THE BROWNS BOARD

See Anyone You Like In Potential Cuts?

TexasAg1969

Just a couple thoughts here:

-Wouldn't mind seeing Phil Taylor go, he's okay but okay talent shouldn't be 6 mil against the cap if you ask me.

-Depending how the QB situation goes Fitzpatrick would be a solid backup. Definitely don't want to see him as a starter though

-I still can't believe we got a first round pick for Trent Richardson. I know the actual player we got from it is potentially bust material too but I still think it couldn't be worse than Trent.

Just a couple thoughts here:

-I still can't believe we got a first round pick for Trent Richardson. I know the actual player we got from it is potentially bust material too but I still think it couldn't be worse than Trent.

That's the positive thing from the trade. Sure Manziel has shown nothing to make me believe he's any better than Richardson, but at least we've only seen 1 start from him and there's still a chance he could get better and be worth a 1st round pick. Richardson has had 3 years and will soon be on his 3rd team. He will go down in history as one of the biggest busts in NFL draft history.

I think the article's criticism of Taylor for a low tackle total is way off base. Plus if his pattern continues he's due for a healthy 2015.

As for the cut candidates...

Of the strongs: no one save our own Taylor.

Of the Potential Surprises: Both Wilfork and Ngata would be interesting, but...

- Vince is long in the tooth and when Bill let's a player go, he's usually close to done.

- Haloti is a personal fav. So long as we do not expect, or pay for, what he was in his prime, then fine.

Of the "other": two names pop Keisel and Posluszny... both play like Browns.

- Unfortunately Keisel is too long in the tooth to change teams now (I think LeBeau talked him into playing last year).

- Coming off a torn pec, Paul P on the other hand would pair nicely with Dansby inside.

I think the article's criticism of Taylor for a low tackle total is way off base. Plus if his pattern continues he's due for a healthy 2015.

As for the cut candidates...

Of the strongs: no one save our own Taylor.

Of the Potential Surprises: Both Wilfork and Ngata would be interesting, but...

- Vince is long in the tooth and when Bill let's a player go, he's usually close to done.

- Haloti is a personal fav. So long as we do not expect, or pay for, what he was in his prime, then fine.

Of the "other": two names pop Keisel and Posluszny... both play like Browns.

- Unfortunately Keisel is too long in the tooth to change teams now (I think LeBeau talked him into playing last year).

- Coming off a torn pec, Paul P on the other hand would pair nicely with Dansby inside.

Saw an interview with Tom Coughlin and he made it clear they would do everything they could to keep Pierre-Paul a Giant for his whole NFL career. They may have to franchise tag him though (he didn't say that but it's in the news). http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2015/02/jason_pierre-paul_franchise_tag_possible_because_g.html

Never mind-see you were referring to Poslusky

Deangelo williams would interest me if he does get cut. I know we have 2 or 3 young capable backs, but he should come pretty cheap and if healthy could be a good 3rd down option that can catch out of the backfield, something we saw very little last season.

Schaub is finished. Fitzpatrick is very average. I like Locker only because he has potential upside.

Exactly...

Schaub is done. Out of nowhere he broke down in Houston and confirmed that status in OAK.

Fitz is simply too aggravating. Super smart guy that just can't help but make stupid throws.

Seeing Josh Cribbs blown up TWICE in the playoffs for the Colts back-to-back weeks was too much for me.

The NFL needs to do a lot more to protect the punt returner, especially THIS DAY & AGE. There was no room, no halo of protection. Ridiculous. NO Excuse. Goodell and all 32 owners need to stand looking to the sky and get nailed once from an NFL pro sprinting 50 yards for me, after seeing Cribbs take that senseless punishment. Josh Cribbs (and the other 30-some-odd brains standing in to return punts in the NFL) deserve a lot better than that.

There are definitely a handful of guys cut already that would help the Browns in 2015:

Haloti Ngata would be the biggest possible addition for me. There is a swing potential he could bring in the Browns' favor over the div-rivals that would be bigger than anything another player in this FA class so far could bring, IMO. I think he's got 3 good years in the tank, and I'll take them at a higher price than some others - I don't mind paying the man to take him off Ozzie's hands. Especially when there is a fair chance that Ngata is the difference in division play between the Browns & Ravens in at least one of those next 3 years.

I also [think I] like Posluszny paired with Dansby inside. But I'd also want to see ILB addressed with a late-mid draft pick for the future.

AJ Hawk is the official leading tackler in the history of the Packers. But I'd rather have younger legs next to Dansby.

Wilfork would be a good one year plan at NT, but I hope we have a long term solution by the end of Round 1 in April, instead.

At QB, I really think it's best to die to the position this season so we may rise much, much higher level after a top QB choice in the 2016 Draft. Just from the B1G - Cardale Jones, MSU's Connor Cook, and PSU Christian Hackenberg may be poised Top-10 worthy picks. I realize that it would be wise to add a vet FA QB - and our veteran Browns players deserve that. But I also actually believe that Connor Shaw and Manziel have the potential to surprise a bit in a Flip-coached offense in 2015; I believe the Browns would not be stupid for their future to go into the season with the guys on the roster at QB. At the end of 2015, we'd know what we have in Shaw & Manziel, and we'd be poised for our future in the 2016 Draft.

It's reassuring to me & this plan for 2016 that the Browns brought in Josh McCown to interview first, a guy that went 1-10 last season, has learned many different offenses in his career, and will be a groomer for the future more than anything. Likewise, Fitzpatrick would work... he's good for a stunning win or two a season amid subpar play... and he's a groomer. The other QBs don't make sense to me.

Seeing Josh Cribbs blown up TWICE in the playoffs for the Colts back-to-back weeks was too much for me.

The NFL needs to do a lot more to protect the punt returner, especially THIS DAY & AGE. There was no room, no halo of protection. Ridiculous. NO Excuse. Goodell and all 32 owners need to stand looking to the sky and get nailed once from an NFL pro sprinting 50 yards for me, after seeing Cribbs take that senseless punishment. Josh Cribbs (and the other 30-some-odd brains standing in to return punts in the NFL) deserve a lot better than that.

There's this thing called the "fair catch"...

Archived