THE BROWNS BOARD

The Dumbest Calls in sports history

The Gipper

Many commentators have stated that the Seahawks decision to throw the ball when they were on the one yard line instead of giving the ball to the best runner perhaps in football was THE DUMBEST decision or play call in sports history. (not just football...but all of sports).

I happen to fully and totally agree. It was the dumbest move ever made by a team in critical situation that I can recall.

Ergo......let's get some comments on some other really stupid decisions that were made in sports history.

By these I don't really mean that someone made a mistake.....but that the decision to do this or that was really very stupid. (Something like say Jerry Smith's drop of a TD pass in the Super Bowl would not qualify...that was just a physical error).

I can weigh in on the first one I can think of. It is essentially the predecessor of last night's play:

Red Right 88.

There is a reason that the name of that play goes down in infamy. Because it was a dumb decision to try a pass there instead of running the ball and kicking the FG.

Now, obviously, a dumb play call also has to have poor execution to be infamous. Russell and Sipe should never have thrown those passes the way they did. But hell, QBs/players make mistakes...you can't fault that per se. But play calling decisions...or other decisions do cause fault.

One other one perhaps that I can think of is that I believe some years back, in the playoffs a game went into OT. This was before the rule that allowed each team a crack at having the ball of offense. A team going into the OT coin flip won the toss, but elected to kick off. Naturally, the team that got the ball went down, kicked a FG and won the game, and the team that won the flip never got their hands on the ball.

Can you think of any other plays as infamous?

<<Red Right 88>>.

Not sure I buy into this one, Gip.

Weather condition, etc. made making a FG far from certain.

Maybe even allowing Sipe to throw a pass in that situation was the dumb move.

IMHO, Sipe tried to thread the needle rather than following the play concept.

This was a big game.

It was a crusher.

It's hard to find dramatic plays like the one yesterday. Huge playoff game. Sudden ending. Play call called into question. For example "The Fumble" wasn't a bonehead call (nobody is saying it was).

I need to think about this one. One that - even - comes close to this call or ending to a game.

<<Red Right 88>>.

Not sure I buy into this one, Gip.

Weather condition, etc. made making a FG far from certain.

Maybe even allowing Sipe to throw a pass in that situation was the dumb move.

Well yes ....that is exactly what I am saying. That the decision to throw was the dumb move.

IMHO, Sipe tried to thread the needle rather than following the play concept.

And, like yesterday, the poor execution of a bad....risky play call exaserbated the poor decision.

This was a big game.

It was a crusher.

It's hard to find dramatic plays like the one yesterday. Huge playoff game. Sudden ending. Play call called into question. For example "The Fumble" wasn't a bonehead call (nobody is saying it was).

Agree, the call was fine....the effort was fine. It was just a good play by the defender who got a little lucky to punch the ball out just right.

I need to think about this one. One that - even - comes close to this call or ending to a game.

Not football, but Cleveland Indians/sports fans related...

How about Mike Hargrove taking out Jaret Wright, on a pitch count, in game 7 of the World Series?

The kid was 21 years old, didn't have to pitch until the following April, had a 2-hit shutout going....and people blamed Jose Mesa.

Not football, but Cleveland Indians/sports fans related...

How about Mike Hargrove taking out Jaret Wright, on a pitch count, in game 7 of the World Series?

The kid was 21 years old, didn't have to pitch until the following April, had a 2-hit shutout going....and people blamed Jose Mesa.

Certainly possibly. Of course, Mesa had been a killer closer all year...and he was being asked to do the role he had done successfully all season. He mesaed up though.

Popovich removing Tim Duncan in Game 6 of the 2013 NBA Finals against Miami with a 5 point lead and 29 seconds to go AND choosing not to foul and allowing Lebron to get off a 3 point shot which was rebounded (because no bigs were on the floor) and passed back to James who nailed a three to cut the lead to 2. Ray Allen later tied the game which went into overtime and the Spurs lost the game and game 7 and the series. Total failure of coaching that gave away a championship.

One that comes to mind is the Tampa Bay-Oakland Super Bowl which the Bucs destroyed the Raiders. If you recall Gruden was traded to the Bucs before the season and for some crazy ass reason the Raiders kept nearly all of the calls from Gruden's playbook. It even included the same hand signals for audibles and cadence markers, etc. Gannon threw 5 int's that game and 3 were returned for TD's. It's arguably the biggest d'oh! moment from the SB era.

