THE BROWNS BOARD

How Close We are

OldBrownsFan

But the Steelers dysfunction is in your imagination and the imagination of other Browns fans, the Browns dysfunction is rampant, long standing and plain and simple fact. I know....facts are a four letter word when it comes to the Browns.

So? I just made up the arrests of Bell and Blount for smoking dope. I just made up the fact that the Steelers unceremoniously dumped a DC who is considered perhaps the best asst. coach in the history of football. I just made up the rape allegations vs. Big Rape.

I created these as figments of my imagination.

No, the Steeler dysfunction is there. It is real. Its just that you have what it takes to make up for it. A franchise QB.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well let's see:

A long standing history of success

A long standing history a being a model franchise

A long standing history of greatness

A long standing history of contention

A long standing history of being what lesser franchises aspire to

A long standing history of consistency

I could go on but I'm sure you have already blanked out the truth and are thinking up your next foolish retort.

The Browns have had all of that in spades over what the Steelers have.

But all that don't do diddly for you, right here, right now.

Right here, right now, it is all about the QB.

Why am I not surprised that you are ignorant of that fact?

In recent years what you have had in those areas have been based on two factors: A great defense run by a great DC and a franchise QB.

Now you no longer have one of those elements.

And we shall see if the other holds up.

Totally agree- as long as you don't go Al Davis and draft Janikowski or Guy in the first round.

I agree with that, but then again, I would be hard pressed to say either was a blown pick. That said, I would probably be uncomfortable if we selected one in the 3rd and probably wouldn't care much if we selected one in the 4th, and am totally good using a 5th rounder on a kicker.

Every team in the NFL has injuries every year. If you could look at the Browns from the outside, it's pretty easy to see the dysfunction, you and most Browns fans simply can't look at it objectively.

The Game is played on the field. See You there and bring those yellow rags to wipe your tears than wipe your ass on the way out. There is a site for you and it's not here go watch Merrill Hodge we can't.C ya.

What's a punter like this one from Alabama worth? The value of having a punter who can put opposing teams consistently in bad field position with great punting? I would think he could be a number one pick. As the Browns try to improve the talent on the team the kicking game cannot be ignored either.

What's a punter like this one from Alabama worth? The value of having a punter who can put opposing teams consistently in bad field position with great punting? I would think he could be a number one pick. As the Browns try to improve the talent on the team the kicking game cannot be ignored either.

i didn't like cundiff and i still don't like lanning.

but a #1?

maybe the first pick in the 4th round.

Yeah that'd suck to have the best kicker in the NFL for 12 years. ...

WSS

Steve- we had one of the best for many years- in Phil Dawson. How many Championships did that get us?

It can't be ignored- but it should be put in perspective. I think you can still count the number of kickers and punters taken in the first two rounds on your fingers. & two of them were by Al Davis.

And the best wr in the NFLwho won us how many games?

And where are our last 12 1st round picks?

WSS

Exactly my thinking. As I said earlier, I can't call selecting Guy or Janokoski blown picks. History tells us otherwise.

As I said, I could see spending a 3rd, though I might have reservations. in the 4th, very few.

Nice article here on being a Browns Fan-thought I would link it to this topic on How Close We Are.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/02/cleveland_browns_envy_and_las.html#incart_story_package

Los Angeles may yet get another team but how frustrating would that be to live in one of the largest cities in the U.S. and see your team move out in 1995 with no replacement in all these years?

Give it a rest, you are being foolish.

And you, as usual, are being ignorant.

When people laugh about the river catching fire,

Really? That is what you got? An event that happened when the Steelers were going 1-13 and any titles they may won were in the future?

Clevlanders scoff because that was eons ago yet the Browns greatness is only a few years newer than that fiasco and you hang on to it like it was yesterday.

Any greatness that the Steelers had is also "yesterday". Your title in 2008 in no different than the Browns in 1964...it is all part of the past.

The only thing that matters now is what happens in 2015.

And, yes...the Steelers prospects are better. Why? Because they now have a QB. And that is it. (but even that QB didn't stop a beat down in the last game played....but it does help overall.)

Browns fans often accuse Steelers fans of thinking that football started in the 70's but the reality of it is that professional football is a "what have you done for me lately" and the Steelers have been the best of the best for 40+ years while the rowns have been one of the very worst for 50+ years. Despite the belief of many Browns fans, football has continued (without the Browns) beyond 1964.

