THE BROWNS BOARD

Look Into The Future For A Thread Of Hope.

PoeticG

Hey Brownies, let's play a little game here. I say that the Browns are gonna stay at the 4 spot and take a playmaker there. We have Trent Richardson. We have Justin Blackmon. We have Morris Claiborn and Ryan Tannihill. This is our upcoming opponents:

Week 1 Sunday 9/9/2012 Bengals @ Browns CBS 1:00 PM

Week 2 Sunday 9/16/2012 Browns @ Giants CBS 1:00 PM

Week 3 Sunday 9/23/2012 Browns @ Cowboys CBS 4:15 PM

Week 4 Thursday 9/27/2012 Ravens @ Browns NFLN 8:20 PM

Week 5 Sunday 10/7/2012 Browns @ Broncos CBS 4:15 PM

Week 6 Sunday 10/14/2012 Chargers @ Browns CBS 1:00 PM

Week 7 Sunday 10/21/2012 Redskins @ Browns FOX 1:00 PM

Week 8 Sunday 10/28/2012 Browns @ Steelers CBS 1:00 PM

Week 9 Monday 11/5/2012 Eagles @ Browns ESPN 8:30 PM

Week 10 BYE

Week 11 Sunday 11/18/2012 Bills @ Browns CBS 1:00 PM

Week 12 Sunday 11/25/2012 Steelers @ Browns CBS 1:00 PM

Week 13 Sunday 12/2/2012 Browns @ Bengals CBS 1:00 PM

Week 14 Sunday 12/9/2012 Browns @ Raiders CBS 4:15 PM

Week 15 Sunday 12/16/2012 Browns @ Colts CBS 1:00 PM

Week 16 Sunday 12/23/2012 Chiefs @ Browns CBS 1:00 PM

Week 17 Sunday 12/30/2012 Browns @ Ravens CBS 1:00 PM

Predict what our record would be if we took each player. I'll start...

Browns with Richardson: 11-5

Browns with Blackmon: 8-8

Browns with Claiborn: 7-9

Browns with Tannihill: 5-11

What's your call?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'm starting to come along with the idea of picking richardson or blackmon. i was all about claiborn but instead of being pig-headed as usual i can see the wisdom of grabbing a sure-fire offensive playmaker with #4.

now if we trade down all bets are off and you MIGHT see the OL being our target. don't like it but it's all a crap shoot anyways right?

If the Browns draft Richardson,

they will draft other players with their other picks, Mark.

In total, that would fix several problems for the Browns.

Doug Martin is fine by me, cept that he's no Richardson.

There hasn't been a Richardson in several drafts.

That makes Richardson and everybody else drafted on draft day by the Browns -

a dynamic improvement in the functionality of the offense, and maybe the defense, too.

That's how I read it.

PG, please stop drinking the Richardson Kool-aid. It can realistically be said the Vikings had better talent than the Browns last year, had Adrian Peterson (better than Richardson by all accounts) for over half the season, and still managed to win fewer games than the Browns. 11-5 is Pie in the Sky Crackheaded thinking.

The Browns could easily go 4-12 with MCoy at qb, and a few key injuries. 9-7 with anyone drafted- that's as rose colored as I can get, and frankly, I'm not feeling it right now. We still don't have a linebacker that could start for either the Steelers or Ravens. And who's or RT? Yes, that's right- we don't have one worth a damn currently on the roster. You thinking Heckert is going to pull another draft day miracle out of his hat and find another Sebastian Vollmer in the fourth round?

PS looking at the schedule- could be 2-14 sorry about reality.

PG, please stop drinking the Richardson Kool-aid. It can realistically be said the Vikings had better talent than the Browns last year, had Adrian Peterson (better than Richardson by all accounts) for over half the season, and still managed to win fewer games than the Browns. 11-5 is Pie in the Sky Crackheaded thinking.

The Browns could easily go 4-12 with MCoy at qb, and a few key injuries. 9-7 with anyone drafted- that's as rose colored as I can get, and frankly, I'm not feeling it right now. We still don't have a linebacker that could start for either the Steelers or Ravens. And who's or RT? Yes, that's right- we don't have one worth a damn currently on the roster. You thinking Heckert is going to pull another draft day miracle out of his hat and find another Sebastian Vollmer in the fourth round?

