THE BROWNS BOARD

Grade the following WR scenario

Frenchie

OSU homerism aside, I am not sure why people want Tedd Ginn....

I agree. He has done nothing in his career to get me excited. I put Gilbert as the returner if he can't help us at corner.

I also think Benji and Gabriel can stretch a field as well as Teddy. The problem they have had is they haven't had a QB who could hit them on any regular basis. It does no good to stretch the field and gain a few steps if the QB is going to lob it up there and make the receiver wait for it to get to him. It doesn't take much of a wait before the defender is going to be back in the play.

I agree. He has done nothing in his career to get me excited. I put Gilbert as the returner if he can't help us at corner.

I also think Benji and Gabriel can stretch a field as well as Teddy. The problem they have had is they haven't had a QB who could hit them on any regular basis. It does no good to stretch the field and gain a few steps if the QB is going to lob it up there and make the receiver wait for it to get to him. It doesn't take much of a wait before the defender is going to be back in the play.

Good point... I loved Hoyer but god there were times that Benji and Gabriel were open behind the defense and had to wait for his pass to get there when more arm would've let them stay ahead of the defense. Saw one first hand with a great angle at the Ravens game, I believe to Benjamin who was 5 yards behind the defense but had to wait for the ball.

On the speed of our 2014 corps... IMO it was more than adequate.

That's why I said "heading into pre-season"

While I did miss this... it does not change my answer. Not all would make the active roster and none of the 8 on the list can make it to the PS.

The WR group does not need to be upgraded, period.

OL and QB and DL are the key to success.

Then - and only then - does a WR add anything substantive.

I disagree. The WR group does need an upgrade. The difference we find with our opinions is on when and where in the draft that should occur.

It truly depends on where players are available. I don't think anyone would argue with taking an Amari Cooper or White at 19 should we land Shelton or Brown at 12.

I'd bet the farm that dream never comes true, but its simply an example.

Now say we were to get Shelton.... and Devante Parker is available at 19?

Would Parker at 19 make as much or more of an impact as opposed to say accepting a trade down into the 20's, taking a "lesser" receiver and banking another pick?

That's when we see the split in this group and our philosophy. I don't think anyone believes that having Hawkins as our #1 receiver is sufficient. Lets be honest, if this

offense wants to be great one day, it isn't. Again, it really depends on when and where and whom.

The WR group does not need to be upgraded, period.

OL and QB and DL are the key to success.

Then - and only then - does a WR add anything substantive.

Beating your opponents is the key to success and it's the only key to success.

There is no one way to do it. If that were the case, every team would follow that strategy.

This WR group does need to be upgraded. Our DL does need to be upgraded. Our QB does need to be upgraded. Our OL...eh... probably not. I have a feeling Bowie will beat out Schwartz and we'll find a decent RG mid-round prospect.

Agree... OL depth needs upgrading... especially in the middle. We don't need to spend high picks to upgrade depth by moving a starter to a back up role.

t nailed it as far as I am concerned. There are WRs a the top of the draft that would upgrade our WR corps immensely. Names no one would object to so long as other, top shelf players are not passed over tab that trophy WR.

But Day 2 offers upgrade potential as well at WR... long after the high-impact, front 7 are long gone.

FA class just took an expected shot with Dez and DT both getting tagged......

Which leaves only T. Smith and Cobb as the 2 - #1 starter types and neither really is a #1....or ideal for our needs ftm....though Id take Smith as a good alternate if we dont sign Miles

FA class just took an expected shot with Dez and DT both getting tagged......

Which leaves only T. Smith and Cobb as the 2 - #1 starter types and neither really is a #1....or ideal for our needs ftm....though Id take Smith as a good alternate if we dont sign Miles

T. Smith outside WR. Randall Cobb Slot WR. Slot WR not as big of a issue with what we have at slot. Deep Ball Outside WR we scare No one. That leaves T. Smith that Balt. will re-sign somehow cause S. Smith is there slot and Best slot man in the business. Hate to say it but 12,19 or 43 maybe Outside WR, With upside that he can start. S. Watkins sure would have been nice about now.. But we got there pick at 19..

The Houston Chronicle's John McClain reports the Texans have given Andre Johnson permission to seek a trade, and if one can't be found, he'll be released.

The Texans informed Johnson that he'll have a reduced role in 2015, and the soon-to-be 34-year-old has asked to be cut or traded. Houston will grant him his wish. We highly doubt any team will trade for Johnson, considering he's scheduled to earn base salaries of $10.5 million and $11 million the final two years of his contract. The Texans will clear $8.825 million against the cap by shedding Johnson's contract. The move will lock DeAndre Hopkins into the clear-cut No. 1 receiver role after he took another leap forward as a sophomore in 2014.

How bout andre johnson?

Archived