THE BROWNS BOARD

2015 - FA / Draft / Notes

JAFBF

LOL.

Yeah, not real funny to be on the receiving end though.

Gilbert still has a shot - he's got the Tools & Skills, just needs the will and effort.

JFF is a long shot - don't know if he's got either, definitely needs the effort to even show if he's got the Skills.

Not directly addressing your comment, but pertains to this years Draft and so forth.

I'm definitely not an NFL caliber Scout, and I haven't spent a whole lot of time watching every College game this past year.

Mariota is not a QB candidate we want to go after (sorry Ray).

I'm not just jumping on the hate Mariota Bandwagon, I said this last year when he was first brought to my attention.

Seems to be a nice guy, smart and all that.

The hype everyone's ever pointed me too about how great he was . . . well, his Receivers were so damn wide open that I could have hit them for a huge gain . . . and I'm an OMF.

How does that show he's a great QB?

Pretty much said the same about Trent Richardson (on a now defunct Forum) that of outside of one play, I didn't see why he was that great since the Alabama line essentially cleared the field for him.

One time in his highlights did I see him take on a DB and move things that looked good.

Also have on here somewhere where with pics where he just totally misses holes you could drive a couple of Tanks through.

I really think Mariota falls into this category as of this point in time - OSU sure seemed to be on to him.

Haven't watched Wintson, but he's likely to go #1 from what I've read - no way can we go after him so it's a mute point.

If Ray tries to go after Mariota (whom he was really high on last year), then not only am I going to be extremely disappointed, but I'll also be looking for us to get a new FO.

I really expect our FO to have more vision than that, and I really like what Ray has done so far.

On a personal agenda note, after posting some of those Haslam/Cardale pics . . . I would really like to see us grab this guy next year if possible.

Kid.s unflappable, has the Arm, touch and is flat out built for the beating our Division elicits.

I don't care if we have to sit him for three years to develop him, I think he could turn us into the Dynasty we've all been waiting for.

Meanwhile, I'd have no issues with seeing Hoyer briding/mentoring the gap.

Great post. 100% agree. I'll turn on Farmer if we trade up for Mariota(tho I don't see it happening).

I too think, as painful it is, we ride Hoyer until we find the QB we really want (like jones), and add talent to other areas of the team in the meantime. Where that is prioritized is a whole nother discussion..

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If nobody offers Hoyer starting money and signs anywhere but Cleveland for a backup contract. This front office needs to be held accountable for not doing their jobs. The only fucking way JF starts is if they rig the starting job by bringing in complete scrubs to compete. Cause we know for sure 100% Hoyer is a much better pro than dickwad can ever be.

Like what? Getting 2 busts in the 1st? Again? That was really magical.

no asswipe. we all know the first round last year was suspect. even though i still think gilbert will be all-pro like you think manziel will be.

i was talking about the same type of magic farmer brought with the bitonio - desir picks.

bitch.

no asswipe. we all know the first round last year was suspect. even though i still think gilbert will be all-pro like you think manziel will be.

i was talking about the same type of magic farmer brought with the bitonio - desir picks.

bitch.

What a complete fucking moron. Bitonio was a great pick. Desir has shown little. You're wrong about Gilbert, as of now he sucks, that's a FACT. so STFU with your BS all pro garbage.

You're really a pathetic person. You ever get a boyfriend, or still sucking different dick every night off Tinder? Quit posting all day every day on here and get a fuckin life you POS.

I think Hoyer is dividing quite a few Browns Fan.

Fact is, Hoyer is the winningest QB we've had since the 80's/90's.

Fact - with a good Rushing attack an Hoyer at QB, we win . . . period.

From what I've seen the past few days, the Browns are going to run more than they did last year.

If this is effective, pretty much any QB can be effective - with Hoyer at QB, we'll eat anyone for lunch, I really believe that.

The overlooked aspect of this upcoming year is the continuity on our Defense.

Yeah, I'd really like Pettine to keep a high focus on this, but we made strides - for as many yards as we allowed, we were a top 10 in points allowed (bottom line this is were the rubber meets the road).

Continued Defensive progression and and upgrades in our Offense can really change the complexion of this Team.

Carolina vs Browns.

When Manziel went out with the injury, how many folks here felt better with our chances when Hoyer came in?

Seriously, the guy lead the NFL record for a comeback . . . and we're going to throw this guy on the trash heap?

His and Benjamins Jerseys are in the freakin's Hall of Fame for The Record comeback in the History of the NFL . . .

First Start for the Browns vs Minnesota.

