THE BROWNS BOARD

Changed my mind on the first pick

calfoxwc

Haaaaaaahahaha.....good ole Glum......

glum.jpg

He's always the guy I picture when the whining starts with........"It'll never work"......"we're doomed"......hahahahaaaaaaaa

There's definitely been more appropriate off seasons for thinking the light at the end of the tunnel is a headlamp of an oncoming train. This ain't one of them...

Back in college, our fraternity house had a guy in the basement named Andy. Anytime anybody had a bad day - they'd just go visit Andy and quickly learn how much worse his day/life was going. Next thing we knew, our day was a pleasant walk in the park compared to poor Andy.

At a rush party, some poor guy was trying to read the Haus Cartwright clone's name tag that read "Hello my name is F-A-A-A-A-Q" The guy trying to read it outloud sounded a little dislexic so Andy intervened with "Sound it out asshole!"

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fine... I only commented because you did the same thing with me and I know you are as wrong about tia as you were about me.

Carry on...

I apologized to you because I was wrong even though you felt compelled to leave that out. That would have almost made me sound human right?

And Cal informed you and Tia you were wrong about me right?

I explained what I didn't like - let's cut the kiddie games and get back to talking football... The golden rule is never difficult.

There's definitely been more appropriate off seasons for thinking the light at the end of the tunnel is a headlamp of an oncoming train. This ain't one of them...

nope....second year in a row that my optimism is building....clearly we're getting better and that light is getting brighter.....

some just need to remove the blinders to see it....

I'm not attempting to sell you on Periman at all. In fact, I'm not trying to sell anyone on Perriman.

Selling people on a prospect will glowing reviews is like... the entire point of a forum?

Speed means nothing if that's all you have. Pretty simple. It's all Wallace has which makes him a rather average receiver. Again, you mentioned Hartline. Brian produced before Mike showed up. His production declined after one peak year while having Wallace as the #1. It says quite a bit against the comparison. That argument that the field becomes that much more open doesn't fly. The Steelers Oline when Wallace was on roster was average at best. They have a QB that's made his bones off of holding onto the ball for far too long.

Kiper and McShay are NOT paid by any NFL team or scouting service. They are on no payroll by the organizations that make these picks. Their checks are cut from ESPN. First letter being 'E'.. which stands for entertainment. If these guys were worth the salt they'd be getting bucks from teams, not shows. Although I guess the money is just as good and the hours shorter when you're working on TV. For the most part I'll listen to Mayock and Cosell. As for Perrimen not being my idea? I didn't come across the kid until I was watching tape on Shane Ray after seeing two blatant drops is when he stood out. Perrimen may not be "my idea" when picking, but its also not like every player I've proposed the Browns should look at or that I initially liked ended up being good. I also have no hesitation checking out other players I hadn't discovered and going full support with this picks. Case in point - Shelton. I HATED the thought of picking him around July - August. Then the season wore on and now he's my #1 for this team. Malcolm Brown is the next man up on that list at 12.

I'm not jumping on anyone for wanting a WR's with the intangibles you've listed. If you mentioned taking Cooper or White at 12 I'd be all about that shit, possibly even Parker. All of those receivers have an extensive route tree, but more importantly have shown consistent hands. Perrimen has questionable hands and to me, that's what this boils down to.

Honestly I have no idea where your rant with Phil Taylor is going? You mention conditioning being a problem with the position and separating a NT/DT that will be a 3 down player versus those that will be out of game shape (like Taylor frequently is) So by enjoying the talent that Malcolm Brown brings to the table as a consolation prize is me suggesting we should take any random big for the middle of our defense? If that's how I'm suppose to interpret your comment, then you've straight up pulled that one out of your ass. Carl Davis is the only other player in the top 50 that could fill the position, but he's going to need some work. MASSIVE potential there however.

Also, Pettine's scheme thus far has called for more 1gap work than being your traditional heads up 2gap 34.

"and gave him a cut and paste from Mayock. Next thing I know, he had me on trial for hating offensive line and not wanting a strong running game"

I suggest you go revisit that thread. I asked if you had watched any tape for yourself as opposed to taking the opinions of others. Then YOU went on a rant how our receiving corps was the reason for the dramatic 07 turn around. To which I politely had a rebuttal that the drastic improvement in having a top 5 Oline allowing the run game to thrive and give an average QB like Anderson all the time in the world might have been a bigger reason why. As again, we had those same outside weapon in 2008... but a terrible season.

That is in no way saying that you "hate" the oline, running game... etc etc.

I disagreed with you then, I disagree with the comparison to Wallace and Perrimen being an overall positive now. If my tone comes across as combative, I'll apologize in one sense but not in the other. I can't convey that I'm a calm individual over texts... things just don't translate well. That being said, I've read your posts (in their entirety) in proper context. I wouldn't do anyone the disservice of replying to their posts half ass. Especially with the time, thought and words you clearly put into yours.

I think Perriman needs to be taken seriously. Seems to love the game,

and Bucky talks about him here: he's compared to Bowe, who was coached up to

end up playing at a pro bowl level.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-pro-comparison/0ap3000000481499/Pro-Comparison-Breshad-Perriman

I bet you're fun at parties.

I used to be but I quit drinking ( 21 years clean and sober) and I just plain got old. I have no patience for blatant stupidity.

tumblr_lqstoeCBmf1r15k24o1_400.png

And yes I deserved that.

