THE BROWNS BOARD

Out of the Doghouse 2015?

TexasAg1969

No, not JF as you would have expected from me, but Justin Gilbert. Willie McGinest of NFL Network says that it's the Browns cornerback who really needs to get out, not the obvious choice of JF like everyone else picks. He indicated he had talked to former Jets (And A&M Player) All-Pro corner Aaron Gleen, who currently coaches Gilbert for the Browns, who indicated that Gilbert has all the skills needed to be a great corner, but just needs to get his mental game to match it this year.

Thoughts?

Nice head fake! ;)

Had not realized Aaron Glenn was our CB Coach. Good player at the position for a long time (I'm sure being an Ag is just a coincidence). So if he says Gilbert is close then I tend to believe it.

• 2 weeks later...

So far, he looks to still be struggling......

Which is a shame, because he flashes those skills all the time.....watched him make a nice interception and KO return just the other day....but also watched him with the position groups and he seemed a little less focused than some of the others.....kinda just going through the motions...

Cmon Justin.....own it!!!!

TBH, if Desir turns in to what we're hoping Gilbert would, and Gilbert turns in to what we hoped Desir would, then, great?

Id say ...YEP!

We needed CB's and drafted 3......if 2 turn out to be great, then I am a happy happy man......

Id say ...YEP!

We needed CB's and drafted 3......if 2 turn out to be great, then I am a happy happy man......

Yeah, exactly what I was thinking too-Williams is already off to a great start and Desir is turning heads. The strategy last year was go for talent and not character in the 1st round and it looks like we are eating that mistake hard. But hey, gotta give to Farmer for some of those late round picks though so far. It seems from the stuff I'm reading Gilbert just doesn't look as good out there as the other guys.

i think gilbert has all the talent in the world to make it but sometimes the jelly inside one's head doesn't turn on until there is some type of 'break'. maybe it's an intercept for a TD or a KO return to the house.

his biggest problem now is himself. if he can get over himself then i think we'll have a winner.

i think gilbert has all the talent in the world to make it but sometimes the jelly inside one's head doesn't turn on until there is some type of 'break'. maybe it's an intercept for a TD or a KO return to the house.

his biggest problem now is himself. if he can get over himself then i think we'll have a winner.

I don't know dude. Seems like his mind ain't right to play in the NFL.

I've been critical of Gilbert but would like to see him succeed. What we saw last year wasn't a lack of speed or size but the inability to be in the correct position. I hope he can clean that up but we'll see. I'll continue to sound like a broken record but if you want to make the DBs look better, get to the friggin' QB.

Gilbert talk just gives me one huge headache, but so did watching B. Skrine his first couple years with us. Now Skrine is worth what $$ ??? 1 Year of family issues and lost camp time. This camp family has cost him time again , pouts on his poor play. Guys in 1 year the poor play out weighs the good at this point with Williams now a Brown. Skrine when he finally got it, we watched 1 good year than he's gone. If putting Gilbert on punt returns can get his head back in the game at CB, and cover, than legally cover somebody am all in. But if Desir is the better cover man in the coaches eyes I got no questions on Gilbert and he should question himself. Pouting and other issues don't work in this league but the next play does. Gilbert Preseason- Show me wrong again..

the desir story is something movies are made of. i'm pulling for both these kids (as well as every other one on our roster). just keep the friggin injury bug away and i think the browns will surprise EVERYONE.

the desir story is something movies are made of. i'm pulling for both these kids (as well as every other one on our roster). just keep the friggin injury bug away and i think the browns will surprise EVERYONE.

No bug and at least avg QB play and I think we definitely surprise

As much as I love Gilberts obvious skill set, I shutter a little every time I hear him talk.....something is just not right with this guy....

I saw some of what I think bothers you... seemed to lack any spark early, but he was answering MKC "areyougoingtosuckasbadthisyear" questions.

Then spark came with question about Tabor and getting to return this year.

Then gone again with MKC's second round...

Two things he said bothered me:

1. The weight... should have added some muscle by now.

2. Q: Is it still your goal to start this year? A: We'll see what happens.

Make that three or four:

3. Kick offs, but not punts?

4. Motivation?

I saw some of what I think bothers you... seemed to lack any spark early, but he was answering MKC "areyougoingtosuckasbadthisyear" questions.

Then spark came with question about Tabor and getting to return this year.

Then gone again with MKC's second round...

Two things he said bothered me:

1. The weight... should have added some muscle by now.

2. Q: Is it still your goal to start this year? A: We'll see what happens.

Make that three or four:

3. Kick offs, but not punts?

4. Motivation?

"Well see what happens"?!?!??......THAT one knocked me outta my chair.....she asked about "goals" buddy....

And, yep.....seems happy about returning kick offs(which is good).....but a huge NO on the punt thing.....ok.....skeered?

Seemed only to be repeating what he must be hearing from the coaches....which is basically "show us you want to be here"...

Hoping his level of enthusiasm isnt contagious....

