THE BROWNS BOARD

Pet on #1 Need for 2015 Playoffs: "It starts on Defense."

Tour2ma

Yes, there are other things, e.g., answering the QB question.

Good article with interview video imbedded.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/Browns-No-1-offseason-focus-Elevate-the-defense-to-an-elite-level/fcd52877-d9b4-4ab6-9312-7e9a125abb2a

bleacherreport Browns draft predictions all 10 spots.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2373527-cleveland-browns-mock-draft-7-round-predictions-post-combine

If they think LSU's Collins drops to us in the 2nd, they lose all credibility.

bleacherreport Browns draft predictions all 10 spots.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2373527-cleveland-browns-mock-draft-7-round-predictions-post-combine

If they think LSU's Collins drops to us in the 2nd, they lose all credibility.

Its very possible, actually.

Also, in response to the spirit of the original post. The more I watch other players, the more comments I listen from our coaching staff - the more I believe we address defense early.

Offensive line will be mid round prospects for quality depth. WR will be late first into the 2nd-3rd rounds.

One of the picks in the first three must be a wr. If Kevin White is there,

the Browns would pass him up?

Nope, imhso. I think the Browns would do well to sign that big NT ...

Knighton? from TB? FA....

that would change the three choices dramatically.

There are several good wr's again this year. DT, ILB and OL. Inside out.

There are several good wr's again this year. DT, ILB and OL. Inside out.

that's how i see it if everything falls into place that way.

very deep DL draft. it could go in any order. if a #1 OL is there at 12 and there are no trade downs you take them don't you?

at this point white and cooper will prob go top ten. i don't think the browns trade up 2-3 spots for one of them given pettine's remarks.

a NT on the other hand.............

If we get Shelton or Brown at #12 and a truly great pass rushing DE is there @ #19, I'd take him even before the ILB to complement Kruger. Nothing creates turnovers like a good middle run stopper surrounded by pass rushers. The ILB's we have now are adequate under this scenario IMHO. WR is deep enough to wait to the second round without jumping up.

Knowing Pettine to be a straight shooter what he is saying is awesome. He expects the Browns to have one of the best defenses in the NFL next season as well as having one of the best offensive lines.

That right there is the ticket to curing a question mark at QB. Think Dilfer and the Ravens.

Now were talking. We do not win shoot out's(thanks ATL.) so hold them under 20. FA's signing must be key to what we do in the draft to finish are needs. Sliding Down in draft to get your need is a whole lot easier than Going up and would prefer not giving up shit to try to move up. We sit at 12, NT D. Shelton some board's have him there some no chance. At start FA, watch NT T. Knighton out of Denver fits our Cap and Need. At 12 and 19 it's mostly DE and DT and OL. ILB's starts pick 25ish, OLB starts pick 32ish?? our next pick 77..

Lot's of options and no doubt what we do in free agency will impact what we do in the draft.

I don't see any moves up in the draft, but I could see a slide down if we have some targets in the 20's and someone wants our draft position. Farmer has shown he likes to bank draft picks. I could see moving from 19 to 24 and pick up a 2nd or 3rd rounder next year.

To pick up a 1st rounder we would have to slide way down since we aren't sitting at the top of the draft. I don't know that I would want to do that.

That goes to Farmer's philosophy which is that a WR is a minor player in a team's success as they only get on average 5-6 touches in a game.

Now, I believe that top notch WR should get about 10 touches per game.....and if you have 2 top receivers that goes up to 16-18 touches per game.

So, like we used to say on the innfield when a man was on first: Let's get two.

If a Cooper or a White is there at 12....or 19, go ahead and take one of them. Or is not in round 1, get a Devin Smith say in round 2.

Then a Levi Norwood or Evan Spencer in round 6-7.

Can't hurt.

... or could hurt a lot.

I'm all for WRs, RBs and CBs shining. Will push the best of what we need to us.

Flip OLB and ILB in that order and I'm on board.

I'm good with any standout, front 7 prospect getting called at #12. I had a dream draft yesterday on FanSpeak where Beasley and Shelton were there at 12, I took Beasley and Shelton was still there at 19... Like I said, it was a dream draft. Nothing like wrapping up 3 needs in 2 players.

Aside: Seeing more projections that one of my OLB value picks, Markus Golden, is being projected inside by some.

Pettines comments bring me full circle to something I was saying just last week.......and I know people will HATE this.....but....