Yeah, really, the guy can play.

He may not be the shinest in the League, but damn folks, he's had some mighty fine games with what he's had to work with . . . how about that Cincy game last year where Dion said "Pay the Man" ?

He lost his OL, then Gordon came back running the wrong Routes (INT's galore), still had Chemistry with Austin & Dray for critical 3rd Downs . . . .

We've seen all he has to offer?

Damn, he's only played what, 16 games in his entire Career?

Not to mention he was coming back from an ACL injury . . . you're damn straight I'd give Hoyer the Payday and the Starting job until we find someone better (and I don't think it's JFF).

Sorry, I may be rubbing some forum members the wrong way, but Hoyer is the best QB this Franchise has seen in 15+ years . . . sign him and play him.

What a complete fucking moron. Bitonio was a great pick. Desir has shown little. You're wrong about Gilbert, as of now he sucks, that's a FACT. so STFU with your BS all pro garbage.

You're really a pathetic person. You ever get a boyfriend, or still sucking different dick every night off Tinder? Quit posting all day every day on here and get a fuckin life you POS.

Weeeelllllllll, I have to side with Mik on this one.

Bitonio was a Home Run.

Desir as a project Player looks like he could be a winner - hell, he's beat out our #1 (Gilbert) at the end of the Season.

Gilbert has had a few flashes in my eyes.

Now whether he takes it to the level of his talent level or not is yet to be seen, but at this point I'd rate him a head of JFF.

Optimistically it'd be fantastic if both started living up to their Billing, but realistically I see Gilbert doing that more than Manziel.

OMG

You've got to be kidding me.

This was our #1 failure in developing Manziel and correcting the problems Hoyer developed after our OL went too shit :

Albert Breer @AlbertBreer · 2h 2 hours ago Bears announce they've hired former Titans OC and Browns QBs coach Dowell Loggains as their quarterbacks coach. So Gase/Loggains for Cutler.

If Loggains had been on the job, maybe he should have corrected Hoyer's mechanics after we lost our OL continuity . . . maybe even helped Manziel with his . . . .

That this guy was ever an OC totally befuddles me.

On ESPN "Fact or Fiction" they said this guy would never Coach in the NFL again . . . .

Like part of this :

Steve Doerschuk @sdoerschukREP · 7h 7 hours ago Blll's dad once told us SB hardware should be called the Paul Brown Trophy. Chances it will ever be the Belichick Trophy suddenly deflated.

And . . .

Browns Notebook: ‘Flip’ head over heels for Josh Gordon

JG might be around for at least one more Season (personally love the guy, but get a grip on Real Life ) :

http://www.cantonrep.com/article/20150122/SPORTS/150129700/10406/SPORTS

Weeeelllllllll, I have to side with Mik on this one.

Bitonio was a Home Run.

Desir as a project Player looks like he could be a winner - hell, he's beat out our #1 (Gilbert) at the end of the Season.

Gilbert has had a few flashes in my eyes.

Now whether he takes it to the level of his talent level or not is yet to be seen, but at this point I'd rate him a head of JFF.

Optimistically it'd be fantastic if both started living up to their Billing, but realistically I see Gilbert doing that more than Manziel.

I agree with your previous post on Hoyer, we need to retain him, period.

I do not agree with seeing flashes of great www in Gilbert, or those flashes somehow justifying #8 overall. As you mentioned, Kuwan Williams and Desir getting more of than him. Thus far he's an epic bust until proven otherwise.

JAF...

Hoyer's issue was his head, not mechanics. Saw this all through the roller coaster 2nd half of the season.

As long as we can sustain a run game, week in and week out, then Hoyer is an adequate candidate, but so are many other reasonable options. I think we can improve upon him.

The key concept above is "sustain a run game" and clearly that means O-line depth... real depth, not just players in uniforms with lineman numbers. McDonald worked hard for weeks to improve to be marginally inadequate... and then got hurt. I shudder to think how we'd have fared had Schwartz gone down let alone Thomas.

Hey Tony: Soon the Titans will be going up for sale and Jimmy Haslam is scheduled to pay the Lerners $300 or so million. Don’t you think Haslam would rather own his home state team? How likely is it there might be a Browns/Titans ownership swap similar to 1972’s Carrol Rosenbloom’s Baltimore Colts for Robert Irsay’s Los Angeles Rams?

-- Chris, Miamisburg, OH

Hey Chris: The current ownership of the Titans has refuted the rumor that the team soon will be up for sale. It may be natural to assume Haslam would prefer to own the team in his own state; he inquired about buying it several years ago. However, I don’t have any reason to believe it. A team-for-team swap is unusual, but as you point out it has been done before. I wouldn’t bet on it.

