THE BROWNS BOARD

Same ole stuff

rich4eagle

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fine except sites like Walter's are not questioning our adding line depth, it's spending a first rounder to do it and/or spending #19 on Erving, who many thought was a late first pick at best.

Especially in the ZBS... and especially in the middle of the line.

The ZBS choreography displayed by our intact starting O-line was gorgeous. Only Greco came anywhere near the combination of speed and strength to the position after Mack went down. Problem was we had no one to back fill John's RG spot.

Exactly what I'm saying Tour. If they want to say Erving is a very expensive insurance policy, and we paid too much for it- well so be it. Mack can opt out after this year- and even if he doesn't he's going to want a ton of money.

Should Joe Thomas ever get hurt- his replacement before Irving would probably be Bitonio- then who plays LG? MHO is it doesn't hurt to be 6 deep on the o-line.

Exactly what I'm saying Tour. If they want to say Erving is a very expensive insurance policy, and we paid too much for it- well so be it. Mack can opt out after this year- and even if he doesn't he's going to want a ton of money.

Should Joe Thomas ever get hurt- his replacement before Irving would probably be Bitonio- then who plays LG? MHO is it doesn't hurt to be 6 deep on the o-line.

Exactly...

It's not that I do not think Cam is not a high potential, interior line prospect... he is. It's whether there were other options available to be that 6th man later in the draft... there were.

Then it's whether or not in a year's time an alternative choice would be as ready to replace Mack as Cam would be. Harder to project that.

But to really make a comparison you have to consider what else could have been done with the #19 used to take Cam. I suspect trading down to take him a few slots later was not an option due to a lack of quality offers. So who else was a candidate at 19?

The way the draft fell here is the obvious comparison that has to be made:

Erving & Orchard vs. Dupree/Ray & Marpet

Interesting call to make. Personally I like Marpet... and lean towards Orchard. So I could have made a sizeable trade down... or two.

We shall see...

Exactly...

It's not that I do not think Cam is not a high potential, interior line prospect... he is. It's whether there were other options available to be that 6th man later in the draft... there were.

Then it's whether or not in a year's time an alternative choice would be as ready to replace Mack as Cam would be. Harder to project that.

But to really make a comparison you have to consider what else could have been done with the #19 used to take Cam. I suspect trading down to take him a few slots later was not an option due to a lack of quality offers. So who else was a candidate at 19?

The way the draft fell here is the obvious comparison that has to be made:

Erving & Orchard vs. Dupree/Ray & Marpet

Interesting call to make. Personally I like Marpet... and lean towards Orchard. So I could have made a sizeable trade down... or two.

We shall see...

I say that we offer La'el Collins the max contract we can offer him, then have him, Greco, Schwartz and Erving duke it out for the two available spots along the right side.

I think Collins could be a very capable ZBS guard, while I think Erving would be the most passable RT we have - partly because I still hate Schwartz. I like Erving in space more than Collins and I like Collins' mentality more on the interior than I do Erving.

If JT and Mack both get hurt/leave, we can move Bito to LT, Erving to C, Collins to LG, and Schwartz and Greco can reclaim their spots along the right.

Once cleared? Why not?

I never saw what others have in Collins, but for the price of a UDFA, how can you go wrong?

and stopping other teams from doing so mashes that point.

a FG hit or missed won how many SBs?

Without TD's.. you win nothing...Now mash that into yo brain!

Without TD's.. you win nothing...Now mash that into yo brain!

i seem to recall plenty of games decided by field goals. just saying.

as many have said before, the WR is the shiny hood ornament placed on a finished product. just ask watkins, beckham jr., evans, megatron, johnson etc. etc. etc. how good it felt playing in the super bowl last year.

and stopping other teams from doing so mashes that point.

a FG hit or missed won how many SBs?

Not that you need any help here Mik; but does anyone remember how the NY Giants beat the Buffalo Bills in the Superbowl?

They put together 2 record length scoring drives (one that exceeded 11 minutes and another that exceeded 13 minutes). Their plan was to go right at Bruce Smith's elite 1 gap skillset behind their version of John Deere Tractor better known as Jumbo Elliott.

How many TDs could Buffalo score while NY possessed the football over 11 minutes and over 13 minutes? Even worse, what if both those drives were punctuated with TDs?

Lost in translation was the reality that Jeff Hostetler was able to win the same Superbowl that Jim Kelly could not.

Once cleared? Why not?

I never saw what others have in Collins, but for the price of a UDFA, how can you go wrong?

Im quite surprised he wasnt offered second round money. I thought it would turn into an all-out bidding war.

Yup... all in the CBA.

I've been thinking that he lost a lot of coin falling to UDFA, but given that he can get a renegotiated deal after his 2nd year rather than 5-years (4 plus option) as first rounders do, that might not be the case.

As a mid-first he'd have made around $9mm with another $5-6mm or in his option year.

As a UDFA he'll make about $1.1mm his first two years and any renegotiation would be subject to the "proven performance escalator (PPE)"... :wacko:

Yup... he ain't catching up.

He knows he'll get his money. I think a very important thing to Collins was to be able to CHOOSE where he would play.

Mike

Archived