THE BROWNS BOARD

Flip's Five-point Plan

Tour2ma

Good little read on the thinking of our new OC.

Very level headed stuff... Most interesting to me:

4) There will be more team meetings

When he begins to install the offense at OTAs in April, DeFilippo said almost everything will be done together as an entire unit to avoid misinterpretations. There will be team bonding. There will be pop quizzes. There will be one unit in unison.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/5-staples-of-the-Browns-offense-under-John-DeFilippo/1bc8f104-c190-412a-810f-e6acd4a8aa5f

I read this the other day, glad you posted it (me no skills). Last year, I wanted D. Carr and watched him a lot. I don't know but it looked like Flip used the Big Ben theory when Ben was a Rookie, Ben would check down to his safest TE or RB open. Glad to read that with this O-line he can see that Backs and TE screens will work.( So tired of watching them, work against us) Can't fix the RB hands(their going nowhere) But at TE, who can hold Blocks down field and can get off a block to get open?? J. Thomas/Cameron both high FA with injury's starting to pile, But Thomas at the past Cam deal is doable but can he Block?? Dray may be aging, but we will see, but I know he can block and get open, then catch. Barney?? What do you got on a Blocking TE's?? Not much in blocking skills was reviled at Combine at TE. Thanks.

What I got from that read is that we will use a lot of 21 personnel with Flip having a Y and an F tag for TE.

Also it makes sense to get Casey because he's more of a pass catcher at TE and from the backfield. Our version of Reece. Even more reason I'd like Heurman now because of his work in the backfield.

Overall I'm liking Flip more everyday.

Flip talks about how impressed he was with the amount of all star cast of qb and wr coaching candidates who wanted to come to Cleveland. This again flies in the face of the sports talking heads of the "toxic" situation in Cleveland where nobody wants to come here. I see things opposite that many see what Pettine is building in Cleveland and want to come.

I can see why Pettine liked Flip as OC from the start and why they almost went with Flip last season but Shannahan won out because of having more NFL experience. Obviously more NFL experience isn't everything.

Agree... getting the feeling that Flip's personality/ energy is a little on the "infectious" side.

Also it makes sense to get Casey because he's more of a pass catcher at TE and from the backfield. Our version of Reece. Even more reason I'd like Heurman now because of his work in the backfield.

Or maybe Funchess?

Two others that may fill the bill on the cheap: Pruitt (Southern Illinois) and Saxton (S. Alabama).

I'm excited to see who they hopefully bring in through the draft as a TE prospect. There's no elite talent (Maxx Williams has his flaws) but loads of middle round guys who have great upside. It seems Flip realizes that this type of position is a need, not a want.

Agree... getting the feeling that Flip's personality/ energy is a little on the "infectious" side.

Or maybe Funchess?

Two others that may fill the bill on the cheap: Pruitt (Southern Illinois) and Saxton (S. Alabama).

I think the key in a pass offense is to actually get separation and catch the pass.

Archived