"Well see what happens"?!?!??......THAT one knocked me outta my chair.....she asked about "goals" buddy....

And, yep.....seems happy about returning kick offs(which is good).....but a huge NO on the punt thing.....ok.....skeered?

Seemed only to be repeating what he must be hearing from the coaches....which is basically "show us you want to be here"...

Hoping his level of enthusiasm isnt contagious....

you can just feel the level of arrogance in that dude which it's clear hasn't changed. Ya know, arrogance isn't necessarily a bad thing in the NFL if you play at a elite level. Say what you will about say Dez Bryant but that dude at least backs up his words. If this dude doesn't get humbled in a hurry he can enjoy his rookie contract cause it'll be the last one he gets. Good on this club though for not caving into that crap.

you can just feel the level of arrogance in that dude which it's clear hasn't changed.

I'm not getting "arrogance" so much as I am "numbness"... at least that what I get when it's not being obscured by annoyance.

Gotta be catching the ball on punts because to a man of his size and gifts, I'd think the broken field often presented on a punt return would have to be preferable to the wall he'd see returning kicks.

Kickoffs any more is 1.watching it go over your head, touchback. Or 2. having to make a good decision on bringing it out 8 yards deep. After watching video, god I hope he can catch a punt or the leader of the depth chart is benji if we keep him around and next is Poyer and that's like watching Jim Leonard catch fair catch's all over again. Yawn. Yawn. beer run to fridge could start at a kicking formation, let me know what I miss.

Kickoffs any more is 1.watching it go over your head, touchback. Or 2. having to make a good decision on bringing it out 8 yards deep. After watching video, god I hope he can catch a punt or the leader of the depth chart is benji if we keep him around and next is Poyer and that's like watching Jim Leonard catch fair catch's all over again. Yawn. Yawn. beer run to fridge could start at a kicking formation, let me know what I miss.

Word is that Benji is looking much improved......live action will tell soon enough.....

I'm not getting "arrogance" so much as I am "numbness"... at least that what I get when it's not being obscured by annoyance.

I think we are on the same page, it just seems like the guy is still going through the motions (and that's what some people are reporting too). It seems like he still thinks his high draft status and athletic ability will get him by when it's clear it won't.

I think we are on the same page, it just seems like the guy is still going through the motions (and that's what some people are reporting too). It seems like he still thinks his high draft status and athletic ability will get him by when it's clear it won't.

Well if anyone can turn him around it would be Aaron Glenn, undersized corner who performed at all-pro level because his head was always in the game. And he never pouted a second when beat. Just got ready to make a great play the next time it came his way.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/05/justin-gilbert-looking-like-another-browns-bust/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Justin Gilbert looking like another Browns bust

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 5, 2015, 12:41 PM EDT

Great attention has been paid to Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel, a 2014 first-round pick who was a major disappointment as a rookie and isn’t expected to start this year. But Manziel may not have been the biggest bust of the Browns’ 2014 draft class.
That honor could go instead to cornerback Justin Gilbert, who was chosen eighth overall last year (14 spots ahead of Manziel) and has also been a huge disappointment.
Gilbert spent most of his time on the bench last year amid talk that he wasn’t working hard enough in practice and hadn’t earned the respect of veteran teammates. He was deactivated for Week 17 because he showed up late to a team meeting.
This year in training camp, Gilbert is buried on the depth chart: Even when starting cornerbacks Tramon Williams and Joe Haden were given off days, Gilbert didn’t get first-string reps, according to ESPNCleveland.com. Pierre Desier, a fourth-round pick last year, is the cornerback moving onto the first team when the veteran starters are out of practice.
Asked if his goal is to earn a starting job, Gilbert answered, “We’ll see what happens.”
What it appears will happen is that Gilbert will remain a backup who doesn’t get much playing time. That was clearly not the plan when the Browns used a Top 10 pick on Gilbert. It’s looking like Gilbert will go down as another Browns bust.

more fluff from the media who have nothing else to write about. if by year's end he hasn't shown improvement and has an attitude problem, THEN i'll concede he was a wasted pick but these reports are a week into TC and they are already burying people or lifting them to demi-god status. they know jack shit.

Kickoffs any more is 1.watching it go over your head, touchback.

Thus the wisdom of spending a 1st round on a returner... :)

I think we are on the same page...

Yeah... a page called disappointed. :(

Well if anyone can turn him around it would be Aaron Glenn, undersized corner who performed at all-pro level because his head was always in the game.

I thought it would have been because he's a former student... :P

I think that catches me up on my emoticon quota...

more fluff from the media who have nothing else to write about. if by year's end he hasn't shown improvement and has an attitude problem, THEN i'll concede he was a wasted pick but these reports are a week into TC and they are already burying people or lifting them to demi-god status. they know jack shit.

Sure, but the interview quote is real and perplexing...

Where's the fire?

It's as if the kid does not know that Mudfly's rep is at stake here...

Archived