PS looking at the schedule- could be 2-14 sorry about reality.

I think Richardson puts more wins on the board than anyone else we can draft there. I'm not thinking 11-5 but losing all but two of our games by 1 TD last season with NO running game makes me think we could have turned the season from 4-12 to something more around 7-9. And how in the hell were the Vikings any better. They have Harvin who is really only effective if used right and has a good QB, no QB, Jared Allen who is not their whole offense, and a solid MLB. After that their shit. That is an example of why a great RB by himself won't take a team to the playoffs not a great RB with a good defense and balanced offense.

Oh and by Tannehill you might as well put (Colt still starter) cause he isn't coming in unless/when Colt gets hurt and I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Wallace or Lewis (depending on who is kept as a back up in that situation) instead of Tannehill.

... and Trent is the Rookie of the Year...

... and Trent is league MVP...

... and in a massive write-in campaign Trent is elected POTUS...

... and Trent balances the budget... while slashing taxes... and increasing entitlements...

... and Trent discovers a cure for erectile disfunction...

But don't leave us hanging Po-G... Does Trent lead us to victory in SB XLVII???

Would have made a great April Fools thread...

... and Trent is the Rookie of the Year...

... and Trent is league MVP...

... and in a massive write-in campaign Trent is elected POTUS...

... and Trent balances the budget... while slashing taxes... and increasing entitlements...

... and Trent discovers a cure for erectile disfunction...

But don't leave us hanging Po-G... Does Trent lead us to victory in SB XLVII???

Would have made a great April Fools thread...

The most important thing he could do for mankind.

Hey Brownies, let's play a little game here. I say that the Browns are gonna stay at the 4 spot and take a playmaker there. We have Trent Richardson. We have Justin Blackmon. We have Morris Claiborn and Ryan Tannihill. This is our upcoming opponents:

Week 1 Sunday 9/9/2012 Bengals @ Browns CBS 1:00 PM

Week 2 Sunday 9/16/2012 Browns @ Giants CBS 1:00 PM

Week 3 Sunday 9/23/2012 Browns @ Cowboys CBS 4:15 PM

Week 4 Thursday 9/27/2012 Ravens @ Browns NFLN 8:20 PM

Week 5 Sunday 10/7/2012 Browns @ Broncos CBS 4:15 PM

Week 6 Sunday 10/14/2012 Chargers @ Browns CBS 1:00 PM

Week 7 Sunday 10/21/2012 Redskins @ Browns FOX 1:00 PM

Week 8 Sunday 10/28/2012 Browns @ Steelers CBS 1:00 PM

Week 9 Monday 11/5/2012 Eagles @ Browns ESPN 8:30 PM

Week 10 BYE

Week 11 Sunday 11/18/2012 Bills @ Browns CBS 1:00 PM

Week 12 Sunday 11/25/2012 Steelers @ Browns CBS 1:00 PM

Week 13 Sunday 12/2/2012 Browns @ Bengals CBS 1:00 PM

Week 14 Sunday 12/9/2012 Browns @ Raiders CBS 4:15 PM

Week 15 Sunday 12/16/2012 Browns @ Colts CBS 1:00 PM

Week 16 Sunday 12/23/2012 Chiefs @ Browns CBS 1:00 PM

Week 17 Sunday 12/30/2012 Browns @ Ravens CBS 1:00 PM

Predict what our record would be if we took each player. I'll start...

Browns with Blackmon: 8-8

Browns with Claiborn: 7-9

Browns with Tannihill: 5-11

What's your call?

It hasn't been confirmed yet that this is the schedule, has it?

with that schedule and considering half our roster will be made up of rookies i'm looking at 4 and 12....again, UNLESS shurmur can learn from last year's mistakes, open up the playbook a little more and the receivers can catch the farking ball and there is a semblence of a running game (richardson or not).

Wouldn't drafting a RB at 4 in a pass happy leauge be thinking outside of the box?

