THE BROWNS BOARD

Please Don't Trade Up For Marioti

Opal312

It would be flat out stupid to mortgage the future on another quarterback. Especially when you consider the Brown's track record in recent years. Mariota is not worth the risk. The Browns need to re-sign Hoyer, work with Manziel and draft a premier wide receiver and pass rusher. We're also going to need a tight end at some point in the draft. If Farmer picks wisely in this year's draft and doesn't start getting stupid the team will at least be competitive. And next year if we still need a quarterback then go after Cardale Jones.

It would be flat out stupid to mortgage the future on another quarterback. Especially when you consider the Brown's track record in recent years. Mariota is not worth the risk. The Browns need to re-sign Hoyer, work with Manziel and draft a premier wide receiver and pass rusher. We're also going to need a tight end at some point in the draft. If Farmer picks wisely in this year's draft and doesn't start getting stupid the team will at least be competitive. And next year if we still need a quarterback then go after Cardale Jones.

It's always a crap shoot. I have some concerns with Mariota but who knows? You guess right on these things and your a genius and if your wrong you don't know anything.

Anyway your game plan is pretty much what I am sticking with too. Add some pieces to an already talented team.

Our biggest need, A franchise QB.. Winston more ready on the field for the NFL game. When stuff goes wrong on the field, Winston is not ready for ANYthing off the Field but maybe a podium after a win ( Cam Newton ish). M. Mariota on the Field, he will see a better Ohio State on Sunday's and is Derek Carr ish, seems pout ish. Neither fits Our Franchise QB needs. More Drama needs not for us..

Our biggest need, A franchise QB.. Winston more ready on the field for the NFL game. When stuff goes wrong on the field, Winston is not ready for ANYthing off the Field but maybe a podium after a win ( Cam Newton ish). M. Mariota on the Field, he will see a better Ohio State on Sunday's and is Derek Carr ish, seems pout ish. Neither fits Our Franchise QB needs. More Drama needs not for us..

I'd take Derek Carr right about now.

I hope he is still there at #19 if we go for a WR or OT first. I suspect Shelton might still be on the board @ #12 given how many teams above us need OT's and WR's though. I expect the 2 best in each of those categories to be off the board already along with the 2 QB's.

However this post-combine pick at sbnation has us going for Brown @ #12 with Shelton off the board for Chicago.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2015/2/22/8082411/nfl-mock-draft-2015-scouting-combine-edition

i don't think it's all-in for cardale next year type of decision. i think all drafts should be based on need and what positions are favored that year. this year it happens to be one of the deepest drafts at the DL position. what do the browns need? DL help and OL help/depth. rubin will prob be gone and taylor gets hurt every year now, so when fans are questioning why the browns can't stop the run....well there's your answer.

what happened to our offense when mack went down? exactly.

so trade the first 2 picks and prob another from next year to go up and grab a QB when we have serious needs at other positions?

i'd hate to see it myself.

i don't think it's all-in for cardale next year type of decision. i think all drafts should be based on need and what positions are favored that year. this year it happens to be one of the deepest drafts at the DL position. what do the browns need? DL help and OL help/depth. rubin will prob be gone and taylor gets hurt every year now, so when fans are questioning why the browns can't stop the run....well there's your answer.

what happened to our offense when mack went down? exactly.

so trade the first 2 picks and prob another from next year to go up and grab a QB when we have serious needs at other positions?

i'd hate to see it myself.

I'm not saying it's smart to trade so many picks to Mariota, I certainly wouldn't do it unless the price is right and the team believes him to be a franchise QB. I just don't think it makes sense to say "don't do it for Mariota", turn around and say "Cardale is worth it". Cardale is just as much of a question mark considering he doesn't play in a pro-style offense and has started in three games. Maybe by this time next season he's won the starting job at OSU, played an excellent season and is a lock to be the #1 pick and I'd be happy to see the team try to trade up to get him.

. I just don't think it makes sense to say "don't do it for Mariota", turn around and say "Cardale is worth it".

You got that right......amazing isnt it?

JFF and Mariota both kill it in college AND win heisman trophys.....but people say they suck and you can't trust their "college stats" to judge them.....call em risky, bad picks, etc.....

Then Cardell, a third stringer on a college team, comes in and plays 3 good games and is suddenly worth tanking a whole season and trading our entire draft for......

Lunacy......

You got that right......amazing isnt it?

JFF and Mariota both kill it in college AND win heisman trophys.....but people say they suck and you can't trust their "college stats" to judge them.....call em risky, bad picks, etc.....

Then Cardell, a third stringer on a college team, comes in and plays 3 good games and is suddenly worth tanking a whole season and trading our entire draft for......

Lunacy......

People see Cardale's size, arm strength and his success against top tier college teams as translating to a safer pick.

The knock on Mariota will always be the 'gimmick' offense, because he has everything (arm, mobility, character, mental ability) that you look for in a quarterback. JM was always going to be a boom or bust pick and those kind of players tend to go early because of their upside.

I can understand this kind of hype for Luck, a prospect who comes around every 10 years, but not for a guy who played 3 good games. If at this time next year the Browns are in a position where a decent quarterback is the missing piece to legitimately contend for the SB, by all means trade the farm to get the guy. Maybe by that point Cardale won't have played another game and Jake Cocker is the runaway top QB.

I didn't say we HAD to get Cardale Jones! I just said don't trade away our two first round picks on an unproven quarterback when we have other needs! Look what happened when the Redskins traded away all those picks for RG3. I also never thought they'd sign Josh McCown and give Hoyer the boot. My feeling was re-sign Hoyer and draft defense and O-line. And if Cardale is available then consider a QB next year. It's turning out to be a moot point because no way Hoyer will stay now.

it was obvious to the FO that hoyer didn't want to stay unless they broke the bank.

he was only going to be a brige QB again this year while they either draft another rookie QB this year or next. so they signed mccown who is hoyer v2.0.

Archived