THE BROWNS BOARD

Stop the Quest for the Holy QB.

SkippinTurtles

They don't exist Finding a franchise QB is next to impossible The Seahawks are a banged-up secondary and horrid play call away from going back-to-back. With an RB driven offense. Even Russell Wilson is now questionable. You can win with a competent QB, great running game and an Elite D.

Brady - Wilson

Wilson - Manning

Flacco - Kaepernick

E. Manning - Brady

Rodgers - Roethlisberger

Brees - Manning

Roethlisberger - Warner

E. Manning - Brady

Hm. Seems to me like "being a top 10 QB" and "Super Bowl appearance" kind of go hand-in-hand.

Brady - Wilson

Wilson - Manning

Flacco - Kaepernick

E. Manning - Brady

Rodgers - Roethlisberger

Brees - Manning

Roethlisberger - Warner

E. Manning - Brady

Hm. Seems to me like "being a top 10 QB" and "Super Bowl appearance" kind of go hand-in-hand.

Having a franchise QB is ideal. If one falls in your lap, perfect. But it probably won't happen. Brady is the only one on this list who played for a dynasty. And that team had one of the best defenses ever. Brady was a game manager for his first 3 rings. Keeping your defense great is more realistic than finding a franchise QB. The Seahawks blew a chance at a dynasty.

Having a franchise QB is ideal. If one falls in your lap, perfect. But it probably won't happen. Brady is the only one on this list who played for a dynasty. And that team had one of the best defenses ever. Brady was a game manager for his first 3 rings. Keeping your defense great is more realistic than finding a franchise QB. The Seahawks blew a chance at a dynasty.

This....just....this.

The logic I'm taking away from that post is that any system that results in anything less than a dynasty is not necessarily a good one.

Therefore despite otherwise very good results that don't technically count as dynastic per se (such as Roethlisberger and Eli's two rings and the Super Bowl wins of every other QB on that list save Kaepernick), these sub-dynasty methods don't serve as a guideline for an NFL franchise. Tell me where I'm wrong.

Russell Wilson is competent. He should have audibled.

I think guy with the crack pipe in this one was the one with the idea "hey let's throw a quick slant into a congested goal line defense." They had about 1-2 yards to go with Lynch in the backfield. If you're gonna throw a pass and you have a 6'4" WR that NE corners had trouble with all day - you throw him a fade away from congestion... This way the clock stops on an incomplete. Meanwhile you keep possession so you can score the TD with Lynch on the next play or the one after that if necessary.

Read/heard the following:

Wilson is always the first one in the bldg and the last to leave it.

Nobody watches more film than him

Teammates say he eats, sleeps and drinks football almost to a fault

He's an actions speak louder than words type of leader

Pocket presence role model (thanks in large to his weekly preparation)

Nothing frazzles him for long if at all (ie: how many QBs could have shaken off the miserable 1st 3 quarters he had vrs GB only to lead his team back to victory?)

The thing I like best about Russell Wilson is he's a recent enough reminder that you don't have to reach for the wrong guys in round 1 if you let the talent come to you in the right round (or closer to the projection). That was the same draft we felt desperate enough to burn a #22 overall on a 29 year old QB. We've been reaching on the wrong QBs in round 1 since trading Paul Warfield for the #3 overall to draft Mike Phipps. The only one we got right (Kosar) was in a supplemental draft. I actually loved the idea of Couch and even giving him KJ in 1999; but the commitments to him after that left a lot to be desired.

TODAY, we have a strong line to run the ball with - plus a pass protection anchored by a blind side LT with 8 Pro Bowls on his resume. We have a good SLOT WR and we added 2 reliable FA WRs. It would be nice if we could draft Petty in round 2 or 3 rather than reaching all the way up to 19 given our history of reaching on QBs. I know there's philosophies that say if he's your man then you go Irish mentality with swing first and ask questions later. What FO guy had to ask why he was getting his walking papers here? Therefore, we can also conclude God invented whiskey to prevent the Irish from ruling the world and certain households. Ooops, gotta go before the Warden breaks out her whistle...

You said Wilson isn't top 10. We agree. He's a good QB. Not handing the ball to Lynch at the 1 was pussy. Audible, bitch.

Oh shut the fuck up you mouth breathing fucking arm chair coach. How easy is it of you to sit your fatass on your couch and dissect every play call or decision?

Russell Wilson has been in the NFL for 3 years and already been to 2 Super Bowls, and won 1 of them.

He's been consistently one of the best rated passers and handled the job as well as anyone.

Russell Wilson was considered by most "experts" too short to start at the NFL level and 3-5th round prospect who would make a quality back up.

10906297_10102497525181520_6694827923893

Back to your original post ... did you mean to say "quit looking for a franchise QB" and "Russell Wilson is questionable".

Because if you did ... congratulations, you now own MRPE*

Zombo

--*Most Retarded Post Ever

FWIW, I wouldn't put Eli, Flacco, Kaepernick (duh), or Wilson in the top 10.