And what part did you have to play in any of that? Not a fucking thing.

Listen, here is a fact: I am superior to you in every way.....except that by accident, your football team has won some titles more recently than mine has.

But, really, the only history that counts is the last game and the next game. So, what happened in that last game?

And what might happen in the next game?

Lotta great kickers/ punters over the years. But only three kickers in HOF and one punter?

There is one more I am aware of but he went in as a safety-Yale Lary

And this will come as a surprise-his punting average was 1.9 yds per punt better over his career than HOF Punter Ray Guy

Also was a punt returner.

And as old Paul Harvey used to say, "And now you know the rest of the story"

YALE LARY
det.gif
Lary_Yale_Induction_180-220.jpg

Class of 1979

Defensive Back >>> 5-11, 185

(Texas A&M)

1952-1953, 1956-1964 Detroit Lions

Robert Yale Lary. . .Major contributor to three Lions championships. . . 11-year fixture at right safety, exceptional punter, long-distance threat on kick returns. . .Lifetime marks show 50 interceptions, 44.3-yard punting average, three NFL punting crowns, three TDs on punt returns. . .All-NFL five years. . .In nine Pro Bowls. . .Third-round pick, 1952. . . Career interrupted by army service. . .Born November 24, 1930, in Fort Worth, Texas.

RAY GUY
oak.gif
Guy-Ray-Bust.jpg

Class of 2014

Punter >>> 6-3, 195

(Southern Mississippi)

1973-1986 Oakland/Los Angeles Raiders

William Ray Guy ... First punter ever selected in first round, Raiders 1973 (23rd player overall) ... Averaged under 40 yards only once in NFL career ... Only three of 1,049 punts blocked ... Career average was 42.4 yards ... All-Pro six straight seasons, 1973-1978 ... All-AFC seven times ... Played in seven Pro Bowls, seven AFC championship games, three Super Bowls ... First punter to hit Louisiana Superdome scoreboard, 1977 Pro Bowl ... Born December 22, 1949, in Swainsboro, Georgia.

- See more at: http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.aspx?PlayerId=262#sthash.07MWb73I.dpuf

I read a comment I thought was interesting. Does continuity breed success or does success breed continuity?

I think continuity does breed success when you have the right people in place. If not you are just spinning your wheels. I think we have the right people in place. Using wins and losses as a gauge we beat expectations last season. We haven't had any continuity since coming back in 99. I hope that is going to change.

It should go without saying that success breeds continuity but it is not necessarily so in the NFL (but it is usually the case).

I think we have the right people in place. Using wins and losses as a gauge we beat expectations last season. We haven't had any continuity since coming back in 99. I hope that is going to change.

i REALLY REALLY REALLY hope so too.

i think haslam>farmer>pettine work well together, and that 3 day 'meeting' or 'summit' leans me to believe that the owner has faith in these guys. hopefully, no matter what the outcome of W-Ls this coming season he doesn't grow a hair trigger like most owners we see nowadays.

no one can gauge growth if you keep cutting the knees out from under them.

i REALLY REALLY REALLY hope so too.

i think haslam>farmer>pettine work well together, and that 3 day 'meeting' or 'summit' leans me to believe that the owner has faith in these guys. hopefully, no matter what the outcome of W-Ls this coming season he doesn't grow a hair trigger like most owners we see nowadays.

no one can gauge growth if you keep cutting the knees out from under them.

That is how I see it too. These guys seem to respect each other and work well with each other. Patience is a word nobody likes but you have to give these guys a little time. We have been running the team too long like a farmer after planting seed continually digging it up to see how it is doing. Give it some time. The important thing is good seed planted. I think we finally have the right coach. I still have confidence in Farmer.

Los Angeles may yet get another team but how frustrating would that be to live in one of the largest cities in the U.S. and see your team move out in 1995 with no replacement in all these years?

Trust me... The number of people who truly care about LA getting a NFL team wouldn't fill the Q.

Why don't they just call them the Southern California or Golden State or the LA Chargers of San Diego or some such nonsense and put them in Orange Co.? Halfway between SD and LA. Solves both cities problem.

Certainly could. I always thought that's what the Clippers should do to get out of LA and under the Lakers. For the Chargers though, there's no way a stadium gets built anywhere in OC either. LA is the only option in terms of land and where the NFL wants the team.

Archived