THE BROWNS BOARD

How Close We are

OldBrownsFan

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok.

Would you take 5 second rounders for our two first rounders?

WSS

In a heart beat. We are not 1 or 2 players away, and that combined with our recent "success" in the 1st round, yea, done.

Certainly could. I always thought that's what the Clippers should do to get out of LA and under the Lakers. For the Chargers though, there's no way a stadium gets built anywhere in OC either. LA is the only option in terms of land and where the NFL wants the team.

I don't know about the land part. I suspect there is some land somewhere in the OC that could suffice. A Disneyland parking lot perhaps.

But maybe the NFL does want it in LA......and are they willing to abandon San Diego to do that?

I don't know about the land part. I suspect there is some land somewhere in the OC that could suffice. A Disneyland parking lot perhaps.

But maybe the NFL does want it in LA......and are they willing to abandon San Diego to do that?

Disneyland doesn't have much land left around it. The Chargers will be abandoning San Diego because their stadium is a dump and there is no hope of getting a new stadium built in San Diego. The city and team haven't been able to even agree on a location ton consider for a new stadium and they've only been talking about for the last 17 years.

The Chargers are moving somewhere and I'm willing to bet a lot that they won't let two teams move into LA and leave them stuck without a place to go.

The San Diego Chargers can hear the clock ticking, and they don't have the luxury of time..

With the St. Louis Rams mulling a relocation to Southern California, the Chargers are turning up the heat on the city of San Diego to determine whether they can finally get a new stadium in that city, or if they too need to make a play for Los Angeles.

Chargers set sights on L.A., push San Diego officials for action on stadium

Tensions flared Tuesday when Chargers special counsel Mark Fabiani wrote a letter to San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer that essentially questioned the seriousness and effectiveness of yet another stadium task force, and the mayor answered with a letter questioning the helpfulness of Fabiani's critique.

"His divisive tone and criticism of this group of volunteers, civic leaders and the city of San Diego as a whole are not conducive to developing a plan for a new stadium," Faulconer wrote. "I hope his behavior is not indicative of our ability to find a solution."

l Related

Stadium developer has donated $100,000 to Inglewood officials' campaignsSportsStadium developer has donated $100,000 to Inglewood officials' campaignsSee all relatedí

ADVERTISEMENT

The Chargers have made no secret of their disappointment in the mayor's forming a task force to address an issue they have been working on for almost 14 years. They met with Faulconer in November and tried to convince him to appoint a stadium czar who could work directly with team executives on finding an eventual replacement for aging Qualcomm Stadium.

Instead, the mayor appointed a task force, which the Chargers argue has no resources or authority to get anything done. Their position is that such an advisory group only allows the mayor to kick the can down the road and not deal with the problem at hand.

"Simply put, we have no intention of allowing the Chargers franchise to be manipulated for political cover," Fabiani told the task force in a letter Monday, "and we will call out any elected official who tries to do so."

c Comments

@Batcavern- Maybe you should know a little about the subject before opening your mouth. Over 30% of the Charger's season ticket holders are from LA and OC. Has been that way for years, especially since there is NO TEAM IN LA. There's an old saying. "It's better to keep...

temporarycalifornian

at 6:47 AM February 18, 2015

Add a commentí See all commentsí

ADVERTISEMENT

In voicing their displeasure, the Chargers are talking not just to the mayor and city. More important, they are talking to the owners of the NFL's 31 other teams, trying to underscore the effort they have made to find a solution in San Diego and how difficult that process has been.

Convincing the other owners of that is essential, because the NFL is intent on exerting its control of the L.A. market — including which team or teams can move there, and where a new stadium would be located. How much control the league has in those matters is up for debate.

ADVERTISEMENT

But the Chargers are trying to play by the league's rules to send the message that if it comes to a team moving back to the nation's second-largest market, they have fulfilled their relocation requirements and have done so by the book. Then, if it comes to a vote of owners, that presumably will weigh in their favor.

What Fabiani specifically questioned the mayor on Tuesday was whether the task force was truly independent of political influence. Fabiani asked why a political consultant to Faulconer, Jason Roe, attended a task force meeting that was closed to the media and the public. Fabiani also noted Roe is a lobbyist for a firm bidding to be a concessionaire at Qualcomm Stadium.