Dont be surprised to see them pick a couple DB's early.....a safety or 2....maybe another CB......

I know everyone wants WR, LB and DL, but Im thinking they' still like their guys and think they'll play better when healthy....

And Im surprised no one is concerned about our depth at Safety, when we have zero backups.....

So, Im predicting they go DT, SS/CB, then O line..........

Sheard/Robertson are keys to LB...if they sign, then we wont be picking one early.....

I'm thinking OL, DL, ILB, CB/SS in that order.

The running game went to shit after Mack went down, and had no depth.

After Taylor went down, opposing teams had their backups look like Jim Brown.

The WR's can wait, either later in the draft or pick up one in FA.

Pettines comments bring me full circle to something I was saying just last week.......and I know people will HATE this.....but....

Dont be surprised to see them pick a couple DB's early.....a safety or 2....maybe another CB......

I know everyone wants WR, LB and DL, but Im thinking they' still like their guys and think they'll play better when healthy....

And Im surprised no one is concerned about our depth at Safety, when we have zero backups.....

Sheard/Robertson are keys to LB...if they sign, then we wont be picking one early.....

One rant please, Bark Mingo, So done with this Dude. Healthy or Not, does not suck you inside on play's that if He stay's in position he's there to attempt a tackle in the hole he ran from. He cannot get off a block, He can't cover any TE or RB, I remember 1 sack maybe. We will never stop the run with him behind the D-Line. Thanks, Better Now.. We come to you for positive thoughts and Mingo is our only LOLB on the Depth Chart.. Help!!

when you guys say "DE" is a need...be specific, cause we run a 3-4. A DE in our scheme is a pretty much a DT moved out playing the 5 tech..think Justin Smith. I'm all on board with us going after Bosa next year. For this year, if we pick a DE type player he's got to be able to play the Jack OLB'er like Kruger. A guy who's in the 260-270 range. I don't see the 5 tech as being a necessity this year. We still have Dez and Winn who play that position perfectly fine. On the D line we need a NT to back up Taylor. We cannot let the D get goatfucked again by the NT getting hurt.

After watching Perryman at the combine, he looked fat to me..and not particulary fast. I was high on drafting a run stopping ILB'er high but there might not be a dude in the draft to pick that high. If an OLB'er like Beasley is there at 12 we can't pass that up.

Well... you again have to define terms since the #1 OL is supposedly Scherff (I still don't get him) and he is slated to move to OG by most accounts. Were he the only choice at 12, then I trade the pick ASAP.

But he won't be... I think there are over 20 players in the top 12 now...

Pettines comments bring me full circle to something I was saying just last week.......and I know people will HATE this.....but.... Dont be surprised to see them pick a couple DB's early.....a safety or 2....maybe another CB......

I don't "hate it", but I don't see it. the caution is warranted due to Pet's inclinations, but to spend a high pick to add strength to strength at CB makes no sense. Mid-rounder? Different story...

Assuming we sign Gip, then with Poyer backing him up at FS, I'm not too concerned there. Less comfortable with Bade behind Whit at SS, but still think Desir ultimately plays a role there.

As for LBs...

I still see Sheard gone. He needs to be a 4-3 DE. I think we draft his replacement in an Orchard... or Golden... or Kikaha... or Dupree... or...

Robertson, on the other hand, I see here. He still seems to be developing and ILB is a shallow pond to be fishing in this year.

I don't "hate it", but I don't see it. the caution is warranted due to Pet's inclinations, but to spend a high pick to add strength to strength at CB makes no sense. Mid-rounder? Different story...

Assuming we sign Gip, then with Poyer backing him up at FS, I'm not too concerned there. Less comfortable with Bade behind Whit at SS, but still think Desir ultimately plays a role there.

Pettines inclinations are mostly what drive my suspicions......but, as with the other positions, signing Skrine will be an indicator....

I worry about Poyer, as they used Leonard(ss) to relieve Gipson(fs)....and he wasn't really a FS....and now he's gone.....If Poyer was viable, then why Leonard?

And Bademosi is not a viable replacement. Desir did play a bit at FS(40 downs or so) and I agree may be heading toward that role....but that only means one less CB to me(and if Skrine goes...then who?)....

So, yeah, it may sound crazy......and it's not really my preferred stance......Im just saying "dont be surprised" if DB comes into play, even though it doesn't seem to even be in the discussion right now......

Archived