THE BROWNS BOARD

Canadian Nurses Working in USA Denied Entry

Osiris

TLDR: Nurses working in Detroit and other Michigan hospitals turned away at the border and are unable to get to their jobs. Their own livelihoods are now at risk as well as the lives and health of the patients they serve.

Yet more fallout from ill-conceived immigration policies. This is why immigration policy should not be determined by presidential decree, but by collaborative efforts of the house and senate. Someone explain to me how keeping out nurses makes this country safer.

TLDR: Nurses working in Detroit and other Michigan hospitals turned away at the border and are unable to get to their jobs. Their own livelihoods are now at risk as well as the lives and health of the patients they serve.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/canadian-nurses-working-in-us-rejected-1.4026554

Yet more fallout from ill-conceived immigration policies. This is why immigration policy should not be determined by presidential decree, but by collaborative efforts of the house and senate. Someone explain to me how keeping out nurses makes this country safer.

Hard to imagine how Canadian nurse would want to come to the United States given the wonderful Healthcare System they have up there.

:D

So the travel band has been implemented?

WSS

yet we have many nurses here that can't find work. Go figure. I suppose they were Muslim teachers coming across the border

since it's his highness osiris that is whining. We must fix our immigration system. There is no way to do it seamlessly

wtihout some liberals bitching.

yet we have many nurses here that can't find work. Go figure. I suppose they were Muslim teachers coming across the border

since it's his highness osiris that is whining. We must fix our immigration system. There is no way to do it seamlessly

wtihout some liberals bitching.

There is actually a huge shortage of nurses in the U.S.. My wife has to deal with it constantly and she works at a great catholic hospital.

I do get why the Canadian nurses were coming over. They were probably getting paid a good bit more than they would working for Canadian hospitals with government healthcare.

yet we have many nurses here that can't find work.

Of all your posts I could unblock, glad it was this one.

Yeah... this isn't even remotely true. My sister just graduated from the nursing program at Kent but was offered a job 3 months previous.

This country is starved for good health care staff.

As you were.

There is actually a huge shortage of nurses in the U.S.. My wife has to deal with it constantly and she works at a great catholic hospital.

I do get why the Canadian nurses were coming over. They were probably getting paid a good bit more than they would working for Canadian hospitals with government healthcare.

Right, been an inpatient in a USA hospital lately? :o

actually, that is true. There is a shortage of nurses overall, some places nurses can't find work. I imagine when a nurse works

here from Canada, they don't need hc insurance, and would work for less or something, maybe, and still make more than in Canada. Part of it is budgeting for skyrocketing

costs that obamaocare made worse - so many hospitals are short-staffed out of economics. When I had my knee replaced, the nurses worked so hard and were so wonderful - I tried never to call them unless it was important. One of the nurses was

kidding me about being too terrific a patient - she said I should bother them more. I admire the nurses there - they

were wonderful, cheerful, excellent - but they looked pretty tired...

As for the policy, you can't cover every single possible scenario in which someone might get hosed. What they can do is make arrangements after finding out something like this and then work to make the appropriate changes to policy.

Or they could have left the professional/high skilled worker visa these people were coming in under in place. A bipartisan congress wouldn't have let this happen. And while this story is about nurses, it's more than nurses that will be impacted. It's any high skill worker that is coming in under these visas.

And let's be real. This is Detroit we are talking about. Do you really think American nurses who have their pick of the litter due to nursing shortages are going to pick Detroit as a place to work and live? Nope. That's why we need the Canadian nurses.

Or they could have left the professional/high skilled worker visa these people were coming in under in place. A bipartisan congress wouldn't have let this happen. And while this story is about nurses, it's more than nurses that will be impacted. It's any high skill worker that is coming in under these visas.

And let's be real. This is Detroit we are talking about. Do you really think American nurses who have their pick of the litter due to nursing shortages are going to pick Detroit as a place to work and live? Nope. That's why we need the Canadian nurses.

Oh you won't hear any complaints from me about the nurses. They work in Detroit when no one wants to go there.

I don't think congress could work together to pass anything, good or bad.

Of all your posts I could unblock, glad it was this one.

Yeah... this isn't even remotely true. My sister just graduated from the nursing program at Kent but was offered a job 3 months previous.

This country is starved for good health care staff.

As you were.

I'm glad you are such a liar that you "have me on ignore" hahahahahaha.

STFU.

1. Why Can't New Nurses Find Jobs? - Nursing Link
    nursinglink.monster.com… › Browse ArticlesJob Search

Why Can't New Nurses Find Jobs? Tweet: 33 Comments. Featured Author: ... What’s happening with the nursing shortage? Why can’t new grad nurses find jobs?

2. Five Reasons Why New Nurses Can’t Find a Job - Soliant Health
    blog.soliant.com/.../five-reasons-why-new-nurses-cant-find-a-job

Five Reasons Why New Nurses Can’t Find a Job. ... 5 more reasons it can be hard to find a job as a nurse; ... © 2004-2017 Soliant Health.