"Putting the legal and ethical issues aside for a moment," Fabiani wrote, "what sense does it make to have someone who is your chief advisor on political matters, and who advises a potential stadium vendor on business matters, play any sort of role with the 'independent' task force?"

The gist of Fabiani's question: Does the task force truly represent a good-faith effort to find a stadium solution, or is it an effort to continue to run out the clock on the problem?

Roe answered in a written statement that made reference to the Chargers' drafting a quarterback in what turned out to be one of the biggest flops in NFL history.

"Ryan Leaf is no longer the worst personnel decision in Chargers history," Roe responded. "In 14 years of failure, Mark Fabiani has done nothing but make excuses, lay blame, and pick fights. The mayor's advisory committee is just that — the mayor's advisory committee, and Mark does not get to dictate how the mayor organizes his advisory group."

Beyond the bickering is this undeniable truth: The pressure is rising in San Diego, and the Chargers are getting nervous and restless about protecting what they believe is their turf.

At some point soon, they might feel the need to take the next step. And that could be a step north.

That makes sense but for some reason they don't want to do that. I'm guessing part of the issue is where would they play in the meantime or where would people park?

I was going to suggest the San Diego St. Stadium....for them to do like the Vikings did.....but I think SDSU plays at Qualcomm.

Or perhaps this: build a new Stadium in SD.....but play in LA area while that is being built. the Rose Bowl or the Coliseum?

Heard per Jim Trotter that two teams are expected to move to the new LA stadium: SD and StL.

Also that 40% of the SD fan base lives in the LA area.

Heard per Jim Trotter that two teams are expected to move to the new LA stadium: SD and StL.

Also that 40% of the SD fan base lives in the LA area.

Stupid to put two there. One would suffice. Though, I mean, both the Chargers and Rams were in LA once and left.

Maybe instead of going back to LA, the Rams could go back to their original home: Cleveland!

Stupid to put two there. One would suffice. Though, I mean, both the Chargers and Rams were in LA once and left.

Maybe instead of going back to LA, the Rams could go back to their original home: Cleveland!

The plan was always going to be for 2 teams in LA. It mgiht take a year or two to get both of them there but there will be 2 teams in LA>

The plan was always going to be for 2 teams in LA. It mgiht take a year or two to get both of them there but there will be 2 teams in LA>

Nevertheless, it is speculative on if they even deserve one.

Want a team in LA? Expand. Don't fucking steal it from someone else. If teams move from St. Louis and SD it is just going to open up the shitstorm that happened in the 80s/90s when all those teams shifted. Raiders to LA, Rams to St. L. Colts to Indy. Cardinals to AZ, Oilers to Teneyesee. Attempted move of Browns.

Fuck, Jacksonville probably got the team that Baltimore shoulda got. Now they want to move the Jags....somewhere.

WTF is wrong with that Dome in St. Louis. It is barely 20 years old if that.

If it was built on the cheap, lot's can be wrong. Face it, the NFL owners need indoor space for club seats and indoor activities. I know you may not like them, but the fact remains lot's of fans want that, and those are typically the type of fans or business' that buy lots of tickets.

I know you are a older fan like I. Don't act like it. ;) The days of heading to the open air stadium to eat a crappy dog and swill some watered down beer are over. NFL teams are adapting to what their customers want, and the first people they listen to are the people spending the most money. Some may not want or like to hear that, but that's the way it is in any business.

Look, these new owners shell out a $billion. They have to make a large return. Simple interest would net them maybe 30 mil a year.

Trust me, it's fan driven. If the voice of the fans didn't want better this and that's, it wouldn't happen.

A NFL team in a city is huge. You have all kinds of cities in this country that could support a NFL team and will/would break the bank to bring one home. If a city with a team doesn't want to keep up with the Jones family, well, sorry Charlie.

Really man, one would think we of all people would understand that. We kept dicking arounf and Modell finally pulled the plug.

