THE BROWNS BOARD

Camp Allen

tiamat63

Took my time this weekend going over film from middle to back half of 2015, and now the bulk of 2016. Generally I like to wait for bowl games, but I feel this might be one of the uncommon times

where I settle on my target. Allow me to clarify, I have no issues with Myles Garrett. But something in my bones is telling me I feel Allen to be the more steady pick of the two. Not unlike the differences in how Amari Cooper and Kevin White were viewed around here.

The Church of Allen welcomes all, dear friends. Discuss.

Allen is a handful to say the least, and the hope is you get a guy like Aaron Donald. Someone who has a noticeable impact on the game. You have to wonder how that would look if Shelton continues to get better. You'd have to account for those guys every play. It could be nasty.

Go to this link and watch the Vines and videos of Allen. The first one, Allen literally flew over a chop block and body splashed the QB. Not sure I've ever seen that from a 6'3 290 player. The last one...well...the last one shows what Allen did to a guy in high school, and I'm not sure the guy is out of therapy yet. Physical AND mental therapy.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/11/4/13512776/jonathan-allen-alabama-highlights-tape-recruiting-stats

Allen is where I started, but the woo-birds have me thinking about Garrett now.

Allen seems a sure fire, 3-4 DE fit and a great DT for four-man looks in nickles and dimes. High floor... very, very low risk...

Garrett is the sexy choice. Has the higher ceiling/ impact potential, but... and I am still hung up on the same "but"... he brings more risk to a 3-4.

Then there's the disposition we've discussed a couple times...

And lately I have been thinking on a third difference as well that leans me Allen's way. Durability... not in the sense that Garrett's more injury prone or anything, but rather that his key, innate component, speed is more susceptible to injury diminishment than Allen's keys: "quicks" and strength.

All that said... I do not think there is a bad choice between the two, but there is a safer one.

Allen is where I started, but the woo-birds have me thinking about Garrett now.

Allen seems a sure fire, 3-4 DE fit and a great DT for four-man looks in nickles and dimes. High floor... very, very low risk...

Garrett is the sexy choice. Has the higher ceiling/ impact potential, but... and I am still hung up on the same "but"... he brings more risk to a 3-4.

Then there's the disposition we've discussed a couple times...

And lately I have been thinking on a third difference as well that leans me Allen's way. Durability... not in the sense that Garrett's more injury prone or anything, but rather that his key, innate component, speed is more susceptible to injury diminishment than Allen's keys: "quicks" and strength.

All that said... I do not think there is a bad choice between the two, but there is a safer one.

Those are my additional thoughts.

Ultimately with a franchise devoid of talent, seeking impact and lasting picks - I see Allen as the safer, thus smarter play.

His first step isn't Aaron Donald, as he's a tad bigger. That said,it isn't far off.

that makes no sense, as usual. you want to draft oline with the first pick?

I'm vexed on many levels. First off, this is a camp allen thread...to which I've said I belong. And that is in large part to do with the fact that there is no, as far as I know, o line prospect that would warrant the 1st pick. Second, what are you not getting about the potential folly of drafting a QB with the 1st pick when we can't get our line situation figured out? This season we've had 4 QB's get hurt....what sense does it make to add another one for next year?

To build off Cleve's points - I'm looking at a scenario where the front office trades down a potential top 10 Philly pick (not too far, mind you - 16,17) where we can net an additional 2nd rounder. At that point take Elflein and see where Watson, Mitch and Kizer fall.

If San Fran doesn't go QB at 3 or if Chicago doesn't as well, one of those 3 could very likely be available with our first pick in the 2nd.

Afterwards at that point I look at DB, TE and linebacker. Sorry, not sold on Foster as a top 10 backer. At least, not at the moment.

Would anyone be opposed to trading down to the #3 pick? Bortles looks like he might be done in Jax, and they're gonna be looking for a QB. I feel like we can still get Allen with the #3 pick...

IF they offer a trade up, it's for a QB. I MAAAAAAY be willing to listen to that. Because at which point you're still guaranteed Allen or Garrett.

I'd be happy as a pig in slop with either Allen or Garrett. Either one would be a day one impact player, especially if we can find a way to get Foster as our 2nd #1, another day one impact player. I'm actually happy with a coin flip on the first two, but Foster is one we should consider a trade up for IMO, depending upon where the Philly pick is in the draft.

I'd be happy as a pig in slop with either Allen or Garrett. Either one would be a day one impact player, especially if we can find a way to get Foster as our 2nd #1, another day one impact player. I'm actually happy with a coin flip on the first two, but Foster is one we should consider a trade up for IMO, depending upon where the Philly pick is in the draft.

The Philly pick sits at 8 and continues to drop down. Being able to get Foster is looking very likely.

I would be totally on board with an Allen (my preference) or Garrett then Foster first round.

The Philly pick sits at 8 and continues to drop down. Being able to get Foster is looking very likely.

I would be totally on board with an Allen (my preference) or Garrett then Foster first round.

Eagles have the Giants (who are trying to maintain the wild card slot) Thursday night home and then they have the Cowboys (who may have already clinched #1 seeding by then) also @ home New Year's Day. Giants will be motivated so let's hope the Boys are too as well.

Chargers have us and then the Chiefs and are currently 5-9. We better hope they don't try to out tank us if war is right about the tank theory.

Ok so looking at the keyboard ic that the "e" is on the other side from "o".....so u really think that name is spelled with an "o"? Srsly? And dont claim typo ive already closed the investigation on that

Your attempt to make me faulable is futile as I was being coy.

Many names will come up as draft day inches forward as we all know but I'm in for a QB.

Archived