THE BROWNS BOARD

How Close We are

OldBrownsFan

1 September 7 1:00 p.m. at Pittsburgh Steelers L 27–30 0–1 Heinz Field CBS Recap

2 September 14 1:00 p.m. New Orleans Saints W 26–24 1–1 FirstEnergy Stadium Fox Recap

3 September 21 1:00 p.m. Baltimore Ravens L 21–23 1–2 FirstEnergy Stadium CBS Recap

4 Bye 5 October 5 1:00 p.m. at Tennessee Titans W 29–28 2–2 LP Field CBS Recap

6 October 12 1:00 p.m. Pittsburgh Steelers W 31–10 3–2 FirstEnergy Stadium CBS Recap

7 October 19 1:00 p.m. at Jacksonville Jaguars L 6–24 3–3 EverBank Field CBS Recap

8 October 26 4:25 p.m. Oakland Raiders W 23–13 4–3 FirstEnergy Stadium CBS Recap

9 November 2 1:00 p.m. Tampa Bay Buccaneers W 22–17 5–3 FirstEnergy Stadium Fox Recap

10 November 6 8:25 p.m. at Cincinnati Bengals W 24–3 6–3 Paul Brown Stadium NFLN[A]Recap

11 November 16 1:00 p.m. Houston Texans L 7–23 6–4 FirstEnergy Stadium CBS Recap

12 November 23 1:00 p.m. at Atlanta Falcons W 26–24 7–4 Georgia Dome CBS Recap

13 November 30 1:00 p.m. at Buffalo Bills L 10–26 7–5 Ralph Wilson Stadium CBS Recap

14 December 7 1:00 p.m. Indianapolis Colts L 24–25 7–6 FirstEnergy Stadium Fox[B]Recap

15 December 14 1:00 p.m. Cincinnati Bengals L 0–30 7–7 FirstEnergy Stadium Fox[B]Recap

16 December 21 1:00 p.m. at Carolina Panthers L 13–17 7–8 Bank of America Stadium CBS Recap

17 December 28 1:00 p.m. at Baltimore Ravens L 10–20 7–9 M&T Bank Stadium CBS Recap

When I look over the past season I see just how close this team is to being a play off team. The first 4 games alone we could have started the season at 4-0 instead of 2-2. Actually after the bye week we beat the Steelers so 5-0 to start the season was possible. Probably the toughest loss for me was the Colts game where our defense tried to hand the game to us on a silver platter. We have a tougher schedule next year but what I am also looking at is how we compare with the rest of the division and I think we are right there.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure why this happens so often through different coaches/GMs/players/owners.....but the end of the season swoon seems to always hit the Browns.

Sometime decent....but then 2/3rds through.....the wheels fall off and they lose like the last 4-5 games of the season.

Except for one-two years (mangini year?) where they won the last 4-5 games of the season.

In fact, here it is for the last 10 seasons:

2006 lost last 4 games

2007 went 10-6 won 3 of 4 last games...but critical loss to Bengals

2008 lost last 6 games

2009 Went 1-11, then won last 4.....the aberration?

2010 started 5-7, lost last 4

2011 lost last 6

2012 lost last 3

2013 started 4-5 lost last 7

2014 started 7-4 lost last 5

Not sure why this happens so often through different coaches/GMs/players/owners.....but the end of the season swoon seems to always hit the Browns.

Sometime decent....but then 2/3rds through.....the wheels fall off and they lose like the last 4-5 games of the season.

Except for one-two years (mangini year?) where they won the last 4-5 games of the season.

In fact, here it is for the last 10 seasons:

2006 lost last 4 games

2007 went 10-6 won 3 of 4 last games...but critical loss to Bengals

2008 lost last 6 games

2009 Went 1-11, then won last 4.....the aberration?

2010 started 5-7, lost last 4

2011 lost last 6

2012 lost last 3

2013 started 4-5 lost last 7

2014 started 7-4 lost last 5

A 10-6 record usually gets a team into the playoffs but not in 07. I remember that a win by the Colts would have put us in the playoffs but going into that game was the concern the Colts would sit out some of their starters against the Titans being the last game of the season with nothing to play for. I thought the worse case scenario if Manning doesn't play the Colts might have enough talent to win anyway. LOL. A guy I worked with at the time was a Colts fan and warned me how bad the Colts back up QB was and he didn't disappoint.

Yes, but it doesn't explain everything.

Explained the death of 2014 as far as I am concerned. I would agree that it might not explain every year you listed, but I'd bet it would the majority of them.