Eli Manning manages to at least look better in the playoffs and the Superbowl than regular season games. You could say that he's a better big game QB than his brother....

FWIW, I wouldn't put Eli, Flacco, Kaepernick (duh), or Wilson in the top 10.

Overall... maybe not, but in his list of SB QB match ups over the past 8 years the QBs listed delivered top ten performances... even Kaepernick.

I think that was TC's point.

No QB.. No SB.. it's that simple,, I'm well aware of the Brad Johnsons,Mike Hostetlers and Trent Dilfers of the world. They're few and far between. Id take Eli Manning in a minute. I don't care what anyone says.. He wins SB's.

The Browns have got themselves a good organization going. Starting at the top we have an owner focused on winning. Some complain about him being too much of a hands on owner but he is a huge upgrade over the former hands off owner. Haslam is doing all the right things I want to see anyway. He has good people in place with GM Farmer and HC Pettine and he is standing by them. Pettine was one of the first coaches in the league after the season to get a show of support from the owner even after a disappointing second half of the season. When Farmer got into trouble with that foolishness about texting, Haslam closed ranks and put his full support behind his GM. I saw the real problem as OC Shannahan who is gone and I am happy to see him go. He is getting a track record for his constant complaints formerly with Washington and now with the mess he left behind in Cleveland that we had to clean up after.

Pettine talked about his defensive coaches growing light years in one season and they all are coming back with some turning down promotions to go elsewhere but they all wanted to stay in Cleveland (that should say something about the organization). This will be OC DeFilippo first year as OC but I like what I have seen with him. I only wish when the Browns had not turned down DeFilippo last year to go with the more experienced Shannahan.

Probably the worst case scenario I see going into the season is McCown being the starter but I think this team can win and compete with McCown with the talent on the team. McCown had a horrible year with Tampa last season but the year before he showed he is capable of being a good quarterback with Chicago. McCown will have a great offensive line. The Browns I predict will have one of the elite defenses in the league.

We are on the last piece of the puzzle. The franchise quarterback. It may not happen this year but we will have a very talented team regardless and a solid organization.

Great post!

I have the same feeling about Haslam VS Lerner. ......Lerner cared so little and was so "hands off" that he got taken to the cleaners over and over again....he just kept handing his business over to people who had no stake in it's long term success and then sticking his head in the sand and hoping they did well.....

At least Haslam is no fool and wont get walked all over by his own employees...... it's refreshing to have an owner who actually cares and WANTS the team, as opposed to one who just inherited it and thought it was more of a burden than anything else....

The Browns are light years away from a point where a franchise QB could take them over the top. They need to stop with the sexy picks and build an organization where a franchise QB could make a difference. Stop buying sexy dresses for the pig in an effort to win the beauty contest.

Horseshit. Last season having a better quarterback would have changed us from 7-9 to 9-7 or 10-6. There were some close game that came down to missing a pass or two.

Are you going to count the close games the Browns won or are you just looking for fodor for your hopes and dreams? Light years!

Point is, elite QB play giving us an extra TD per game on average would give the browns a few more wins at least. When our QB and run game was firing, we got to 6-3. Things went downhill when our QB started not playing so well (when our run game no longer worked and defences could target the QB).

So, counting the close games we won makes no sense in this case.

It never does in Clevland

It certainly does when people start saying "we lost these games by less than 3 points, maybe if we play them again we win those games, and we go 10-6 not 7-9." In that case, you also have to factor in those games we won by such a small margin, that if we play again we may lose.

Also, *Cleveland.

The Douche is just that. He has no clue that an outstanding QB can make a full touchdown difference per game.

Perhaps he will learn that if BR gets a knee early in the season and the Steelers have to go with a Bruce Gradkowski or Landry Jones at QB. And they won't have Dick LeBeau to bail them out.

The Douche is just that. He has no clue that an outstanding QB can make a full touchdown difference per game.

Perhaps he will learn that if BR gets a knee early in the season and the Steelers have to go with a Bruce Gradkowski or Landry Jones at QB. And they won't have Dick LeBeau to bail them out.

That thought should scare the shit out of any steeler! At least we know our backup QB is as capable as the starter... ;)

When Pettine was hired he looked at our roster and said the team had enough talent to compete and win and they did. Injuries took a toll later in the season and a lack of depth hurt us. You can make the argument we also won some close games but the bigger picture is this team was competitive with these games being decided in the fourth quarter. In our games with the Steelers we lost a close game 30-27. In our second game with the Steelers we pounded them 31-10. We split the series with the Bengals and lost a couple close games to the Ravens. In our last game with the Ravens with all the distractions of Gordon not making the trip, Manziel and Gilbert forced to stay in the locker room and playing with our 3rd string qb it still took the Ravens well into the fourth quarter to pull that game out. They also had the incentive of having to win that game to make the playoffs while the Browns had nothing on the line.

It was a disappointing season in what it could have been but Pettine overachieved with this team. There is no reason not to believe Pettine is only going to make the team even better next season.

Archived