THE BROWNS BOARD

TEBOW IS BACK

All the non-god believers hate him.

They won't say it, but this is true. The level of despise is truly out of line. Yet there are guys that want an idiot like Winston on their team. I'm still not sure Tebow has had a genuine opportunity in this league. Some will say Denver was it, but Elway was never in line with that position. I hope Tebow succeeds, if not in the NFL, he will succeed in life well beyond what most anyone on this board will.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So there are probably literally dozens of highly drafted quarterbacks who have fallen short of stardom in the NFL. What is it about this guy it brings out the hate? seems like a nice fellow, he works really hard, he's dedicated to getting better at his position, doesn't party or steal or rape bitches or drink or smoke weed, doesn't carry a gun or kick his girlfriends ass.

What's to hate?

It's God's will...

All the non-god believers hate him.

Not true at all.

The problem is that the Bible thumpers DEMAND that this guy be given chances that no one else be given merely because of the fact that he is a believer. They would not think twice about kicking a guy to the curb that did not espouse his beliefs. Where are they DEMANDING that Jamarcus Russell be given more chances? Or Troy Smith/Matt Leinert/Jason White.....his immediate predecessor Heisman winning QBs? How about Chris Leak.....he won a national title for Florida a year or two before Tebow did....where is the demand to give him a chance. Or Vince Young....also a national champion. He wants to get back into the game as well.

They won't say it, but this is true. The level of despise is truly out of line. Yet there are guys that want an idiot like Winston on their team. I'm still not sure Tebow has had a genuine opportunity in this league. Some will say Denver was it, but Elway was never in line with that position. I hope Tebow succeeds, if not in the NFL, he will succeed in life well beyond what most anyone on this board will.

I wouldn't say I'm necessarily a believer, yet I'm still a fan of Tebow. I don't see why it has to be one or the other. I don't like him for his religious beliefs...in fact, I couldn't care less what he, or anyone else, believes in. Your beliefs shouldn't define your character. I don't look at him as some sort of crusader for the Word or an evangelist coming to change the landscape of professional sports. I just think he's a nice guy with talent, leadership qualities and strong moral character. He comes across as humble, fiery, driven and studious. Those are the qualities that are important to me.

He had a dream and everyone shit on him for it, yet he continued to work on it regardless. He could have thrown in the towel, stayed an analyst, and pocketed millions of dollars through endorsement deals and appearances. I guarantee he can make just as much, if not more, money not playing football than he can actually playing. This isn't something he's doing for the money, he's doing it because he genuinely likes playing football. To me, those intangibles alone warrant giving him another shot.

For Philly, what is there to lose? If he comes in and proves he's still as inefficient as he was, then they've paid veteran minimum to an emergency QB for one year. There's plenty of equally bad QBs on rosters throughout the league who are getting paid just as much, if not more. If Tebow does show marked improvement, however, Philly has landed a quarterback who has all of the off-field intangibles and physical attributes you'd want in a QB...and now he's learned how to throw. It's a low-risk, high-reward scenario for them.

If I recall correctly, Tebow is getting just over $660,000 in base salary to play this season. That means he joins this highly esteemed list of veteran minimum backups:

Brandon Weeden

Kirk Cousins

Terrelle Pryor

Mike Kafka

Ricky Stanzi

Kellen Moore

In comparison, our third QB, Thad Lewis, is getting $745,000 this year. Here's a list of QB's who will make more money than Tim Tebow this year:

Josh Freeman ($745,000)

Josh Johnson ($745,000)

Joe Webb ($745,000)

Luke McCown ($970,000)

Tyrod Taylor ($750,000)

Jimmy Clausen ($745,000)

Austin Davis ($1.5 million)

Bruce Gradkowski ($1.5 million)

Chase Daniel ($3.75 million)

Personally, I'd rather have Tebow than anyone on either of those lists...and it's not even close. The veteran minimum is chump change. I would pay the veteran minimum just to have him come in and try out through training camp and honor that contract even if he were cut. The benefit of him even being marginally improved over what he was far outweighs the cost of that contract.

I also don't think Winston is an idiot. I think he was young and stupid, but I don't think mistakes made as a young man should be an indictment of your character for eternity. Winston has to prove that he's not some dumb, entitled jock, sure. But, just as with Tebow, certain aspects of his "character" were largely blown out of proportion. If Winston makes the same mistakes again, then he's truly an idiot. But if he can use those mistakes to grow as both a person and a professional, then he's destined for a fantastic career.

it's not that he's a holy roller that's kept him off the field, it's the fact that he can't play the position he insists on playing, which is QB in the nfl. if he could play it even a little do you really think there wouldn't have been one out of 32 GMs that would give him a chance before now?

sure he's a good guy but who gives a fuck? if he doesn't consider playing another position this will prob be his last chance. kelly is doing this because he realizes he has fucked up royally, no one is going to give him anything in return for what he has to offer to move up and get his golden boy mariota, so he's down to this.

the bridges in the city of brotherly love (which it's not) must be full of eagle's fans ready to jump at this point.

it's not that he's a holy roller that's kept him off the field, it's the fact that he can't play the position he insists on playing, which is QB in the nfl. if he could play it even a little do you really think there wouldn't have been one out of 32 GMs that would give him a chance before now?

sure he's a good guy but who gives a fuck? if he doesn't consider playing another position this will prob be his last chance. kelly is doing this because he realizes he has fucked up royally, no one is going to give him anything in return for what he has to offer to move up and get his golden boy mariota, so he's down to this.

the bridges in the city of brotherly love (which it's not) must be full of eagle's fans ready to jump at this point.