3. Nurses Can’t Find Jobs – ABC Lateline
    www.abc.net.au/lateline/content/2014/s4011254.htm

Nurses can't find jobs. ... NURSING AND MIDWIFERY FEDERATION: It can't be a coincidence that at the same ... looking for their first job. John Stewart, Lateline.

4. 5 Reasons Why New Nurses Can't Find a Job - NurseTogether
    www.nursetogether.com/5-reasons-why-new-nurses-cant-find-job

5 Reasons Why New Nurses Can't Find a Job. By LisaMauri Thomas on Mon, Apr 15, 2013. ... You can’t make it past the first round of interviews/screening calls.

5. For nursing jobs, new grads need not apply - Jan. 14, 2013
    money.cnn.com/2013/01/14/news/economy/nursing-jobs-new-grads

Jan 23, 2013 · It's typical for many nurses to take time off to ... and they're not leaving because we don't see a convincing jobs recovery yet ... I can't find a nursing ...

6. Where's this so-called shortage? - I can't find a nursing ...
    money.cnn.com/gallery/news/economy/2013/01/14/nursing-jobs-grads/...

Jan 14, 2013 · These new grads can't find jobs, ... I can't find a nursing job! ... they respond by telling me that it is easy for nurses to find jobs because of the ...

7. New Grad Nurse Can't Find Job | allnurses

New Grad Nurse Can't Find Job. ... I'm starting to believe there is NO such thing as a "nursing shortage." There are so many jobs out there but they all want nurses ...

8. 43 percent of newly licensed registered nurses can't find jobs
    www.annarbor.com/news/43-percent-of-newly-licensed-registered...

43 percent of newly licensed registered nurses can't find ... Many area nursing schools have wait lists ... why would there be a decline in nursing jobs during the ...

9. Why Nursing School Grads Have Trouble Finding Jobs ...
    www.workingnurse.com/articles/Why-Nursing-School-Grads-Have...

... Why Nursing School Grads Have Trouble Finding Jobs ... Why Nursing School Grads Have Trouble Finding ... to find a job is that many nurses reaching ...

in some ways/places, there IS a shortage of jobs. A few friends are nurses. Depends on where you are.

so, tiamsies,

how the hell can't there not be a shortage of jobs when 43 percent of LICENSED REGISTERED NURSES

can't find them?

Logic isn't wrong, but neither am I...it just depends on where you are, other stuff.

So, Tiamsies, answer that. I'm glad you are such a liar that you just made a fool of yourself again. If all you want to do

is try to play "gotcha" it isn't any wonder you are wrong so much. Do you have a feather fetish, or what?

1. 43 percent of newly licensed registered nurses can't find jobs
    www.annarbor.com/news/43-percent-of-newly-licensed-registered...

43 percent of newly licensed registered nurses can't find ... Many area nursing schools have wait lists ... why would there be a decline in nursing jobs during the ...

in some ways/places, there IS a shortage of jobs. A few friends are nurses. Depends on where you are.

so, tiamsies,

how the hell can't there not be a shortage of jobs when 43 percent of LICENSED REGISTERED NURSES

can't find them?

Logic isn't wrong, but neither am I...it just depends on where you are, other stuff.

So, Tiamsies, answer that. I'm glad you are such a liar that you just made a fool of yourself again. If all you want to do

is try to play "gotcha" it isn't any wonder you are wrong so much. Do you have a feather fetish, or what?

VERY OLD SKEWED DATA FROM THE 2009-2010 RECESSION ERA....DISREGARD AND FIND NEW DATA.

My wife has worked in the same hospital group for 42 years, hired at 19 as a student nurse until she passed her state boards and then stayed on as a nurse.

There have been so many changes in the hospitals, doctors, the nursing profession, insurances, regulations, charting (now all digital and problematic) and more that make any medical care virtually unrecognizable from just a few decades ago.

Many "new" nurses have much less hands on training or ability and told to try and delegate as much as possible to the ancillary help who's ranks have been massively cut over the recent years.

So back to the original idea of stopping nurses from crossing the longest border between two friendly nations is not a good idea. I'm sure there can be a simple photo ID system for the medical and other sensitive areas to handle this "problem".

Afterall they aren't just unskilled or no skilled immigrants fleeing Mexico or Central America, right?

......plus I would not recommend the medical field for any young person now UNLESS they really like the profession and aren't just looking for a quick buck. I've been in hospitals for about six months over the past two years, basically hated the experience despite some good dedicated workers.

I think it's fine... all sorts of nurses are specialized in their training - emergency rooms, surgery units,

etc etc. But out of millions of people coming and going, of course there are going to be a few snags

of any policy.

Par for the course - liberals ignored obamao halting visas, and not one time did they report on it,

and complain that somebody got delayed unfairly....blah blah blah.

all this antagonism is over sour grapes.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/blogs/andrew-bolt/muslim-ban-hypocrisy-left-said-nothing-when-obama-also-halted-visas/news-story/17c901096824ecd0a2e3a4d1e5ded377

Archived