I know some may disagree with that, but to deaf ears here. I have no doubt had the city agreed to a nice new stadium, Art would have never moved the team, and that is the bottom line. Like it or not.

Really man, one would think we of all people would understand that. We kept dicking arounf and Modell finally pulled the plug.

I know some may disagree with that, but to deaf ears here. I have no doubt had the city agreed to a nice new stadium, Art would have never moved the team, and that is the bottom line. Like it or not.

I don't disagree completely....but he was the one who didn't want a new stadium at least according to the books I read.

I hear you on the two-team thing... It's not like LA has shown they will even support one, let alone two.

As for the StL stadium... bear in mind that Jerry set a new standard with his billion-dollar, pleasure dome and the bar is now very high. I've no doubt that it played a role in Jimmy renovating CBS, a 16-yo structure...

I don't disagree completely....but he was the one who didn't want a new stadium at least according to the books I read.

So he wanted to stay in muni stadium? I don't buy that. If so, he would have.

He simply wanted to screw Cleveland and move to Baltimore? I don't buy that either. Art was a big player in the Cleveland community for a long time. I don't believe he woke up one moring and decided to chuck all of that and move the team.

It makes no sense to say he was the one who didn't want a new stadium unless it comes from the standpoint that Baltimore now had a new stadium nearly done and the city of Cleveland finally took their dick out of their hand and said, ok , we will build one, and had him wait another 2-3-4 years while that happened.

You have to remember, the need for a new stadium in Cleveland didn't just happen 6 months before the move. The problem was the city felt the Indians or Cavs moving was a far greater risk. I remember talk about the Indians moving in the 60's when I still lived there. The city never thought the Browns would be the team to move. The Browns were the ancor of the sports teams. The Indians and Cavs were top priority because the Browns would never move. LOL

Lot's of wives or husbands move on because the spouse failed to pay close enough attention.

JMO

As I undersood it...

Art was jealous of the Indians' new stadium and was "what about me?", but more at the heart of his discontent with the city was his stadium deal.

Have to remember that Art was the only NFL owner who needed a credit line to sign draft picks...

wonder how the fans in st. louis feel about the team moving?

Oh- got friends and distant relatives living it St Louis- the Rams fan is distraught at the thought of them moving. Governor of Missouri is pissed- it may take state money to build a new stadium- Yes, people realize what the prestige and $$$ bring to having an NFL Franchise in a city.

Want a team in LA? Expand. Don't fucking steal it from someone else. If teams move from St. Louis and SD it is just going to open up the shitstorm that happened in the 80s/90s when all those teams shifted. Raiders to LA, Rams to St. L. Colts to Indy. Cardinals to AZ, Oilers to Teneyesee. Attempted move of Browns.

Fuck, Jacksonville probably got the team that Baltimore shoulda got. Now they want to move the Jags....somewhere.

WTF is wrong? Nothing is wrong with it. Been there a couple of times. FWIW, nothing was "wrong" with the Pontiac Silverdome either. Adios Metrodome Vikings. bye-bye Richfield Coliseum. Ballpeen nailed it- it's keeping up with the (Jerry) Jonses. The problem is the Edwards Jones Dome isn't Ford Field or Lucas Oil. Been there, seen those. By comparison St Looie don't measure up dinky scoreboards. Did hear the latest rumor on BSPN that the Radiers and Chargers want to one up Jerrah and the Cowboys and build a $1.7 billion pleasure palace outside LA

PS- the Bills are next on the "new stadium" extortion list, closely followed by the Jaguars.

We were fortunate with our stadium. It was molded on a big fancy stadium but built on the cheap. At least we had the room and ability to make the recent improvements which gave the Browns more premium space options, larger scoreboards, etc. If not we too would have been discussing a new suburban stadium in a few years.

That is one advantage open air stadiums have over a dome. With a dome you don't have many options to make any real changes.. a big part of the reason the Georgiadome is soon to be not.

If it was built on the cheap, lot's can be wrong. Face it, the NFL owners need indoor space for club seats and indoor activities. I know you may not like them, but the fact remains lot's of fans want that, and those are typically the type of fans or business' that buy lots of tickets.