I was so pissed at the report about Manziel and thinking that we got McCown for a reason and it sure as hell wasn't to lead this team to a championship. 1 win with a receiver like Evans to throw to. . . . I had to watch Bradford in College because the big 12 ruled the airwaves down here, and the level of competition just couldn't rival the SEC or the Big 10. I say pry Johnny away from his girl friend cause she if won't get sober, he won't stay sober and draft an offensive lineman. We signed 3 good free agent receivers, a former starting DB from Green Bay and a DL. That Colt's game last year still chaps my ass. The D put up more points in that game than the offense did in 2 games. We couldn't block a group of grandmothers down the stretch last year.

BTW Thanks for keeping me honest.

I used to be but I quit drinking ( 21 years clean and sober) and I just plain got old. I have no patience for blatant stupidity.

And yes I deserved that.

I was so pissed at the report about Manziel and thinking that we got McCown for a reason and it sure as hell wasn't to lead this team to a championship. 1 win with a receiver like Evans to throw to. . . . I had to watch Bradford in College because the big 12 ruled the airwaves down here, and the level of competition just couldn't rival the SEC or the Big 10. I say pry Johnny away from his girl friend cause she if won't get sober, he won't stay sober and draft an offensive lineman. We signed 3 good free agent receivers, a former starting DB from Green Bay and a DL. That Colt's game last year still chaps my ass. The D put up more points in that game than the offense did in 2 games. We couldn't block a group of grandmothers down the stretch last year.

BTW Thanks for keeping me honest.

The damn Colts game. Almost had that blocked out of my memory...

Okay, I changed my mind again. It's Beasely/Dupree and Brown/Shelton in what

whatever order for 12 and 19. Wait, I just changed it again, they are really interested

in Parker, and everybody knows he won't be around in the second, but ..

wait.... they are also interested in an OT.....

Come on....draft party ! This is nuts. If only the Browns could have a fan's raffle on being allowed

to attend draft day with the Browns' front office, and you could get to see how they figure all this

stuff out.

• 3 weeks later...

If my tone comes across as combative, I'll apologize in one sense but not in the other. I can't convey that I'm a calm individual over texts... things just don't translate well. That being said, I've read your posts (in their entirety) in proper context. I wouldn't do anyone the disservice of replying to their posts half ass. Especially with the time, thought and words you clearly put into yours.

Sorry I never got back to you Tia; but I did appreciate you taking the time to explain some thangs.

We're good. I usually enjoy most of your posts. Trust me when I tell you, the previous inventory regarding Perriman already assured me I have a better chance at selling tanning beds in the tropics than Perriman to our fan base.

The main reason I chose to participate in this thread was because I read the following:

There are some who think Perriman will move up past him(Flugel comes to mind... :) ).......so I hope the Browns are thinking he'll fall and he would be an option at 19.....

Therefore I attempted to make the following clarification: I see Parker getting drafted first between the 2 guys. If we go by where Perriman and Parker are at today development-wise, Parker can get more receptions, TDs, yards per game, etc. He's ahead and projected higher by a ton of people. It's an impressive body of work.

In fairness to you, the other part of that post might have led you think I was selling Perriman at #19. Man, does my memory of all the specifics suck.

don't be surprised if shelton isn't there at 12 that farmer trades back a nidge and garners more picks.

imagine picking 16 19 and 26 with another pick for next year?

Good point. That wouldn't surprise me at all Mik.

don't be surprised if shelton isn't there at 12 that farmer trades back a nidge and garners more picks.

imagine picking 16 19 and 26 with another pick for next year?

Agree on trade back, but what scenario lands us HOU's and BLT's 2015 1sts and someone's 2016 1st and only costs us our #12?

I hope Shelton makes it past Chicago. A lot of mocks have them drafting a receiver, but I don't buy it. They are switching to a 3-4 so taking the best nose tackle available only makes sense.

I doubt John fox will forgo an integral piece to the defensive front to add another receiver when they already have Alshon Jeffrey.

I hope Shelton makes it past Chicago. A lot of mocks have them drafting a receiver, but I don't buy it. They are switching to a 3-4 so taking the best nose tackle available only makes sense.

I doubt John fox will forgo an integral piece to the defensive front to add another receiver when they already have Alshon Jeffrey.

chicago and the gints.

any true GM trying to reinstate a badass run stoppin D is picking the kid.

pleez lordy lordy pleez!

Would you offer Bears P. Taylor and T. Benjamin both FA in 2016, plus ??. To jump to 8 for Shelton.. They need Both Positions. Bears need big help in DB,LB with FA losses and Gaints need OL,LB,RB IMO.

Plan B

La'el Collins, Eddie Goldman, Jaelen Strong or Maxx Williams

Appreciate the alternatives; but anything other than Shelton at #12 seems like a ginormous drop-off. All 4 of those guys could conceivably be available at #19 when we get right down to it. That's why a lot of us like the idea of trading back to add picks.

Would you offer Bears P. Taylor and T. Benjamin both FA in 2016, plus ??. To jump to 8 for Shelton.. They need Both Positions. Bears need big help in DB,LB with FA losses and Gaints need OL,LB,RB IMO.

I'd even pay Phil Taylor's grocery bill.

chicago and the gints.

any true GM trying to reinstate a badass run stoppin D is picking the kid.

pleez lordy lordy pleez!

I think thats the reality here.....we all are planning on Shelton and then some.......

But, there better be a plan B.........cause I think we're not the only ones........

I really want Shelton, but I think it will most likely take trading up to get him. As long as it's not both our 1st rounders, go for it.

That being said, I'll support whoever ends up being Browns, but I'll gag a little if I hear Mariota or Winston, & I'll flat out BARF if I hear Bradford.

Mike

Archived