I'd say he can play the position better than Thigpen, Lewis, Weeden, and McCoy. And we've let those scrubs touch the field for us.

IF we're actually trying to surround Manziel with experienced, studious professionals, I think throwing Tebow in the mix goes a hell of a lot further than letting Thad Lewis get a shot.

For the record, I like Thad Lewis. I think he's a capable backup. Not every single roster move has to be for an immediate starter.

Not true at all.

The problem is that the Bible thumpers DEMAND that this guy be given chances that no one else be given merely because of the fact that he is a believer. They would not think twice about kicking a guy to the curb that did not espouse his beliefs. Where are they DEMANDING that Jamarcus Russell be given more chances? Or Troy Smith/Matt Leinert/Jason White.....his immediate predecessor Heisman winning QBs? How about Chris Leak.....he won a national title for Florida a year or two before Tebow did....where is the demand to give him a chance. Or Vince Young....also a national champion. He wants to get back into the game as well.

The Guy won the Heisman Trophy and took his team to the playoffs in the pros for fucks sake.

(not to mention there are plenty of guys here who have spent time on Nick Foles, Matt Schaub, or Brian Hoyers Cocks. :o)

WSS

??????

hey tebow lovers. the guy sucks. that's the bottom line.

or are you saying you know more than 31 FO, HCs, scouts and other personnel in the NFL?

Screen_shot_2015_04_21_at_4_10_23_PM.png

No, I'm saying that he's a better, and cheaper, third string quarterback option than Thad "Who The Fuck Cares" Lewis.

And yes, I believe I do know better than most scouts and FO personnel of the Browns. Because they, for the most part, have been utter failures. Half of the job is who you know, as evidenced by Pat Shurmur's entire career.

And yes, I believe I do know better than most scouts and FO personnel of the Browns. Because they, for the most part, have been utter failures. Half of the job is who you know, as evidenced by Pat Shurmur's entire career.

as soon as i typed it, i knew the response you were going to make. HA!!

dat a boy.

No, I'm saying that he's a better, and cheaper, third string quarterback option than Thad "Who The Fuck Cares" Lewis.

Excuse me sir, you will call Thad by his proper nickname, "the champ!"

It has nothing to do with bible thumping or anything else related to bitter atheists.

It has to do with a decent guy who showed a lot of promise, fell short and is dedicated to improving himself and working very hard to succeed. We're not talking about lazy low character arrogant slugs. We're talking about a guy who most normal people would like to see succeed. That's all.

WSS

Screen_shot_2015_04_21_at_4_10_23_PM.png

Thats a bad stat list right there......so lets look at "real" numbers instead of made up twitter crap.....are you by chance related to Walter???

Here are their QBRs since 2010....

Tebow 75.3

Smith 71.5

Henne 75.5

Sanchez 74.1

Bradford 79.3

Now, maybe this stat you posted is supposed to show the lowest "game" since 2010?....but, it would still be wrong and whats one game mean anyway?......either way, it's still wrong by a mile.....LOTS of QB's have posted worse games than that.......a very quick look(just from memory) shows names like Andy Dalton who posted a 2.0 against the Browns.....or Brian Hoyer who posted a 29.3 against the Colts.......or Manziel who posted a 27.3 against the Bungles......

A quick look shows that every week.....(every.....single.... week)....there are 4-5 QB's who have a rating below 35....but hey, if you can just make it up, then why bother with facts....eh?.....

And if were talking only ones who played over 30 games, there is still a long list....so.....

Excuse me sir, you will call Thad by his proper nickname, "the champ!"

What did he ever win?

Not true at all.

I don't think I've ever seen that. I've seen people ARGUE THAT HE SHOULD get a chance because he beat the Steelers in the playoffs. I've seen people ARGUE THAT HE SHOULD get a chance because he was a dynamic college QB and never got a fair shot at any of the places he went (Fox didn't want him, backup to Sanchez, backup to Brady).

Nobody is DEMANDING Jamarcus Russell get a chance because Jamarcus Russell had a season and a half of starts and threw 16 touchdowns and 19 interceptions and went 7-18, then drank codeine cough syrup and got fat. Comparatively, Tim Tebow had one full season of starts, threw 17 touchdowns and 9 interceptions and went 8-6, won a playoff game, and maintained his "perfect off-the-field teammate" persona.

Nobody is DEMANDING Chris Leak get a chance because Chris Leak was undrafted, was cut during the preseason and never got on with another team.