I know you are a older fan like I. Don't act like it. ;) The days of heading to the open air stadium to eat a crappy dog and swill some watered down beer are over. NFL teams are adapting to what their customers want, and the first people they listen to are the people spending the most money. Some may not want or like to hear that, but that's the way it is in any business.

Look, these new owners shell out a $billion. They have to make a large return. Simple interest would net them maybe 30 mil a year.

Trust me, it's fan driven. If the voice of the fans didn't want better this and that's, it wouldn't happen.

A NFL team in a city is huge. You have all kinds of cities in this country that could support a NFL team and will/would break the bank to bring one home. If a city with a team doesn't want to keep up with the Jones family, well, sorry Charlie.

My issue is that the dome in St. Louis was supposed to have been built with all the bells/whistles and amenities that the fans wanted. It was built with the intention of luring either an expansion team or another team, which is what it did.

So, now, not many years later, it is now deficient? In what way? Is there some documentation that it is deficient?

I hear you on the two-team thing... It's not like LA has shown they will even support one, let alone two.

As for the StL stadium... bear in mind that Jerry set a new standard with his billion-dollar, pleasure dome and the bar is now very high. I've no doubt that it played a role in Jimmy renovating CBS, a 16-yo structure...

Should we demand something similar with our stadium that is only like 16 years old?

Look at Minneapolis, they were awarded a Super Bowl just for having a new dome. And Indy. Those "northern" cities certainly are no more deserving of having a Super Bowl sited there than Cleveland.

So he wanted to stay in muni stadium? I don't buy that. If so, he would have.

He simply wanted to screw Cleveland and move to Baltimore? I don't buy that either. Art was a big player in the Cleveland community for a long time. I don't believe he woke up one morning and decided to chuck all of that and move the team.

Actually....he sorta did exactly that. The incentive that he got to move was the 75 million cash payment he was being offered. Essentially when that was made, yes, just about overnight he decided he wanted to move (because that money, supposedly, was going to resolve his debt issue...it didn't).

He was not going to get that kind of a bonus from Cleveland.

It makes no sense to say he was the one who didn't want a new stadium unless it comes from the standpoint that Baltimore now had a new stadium nearly done and the city of Cleveland finally took their dick out of their hand and said, ok , we will build one, and had him wait another 2-3-4 years while that happened.

You have to remember, the need for a new stadium in Cleveland didn't just happen 6 months before the move. The problem was the city felt the Indians or Cavs moving was a far greater risk. I remember talk about the Indians moving in the 60's when I still lived there. The city never thought the Browns would be the team to move. The Browns were the ancor of the sports teams. The Indians and Cavs were top priority because the Browns would never move. LOL

The Indians and the Cavs were the priority because A. the Indians held 81 games.....10 times the number of people coming downtown ...and spending their money that the Browns had, and B. the Cavs played 41 home games....5 times as many as the Browns....plus the arena could be used like 300 days a year for events. So, from an economic standpoint, it is all very logical that those would have priority. I cannot blame the city for that. The "Gateway" project brought at least 381 pay dates to the city...where the football stadium brought 8-10....maybe a few more with special events.

Lot's of wives or husbands move on because the spouse failed to pay close enough attention.

Or because they thought they found a Sugar Daddy or Sugar Momma elsewhere. But sometimes that doesn't turn out so good. Modell shoulda got a prenup...as in about 3-4 years Modell's Sugar Momma kicked him outta the house.

JMO

My issue is that the dome in St. Louis was supposed to have been built with all the bells/whistles and amenities that the fans wanted. It was built with the intention of luring either an expansion team or another team, which is what it did.

So, now, not many years later, it is now deficient? In what way? Is there some documentation that it is deficient?

It seem to be the way things are going Gip. 20 year shelf life for these facilities. EJ Dome is now 20 years old. Plus, their owner is eying moving back to LA- and has a ton of leverage.

It seem to be the way things are going Gip. 20 year shelf life for these facilities. EJ Dome is now 20 years old. Plus, their owner is eying moving back to LA- and has a ton of leverage.

Absurd. Maybe they should have torn down Notre Dame Cathedral 20 times over and built new ones.

Archived