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=18&post_id=41831

I mentioned this the other day in thread, didn't know if it was possible or had ever happened before.

Seems it has.

JAF...

Hoyer's issue was his head, not mechanics. Saw this all through the roller coaster 2nd half of the season.

As long as we can sustain a run game, week in and week out, then Hoyer is an adequate candidate, but so are many other reasonable options. I think we can improve upon him.

The key concept above is "sustain a run game" and clearly that means O-line depth... real depth, not just players in uniforms with lineman numbers. McDonald worked hard for weeks to improve to be marginally inadequate... and then got hurt. I shudder to think how we'd have fared had Schwartz gone down let alone Thomas.

I don't doubt that his head got messed up because his protection went to crap, which resulted in him rushing and messing up his throwing mechanics.

You could be more right than me on this, I just keep having flashes of some plays where he's throwing off is back foot.

I'd need to go back and re-watch some games.

anyone watching the senior bowl?

the 'north' team has this kid from wisconsin playing right guard. must be close to 6'9".

OT Rob Havenstein, RS Senior (6-7 | 327 | 5.40 | #78)

The Badgers' starter at right tackle the past two seasons, Havenstein enters his senior season with 28 starts under his belt, all on the right side. He is a mammoth human being with good body thickness throughout and stout strength to absorb contact and hold his ground. Havenstein has ordinary athleticism for the position and clearly lacks elite lateral quickness with some hip and joint stiffness that keeps him from being a natural bender. He tends to overextend himself at times too with inconsistent body control, but he's a physical mauler and brings the right mentality to the position each snap. Although still inconsistent recognizing extra pressures, Havenstein is the veteran member of the Badgers up front with the most game and starting experience. He isn't a highly graded NFL prospect, but there is a place at the next level for a player with his strengths.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-senior-bowl-0120-20150119-story.html#page=1

I was more impressed by Collins from LSU on the OL. And if we want to go higher in the draft for a runback/wr type, there is no better than Tyler Lockett from KSU. I watched him in a few games this year and he was the best athlete on that team and has great hands w speed to burn. Shifty little devil too!

I was more impressed by Collins from LSU on the OL. And if we want to go higher in the draft for a runback/wr type, there is no better than Tyler Lockett from KSU. I watched him in a few games this year and he was the best athlete on that team and has great hands w speed to burn. Shifty little devil too!

oh there's prob a lot better candidates. saw havenstein yesterday play in the senior bowl and they had at LT, G and RT and he just manhandled anyone that came up against him. plus having the ability to play those multiple postions AND he'll prob still be available in the late 3rd early 4th........??

I think a higher tackle pick would be a good idea. God forbid that

Joe Thomas gets hurt. Whoever the qb is, will get hurt.

A guy who is so good, he could play RT, and take over on the left eventually,

well, unless Joe is going to play til he's 35 and never get hurt......, (he's 30 now?)

That would be very smart. And those guys tend to be valued way too high to nab them

later on. If your oline can't block, you may as well admit it, your offense will fail.

God forbid that Joe Thomas gets hurt.....

well, unless Joe is going to play til he's 35 and never get hurt......, (he's 30 now?)

And, though I have nothing to base this on, I think that Thomas seems like he could be the type to retire early vs staying too long.....

So Id only plan on getting a couple/few more years from him, then everything after that is bonus time.....

If he got injured, Bito could probably step in and do ok in a pinch.....he would definitely do better than our back up centers did this season....thats for sure!

You could be more right than me on this, I just keep having flashes of some plays where he's throwing off is back foot. I'd need to go back and re-watch some games.

And just to be clear I am not saying those memories are incorrect, but if you do rewatch games try noting where he steps in relationship to his back foot (from 0900 to 1200) vs. how the pass looked (how authoritative, tightness of spiral) vs. the result (on target, slightly off, well off). Only time I found front back foot useful was when on the run.

OT Rob Havenstein, RS Senior (6-7 | 327 | 5.40 | #78)

... ordinary athleticism for the position and clearly lacks elite lateral quickness with some hip and joint stiffness that keeps him from being a natural bender. He tends to overextend himself at times too with inconsistent body control...[/size]

We're pretty much covered there... :)

I screwed around and missed the game, but few of the linemen that my sights are narrowing in on were there. Some accounts say that one I have taken a liking to did well though... Duke OG Laken Tomlinson. As an added most see him as a Day 2 guy... or at least they did going into the Sr. Bowl.

