THE BROWNS BOARD

Josh McCown let go by the Bucs

ColumbusKing

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am...

No, Josh McCown cannot put a team on his shoulders (those guys are all taken in case you haven't noticed), but he's a great choice for a continuation of what we did in 2014.

The guy can Play-action his ass off. May lose a bit of headiness vs. Hoyer, but gain more arm. Josh McCown can be that complementary, game-managing, bridge QB for a year or two and then settle into a back-up role.

Trestman will want him in BLT, but we can offer him the starter role.

I am...

No, Josh McCown cannot put a team on his shoulders (those guys are all taken in case you haven't noticed), but he's a great choice for a continuation of what we did in 2014.

The guy can Play-action his ass off. May lose a bit of headiness vs. Hoyer, but gain more arm. Josh McCown can be that complementary, game-managing, bridge QB for a year or two and then settle into a back-up role.

Trestman will want him in BLT, but we can offer him the starter role.

For a bridge QB, I'd much rather have Hoyer resign in Cleveland. As I've said before, there has yet to be a game Hoyer started where I felt we didn't have a chance to win.

We'd be sacrificing knowledge, comfortability, and mental acuity for a slightly stronger arm. To me, that's not worth it.

For a bridge QB, I'd much rather have Hoyer resign in Cleveland. As I've said before, there has yet to be a game Hoyer started where I felt we didn't have a chance to win.

We'd be sacrificing knowledge, comfortability, and mental acuity for a slightly stronger arm. To me, that's not worth it.

For starters, I am assuming Hoyer is gone. I just don't see him back. But were I to have to choose between the two...

Maybe all would add up to too much to give up, but hard to say since I have no idea what "comfortability" is (and neither does ieSpell). I assume the knowledge is playbook plus player, but both will be in some flux. Mental acuity? Again perhaps, but BH's head went somewhere the 2nd half of the season and took his acuity with it.

On the other side I think McCown's arm is a good bit stronger. I simply think he was asked to do too much in TB last year. In 2013 Trestman found McCown's groove. I think it's still there.

So early 2014 Hoyer vs. 2013 McCown? Close call, but I am inclined to lean towards Josh.

For starters, I am assuming Hoyer is gone. I just don't see him back. But were I to have to choose between the two...

Maybe all would add up to too much to give up, but hard to say since I have no idea what "comfortability" is (and neither does ieSpell). I assume the knowledge is playbook plus player, but both will be in some flux. Mental acuity? Again perhaps, but BH's head went somewhere the 2nd half of the season and took his acuity with it.

On the other side I think McCown's arm is a good bit stronger. I simply think he was asked to do too much in TB last year. In 2013 Trestman found McCown's groove. I think it's still there.

So early 2014 Hoyer vs. 2013 McCown? Close call, but I am inclined to lean towards Josh.

I'm assuming that neither are current members of the Browns. However, they both want starter money and a starter opportunity. Neither are really going to find it. So, for all intents and purposes, I believe they are on a level playing field as far contracts and opportunities go. Now we're just looking at two possible Free Agent signings.

Hoyer is comfortable with the players, the playbook, the coaching staff, the city and the fans. He has route timing and spacing down, he knows the individual tendencies of his receivers, his internal clock is more fine-tuned because he knows the strengths and limitations of his linemen, he's accustomed to the way the wind shifts and changes inside the stadium, etc. Individually, not much. Together, those are the variables that can be the difference between a win and a loss.

McCown won't have Jeffery, Marshall and Forte in Cleveland. He won't have two 6'4"receivers, each getting 1,300+ yards, that physically outmatch nearly every corner in the league.

Comparing best performances is always a scary task, just as comparing worst performances. If anything, I'd take it down to averages and then extrapolate over one full 16 game season.

Taking stats from Hoyer's 17 starts, dividing them by 17, then multiplying by 16 to extrapolate one full average season, you get:

334 completions | 592 attempts | 56.4% | 4,288 yards | 17 TD | 17 Int

Same process for McCown's 49 starts gives you:

314 completions | 544 attempts | 57.7% | 3,600 yards | 20 TD | 19 Int

Assuming an average performance, they are both very similar. Personally, I'd rather take the younger guy who's had one full year's worth of experience in Cleveland. He's at least starting out less behind the ball than McCown would be. While McCown would have to devote some time to learning the playbook, developing a rapport and learning his receivers, Hoyer could devote that team to perfecting the knowledge he does have.