Nov. '09

Bellichick went for a 4th and two from his own 28 vs. P. Manning's Colts.

At the time the Pats were ahead 34-28 with 2:08 left in the game... yes.. they were AHEAD!

They did not make it.

Even if you think Carroll's call was a bad one, and I do not, Carroll's call does not come close, IMO...

One more...Jean Van deVelde at the British Open 1999...ouch.

Van deVelde might be 3 more in itself... :)

I've played that hole... and tied his melt down with a lost ball.

Nov. '09

Bellichick went for a 4th and two from his own 28 vs. P. Manning's Colts.

At the time the Pats were ahead 34-28 with 2:08 left in the game... yes.. they were AHEAD!

They did not make it.

Even if you think Carroll's call was a bad one, and I do not, Carroll's call does not come close, IMO...

Regular season games though don't have quite the same....oomph for all time stupid as a Super Bowl...or playoff game.

Not that it wasn't a dumb move.

Popovich removing Tim Duncan in Game 6 of the 2013 NBA Finals against Miami with a 5 point lead and 29 seconds to go AND choosing not to foul and allowing Lebron to get off a 3 point shot which was rebounded (because no bigs were on the floor) and passed back to James who nailed a three to cut the lead to 2. Ray Allen later tied the game which went into overtime and the Spurs lost the game and game 7 and the series. Total failure of coaching that gave away a championship.

Ironically, some argue that Popovich is the best coach in the history of the NBA.

Of course, they also forget about or ignore Red Auerbach.

By far the dumbest call in super bowl history if nothing else. Wilson last pass should have went down in history as the the craziest play in a good way. Lynch gets 6 yards on 1st down to the goal line and they elect to pass. Granted they run that play 10 times they score a TD on 9 of em. Worst case scenario lynch fumbles 1 outta 100 carries there. Passing from the 1 yrd line is my football pet peeve unless on 4th down. It's was the right play call but overall was the bad decision. Read option qb run is a wiser option there.

I agree - worst call in my books ... Perhaps in the history of a sports given the significance and probability of success. Also the Patriots should have called a time-out to preserve the clock - so two screw-ups (one by each team) on that play. Also, I don't blame Wilson as it's a timing throw, but I do blame the receiver. He has to make that collision so that an interception is not possible.

I remember watching a CFL playoff game on TV. Doug Flutie playing for Calgary in -40 degrees in a semi-final to the Grey Cup game. Calgary needs a final drive TD and Flutie drives to the one yard line with about 2 seconds on the clock and they call a time out. Then Flutie takes himself out of the game? He is apparently so frozen solid that he doesn't have another play in him (and we know Flutie's a competitor so it had to true). In comes the "cold" back-up QB, last play of the game, do you run? Nope, they pass and it's incomplete. Maybe it's not as obvious as in the Super Bowl last night but I would have taken my chances on the ground and not expected my back-up QB to perform a pass play under those conditions.

I agree - worst call in my books ... Perhaps in the history of a sports given the significance and probability of success. Also the Patriots should have called a time-out to preserve the clock - so two screw-ups (one by each team) on that play. Also, I don't blame Wilson as it's a timing throw, but I do blame the receiver. He has to make that collision so that an interception is not possible.

I remember watching a CFL playoff game on TV. Doug Flutie playing for Calgary in -40 degrees in a semi-final to the Grey Cup game. Calgary needs a final drive TD and Flutie drives to the one yard line with about 2 seconds on the clock and they call a time out. Then Flutie takes himself out of the game? He is apparently so frozen solid that he doesn't have another play in him (and we know Flutie's a competitor so it had to true). In comes the "cold" back-up QB, last play of the game, do you run? Nope, they pass and it's incomplete. Maybe it's not as obvious as in the Super Bowl last night but I would have taken my chances on the ground and not expected my back-up QB to perform a pass play under those conditions.

Don't they play the Grey Cup final in a neutral site? They should. And given that it is Canada they should always play it in one of their domes. The BC dome, or the Skydome....and do they still play games in the Big O in Montreal? Is that where the Alouettes play?

Chris Webber's timeout still boggles my mind.

Dustin Johnson not realizing he was in a bunker at the U.S. Open a couple years ago...though he was probably fucked up.

Screw the call at the goal line. I think weve already learned that the coin toss pretty much decides it. Bullychick screwed up the whole thing by calling heads, but then Pete Carroll double blew it and lost the game as soon as he deferred.

Everything else that happened after that matters not.

Archived