Thats outside the box thinking, but it may be counter productive. Every year the steelers and ravens defenses thump the browns. We need to thump them back. Trade up and take Kalil at #3, then grab another guard with the second first rounder. I don't think trent richardson is going to injure any of the steeler linebackers, but two gigantic tackles and a mammoth guard certainly will. Take the fight to the D

Thats outside the box thinking, but it may be counter productive. Every year the steelers and ravens defenses thump the browns. We need to thump them back. Trade up and take Kalil at #3, then grab another guard with the second first rounder. I don't think trent richardson is going to injure any of the steeler linebackers, but two gigantic tackles and a mammoth guard certainly will. Take the fight to the D

You must have had a Coltcussion yourself. Trade up for Kalil?! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

with that schedule and considering half our roster will be made up of rookies i'm looking at 4 and 12....again, UNLESS shurmur can learn from last year's mistakes, open up the playbook a little more and the receivers can catch the farking ball and there is a semblence of a running game (richardson or not).

With all the yabbering about Colt McCoy, or Peyton Hillis, or our WRs or etc., etc., I am still of the opinion that the weakest part of the Browns organization is with their HC and their offensive coaching staff.

Its one thing to not have the talent....and in some areas the Browns are clearly talent deficient...it is another thing to depress the ability of the talent you have with poor, pathetic coaching.

And that my friends is the main concern about the Cleveland Browns in my eyes.

We can go get Richardson, or Blackmon, or any other WR/RB/RT/QB combination we want.

In the system that Shurmur ran I am not sure that Joe Montana and Jerry Rice could have performed well....

and, theoretically, its supposed to be the same system.

With all the yabbering about Colt McCoy, or Peyton Hillis, or our WRs or etc., etc., I am still of the opinion that the weakest part of the Browns organization is with their HC and their offensive coaching staff.

Its one thing to not have the talent....and in some areas the Browns are clearly talent deficient...it is another thing to depress the ability of the talent you have with poor, pathetic coaching.

We can go get Richardson, or Blackmon, or any other WR/RB/RT/QB combination we want.

In the system that Shurmur ran I am not sure that Joe Montana and Jerry Rice could have performed well....

I didn't care for Shurmur being picked.

I will say, as a fellow coach (not on his level of course) you can only do so much with the talent you have. If your leading a team and fixing internal conflicts and making marginal players good and good players great players in your system. You are doing your job. We had a 1-15 type offense. If he does the above and we improve into an offense capable of more wins than we should have- He's fine in my book. That may not be firm enough for some- but its a reality. That is why I have been preaching the pick won't be Claiborne and we will invest heavily in offense in this draft.

I think this all goes back to Belicheck. We are result oriented organization. We don't look at the process enough. I fear we may be headed down the same road with McCoy by drafting Tannehill. I honestly didn't expect Colt to do well with the environment he had last year.

You must have had a Coltcussion yourself. Trade up for Kalil?! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Im not gonna lie, I've had a few Coltcussions in my time. Still, unless i can get a refund on my william green jersey, I dont want to draft another rb in the first. Maybe we trade #4 pick, move back and take mike adams and the guard from stanford later on. The bears have a bad line, but they get away with it because they have jay cutler. We have a decent line and colt, and its not working out. We need a great line if we are going to win with colt. Stack the o-line again, pick up matt barkley next year, drop him behind that line and avoid a sam bradford situation.

Im not gonna lie, I've had a few Coltcussions in my time. Still, unless i can get a refund on my william green jersey, I dont want to draft another rb in the first. Maybe we trade #4 pick, move back and take mike adams and the guard from stanford later on. The bears have a bad line, but they get away with it because they have jay cutler. We have a decent line and colt, and its not working out. We need a great line if we are going to win with colt. Stack the o-line again, pick up matt barkley next year, drop him behind that line and avoid a sam bradford situation.

I think you are going too far. We need a quality RT- that's it. Let our guards develope and it should easier for them with a Hall of Fame LT a Pro Bowl Center and a 1st round or early 2nd round RT (Pick 22 or 37).

