THE BROWNS BOARD

WEEK 13 NCAA football, top 25, Rivalry Week! D-1 AA PLAYOFFS

mjp28

And of course my Alma Mater and my pick.....

Samford (7-4) at Youngstown State (8-3), 5 p.m.

With two victories to end the regular season, Youngstown State, winner of four national titles during the 1990s, busted down the door to its first playoff appearance in 10 years.

Samford entered through the back door after losing three of its final four games. The Bulldogs hope to clear their heads with the passing of Devlin Hodges, the Southern Conference offensive player of the year.

But the Penguins believe their deep run game will keep the ball out of his hands. The winner advances to play at No. 3 seed Jacksonville State (10-1) in the second round on Dec. 3.

The Pick: Youngstown State

YSU 38 Samford 24 Final. Next at Jacksonville State in Alabama A small town an hours drive from Birmingham, AL.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching all the games and listening to the announcers, studio jockeys a few things are becoming clear especially the conference winners are only used for tie breaking, advantage OHIO STATE and B1G teams!

No B1G, PAC or other championship team moves around OHIO STATE in the Final Four and if a second B1G team is there no PAC or other championship team just moves around them.

So it looks like so far:

1.ALABAMA

2.OHIO STATE

3.CLEMSON

4.??? MICHIGAN? PENN STATE? WISCONSIN? The PAC 10 just isn't that strong besides USC might beat Washington anyway.

Nice year in the B1G country. :)

College Football Playoff Selection Committee Protocol,

http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/selection-committee-protocol

Proposed Selection Process:

Establish a committee that will be instructed to place an emphasis on winning conference championships, strength of schedule and head-to-head competition when comparing teams with similar records and pedigree (treat final determination like a tie-breaker; apply specific guidelines).

The criteria to be provided to the selection committee must be aligned with the ideals of the commissioners, Presidents, athletic directors and coaches to honor regular season success while at the same time providing enough flexibility and discretion to select a non-champion or independent under circumstances where that particular non-champion or independent is unequivocally one of the four best teams in the country

When circumstances at the margins indicate that teams are comparable, then the following criteria must be considered:

Championships won

Strength of schedule

Head-to-head competition (if it occurred)

Comparative outcomes of common opponents (without incenting margin of victory)

We believe that a committee of experts properly instructed (based on beliefs that the regular season is unique and must be preserved; and that championships won on the field and strength of schedule are important values that must be incorporated into the selection process) has very strong support throughout the college football community.

Under the current construct, polls (although well-intended) have not expressed these values; particularly at the margins where teams that have won head-to-head competition and championships are sometimes ranked behind non-champions and teams that have lost in head-to-head competition. Nuanced mathematical formulas ignore some teams who deserve to be selected.As we expand from two teams to four teams we want to establish a human selection committee that: (1)

will be provided a clear set of guidelines; (2) will be expected to take the facts of each case and specifically apply the guidelines; and (3) will be led by a Chairperson who will be expected to explain publicly the committees decisions.

Some of the guidelines and protocols expected to be established to guide the committee would include, but not be limited to, the following:

While it is understood that committee members will take into consideration all kinds of data

including polls, committee members will be required to discredit polls wherein initial rankings are

established before competition has occurred;

Any polls that are taken into consideration by the selection committee must be completely open

and transparent to the public;

Strength of schedule, head-to-head competition and championships won must be specifically

applied as tie-breakers between teams that look similar;

Committee members associated with any team under consideration during the selection process

will be required to recuse themselves from any deliberations associated with that team;

We would expect this same set of principles to be applied, particularly at the margins (teams 10-11-12).

....so there you go, now we know what they should know. ;)

It's pretty sad that PSU has to throw bombs, while they are up 20 points.

It looked like MSU coaches were about to fight.

Watching all the games and listening to the announcers, studio jockeys a few things are becoming clear especially the conference winners are only used for tie breaking, advantage OHIO STATE and B1G teams!

No B1G, PAC or other championship team moves around OHIO STATE in the Final Four and if a second B1G team is there no PAC or other championship team just moves around them.

So it looks like so far:

1.ALABAMA

2.OHIO STATE

3.CLEMSON

4.??? MICHIGAN? PENN STATE? WISCONSIN? The PAC 10 just isn't that strong besides USC might beat Washington anyway.

