THE BROWNS BOARD

EJ Manuel likely to be cut by Bills (rumor)

Script Ohio

Per a team insider on their message board. This poster has nailed info in the past that no one else had claiming he/she gets texts from the GM. He will be cut right before free agency starts according to the source. Browns could be interested? DeFelippo and O'Connell would be great coaches for a young QB like that who looks to be getting an extremely raw deal in Buffalo. Appears they want Mccown to start abc will pick up another FA as backup rather than continue to coach Manuel.

He would also be a great influence on Manziel from a work ethic standpoint.

The info is at http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/176133-josh-mccown-anybody-update-talking-contract-22615/page-31

Great influence on Manziel from a work ethic standpoint?

No one worked harder than Hoyer, and that never influenced Johhny.

And if Manuel is a great work ethic guy, and he is getting cut in two years for the likes of Josh McCown, he must flatout suck.

Never struck me as a real smart guy either, on the football field, lots of no-excuse Weedenesque interceptions.

Z

So if he has a great work ethic and takes care of the ball so well ... why is he being cut after 14 Nfl starts?

Zombo

He's probably not going to be cut. If anything, they'll try and trade him for peanuts.

256 - 437 | 58.6% | 2,810 yards | 16 TD | 12 Int | 78.5 Rating

299 - 534 | 56 % | 3,941 yards | 17 TD | 16 Int | 77.6 Rating

One of the above is Manuel, the other is Hoyer (in Cleveland). Their stats are remarkably similar. However, Manuel is 6'5", 237 lbs., runs a 4.55, 40, and is 6 years younger than Hoyer. Manuel could come in and challenge Manziel for the starting spot without us having to break the bank on a FA nor having to trade up for one of the top guys in the draft. We could take a mid-late round prospect for development and then let Manziel and Manuel battle it out in camp.

If Manuel wins, it's pretty clear that Manziel is useless to us and we can then ship him off either this year or in the next offseason. Manuel could get a full season under his belt and then, if we don't like what we see, we may be in position to take Cardale Jones next season.

If Manziel wins, he gets his shot to prove that he was worth the pick. If he ends up bombing throughout the season, bench him for Manuel and then refer to the above scenario.

I've read (and written) worse ideas here...

The concern I would have is EJ's recklessness. I'd like whichever vet QB we sign to be dependable.

I can't believe they would give up on him this soon.

The "they" has changed. Plus nothing Rexy does should come as a surprise. In this case carryover from his experience with Geno might be a factor.

He's probably not going to be cut. If anything, they'll try and trade him for peanuts.

256 - 437 | 58.6% | 2,810 yards | 16 TD | 12 Int | 78.5 Rating

299 - 534 | 56 % | 3,941 yards | 17 TD | 16 Int | 77.6 Rating

One of the above is Manuel, the other is Hoyer (in Cleveland). Their stats are remarkably similar. However, Manuel is 6'5", 237 lbs., runs a 4.55, 40, and is 6 years younger than Hoyer. Manuel could come in and challenge Manziel for the starting spot without us having to break the bank on a FA nor having to trade up for one of the top guys in the draft. We could take a mid-late round prospect for development and then let Manziel and Manuel battle it out in camp.

If Manuel wins, it's pretty clear that Manziel is useless to us and we can then ship him off either this year or in the next offseason. Manuel could get a full season under his belt and then, if we don't like what we see, we may be in position to take Cardale Jones next season.

If Manziel wins, he gets his shot to prove that he was worth the pick. If he ends up bombing throughout the season, bench him for Manuel and then refer to the above scenario.

Yeah, Im OK with that thinking.

Just not sure that they would really cut him on a rookie contract where he has probably already gotten most of the guaranteed money and all they have at qb is this 37 year old career backup who went 1-10 last year.

Im ok with Browns getting Manuel ... Im not sure why the new guys in Buff wouldnt keep him around this year though.

Z

Why, exactly, would we want Manuel?

He had Watkins all of last season... so he has already experienced 100% of the theorized "bump" that Hoyer would get if Hoyer was to throw to a 1st round WR. And even with that bump, Manuel still sucks.

Manuel is living proof that a top WR does not make an avg QB look good.

The only time i want Manuel wearing a Browns jersey is while he's getting sacked by Kruger.

I wouldn't be opposed to it for a later round pick or if he's outright cut.

The two things that intrigue me the most are that -

1) We would still be able to effectively execute the bootleg and the rollout passing game.

2) Manuel has enough athletic ability you can still toss in the occasion read veer/option that Johnny would have been doing.

Not buying that rumor.

If it does come true, I'd be first in line to get him. I liked Manuel coming out of college... not 1st round, top 20, first-day starter liked... but I thought with the right squad and come coaching he could be special. Now, I think he could be a perfect fit for our team as long as we can support him with a strong running game and a couple reliable weapons at WR/TE... I guess the same could be said about any available QB, but EJ would have the best measurables and probably the highest ceiling...

Yeah, Im OK with that thinking.

Just not sure that they would really cut him on a rookie contract where he has probably already gotten most of the guaranteed money and all they have at qb is this 37 year old career backup who went 1-10 last year.

Im ok with Browns getting Manuel ... Im not sure why the new guys in Buff wouldnt keep him around this year though.

Z

I don't think they'd cut him either. I think Ryan will keep him for evaluation.

Why, exactly, would we want Manuel?

He had Watkins all of last season... so he has already experienced 100% of the theorized "bump" that Hoyer would get if Hoyer was to throw to a 1st round WR. And even with that bump, Manuel still sucks.

