THE BROWNS BOARD

Who is under more pressure? Pet or Farmer?

Tour2ma

i know pat bowlen used to be on the sidelines late in the 4th quarter for every home broncos game in that big mink coat of his.

(and i actually binged ludacrous for the correct spelling and i came away with lucacris.... this new fangled technology.............).

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

to protect the spirit of the game, the NFL has strict rules governing team communication during a game.

Current technology provides ridiculous scenarios for filtering messages to the sideline...

fans could call a hotline and give all sorts of information, for starters.

The idea is to make is as close to the 1940's as possible, practically. (kinda...)

Two organizations that have been busted in recent years as gross transgressors to this spirit of the game and the rules that protect it were...

1) The New England Patriots... their spygate was just sickening & widespread, I believe. Very widespread. What the NFL punished for was very minute, and for possibly many reasons (least of all, League image) (like the NBA did with referee Denehey [sp?])

2) The New Orleans Saints.... their front office brass had bugs planted in the visiting team areas of the SuperDome to record any information they could use for their advantage in the game. The NFL investigated and found this several years back.

What the Browns Ray Farmer did is, comparatively, much less than this... so much so, it's uncomparable.... like a kid that wouldn't let his friend ride his plastic horse on springs (as I once did at 6 yrs old) compared to what the Enron brass did to ruin countless degrees of quality of thousands, maybe millions of lives.

Effectively, what Ray Farmer actually did was less than deflating game balls in effect to the nature of competition. But because it falls under this realm of potentially great consequence to the game, the punishment [theoretically] should be harder than that of deflating game balls or using underinflated game balls.

Whatever the punishment for Ray Farmer's faux pas <fo' paw> what I know is that it better be A HELL of a lot less than the pussy whip the NFL gave to New England and New Orleans, respectively.

A HEEEEEEELLL OF A LOT LESS.

you don't know the rules you speak towards and you might not understand them if you would read 'em.

There's certain boxes in the stadium for owners & GMs & other team personnel like the spotters & callers of the game.

There's a reason that players use that phone on the sideline.

And only certain team officials are able to be on the other end of that line, or on the radio with the sideline.

GM & Owner are not among those designated to be communicating with the sideline during a game.

There is an owners box and a coaches box, but there arent hard rules about who sits in them. Just called the owners box because it's his box, etc. Anybody(coaches/GMs/Owners) can go anywhere they want and talk to whomever they want. So owners can be in the Coaches box and on the sideline....and coaches can be on the sideline or in the box too.....different teams do it different ways...

And that includes owners on the sidelines. They are allowed(and they are the ones who makes the rules, so it wont change)

And anyone can communicate with anyone they want....."just not on a cell phone, on the sideline, during a game"....

So Farmer could have called Shanny from the coaches box and it would have been fine, but since he texted it broke the rules.....it's not "what he did" but "how he did it"....

that's why my post was formed with questions because i was asking. i don't know the rules.

so the times where we see jerry jones on the sidelines are at a designated time at the end of the game?

Jerrys on the side line all the time.....Basically, there are 3 zones on the sideline and any non player/coach has to stay in zone 3 or risk an interference penalty(rarely if ever happens)...but the team can give sideline credentials to ANYBODY....and they are allowed as long as they stay away from the field of play...

There's a logic you employed that is really fucked up. Recognize that.

you dont even know what my logic is....so, id say your logic is fucked up?....since you like to read, here is my logic....try to give it a fair shake....

1) First....the investigation isnt done, so until it is NO ONE knows the facts.....

2) The rules say no phones on sidelines. And no phone communications to sidelines. So, wouldn't it reason that a "coach" shouldn't have his phone with him if its against the rules?

3) And if the coach wasnt permitted to have a phone, then wouldn't that also be reason for the GM to believe he didn't have his phone or it would at least be turned off?

4) So, if the GM got an idea during a game and wanted to convey that to his coach, wouldn't it be reasonable to send that message now, assuming he would see it after the game? (after all, how can you text someone who's not allowed to have a phone?????)

5) And, if by chance that phone was on, wouldn't the GM be protected by the knowledge that the coach wouldn't be checking messages in the middle of a game?

6) Of course, there is always the chance that this type of exchange happens often and that both Shanny(and Farmer) had phones on and used them during games....and if that is the case, then he's equally as guilty...though in my view, he's far worse.....because he's a turncoat and a snitch...

So.....until the NFL comes out and disciplines Farmer and explains how this text is an egregious transgression that created an unfair playing field....Im putting more onus on Shanahan for being the snitch, than Im putting on Farmer for trying to get thru to his coach

Neither? Both? If this season plays out like it looks to, this team will be 5-11 or 6-10. The owner will need a fall guy cause that's what they do to explain failure to fans. If they fire Farmer the next GM will fire Pettine. If they fire Pettine we can be assured that the talent Farmer put in place failed as well.

Could be BH (Hey... same initials as Hoyer), but I have a feeling it's not the case.

I have the feeling all are in this boat together and will be for a while.

Could be BH (Hey... same initials as Hoyer), but I have a feeling it's not the case.

I have the feeling all are in this boat together and will be for a while.

I hope they stay together for continuity but I'll be the first to admit if they have 3 losing seasons they shouldn't get a 4th

they were one game under .500 last year. i know in the stats that's a losing record but anyone that doesn't take into account all the things that happened last year, from mack to manziel, and see the improvement is pretty obtuse.

they were one game under .500 last year. i know in the stats that's a losing record but anyone that doesn't take into account all the things that happened last year, from mack to manziel, and see the improvement is pretty obtuse.

They absolutely improved but going from the root cellar to the basement isn't a quantum leap forward

wasn't it the winningest season in like 7 years?

not saying fans should be satisfied but for a first year regime i think they did damn good.

Mik we have been down this road before so let me just say as we move forward they get 2 more years to have a winning record, if not they'll be gone. So at the end of 2016-17 we'll either be celebrating a winning season or arguing who should be the next coach.

Archived