THE BROWNS BOARD

Josh McCown let go by the Bucs

ColumbusKing

Last year he signed for 2 years $10 million, $4.75 guaranteed. Why would 1 year $5 million be that far fetched?

simply because that was a FA contract following his one good year at Chicago and teams were bidding for him....

Now, he went 1-10 and has been cut just to avoid paying him the $5m......so Id think if he was $5m after his best season, then he'd be worth less after his worst season AND after getting chopped......call me crazy....

Bottom line.....5m a year would put him in the top 15 of all QB salaries....and to me that seems far fetched...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

simply because that was a FA contract following his one good year at Chicago and teams were bidding for him....

This year there is more demand and less supply for QBs in the FA market... It's all business. He still has teams bidding for him, based more on need than on his abilities. No reason he can't get the same money as he got last year, at least I can't blame the guy for trying... I just hope the Browns don't pay it...

Is

This year there is more demand and less supply for QBs in the FA market... It's all business. He still has teams bidding for him, based more on need than on his abilities. No reason he can't get the same money as he got last year, at least I can't blame the guy for trying... I just hope the Browns don't pay it...

Is there?

Last year there were 6 teams definitely looking for franchise QB's and a few teams possibly looking - Minnesota, Cleveland, Jacksonville, New York, Oakland and Buffalo all definitely needed a franchise QB. Tampa Bay and Tennessee were possibly in need of a franchise QB because they weren't sure of what they currently had.

Subtract Jacksonville, Oakland and Minnesota and add St. Louis and Washington and you're left with basically the exact same amount of teams looking for QB's this season.

This year two of those teams will likely get their QB in the draft.

Vick, Freeman and McCown were the big three of FA QB's last season. Those were the guys who could supposedly be lower-tier franchise level starting QB's. Mark Sanchez, Chad Henne, Matt Cassel and Shaun Hill were all Brian Hoyer-esque FA's last season - guys who could probably come in and play serviceably enough to not lose you some games.

This year we have players like Locker, Mallet, McCown, Davis, Hill and Hoyer.

All in all - it seems like this year's class is essentially the same. And that's not even factoring in the availability of Cutler, Bradford and Foles through trades.

Regardless, it's all immaterial since McCown is likely going to sign with Buffalo.

At this point at QB 1.Get in the Marriota and Foles Mix. Or 2.Resign Hoyer or Sign Cutler. or 3.Draft Hundley high Draft, Middle draft Petty, or low Draft Mannion (over 500 snaps UNDER CENTER) before or Greyson. 4. Leaves R. Mallet or Sanchez. And that S.C. GameCock Shaw is going to make them work for it...

Reports this morning he is headed for Buffalo. Source NFL Network TV reporting.

Truthfully he would be a liability. If you can't do shit with two of the very best huge receivers in the NFL, then you can't do shit period.

As opposed to the asset Johnny turned into?

The Bucs O-line was pretty terrible... so there's that.

No savior, just a viable choice with a Flippy connection, and one it appears we've pursued...

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/02/cleveland_browns_trying_to_sig.html

And...... done deal. Why do I have a feeling this leads me to believe we possibly engineer a trade up with the Jets for Mariota.

And given the fact that in 2014 only 1 of the hot shit quarterbacks was drafted in the top 20 and that was the hall of fame candidate Blake Bortles why wouldn't it be a safe guess the one of the two will drop in our laps if we are desperate for one of these mediocre prospects?

WSS

And given the fact that in 2014 only 1 of the hot shit quarterbacks was drafted in the top 20 and that was the hall of fame candidate Blake Bortles why wouldn't it be a safe guess the one of the two will drop in our laps if we are desperate for one of these mediocre prospects?

WSS

Good point there......they ALL dropped last year, didnt they....

At some point, every one of those guys(Carr, Bortles, Bridgewater, JFF) was projected as a top 5 pick.....

Heck, for 2 whole years they said Bridgewater would be first player taken....how'd that work out?

WSS

Because for one pick we forgot we were the Cleveland Browns.

.... Then about 2 hours later picked right up where we left off.

@AdamSchefter: Josh McCown deal with Browns:

3 years/$14M with upsides to $20M. $6.25M is Fully Guaranteed. Year 1 is $5.25M Fully Guaranteed.

Im shocked and think they overpaid some.....esp if the guarantees go beyond one year.....must really like him(or hate the other prospects)

I was expected more like 3 yrs/10m......heavy on the front.....maybe with 1yr/4m guaranteed....

Trade Mr. John rehab for whatever you can get. Its a new system again, so just call it a wash wish him. Draft Petty and develope him this year. he is 6' 3" and 230. We need a man in the pocket, not a scrambling little fella.

Archived