THE BROWNS BOARD

Pro Football Titles by Market

The Gipper

Here is the ACTUAL list of the number of Pro Football titles won in each major market in the US. These include the NFL and leagues/teams that merged with the NFL:

Green Bay 13....all by the Packers

Cleveland/Ak/Cant. 13.....8 by Browns, 3 by Bulldogs, 1 by Rams, 1 by Pros

Chicago 11....9 by Bears, 2 by Cardinals

NY/NJ 9 ....8 by Giants, 1 by Jets

San Fran/Oak/SJ 7....5 by 49ers, 2 by Raiders

Dallas 6....5 by Cowboys, 1 by Texans

Pittsburgh 6 ...all by Steelers

Baltimore 5 ...3 by Colts, 2 by Ravens

Boston/NE 5 ...4 by Patriots, 1 by Prov. Steam Roller

Washington 5 ...all by Redskins

Detroit 4 ...all by Lions

Philadelphia 4 ...3 by Eagles, 1 by Frankford Yellow Jackets

Buffalo 2 ...all by Bills

Denver 2....by Broncos

Houston 2 ...by Oilers

LA/Anaheim 2 ...1 by Rams, 1 by Raiders

Miami 2 ... by Dolphins

Seattle 1...by Seahawks

Tampa Bay 1 ...by Buccaneers

San Diego 1 ...by Chargers

St. Louis 1 ....by Rams

New Orleans 1 ...by Saints

Kansas City 1 ...by Chiefs

Indianapolis 1 ...by Colts

Here is the ACTUAL list of the number of Pro Football titles won in each major market in the US. These include the NFL and leagues/teams that merged with the NFL:

And... I was alive to see... 0 out of 13... :(

And... I was alive to see... 0 out of 13... :(

I was alive for 3 of them.....but I was only cognizant of the one in 1964. I was 12. (and only 2 and 3 for the other 2).

Sunday December 27, 1964. Browns 27 Colts 0. Gary Collins catches 3 TD passes from Frank Ryan. It was blacked out locally, but the black and white rebroadcast of the game was aired the following Monday night. It got such good ratings that it is believed to have been the genesis of the concept of Monday Night Football.

As long as we are on that subject...I will state my own situation in regard to each team's titles:

Green Bay 13....all by the Packers

Alive for 7....but only remember 5. I was just a bit too young to remember 61 but I sorta, but not really remember 1962.

See above

Chicago 11....9 by Bears, 2 by Cardinals

I remember the Bears 1963 title.....really the first one I specifically remember...plus 1985. Cards win prior to birth.

NY/NJ 9 ....8 by Giants, 1 by Jets

Remember the Jets and 4 Super Bowl era Giants titles. Not 1956 though I was alive, and others pre-birth

San Fran/Oak/SJ 7....5 by 49ers, 2 by Raiders

Remember all....all won post high school.

Dallas 6....5 by Cowboys, 1 by Texans

Remember the 5 Cowboys...all post HS. But not the Texans 1962 title as just before I became "aware".

Pittsburgh 6 ...all by Steelers

Remember all...all post HS

Baltimore 5 ...3 by Colts, 2 by Ravens

All earned while I was alive...but do not remember 58/59 Colts titles. Remember 1970 Colts and of course Ravens.

Boston/NE 5 ...4 by Patriots, 1 by Prov. Steam Roller

Remember all the Pats....but not alive for 20s era Steam Roller

Washington 5 ...all by Redskins

3 Joe Gibbs era remember well. The other 2 pre-birth.

Detroit 4 ...all by Lions

Alive for 3 of them....but last one was when I was 5 years old.

Philadelphia 4 ...3 by Eagles, 1 by Frankford Yellow Jackets

Only 1960 Eagles title was I alive for....and do not remember it.

Buffalo 2 ...all by Bills

Remember both from 1964 and 1965

Denver 2....by Broncos

Both in 90s, remember

Houston 2 ...by Oilers

1960/61...both just before I became "aware".

LA/Anaheim 2 ...1 by Rams, 1 by Raiders

LA Rams won their only title about 15 days before I was born. Remember Raiders

Miami 2 ... by Dolphins

Remember both...both post HS.

Seattle 1...by Seahawks

Remember of course...I also remember them blowing one on the worst decison in American Sports history. Now, when was that?

Tampa Bay 1 ...by Buccaneers

Yes

San Diego 1 ...by Chargers

1963, this title and the Bears first ones I specifically recall.

St. Louis 1 ....by Rams

Yes

New Orleans 1 ...by Saints

Yes

Kansas City 1 ...by Chiefs

1969 title, Super Bowl won 4 days after I turned 18.

Indianapolis 1 ...by Colts

Yes

Top 10 cities with the most championships. How could they have forgotten about Cleveland???

http://www.therichest.com/sports/top-10-u-s-cities-with-the-most-pro-sports-championships/9/

1. NY 55

2. Bos 34..35 since the article was written

3. Chi 27

4. Det 22

5. LA 19

6. Phil 16

7. Pitt 14

8. St. Louis 13

9. GB 13

10. Bal 9

Baltimore should get the boot and Cleveland put in the 10 spot with 13 IMO.

In the following link the numbers are a tad different with some cities, plus they don't include Baltimore instead add San Fran and Oakland as one city.

Nevertheless another ranking that forgets all about Cleveland.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2011/06/06/top-10-cities-with-the-most-sports-championships

Gipper is pretty good with this shit, maybe he can explain why Cleveland isn't on the list...maybe these cities have won in modern times I dunno.

Now here's one that didn't forget about Cleveland.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/8-american-cities-with-the-most-miserable-sports-fans.html/?a=viewall

Top 10 cities with the most championships. How could they have forgotten about Cleveland???

http://www.therichest.com/sports/top-10-u-s-cities-with-the-most-pro-sports-championships/9/

1. NY 55

2. Bos 34..35 since the article was written

3. Chi 27

4. Det 22

5. LA 19

6. Phil 16

7. Pitt 14

8. St. Louis 13

9. GB 13

10. Bal 9

Baltimore should get the boot and Cleveland put in the 10 spot with 13 IMO.

In the following link the numbers are a tad different with some cities, plus they don't include Baltimore instead add San Fran and Oakland as one city.

Nevertheless another ranking that forgets all about Cleveland.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2011/06/06/top-10-cities-with-the-most-sports-championships

Gipper is pretty good with this shit, maybe he can explain why Cleveland isn't on the list...maybe these cities have won in modern times I dunno.

Now here's one that didn't forget about Cleveland.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/8-american-cities-with-the-most-miserable-sports-fans.html/?a=viewall

Some of these idiots do not count the AAFC titles perhaps. But, of course, they should. The AAFC merged with the NFL just like the AFL (maybe they don't count AFL either...or the WHA or maybe the ABA....all of which I include). They are missing something....as I have NYC with 59, not 55. And Boston has 37, not 35. (they may not include Providence....my count is by market....and Boston and Providence constitute the same TV market.)

And that may be the issue with Cleveland as well. I include a market.....and Akron and Canton are includable in the Cleveland market. These sources may not include these "Greater Cleveland" titles in with the Cleveland count.

Note that I also include San Fran, San Jose, Oakland as one market. They may not do that either.

Archived