THE BROWNS BOARD

Ohio: The bandwagon state

StinkHole

The next time you get upset at the dude in Steeler gear, remember that you only have yourselves to blame.

Below is a gif illustrating the difference one year makes when there are signs that good things are ahead for the Browns and Bengals.

In 2013 Steeler fans swallowed up half of Ohio. Notice the expansion of bengals and browns fans and the recession of Steeler fans in 2014.

Especially Bengal fans.

Bunch of bandwagon jumpers you are :)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2014/09/09/how-americas-favorite-nfl-teams-have-changed-in-a-year/

2irp0mf.gif

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The next time you get upset at the dude in Steeler gear, remember that you only have yourselves to blame.

Below is a gif illustrating the difference one year makes when there are signs that good things are ahead for the Browns and Bengals.

In 2013 Steeler fans swallowed up half of Ohio. Notice the expansion of bengals and browns fans and the recession of Steeler fans in 2014.

Especially Bengal fans.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2014/09/09/how-americas-favorite-nfl-teams-have-changed-in-a-year/

No, that would be the Bandwagon Steelers fans falling off the bus. The Steelers have 14 lousy seasons, your fan base will shrink to Allegheny County or so.

uggh. what an awful example of nothing using a lousy looking animated .gif that your pa coulda come up with.

and where is he?

get lost.

i got a six pack says the browns finish better than the steelers.

Especially Bengal fans.

2irp0mf.gif

Yes, as said above.....it shows more about what bandwagon jumpers Steeler fans are....jumpin OFF the bandwagon than it says anything about Browns fans.

(First off I wish there was a way to stop it from moving so that we could get a better look at it.....plus it may use similar colors for different teams....it provides no code to refer to)

But...from what I gather......a whole swath of FRAKs have now jumped off the Steeler bandwagon in Ohio, the Carolinas, Oregon, New York, Nevada...even PA

(again, unless some of those colors refer to other teams....it seems they use yellow for both Steelers and Chargers)

Perhaps not so much 'bandwagon' as might be the Brownies trying to build our fanbase in the Columbus area. It's well known that Cleveland and Northeast Ohio is a bastion of tOSU football support. In C-bus, its not so much the other way around with Cleveland teams.

It also seems that in looking at it that a lot of "Cowboy" territory has retrenched.

The biggest FRAK magnet team actually seems to be the Seahawks. They seem to have taken over Idaho from the Cowboys, Oregon from the Raiders and Cowboys, and Alaska from the Packers and Broncos.

The Raiders have retrenched as well...they used to own parts of Nevada, Oregon and NoCal. Now they really seem to be LAs team exclusively.....it shows they never actually held sway even in the East Bay areas.

The Broncos seem to have taken over all of Utah....and Northern New Mexico, wresting it from the Cowboys.

They also seem to have taken over Nebraska...Cowboys lose out there as well. (not sure why they would have been there in the first place.)

And the Cardinals have taken over all of Arizona...entrenching again on what was a Cowboy area.

And what is that big spotch of disappearing blue in souther Virginia....was that Cowboy blue or Giant blue.

That is why I wish we could see a bit more detail.

And actually the OP putz is wrong about the Bengals.....far more Ohio counties "turned" in favor of the Browns than they did for the Bengals.

If anything, it is in Kentucky where the Bengals made inroads into former "Steeler territory".

The question for all of the certainly is Why?

Why is central Ohio now Browns over Steelers

Why is some of SE Ohio/KY Bengals over Steelers?

Why did the Steelers lose the Carolinas so much? Why did they have so much support there anyway....is that where all the people that fled Pittsburgh went to?

I pretty much only see Columbus changing on that map.....and anyone who's up to speed would know that Columbus and the Browns are doing a little dance right now....Columbus is whooing the Browns to come down there for TC and the Browns have recently been marketing heavily in that area...including just hosting their Fan Fest in the shoe.....so to me, that map only indicates the Browns marketing efforts are working.....

I pretty much only see Columbus changing on that map.....and anyone who's up to speed would know that Columbus and the Browns are doing a little dance right now....Columbus is whooing the Browns to come down there for TC and the Browns have recently been marketing heavily in that area...including just hosting their Fan Fest in the shoe.....so to me, that map only indicates the Browns marketing efforts are working.....

It looks like it is more than Columbus. There are counties southeast of Columbus and in the Northwest part of the state that have turned back to where they belong.

Again, to me, it seems that the FRAKs in some of those areas have lost faith in the Steelers. Why? Not sure. Because they want to get an early jump....either off the Steelers or onto the Browns bandwagons?

Can it really be that "marketing" has the much affect on person's loyalties in those areas?

posted this on another thread, but here it is again....

Browns sell out every game while they are bad.....stoolers cant fill the stadium when they're good.....hmmmm

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24775640/goodell-talks-to-steelers-owner-about-fan-no-show-problem-at-home-games

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the link at the end of your article show that the Steelers have a higher home attendance percentage than the Browns?