• 2 weeks later...

Just did some film study on Brandon Scherff last nite. I have to say I don't get him. I watched his 2014 games vs. Indiana and Maryland. He was mediocre vs. Indiana. Maryland came very close to owning him.

He has great feet and is definitely athletic, but lacks power. I saw no successful run blocks vs. D-linemen, but they ran so seldom his way that the sample size was small. His feet generally did get him into good position vs. 2nd and 3rd level defenders.

Worst of all, however, his pass blocking technique is non-existant. He has no kick step in his drop. He's too upright. Bull rushers get to his body and drive him. Speed rushers rip him inside with little difficulty.

He's the 2015 version of Greg Robinson... minus the power.

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/brandon-scherff/

Stanford's Andrus Peat is far more NFL ready as he is and has a frame that can add another 30 pounds or more.

dumpster_fire.0_standard_400.0.jpg

Ahhhhh . . . deeeeeeepppppp breeeaaatttthhhh . . . .

Damn.

Off - Season seems to be more interesting than Regular Season these days . . .

Just hope Farmer is still around for our Draft, I think he's going to do the right things for now.

Rumor floating around kicked off by Goldhammer on the Radio today . . .

Don't have any details yet, but it seems like something is going on with Hoyer and the Browns.

Seriously hope we resign him, we can win with him if we build the Team on O & D and he's not worrying about other crap going on.

Was thinking our first two picks were going to be OT then DL, but after a bit more reading now it might be DL then OT, with possible QB at 3rd (2nd round - Hundley).

Still have the Combine in a couple of weeks to see how things shuffle around a bit, so we'll see what if anything changes.

FA is going to move things around a bit as well, doesn't look like we're going to be getting Suh, which is a good thing in my opinion.

Been thinking about it, and really don't want to see us go after a QB this year.

Definitely not moving up for Winston/Mariota, they're just not worth selling everything for.

Bad as it sounds, right now I hope we're looking at going after Cardale Jones.

Dude is built, is an ice cube, and can just flat out throw the ball.

Don't care if he needs to sit a year or two to get up to speed, guy is going to be a Monster and we need to get him . . . somehow.

Just did some film study on Brandon Scherff last nite. I have to say I don't get him. I watched his 2014 games vs. Indiana and Maryland. He was mediocre vs. Indiana. Maryland came very close to owning him.

He has great feet and is definitely athletic, but lacks power. I saw no successful run blocks vs. D-linemen, but they ran so seldom his way that the sample size was small. His feet generally did get him into good position vs. 2nd and 3rd level defenders.

Worst of all, however, his pass blocking technique is non-existant. He has no kick step in his drop. He's too upright. Bull rushers get to his body and drive him. Speed rushers rip him inside with little difficulty.

He's the 2015 version of Greg Robinson... minus the power.

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/brandon-scherff/

Stanford's Andrus Peat is far more NFL ready as he is and has a frame that can add another 30 pounds or more.

After reading this, I'm thinking we're going DL @ 12 and OL at 19.

If there's a great ILB @ 12 then go that way, as that's where I think we're weakest right now - Kirksey putting on some weight and adding strength could change that (like the kid).

Don't know if Robertson will be back, but he has some skills . . . could be better, but we've still got a bit of building to do.

I'd like to see us defer going after a QB (especially in this Class) and work on developing an Elite D if possible this year.

Yeah, we gave up a lot, but our Points Allowed was better - that's what really matters.

And, though I have nothing to base this on, I think that Thomas seems like he could be the type to retire early vs staying too long.....

So Id only plan on getting a couple/few more years from him, then everything after that is bonus time.....

If he got injured, Bito could probably step in and do ok in a pinch.....he would definitely do better than our back up centers did this season....thats for sure!

Could be a little shuffling, maybe move him to G if/when he starts slowing down.

It's really up to Joe as to how long he want's to do this, he's definitely got the skills to hang around for some more years.

After reading this, I'm thinking we're going DL @ 12 and OL at 19.

If there's a great ILB @ 12 then go that way, as that's where I think we're weakest right now - Kirksey putting on some weight and adding strength could change that (like the kid).

Don't know if Robertson will be back, but he has some skills . . . could be better, but we've still got a bit of building to do.

If Shelton or Peat is there at 12, then I can't see us passing on him. If both, then Shelton. But I'm thinking neither will be. There may be an interesting DE.

I do not see an ILB worth a #1 in this draft. McKinney was a widely held #1, but doesn't fit Pet's scheme... and he's started dropping for some reason.

Archived