBs that apply today would by all means help him.

And, also...as I described above...it is only DTs on the defense that are bigger, not DEs. See the following:

2017 Pro Bowl DEs:

Khalil Mack 6'3 247

Cameron Wake 6'3 269

Jadaveon Clowne 6'6 267

Everson Griffen 6'3 273

Cliff Avril 6'3 260

Michael Bennett 6'4 274

1970 Pro Bowl DEs:

Carl Eller 6'6 257

Rich Jackson 6'3 255

Deacon Jones 6'5 272

Claude Humphrey 6'4 253

Bubba Smith 6'7 266

Jerry Mays 6'4 252

Maybe what? A 5 pound average difference?

As noted, interior DTs/NTs are much bigger now:

2017 Pro Bowl DTs:

Geno Atkins 6'1 302

Ndamakong Suh 6'4 307

Jurrell Casey 6'1 300

Linval Joseph 6'4 323

Gerald McCoy 6'4 295

Fletcher Cox 6'4 298

1970 Pro Bowl DTs

Gary Larsen 6'5 261

Joe Greene 6'4 276

John Elliott 6'4 244

Merlin Olsen 6'5 270

Alan Page 6'4 245

Given their respective height, I suspect that these guys could have bulked up...if required, with the right training, nutrition. But that was not called for then.

And here are the MLBs:

2017 Pro Bowlers (many more because players bugged out due to injury):

Zach Brown 6'1 242

Ryan Shazier 6'2 229

CJ Mosley 6'2 238

Donta Hightower 6'3 265

Bobby Wagner 6'0 241

Sean Lee 6'2 229

Luke Kuechley 6'3 235

1970 Pro Bowlers:

Dick Butkus 6'3 245

Willie Lanier 6'1 245

Mick Curtis 6'3 232

Tommy Nobis 6'2 240

absolutely no difference...in fact, on average I think the 1970 group outweighs the 2017 group.

(Donta Hightower is an exception...he is like 25 pounds heavier than his fellow 2017 MLBs)

Just for shits and giggles, let's look at the QBs. This is a bit skewed because these days the QBs pussy out of the Pro Bowl...so you have 10 Pro Bowl QBs. Where, in 1970, each conference only had two QBs:

John Brodie 6'1 198

Darryl Lamonica 6'4 215

Bob Griese 6'0 190

Fran Tarkenton 6'0 190

Alex Smith 6'4 215

Ben R. 6'5 241

Derek Carr 6'3 218

Tom Brady 6'4 225

Andy Dalton 6'2 220

Drew Brees 6'0 209

Kirk Cousin 6'3 210

Dak Prescott 6'2 229

Aaron Rodgers 6'2 225

Matt Ryan 6'4 220

This group of QBs is overall taller than 1970 (I think the 1970 Pro Bowl group was pretty short...

thought 6'1 was a common height: Unitas, Bart Starr.

Others that may have made a Pro Bowl if they let in 10 guys could include the 6'5 Roman Gabriel. 6'4 Craig Morton. The 6'3 Terry Bradshaw, and a few others. But, yes, QBs today are generally taller.

I think you are right....YOUR memory IS playing tricks on you. As I said....the size of nearly everyone back then is no smaller now than they are today except for OL....and actually just DTs/NTs.

DEs are about the same: Deacon Jones was 6'5" 275. Myles Garrett is 6'5" 271

Yes, DT Joe Greene was 275. DTs today do top 300. On defense ONLY DTs are bigger now than they were in the 60/70s.

As I said, most of the weight gain are with DTs and OL.

So, the answer is: bullshit....Blanda et al were NOT being hit by smaller guys. Except on rare occasions.

I was replying to the Joe Greene and Merlin Olsen comment, they were the biggest guys on their teams and smaller than most NCAA and PRO players today. The 250, 260 guys would get crushed by the 300 and 310 today.

Archived