Geezzz is this year screaming for an 8 or 16 game playoff! Especially when next week's results are in no matter what there will be several teams and conferences thinking they got screwed.

How fitting for this presidential year but maybe more heated just watch!

.......meanwhile Alabama wonders what all the fuss is about. :lol:

Geezzz is this year screaming for an 8 or 16 game playoff! Especially when next week's results are in no matter what there will be several teams and conferences thinking they got screwed.

How fitting for this presidential year but maybe more heated just watch!

.......meanwhile Alabama wonders what all the fuss is about. :lol:

Alabama is happy they don't play in the Big ten. The Sec sucks this year

Alabama is happy they don't play in the Big ten. The Sec sucks this year

Alabama is loaded in a diluted SEC but I don't see anyone beating them unless they really screw up.

Alabama is loaded in a diluted SEC but I don't see anyone beating them unless they really screw up.

It's hard to say they are loaded when they play in a softer conference

Would they look so "loaded" playing against better team?

It's hard to say they are loaded when they play in a softer conference

Would they look so "loaded" playing against better team?

Yes they are big, strong, fast and have Mr. Personality as coach. Sometimes you don't really know until they move up in opposition but they look like the real deal.

Actually he was and still is a good guy if you know him or just go with the media view for what that is worth.

And he's doing fantastic now as the YSU president, the university has more scholars than ever in the incoming classes year after year. The facility improvements are stunning, the old but nice business building I got my two degrees in has been replaced by a real state of the art new building plus other stories like that all over the campus.

And the sports facilities are second to none in the 1-AA plus he got Bo Pelini to come back home, year two....playoffs!

Check out the indoor facilities that some NFL teams have used when they're passing through the area on the road to east coast games. ;)

http://www.ysusports.com/information/facilities/watts

http://www.ysusports.com/landing/index

http://www.ysu.edu/

GO PENGUINS!

Not to mention that YSU has the top engineering school in the world.

Not to mention that YSU has the top engineering school in the world.

Believe it or not but it was in the top 10 when I started there in 1968, a lot of good steel company retired or even working engineers teaching there....but our football team stunk!

So it looks like so far:

1.ALABAMA

2.OHIO STATE

3.CLEMSON

USC already beat Washington. Washington plays Colorado in the Pac 12 title game....and, yes, Colorado might beat them.....but I don't think so.

Because you don't know much about college football.

But he knows how to sue your ass into oblivion. :lol:

I just take it as fact that a 60+ year old who's never been to a home game of "his" college football team doesn't know much about it.

Then you would be stupid to think that. Besides, I have been to any number of home games of "my" college football team....which happens to be the Akron Zips.

Not only that, I have learned from going to Browns games that I get a far better perspective of what is going on by watching the games on TV than you do going to the stadium.

Nothing beats big time CFB in the student section

Maybe a loge on the 50 yard line with a refrigerator, hot food, liquor cabinet, close circuit big screen TV...AND PRIVATE BATHROOM!

Well I've done both the student thing is great as a student, good regular seats are nice if you can find the hot dog and beer guy -but- a nice loge is unreal.

That's not the spirit on CFB tho. Not to me.

Works ok in MLB games or freakin' cold football games, but I do like both.

I'll never forget my first loge game I was about 25 a friend had major pull to get a loge at the old muni, double header NYY at CLE. WOW. Over the years I got many Tribe and Browns loge or complimentary tickets through business contacts.

College games are nice in the stands if you have decent seats.

Perhaps for pomp and pagentry and excitement. Not really debating that. But not for analysis.

Unless you bring a radio or better yet portable TV to the game. :huh:

I went to an Indians game at the old muni once NYY, Ron Guidry was pitching the year he went 25-3 but the BROWNS were in P-burg so I bought a 5" TV/radio on the way to the game. You wouldn't believe the crowd of people around me as the BROWNS game went on.

Oh the BROWNS lost on a late bad call.....before instant replay.

Radios are nice with an earbud at games if your into the stats thing....or have rotten seats.

Then you would be stupid to think that. Besides, I have been to any number of home games of "my" college football team....which happens to be the Akron Zips.

Not only that, I have learned from going to Browns games that I get a far better perspective of what is going on by watching the games on TV than you do going to the stadium.

You're too fat to sit in a crowded stadium aren't you? I figured it was something.

Archived