Manuel is living proof that a top WR does not make an avg QB look good.

The only time i want Manuel wearing a Browns jersey is while he's getting sacked by Kruger.

We'd want Manuel because he's probably a shitload more affordable than any of the FA QB's, he's younger, and there's still the off-chance that he has untapped potential.

This theorized bump is overplayed. A good WR can only make an average QB reach his ceiling, just as a good QB can only make an average WR reach his ceiling. I can throw a receiver open but it's up to him to catch it. I can run perfect routes and be wide open but I can't make the QB throw an accurate pass.

Manuel was flat out garbage last season. A dumpster fire of a QB. But he has everything you'd want in terms of physical attributes. I'd personally rather take a risk on a young, prototypical NFL QB who's only played on one team in his short career than a journeyman veteran who's never stuck anywhere.

We're not finding a Tom Brady franchise-type QB in FA. That's just not going to happen. So our options are:

-trade up for Winston (unlikely)

-trade up for Mariota (slightly more likely)

-resign Hoyer (unlikely)

-sign a journeyman FA

-trade for Sam Bradford (unlikely)

-trade for Nick Foles

-hand the reigns to Manziel

-draft a second day QB like Petty or Hundley and have him battle with Manziel

-draft a second day QB like Petty or Hundley and have him develop behind Manziel/FA journeyman

I say fuck it, let's offer a Manziel-Manuel trade. Greg Roman has experience with mobile QB's, so it's not outside the realm of reason.

If they were the only two QB's available, which would you rather have? Would you rather have the big, strong, less accurate first round bust or the small, improvisational, possible game changing first round bust? There's no wrong answer, it's just a matter of preference for your offensive system.

Actually if Johnny Manziel lost that competition it would mean a lot less then you might think.

Brandon Weeden beat out Jason Campbell and Brian Hoyer in camp.

WSS

It meant that we had to draft Johnny Manziel. If Manziel can't beat out Manuel, then we'll likely be looking at yet another first round quarterback.

It meant that we had to draft Johnny Manziel. If Manziel can't beat out Manuel, then we'll likely be looking at yet another first round quarterback.

That could be the case anyway. Of course just taking a guy in the first round... Well you've heard that song before. I'm just saying but some guys look great in practice and some guys don't.

WSS

That could be the case anyway. Of course just taking a guy in the first round... Well you've heard that song before. I'm just saying but some guys look great in practice and some guys don't.

WSS

Very true. Weeden wasn't a world beater in practice, but he did look pretty solid. Solid enough to win that starting job...and we all know how that turned out.

also I think experience as a starter counts for a great deal compared to any rookie regardless of his talent or upside.

WSS

As do I, there is no substitute for NFL game experience. With that said, I also think that there's a certain ceiling for that. If a guy has played 40-50 games in the NFL, it's highly unlikely that he's going to be anything different than what he's proven to be in the past, especially if the guy has bounced around to a couple different teams.

That's why I'd rather we take Manuel than McCown. Manuel has the experience of being a starter, but he's still young and he's only been with one team. He hasn't flamed out anywhere else yet. He could still very easily end up being a Josh Freeman or Kyle Boller, but there's still a chance that he just needs a fresh start with a young team.

Manuel has shown enough to prove he's terrible, plain and simple. Typical guy who has the size and physical tools but nothing else. The year he was drafted if it had ANY QB's worth a crap he would have been a mid 2nd to 3rd round pick at best. A fresh start won't fix the fact he can't play the position in the NFL.

Another case of I'd rather see what Manziel's got than go this route.

Manuel has shown enough to prove he's terrible, plain and simple. Typical guy who has the size and physical tools but nothing else. The year he was drafted if it had ANY QB's worth a crap he would have been a mid 2nd to 3rd round pick at best. A fresh start won't fix the fact he can't play the position in the NFL.

Another case of I'd rather see what Manziel's got than go this route.

I don't think it's that plain and simple. Manuel is still quite young and has yet to start an entire NFL season.

He's for damn sure a better look than most, if not all, of the available QB's in FA. His career rating (78.5) is higher than Hoyer's (76.8), McCown's (76.1) and Ponder's (75.9).

At this current moment, my hierarchy of potentially available NFL QB's would be:

-Foles

-Cutler

-Manuel

-Bradford

-Any FA QB

To get Foles, we'd have to move a first. That's not worth it. To get Cutler, we'd have to move a first. Plus, he'll be bringing a ridiculous contract that we'd have to renegotiate. Also not worth it. Bradford, in my opinion, is too damaged.

Manuel is young and still raw, but has NFL experience. He's more polished than any mid-late round prospects we'd get in the draft and he'll at least give Manziel a competition throughout camp. Making Manziel the de facto starter only Connor Shaw and an unnamed rookie on his heels is setting this team up for failure.

It's not the worst idea in the world. From a cost-benefit standpoint, it makes more sense than shelling out money for McCown.

At this current moment, my hierarchy of potentially available NFL QB's would be:

-Foles

-Cutler

-Manuel

-Bradford

-Any FA QB

You lost me at "Cutler"... but it's moot now.

McCown, Capt. Rehab and Petty '015!

Only issue to settle now is whether McCown counts twice as a name on "the jersey"...

You lost me at "Cutler"... but it's moot now.

McCown, Capt. Rehab and Petty '015!

Only issue to settle now is whether McCown counts twice as a name on "the jersey"...

Cutler is my guilty pleasure.

Dude is a straight up asshole and I love it.

Archived