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the link at the end of your article show that the Steelers have a higher home attendance percentage than the Browns?

It shows a higher percentage for PIT, but not sure how after it shows CLE with higher numbers for year totals and avg per game

I don't know. I have seen mostly where the Browns had a better show rate.

But, even if this is correct......your team with it 3 Super Bowl appearances in the last decade and multiple division titles in that time may have an ever so slight edge in this regard over a team that has had one single playoff appearance in over 20 years.

And, as noted...if yinz had our record Ketchup Stadium would just be a home for crickets likely.

WTF??? Yes, bandwagon Steeler fans that are Ohio residents....your people.

Yes, yes....no doubt...fucking asshole idiots, admittedly.

And when fortunes are reduced and all the asswipes FRAKs in like Beaver, Lawrence, Mercer, Crawford and Erie counties profess to be Browns fans.....we can call a spade a spade then and say they are bandwagon Browns fans....your people.

(and they would in fact do that...between Browns and Bills fans there are probably more of those in Erie Co. right now.....its just that the Steelers likely have a plurality).

I don't know. I have seen mostly where the Browns had a better show rate.

But, even if this is correct......your team with it 3 Super Bowl appearances in the last decade and multiple division titles in that time may have an ever so slight edge in this regard over a team that has had one single playoff appearance in over 20 years.

And, as noted...if yinz had our record Ketchup Stadium would just be a home for crickets likely.

Again, if frogs had wings. Seriously though, I think NFL Sunday ticket and 60" tv's have something to do with attendance in every stadium. I know for me to go to a game I have to drive two and a half hours and spend about $300 minimum. I did it for 4 years when I had tickets. It's easier to sit in my recliner and rewind everything I miss or want to see again. I don't live in Pitt so I can't speak for local fans where the cost would be less. Another thing that I'm sure applies to every team is the cost of aftermarket tickets. Never looked at Browns games but if I get a bug up my ass on a Tuesday to go to a game on Sunday and I check on line the cost of tickets people are selling is pretty prohibitive.

Again, if frogs had wings. Seriously though, I think NFL Sunday ticket and 60" tv's have something to do with attendance in every stadium. I know for me to go to a game I have to drive two and a half hours and spend about $300 minimum. I did it for 4 years when I had tickets. It's easier to sit in my recliner and rewind everything I miss or want to see again. I don't live in Pitt so I can't speak for local fans where the cost would be less. Another thing that I'm sure applies to every team is the cost of aftermarket tickets. Never looked at Browns games but if I get a bug up my ass on a Tuesday to go to a game on Sunday and I check on line the cost of tickets people are selling is pretty prohibitive.

OK, sure....all true.

Yes, yes....no doubt...fucking asshole idiots, admittedly.

And when fortunes are reduced and all the asswipes FRAKs in like Beaver, Lawrence, Mercer, Crawford and Erie counties profess to be Browns fans.....we can call a spade a spade then and say they are bandwagon Browns fans....your people.

(and they would in fact do that...between Browns and Bills fans there are probably more of those in Erie Co. right now.....its just that the Steelers likely have a plurality).

You really hate people that don't follow your fandom criteria. Strange. I can see a little ribbing (it is just entertainment) but you have a serious issue. Did someone pee in your Wheaties?

You really hate people that don't follow your fandom criteria. Strange. I can see a little ribbing (it is just entertainment) but you have a serious issue. Did someone pee in your Wheaties?

So....you value loyalty so little that you think it is OK for someone to willy nilly bandwagon jump from team to team based on the mere fortune or misfortunes of winning or losing some games?

Yes....to an extent the serious part of this is how younger generations lack the character to be and stay loyal to a team when times are rough. I do believe it may say something about their greater character.

To take it to a maybe not too absurd extreme, you could correlate people with that character to the collaborators or Quislings of WWII. Sure, it sounds absurd....but when faced with hardship, those people jumped their loyalties...why not the same with the FRAKS?

I mean....take your next door neighbor...or your nephew...or some such. If the Steelers had a couple of bad seasons and the Browns had some good seasons, would you feel it is OK for them to announce "ya know, the Steelers are lousy....I am now going to be a Browns...or a Ravens fans"

I would certainly hope that would not sit well with you.

Also....I still never got an explanation on how the Steelers were apparently so popular in the Carolinas....and why they are now losing that popularity?

I can see the latter half being primarily explained by the presence....and somewhat success of the local Carolina Panther team...but what about the former question?

I am not ragging on anyone....I just would like to figure it out.

So....you value loyalty so little that you think it is OK for someone to willy nilly bandwagon jump from team to team based on the mere fortune or misfortunes of winning or losing some games?

Yes....to an extent the serious part of this is how younger generations lack the character to be and stay loyal to a team when times are rough. I do believe it may say something about their greater character.