The best assets for a QB: an anchor protecting your blindside, a center who can help make all the line calls, a great back and some experienced WRs. If we were to draft a couple WRs this year- year 2 they should be productive (that position takes a year) and Little will be in year 3.

I didn't care for Shurmur being picked.

I will say, as a fellow coach (not on his level of course) you can only do so much with the talent you have. If your leading a team and fixing internal conflicts and making marginal players good and good players great players in your system. You are doing your job. We had a 1-15 type offense. If he does the above and we improve into an offense capable of more wins than we should have- He's fine in my book.

I think the binder on your book is broken. If he is not fixing internal conflicts? If he is taking great or good players and making them marginal?

In my book, that is what he has done...or at least he has done nothing to exploit the talent he does have on his team. He may have average talent...and making it well below average.

That may not be firm enough for some- but its a reality.

I think what I said is more the reality.

That is why I have been preaching the pick won't be Claiborne and we will invest heavily in offense in this draft.

I think this all goes back to Belicheck. We are result oriented organization. We don't look at the process enough. I fear we may be headed down the same road with McCoy by drafting Tannehill. I honestly didn't expect Colt to do well with the environment he had last year.

Then change the environment...not the implement.

Why would you want to downgrade the QB position from Colt McCoy by picking up Barkley?

That is exactly what it would be.

I think that this team is going to surprise us and a lot of other clubs this year. The Browns have had some very bad luck. We should be due to have some good luck coming to us really soon. The only way a team can have such bad luck year after year and not finally catch a few breaks is if in fact the club is cursed. I don't believe in curses. I believe in good things coming to the patient and deserving. I think that if Cleveland took half the time to be thankful and support this team as some of you negative naysayers have in bashing them, we'd see a huge improvement in the culture of winning. Losing attitudes breeds a losing culture, whining and complaining do nothing to offset this mindset.

If I was the QB of the Browns and had the odds stacked against me and I didn't light it up, I think that I would do much better with a fanbase that said, "Look, we understand, we support you and wish you the best! Go Colt, Go!" As opposed to, "My god Colt, you suck balls, you've got a noodle arm and you're too short short shit McFrye...blah, blah, blah." It does nothing to instill confidence and loyalty, it just makes us look bad as a fanbase...

Look guys, I know that not all of us are like that, but the creakiest wheels get the grease, we as a fanbase have to be louder in our support and not let these finniewinkles spout off at the mouth without spraying real WD40 in there! You're either with us or against us, if you don't like it get out... I'm sure the Steelers could use more bandwagon fans!

What I'm saying is Colt is a good player and let's give him a chance, we don't need to draft Daffidill. We're gonna get a chance to see what Colt is made of this year with an offseason and a team on the same page... with some weapons and a plan. I for one am excited to see what he's got. Browns 4 Life!

What offensive playmaking talent do we have?

An average QB capable of being above average with all the right pieces.

A #1 WR who didn't play his last year as a college WR (sat out a year) and was a converted Running Back.

A RB coming off of a major knee injury playing because the starting RB was a headcase (no fault to Shurmur). The other guy Ogawhatever coming from the practice squad to the starting lineup.

Two young guards

and a RT playing the year hurt and he wasn't good to begin with.

I'd say this had the makings of a 1-15 type offense.

And what conflict did Shurmur create?

What offensive playmaking talent do we have?

An average QB capable of being above average with all the right pieces.

A #1 WR who didn't play his last year as a college WR (sat out a year) and was a converted Running Back.

A RB coming off of a major knee injury playing because the starting RB was a headcase (no fault to Shurmur). The other guy Ogawhatever coming from the practice squad to the starting lineup.

Two young guards

and a RT playing the year hurt and he wasn't good to begin with.

I'd say this had the makings of a 1-15 type offense.

And what conflict did Shurmur create?

