THE BROWNS BOARD

"Can't Miss" Prospects....

Tour2ma

Thread prompted by a NFL Live segment with Bill Polian about can't miss vs. higher ceiling players.

Specifically the question was:

"When do you take a "can't miss" player over a guy who perhaps has more upside, but also some risk?"

Bill's thought was:

"Always. We always said, 'No big hits. No big misses.' If you've got a can't miss, take him and don't look back. Plug him in and he'll play a long time."

Typical Polian minimalist wisdom that begs the question:

Who in 2015 is "Can't miss"?

Williams, Fowler, Cooper, Shelton, Gurley are all I've got.

I agree & what worries me is whether or not Shelton will be there for our pick. I want Shelton in the worst way because I feel (for what it's worth) that he would immediately & positively have a huge impact on both our run D AND our pass rush. With that kind of dominance at nose tackle, our DEs & LBs start looking as good as they can look. Given better health, our Dline & LBs would reap MAJOR dividends from his presence.

I feel, & maybe I'm wrong, that he may be the only player worth a trade up this year for the Browns. I'm no expert & my choices often suck, but do you folks agree? Disagree? Why? If agree, how far up would you go to ensure we don't lose him?

Just an ol' dummy asking questions!

Mike

"Can't miss"..? No such thing, but these are the guys I would guess are the closest to that:

Amari Cooper

Leonard Williams

Dante Fowler

Kevin White

Erick Flowers

Danny Shelton

Cameron Erving

Melvin Gordon

There are other players with more potential and upside, but I think these are the 8 guys who I have no concern predicting that they will be long-term quality starters for whoever takes them. They may not all be Pro Bowl locks, but they are all ready to step in day 1 and lock down their jobs.

I dont believe in cant miss players. heres an all time cant miss draft just posted on nfl.com. anybody else think this writer has a problem with the browns? everyone else gets hall of famers and we get ryan leaf?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap3000000487725/article/alltime-2015-draft-steve-young-to-bucs-jim-brown-to-jags

Fucking Ryan Leaf? Seriously? Whoever wrote that has to be thinking "hahaha, fucking browns wouldn't it be so funny if they're the only team to draft an enormous bust here?!"

Fucking Ryan Leaf? Seriously? Whoever wrote that has to be thinking "hahaha, fucking browns wouldn't it be so funny if they're the only team to draft an enormous bust here?!"

Ok.....I get the joke...haha(not)...

I guess being a 1/2 way funny dickhead gets you a gig at NFL.com.....

Im just wondering why he didnt give us Jamarcus.....

I count 12 listed so far....Is it even possible to have 12 cant miss players in the first round?.......history says no way.....

Last years slam dunk "cant miss" players were Clowney, Robinson & Watkins.......hahaha.....that went well.....

I count 12 listed so far....Is it even possible to have 12 cant miss players in the first round?.......history says no way.....

Last years slam dunk "cant miss" players were Clowney, Robinson & Watkins.......hahaha.....that went well.....

I don't think Robinson was can't miss? I got the distinct impression he was a project at LT, and would need to start out a guard for a year or two to refine his technique. Clowney - everyone questioned his enthusiasm, and Leaf-itude.

Can't miss prospects were Jake Matthews, Watkins, Khalil Mack?

Williams and Cooper for sure. I can't put Gurley because of the injury history. Gordon has a fumbling problem that takes him off the list.

Collins in the OL and Malcom Brown in the DL (I just can't put Shelton because he may eat himself out of a long career).

I don't think Robinson was can't miss? I got the distinct impression he was a project at LT, and would need to start out a guard for a year or two to refine his technique. Clowney - everyone questioned his enthusiasm, and Leaf-itude.

Can't miss prospects were Jake Matthews, Watkins, Khalil Mack?

Matthews, Watkins and Mack were what I was thinking of as well.

I dont believe in cant miss players. heres an all time cant miss draft just posted on nfl.com. anybody else think this writer has a problem with the browns? everyone else gets hall of famers and we get ryan leaf?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap3000000487725/article/alltime-2015-draft-steve-young-to-bucs-jim-brown-to-jags

I don't understand the point of this exercise. How about if we change it up a bit.....I will do so in another thread.

I don't understand the point of this exercise. How about if we change it up a bit.....I will do so in another thread.

Would love to see a league-wide redraft, every team starts with nothing, reverse order picks like fantasy. Pick no. 1, Aaron Rodgers or Andrew Luck?

On the O-line names mentioned... I haven't seen any can't miss on tape, but gun to my head I'd go with Peat.

Matthews, Watkins and Mack were what I was thinking of as well.

My list as well, but there were others that got mention around here. Donald and Evans come to mind, and there was a certain post-draft influx that pronounced one of our picks to be one as I recall...

On the O-line names mentioned... I haven't seen any can't miss on tape, but gun to my head I'd go with Peat.

My list as well, but there were others that got mention around here. Donald and Evans come to mind, and there was a certain post-draft influx that pronounced one of our picks to be one as I recall...

Evans had question marks. He had only lined up on the right at college - could it transfer to the NFL? Was he just a product of Manziel, or the other way around? Looks like we have the answer to that one, btw!

Evans had question marks. He had only lined up on the right at college - could it transfer to the NFL? Was he just a product of Manziel, or the other way around? Looks like we have the answer to that one, btw!

Every good QB develops a certain expectation from his key receivers. Given time that may happen for Manziel again. Evans was not the only guy he threw the ball to btw, just the most talented. And they did have that special relationship required to know both where to throw to and where to go on the field to find the ball.

Every good QB develops a certain expectation from his key receivers. Given time that may happen for Manziel again. Evans was not the only guy he threw the ball to btw, just the most talented. And they did have that special relationship required to know both where to throw to and where to go on the field to find the ball.

Where to throw the ball ? Up. Evans usually took care of the rest.

Yeah... throw it up high and in the field of play... ;)

EDIT: tia beat me to a post for a change...

Evans had question marks. He had only lined up on the right at college - could it transfer to the NFL?

I agree, but there were many around here that thought Evans was destined for greatness... and so far they've turned out to be more correct than we have.

Anyway here's the 2014 edition...

Can't believe I had Kony Ealy on the list. But offset that clunker with Anthony Barr.

http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28388

Mine, or his. Mine is high...must be his.

lol... and FYI, my wife (BS in Nutrition) says you tortilla wrap is the better choice... lower starch (but higher fat)...

Yeah... throw it up high and in the field of play... ;)

EDIT: tia beat me to a post for a change...

I agree, but there were many around here that thought Evans was destined for greatness... and so far they've turned out to be more correct than we have.

Anyway here's the 2014 edition...

Can't believe I had Kony Ealy on the list. But offset that clunker with Anthony Barr.

http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28388

When presented with a choice to draft a player, between Manziel who made a habit of tossing up balls and Evans who routinely rewarded Johnny's (often poor throws) - I go with the latter for my roster.

Archived