To take it to a maybe not too absurd extreme, you could correlate people with that character to the collaborators or Quislings of WWII. Sure, it sounds absurd....but when faced with hardship, those people jumped their loyalties...why not the same with the FRAKS?

I mean....take your next door neighbor...or your nephew...or some such. If the Steelers had a couple of bad seasons and the Browns had some good seasons, would you feel it is OK for them to announce "ya know, the Steelers are lousy....I am now going to be a Browns...or a Ravens fans"

I would certainly hope that would not sit well with you.

Loyalty? We're talking about who you want to win in a football game on Sunday. You take it too personally. I could care less who you root for or why. It doesn't affect me. That's all I'm saying. It's just a sport, who someone's favorite team is doesn't matter to me. I don't measure someone's character by it that's for sure.

Also....I still never got an explanation on how the Steelers were apparently so popular in the Carolinas....and why they are now losing that popularity?

I can see the latter half being primarily explained by the presence....and somewhat success of the local Carolina Panther team...but what about the former question?

I am not ragging on anyone....I just would like to figure it out.

I have no idea why the Steelers are or aren't popular in the Carolinas. Been to Myrtle Beach a few times and seen Steeler bars there. Who knows? They are a popular team. When the Browns win the division a few times and maybe a Super Bowl they'll gain popularity. It only makes sense. Look at table 3 in this poll. Can you make any correlation between winning and popularity?

http://www.harrisinteractive.com/NewsRoom/HarrisPolls/tabid/447/ctl/ReadCustom%20Default/mid/1508/ArticleId/1506/Default.aspx

You assume everyone has the same interest in football that you do. There are many more passive football fans than people who sit on message boards all day debating why there are people in the Carolinas who like the Steelers instead of the Browns. To demonize a 15 year old kid in Youngstown who can't relate to his grandfather that habitually kicks his dog every Sunday at 4:00 after watching 3 hours of mostly crappy football and chooses to root for the Steelers is a little over the top don't you think? He's a "asshole idiot"? Context my friend.

Loyalty? We're talking about who you want to win in a football game on Sunday.

Yes, Loyalty.

\

You take it too personally.

Not really.....again, I think it exhibits a lack of character to be a person whose loyalty can be purchased by a few wins.

I could care less who you root for or why. It doesn't affect me. That's all I'm saying.

I don't care who you root for either....but I would not want you to be such a namby pamby ass that something as important as your loyalty is for sale.

It's just a sport, who someone's favorite team is doesn't matter to me. I don't measure someone's character by it that's for sure.

Again....its not the "Who" they root for that is important......I hate the Steelers, but I respect someone who would in fact be a loyal Steeler fan through thick and thin.....maybe you are one of those.

I do NOT respect a Steeler fans who would be loyal through the thick, but not the thin. OK, so we know that someone like that is a whore....we just have to figure out what their price is.

You assume everyone has the same interest in football that you do. There are many more passive football fans than people who sit on message boards all day debating why there are people in the Carolinas who like the Steelers instead of the Browns. To demonize a 15 year old kid in Youngstown who can't relate to his grandfather that habitually kicks his dog every Sunday at 4:00 after watching 3 hours of mostly crappy football and chooses to root for the Steelers is a little over the top don't you think? He's a "asshole idiot"? Context my friend.

I would expect that kid to to not have respect for his grandfather for kicking the dog, no matter who the grandpa roots for. If the Grandfather is committing animal cruelty I would hope the kid would call him on it.

But That has nothing to do with football.

But yes....I would say that the kid IS an asshole if he says to himself "my grandad kicks my dog, my grandad is a Browns fan....ergo I will be a Steeler fan".

That would be stupid as shit.

If his Dad was a Steeler fan and kicked the dog.... would I expect him to be a Browns fan? No.

I would expect that because he is from Youngstown....not because his grandpa is an asshole.

I have no idea why the Steelers are or aren't popular in the Carolinas. Been to Myrtle Beach a few times and seen Steeler bars there. Who knows? They are a popular team. When the Browns win the division a few times and maybe a Super Bowl they'll gain popularity. It only makes sense. Look at table 3 in this poll. Can you make any correlation between winning and popularity?

http://www.harrisinteractive.com/NewsRoom/HarrisPolls/tabid/447/ctl/ReadCustom%20Default/mid/1508/ArticleId/1506/Default.aspx

I have no doubt that there is a correlation between winning and popularity.

Also, being from a very large market should help.

Face it, there are 20+million people in the NYC area.....that would be 10 mill each for their two teams.

Cleveland/Pittsburgh only have 2.5-3 mill in their area. That means there is 3-4 times the base from which the NYC fans attract than there is for the Browns/Steelers.

But clearly winning helps with the FRAK factor.

Do you think the Steelers would be popular if they continued the losing ways of Art Rooney and did not enjoy the winning ways or Dan Rooney? No

Archived