THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Sign Shelton

Opal312

The Browns reached a deal with their No. 12 overall pick on a four-year, $11.7 million contract with a $6.7 million signing bonus, a source informed of the deal told NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport on Monday. The pact also includes a fifth-year team option.

The Browns reached a deal with their No. 12 overall pick on a four-year, $11.7 million contract with a $6.7 million signing bonus, a source informed of the deal told NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport on Monday. The pact also includes a fifth-year team option.

NFL.com

"Budda The Great Pumpkin" on Paper!! Know let's get to the Hard One's Like Gipson and Mack on More Paper...

Exactly. And yet I'm sure there's a "market rate" for these contracts. Well, why? If other teams don't have the option to take my guy, why does my pay have to be in line with theirs?

The Browns would only hold his rights for one year, then he would be eligible to re-declare for the NFL draft or enter as a UDFA...if he chooses to go to another professional league for a year.

At least, that's how I've always thought it was.

The Browns would only hold his rights for one year, then he would be eligible to re-declare for the NFL draft or enter as a UDFA...if he chooses to go to another professional league for a year.

At least, that's how I've always thought it was.

Not sure it was always that way (if you go back far enough, I think teams held rights forever), but what you said is correct now.

Back to the original question...

The salary and bonus is set by the $$$ pool established under the CBA, but there are points of negotiation around how much of the bonus is guaranteed money and the timing of its payout.

Archived