I don't think I've ever seen someone say "HE SHOULD GET A SHOT BECAUSE HE BELIEVES IN JESUS". That's just what people use as a crutch. Fact is, the media has played up his religious beliefs, not Tebow. He's not thumping the Bible in press conferences. He's not yelling about fire and brimstone. He's coming in, he's doing his job, and he's going home. That's it.

If you want to make an argument about him, make the argument that he's had one of the worst QBR's since they QBR was invented. That's an argument. But to baselessly claim that religious people DEMAND he gets a start just because he believes in Jesus and that's it? That's ridiculous.

Your ignorance knows no bounds. The difference between Tebow and the others you listed is that Tebow is a person of character and worth as a human being, from all appearances, which makes him very different from the average NFL wannabe. For Christ sake the NFL paid Tony Dungee to mentor Mike Vick back into the good graces of the public, if you want to get on a soap box, get on that one.

Actually, it is your ignorance and prejudice that knows no bounds.

Sorry that the truth gets you all butthurt.

The only thing about the guy that would matter to me is can he play QB in the NFL.

I am probably aware of hundreds of young people of about his age.....kids from my neighborhood, from the school that my wife works at, from the schools that my kids go to, from the church that my wife and kids go to, from the Boy Scouts that my kid belonged to..to the Key Club and Sorority my daughter belonged to .ALL people of character and worth as a human being....every bit as much as Tebow......but I don't see anyone insisting that they all be given jobs as an NFL QB....because....like Tebow, they do not possess the skills to do that job.

The NFL is not a charity. It is under no obligation to promote people to important positions simply because they are good persons. Tebow is a good person. So what? He can't really play QB, and that is what counts in the NFL.

Why does the NFL mentor the likes of Vick etc.? Because they CAN play QB. And that is the business the NFL is in.

It has nothing to do with bible thumping or anything else related to bitter atheists.

It has to do with a decent guy who showed a lot of promise, fell short and is dedicated to improving himself and working very hard to succeed. We're not talking about lazy low character arrogant slugs. We're talking about a guy who most normal people would like to see succeed. That's all.

Well, actually, I think it does have to do with the bible thumping.

I am of the opinion that Matt Leinert, Troy Smith, Jason White etc.etc. are also "decent guys", guys who showed a lot of promise, guys dedicated to improving themselves and who worked hard to succeed but fell short......guys that most normal people SHOULD like to see succeed. Fair to say? But no one is claiming that it should be those guys god given right to play QB in the NFL....as they seem to be with Tebow.

All I am talking about here is equity. I don't think Tebow deserves any more of a chance than these other guys JUST because he maintains good character...or is a Christian.

Would the same people be as fervent for him to get an opportunity to play if he was just as high character and dedicated to his faith....if that faith were Islam? Hindu?

I think deserve is the wrong word. I think a good guy who works hard is a guy I root for. I think if Brian Hoyer busts his ass to get better I would like to see him get a chance to succeed. I also have no idea why the fact that a guy is a Christian pisses you off so badly.

I've never heard him say anything derogatory to non Christians, have you?

The over the top bitterness is misplaced in my opinion.

WSS

I think deserve is the wrong word. I think a good guy who works hard is a guy I root for. I think if Brian Hoyer busts his ass to get better I would like to see him get a chance to succeed. I also have no idea why the fact that a guy is a Christian pisses you off so badly.

WSS

I never saw anyone 'go after' Tebow (meaning look to hire him in the NFL) because he is a Christian. I have seen A LOT of negative comments about his getting down on his knee and praying on the field.

I never saw anyone 'go after' Tebow (meaning look to hire him in the NFL) because he is a Christian. I have seen A LOT of negative comments about his getting down on his knee and praying on the field.

Yeah....I think that was the real beef....the ole "Tebowing" on the field after every game.....

And, after it became THE big news every week, it also became a huge media swirl and then a distraction to the Broncos(think JFF).....so, they cut chase....and, I think, a lot of teams passed on giving him a shot because he created so much attention from the press and that whole distraction thing that no one wanted him bringing that to their locker room.....

And, even though it was all good christian stuff, doesnt mean he should put it over the needs of his team and create distractions with it. Im sure there are a zillion players who love god, but dont feel the need to make a scene about it after every game. And, before you say it wasn't a scene....yes, it became that with the media......So, my thought is that if he's hurting his team with the distractions, why didnt he just stop the whole public display and do his praying in private????

I think it all seemed like a big grand stand "look at me praying" kinda thing.....

imaloudmouthprickwithsaggyballs When you start to post more than "look at me" stuff you may become worthy of retort.

You couldn't form a cogent argument if you hired a publicist and a lawyer to do it for you.

So, simple question: Do you believe that Tim Tebow is entitled to another chance at getting an NFL paying job over say Troy Smith, Matt Leinert, Jason White, Eric Crouch, Jamarcus Russell, Vince Young...each of whom would or would have like to have another shot at making a team.

If you do believe that.....why?

It doesn't piss me off....at all. I don't care if he is Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Hindi, Taoist, Animist, Buddhist or Jedi. All I have asked is does he deserve a better chance than some of those names I have mentioned? I don't think he does....but do you deny that there are those that do think he does....because he is Christian?

Archived