It's all about accuracy and giving your receiver a chance to catch the ball at your own 20, or in the red zone. That's the biggest problem with both. Josh bigger gun, no touch on pass in a window VS Hoyer smaller gun than Josh allows Hoyer to SOMEtimes put it in a window. Compare TD's and Int's to a legit NFL starter there completion percentage has got to be over 60% or your not fixing anything.. I am sold on moving away from both and wish them well...

McClown as we called him, played behind one of the worst OLs in history in 2014 and he nor Glennon are starters. Trust me, I'm a Bucs fan first, Browns fan second.. I root for the Browns every week unless they play the Bucs. So, I saw every wretched Bucs game last yr.. We were going to petition the Glazers to bring back the blackouts..facepalm.gif

Neither is a starter and it's rumored here that Glennon is trade bait . The Browns OL is much better than the Bucs so either might be serviceable but neither is the answer..

Yeah, Releasing McDilfer certainly does indicate the Bucs are going with Mariotta or Winston with the #1.. I'm not thrilled by either :(

Pretty sure we had the same nickname for Luke.

Which raises the question: Would a brother add another name to "the jersey"?

No one thinks Josh McCown is the answer... just looking for "the bridge".

"Has anybody seen the bridge?"

"Where's that confounded bridge!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-y26hghwDs

Not a fan. He had one terrific half-season in Chicago ... with absolute stud weapons at WR and RB.

Hoyer is a guy that gives you more with less, and there are other guys out there, or going to be out there, that are better fits too.

Zombo

Tampa bay was supposed to be good last year and he only won 2 games. I'll say his odds of playing in an NFL game in the future are slim.

he'll play again, no doubt in my mind. whether he's named a starter somewhere is a different story.

they say the browns are dysfunctional? what about tampa bay? holy shit after winning a super bowl they've been nothing but embarrassing.

No one thinks Josh McCown is the answer... just looking for "the bridge".

Bridge QB? Bridge to what exactly??

I am not excited at all to watch this team in 2015 if we're putting McCown on the field. I guess we could just tank and hope to get our QB next year if that's the case... But then again, I'm sure nobody would be sold on any QBs coming out next year either...

What a waste this would be...

Bridge QB? Bridge to what exactly??

I am not excited at all to watch this team in 2015 if we're putting McCown on the field. I guess we could just tank and hope to get our QB next year if that's the case... But then again, I'm sure nobody would be sold on any QBs coming out next year either...

What a waste this would be...

Bridge to Teribithia.

I'm assuming that neither are current members of the Browns. However, they both want starter money and a starter opportunity. Neither are really going to find it. So, for all intents and purposes, I believe they are on a level playing field as far contracts and opportunities go. Now we're just looking at two possible Free Agent signings.

Hoyer is comfortable with the players, the playbook, the coaching staff, the city and the fans. He has route timing and spacing down, he knows the individual tendencies of his receivers, his internal clock is more fine-tuned because he knows the strengths and limitations of his linemen, he's accustomed to the way the wind shifts and changes inside the stadium, etc. Individually, not much. Together, those are the variables that can be the difference between a win and a loss.

McCown won't have Jeffery, Marshall and Forte in Cleveland. He won't have two 6'4"receivers, each getting 1,300+ yards, that physically outmatch nearly every corner in the league.

Comparing best performances is always a scary task, just as comparing worst performances. If anything, I'd take it down to averages and then extrapolate over one full 16 game season.

Taking stats from Hoyer's 17 starts, dividing them by 17, then multiplying by 16 to extrapolate one full average season, you get:

334 completions | 592 attempts | 56.4% | 4,288 yards | 17 TD | 17 Int

Same process for McCown's 49 starts gives you:

314 completions | 544 attempts | 57.7% | 3,600 yards | 20 TD | 19 Int

Assuming an average performance, they are both very similar. Personally, I'd rather take the younger guy who's had one full year's worth of experience in Cleveland. He's at least starting out less behind the ball than McCown would be. While McCown would have to devote some time to learning the playbook, developing a rapport and learning his receivers, Hoyer could devote that team to perfecting the knowledge he does have.

we don't have any receivers that scare a little league football team...that's why all this crap about hoyer lost his head the 2nd half of the yr is just that ...crap...when we had mack still in there, hoyer was at his best with mediocre recievers...we had a decent running game with mediocre backs...once mack went down and jackass gordon was installed in the lineup, yeah we went downhill. all these analysts where all up in the air commenting about when gordon comes back, this browns team will elevate...yeah they elevated all right. i honestly thought it might be true also until i saw the lazy bum play...

Please show him the OL stats from the Jacksonville game and send him Packing, of course after a good dinner..

Archived