You forgot to mention the lockout, which delayed the team being able to put in the work to get acclimated to the new systems that would be put in last year. A new offense, A new defense, a rookie HC with no OC. A new DC. New Special Teams coach... I expect THIS team- THIS year, to be leaps and bounds beyond what went on last year. I expected the worse and hoped for the best as I usually do but I didn't think that we'd be that bad on offense. Now I expect at least, AT LEAST 7-8 wins THIS YEAR... AT LEAST. I'm hoping however, for Trent Richardson and 11 wins... B)

Predict what our record would be if we took each player and team does not change. And is those rookies start-

Browns with Richardson: 4 - 12

Browns with Blackmon: 3 - 12

Browns with Claiborn: 4 - 12

Browns with Tannihill: 1 - 15

What's your call?

I completely agree with you Gipper. Coaching was/is our biggest weakness. I know we don't have loads of talent on this team but we do have some, enough for a decent coach to get us a respectable record. We went from 5-11 to 4-12 with the addition of legit talent from the 2011 draft. Sure the lock out might have affected us negatively but every team had to deal with the lock out. Look what the Bengals did with a 2nd round rookie QB.

I know our WR's didn't have a great year (did you expect them to?) but our offense was handcuffed by Shumur last year with an extremely conservative, predictable gameplan. Do you guys not remember other coaching staffs and those with actual football knowledge being able to predict the exact play we were going to run based on down and formation? Do you remember Colt not being able to call audibles at the line? Those aren't personal problems, those are coaching problems.

I hate using references to war in regards to sports but this one fits too perfectly for the point I'm trying to get across. When facing a superior force (numbers, equipment, ect.) you must rely on tactics in order to stand a chance. Many of the teams we faced last year had superior talent to our own, meaning we had no other choice but to rely on tactics. Instead of attempting to alter our strategy to give ourselves a chance (aka tactics) we stuck with a failing strategy which our opponents were easily able to decipher. That's not the player's fault, its not the front office's fault, it is the coach's fault. We'll never be able to improve if we stick with the same strategy that we used last year. Shumur better be working his ass off this offseason.

I think that this team is going to surprise us and a lot of other clubs this year. The Browns have had some very bad luck. We should be due to have some good luck coming to us really soon. The only way a team can have such bad luck year after year and not finally catch a few breaks is if in fact the club is cursed. I don't believe in curses. I believe in good things coming to the patient and deserving. I think that if Cleveland took half the time to be thankful and support this team as some of you negative naysayers have in bashing them, we'd see a huge improvement in the culture of winning. Losing attitudes breeds a losing culture, whining and complaining do nothing to offset this mindset.

If I was the QB of the Browns and had the odds stacked against me and I didn't light it up, I think that I would do much better with a fanbase that said, "Look, we understand, we support you and wish you the best! Go Colt, Go!" As opposed to, "My god Colt, you suck balls, you've got a noodle arm and you're too short short shit McFrye...blah, blah, blah." It does nothing to instill confidence and loyalty, it just makes us look bad as a fanbase...

Look guys, I know that not all of us are like that, but the creakiest wheels get the grease, we as a fanbase have to be louder in our support and not let these finniewinkles spout off at the mouth without spraying real WD40 in there! You're either with us or against us, if you don't like it get out... I'm sure the Steelers could use more bandwagon fans!

What I'm saying is Colt is a good player and let's give him a chance, we don't need to draft Daffidill. We're gonna get a chance to see what Colt is made of this year with an offseason and a team on the same page... with some weapons and a plan. I for one am excited to see what he's got. Browns 4 Life!

Us supporting Colt means absolutely nothing. Its not the fans job to inspire confidence in the players (and if it is, I'm expecting a pay check.) That is the coach's job. If the players aren't confident then the coaching staff is doing something terribly wrong.

Us supporting Colt means absolutely nothing. Its not the fans job to inspire confidence in the players (and if it is, I'm expecting a pay check.) That is the coach's job. If the players aren't confident then the coaching staff is doing something terribly wrong.

Okay, sure... if that's what you want to believe...

he's not the only one that thinks that way. if colts psyche is so fragile that he looks to fan support for confidence, then he needs a new job. if he's not mentally equipped to deal with off the field adversity/dissent, he certainly doesn't have what it takes to persevere on the field.

this isn't pop-warner....a weak minded individual like you describe has no place on the battlefield.

Archived