THE BROWNS BOARD

Josh McCown let go by the Bucs

ColumbusKing

Coach said that yesterday in his presser. Sure we're interested. At this point I have absolutely no doubt they have some interest in anyone. Plus I don't put much stock in anything that any coach says during a press conference.

WSS

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's Josh!

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Longtime veteran quarterback Josh McCown is visiting the Cleveland Browns today and Wednesday, a league source told Northeast Ohio Media Group.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/02/josh_mccown_will_visit_clevela.html

Here's Josh!

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Longtime veteran quarterback Josh McCown is visiting the Cleveland Browns today and Wednesday, a league source told Northeast Ohio Media Group.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/02/josh_mccown_will_visit_clevela.html

Perhaps I don't understand the interest in McCown yet the lack of in Hoyer.

Brian might not be good behind an inconsistent Oline but McCown is worse.

Although Brian's mysterious deterioration beyond that explained by Mack's injury does concern me, I'm not stating a preference for McCown over Hoyer. More a case that I believe Brian is gone and McCown seems like a reasonable option among the other FAs out there.

That said, I did hear today that BH is open to a contract that pays him for whatever role he ends up in with us, i.e., starter pay, if he starts, and back-up pay, if he is a back-up.

So the question becomes, do we offer that? The speculation associated with the report was no, we do not offer that kind of contract.

I am guessing the front office has no problem with keeping Hoyer. It's just they don't want to seem too eager to the agent. Let them shop around and see how many teams are chomping at the bit to guarantee him a starting slot and a long guaranteed contract. I would guess the market isn't as Rosie as they have been hoping.

WSS

canning it for cardale would only ensure one thing, that another regime change could happen and that's the last thing this team needs (unless of course haslam signs off on it).

sure indy did it for luck but i really doubt that pro football players go on the field and tank a game on purpose. they do have pride ya know?

canning it for cardale would only ensure one thing, that another regime change could happen and that's the last thing this team needs (unless of course haslam signs off on it).

sure indy did it for luck but i really doubt that pro football players go on the field and tank a game on purpose. they do have pride ya know?

But come on wed be doing it for an Ohio and Cleveland native Big Ten quarterback who has started three games! That has to be some sort of a guarantee, right?

WSS

For a bridge QB, I'd much rather have Hoyer resign in Cleveland.

I am assuming Hoyer is gone.

So early 2014 Hoyer vs. 2013 McCown? Close call, but I am inclined to lean towards Josh.

Im assuming he's gone too..

Perhaps I don't understand the interest in McCown yet the lack of in Hoyer.

For me.....and as a bridge.....McCown seems like the better option simply because he can accept his role...no matter what it is.....

As a bridge QB, it would seem we need someone who is wiling to help develop younger qb's...willing to sit(without ego issues).....willing to share with guys like JFF.....etc....

Hoyer has been pretty clear that his focus is to be a starter and he wasn't exactly a great tutor for the younger QB's, who he views as competitors. If the Browns dont see him as the future starter, but thats all he wants to be...then they are on different trains going different directions...

McCown, on the other hand, is openly willing to sit..teach...coach...or play...whatever we need...which, right now, IS what we need.

Im assuming he's gone too..

For me.....and as a bridge.....McCown seems like the better option simply because he can accept his role...no matter what it is.....

As a bridge QB, it would seem we need someone who is wiling to help develop younger qb's...willing to sit(without ego issues).....willing to share with guys like JFF.....etc....

Hoyer has been pretty clear that his focus is to be a starter and he wasn't exactly a great tutor for the younger QB's, who he views as competitors. If the Browns dont see him as the future starter, but thats all he wants to be...then they are on different trains going different directions...

McCown, on the other hand, is openly willing to sit..teach...coach...or play...whatever we need...which, right now, IS what we need.

I think you're right on all counts.

Hands down, McCown would be the guy I see as the ideal fit, whether the young QB to be tutored is Johnny or someone else.

Mike

Hoyer done here, can't say I don't blame him. First-draft Manziel. 2nd Farmer and Owner want Manziel on field. 3rd bring in McCown. TB has decided Winston and Glennon compete for Starter in Tampa Bay and McCown out. I Believe Hoyer is over any text to field and Farmer can't cover it up. Damn shame Hoyer never had a chance to keep Gordon on the field for 2 years. Cameron and injuries to the Best OL in the League all sucks From your HomeTown Team. Hope Hoyer get's paid and does well..

I've been hearing McCown is looking for $5 mill a year for his services.

Seems a bit steep for a 35 yr old bridge QB/tutor/mentor or whatever he's looking for.

Yes it does.....not sure where you got that figure, but cant believe its valid

He's never made that much his entire career...

They were throwing that 5 mill figure around on the radio a couple of days ago.

But you know as well as I do that just because he's asking for 5 mill doesn't mean he's going to get it.

They were throwing that 5 mill figure around on the radio a couple of days ago.

But you know as well as I do that just because he's asking for 5 mill doesn't mean he's going to get it.

Im thinking the radio guys must have had some bad info.......cant believe he's asking nearly that much

I heard on the radio this morning that he left without signing. Apparently making up his mind on where to go (other interviews).

making up his mind?

did the Browns offer a contract?

Bills are going after him, deal should be done by Friday.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/02/26/bills-looking-land-josh-mccown/

Which is a shame.

Because replacing a QB that went 7-6 with a 76.5 rating with one that went 1-10 with a 70.5 rating would have went over well with the fanbase.

Zombo

Im thinking the radio guys must have had some bad info.......cant believe he's asking nearly that much

Last year he signed for 2 years $10 million, $4.75 guaranteed. Why would 1 year $5 million be that far fetched?

*Plus, That contract had an extra $5 million in boosters as well: $1 million per year "playing time" booster, and $3 million "if they made the playoffs either year" booster.

Could've made $15 million over 2 years if he kept his job and got to the playoffs either year. Instead, they have the 1st pick...

Bills are going after him, deal should be done by Friday.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/02/26/bills-looking-land-josh-mccown/

Which is a shame.

Because replacing a QB that went 7-6 with a 76.5 rating with one that went 1-10 with a 70.5 rating would have went over well with the fanbase.

Zombo

Please, let him go to Buffalo. Then when we see the $$ figure, we can start talking to Hoyer... who is not only better, but much younger as well...

Archived