2014 - Mack

2013 - Hoyer

2012 - Fujita

2011 - Ward/ Fujita

2010 - Fujita/ DQ

2009 - DQ/ Jamaal/ Pool/ Rogers

Pro-Football-Reference doesn't have records earlier than 2008, '08 was almost certainly on Crennel's exodus.

Game 1 at Pitts. Win if D shows up 1st half. Game 3 vs Balt. Damn you Billy Cundiff. Game 6 at Jax. A QB from Mich. playing RB ran all over us inexcusable and O. That would have made us 9 and 0. That's how close.. Be Consistent Week to Week both side of the ball period. Uncle Moe mentum would have carried us the rest of the way to playoffs..

Game 1 at Pitts. Win if D shows up 1st half. Game 3 vs Balt. Damn you Billy Cundiff. Game 6 at Jax. A QB from Mich. playing RB ran all over us inexcusable and O. That would have made us 9 and 0. That's how close.. Be Consistent Week to Week both side of the ball period. Uncle Moe mentum would have carried us the rest of the way to playoffs..

Cundiff cost us in the Colts game too. A kicker has got to make the field goals they are supposed to make. I like this Hartley they brought in but from what I have been told his leg strength is questionable. The turning point of the season may have been when Mack went out injured or it was just a coincidence after he went out our running game vanished? As for our play off hopes I think the killer game was against the Colts. For myself at this point I had lost patience with our offense inability to score points. We should have won this game.

Yes, we are close. It sucked losing the last 3 home games- good teams protect the home turf.

My concern for 2015 besides the QB is learning yet another offensive scheme. I'm not worried about the schedule at all- if they're good enough they'll win.

On the schedule - while teams stay roughly the same, there are always teams like Hosuton, Washington, Atlanta, etc. that go from playoff team to bottom feeder in one offseason. All it takes is for the QB to develop a case of the Schaubs, or the D to not work anymore, for example.

I think there are good arguments to be made for resigning Hoyer, naming him the starting QB and letting Manziel try to beat him out in preseason and work on the defense and maybe another O lineman and WR. There are good arguments to try and get a QB like Mariota. Good arguments to get a veteran QB. There may not be a right or wrong answer at this time (hindsight is always 20/20) but whatever we decide maybe we will get lucky. We are due.

Actually take luck out of it. I hope they just weigh all the options out and make the decision based on that.

When you count the close losses as possible wins you also have to count the close wins as possible losses.

I think it's because somewhere around the 2/3 mark the dysfunction starts to be visible to the players. They can't buy the rah rah stuff anymore because they see the cluster fuck around them and without that spark of hope they simply lose out.

Well, I agree that the dysfunction starts.....but I don't think you have a clue as to what causes it any more than anyone else. Injuries do come into play, but also a general ennui seems to descend.

Cundiff cost us in the Colts game too. A kicker has got to make the field goals they are supposed to make. I like this Hartley they brought in but from what I have been told his leg strength is questionable. The turning point of the season may have been when Mack went out injured or it was just a coincidence after he went out our running game vanished? As for our play off hopes I think the killer game was against the Colts. For myself at this point I had lost patience with our offense inability to score points. We should have won this game.

Spot on with Mack, lead to Hoyer not being accurate with no time and no running game ask JF in Natty and for your Colt game again, Damn You Billy (all you got to do is kick) Cundiff...

Spot on with Mack, lead to Hoyer not being accurate with no time and no running game ask JF in Natty and for your Colt game again, Damn You Billy (all you got to do is kick) Cundiff...

Nobody has said anything about our kicking game just our special teams in general but does the club need to go out and get a kicker? I think when a kicker misses field goals they should make (40 yard and less) that is a huge momentum stopper. A team drives down the field to at least earn the 3 points they deserve and come away empty. Hartley at least makes the ones he should.

How close are we? I think with a top 10 quarterback we'd have had a lot more success. We'd have most likely won the earlier close games and had a bigger margin in the close losses. The Indianapolis game? Yes Billy Cundiff should have made the field goal. But while we are pointing fingers maybe a couple more complete passes would have helped too.

WSS

I'll play the devil's advocate here.

The Browns went 2-7 against teams which finished the season with a >.500 record, 5-2 against teams which finished with a <.500 record.

Out of the 16 games next season, 5 of them are against teams which won 8 games or fewer this season. Of these 5, San Francisco is a big question mark and beating the Rams in St Louis is always a tough ask. Of the remaining 11 games, 9 of them are against playoff teams and the remaining two, Chargers and Chiefs (9 win teams), are both on the road.

If the Browns don't improve their play against teams with a winning record, I'm afraid they'll struggle to even match this season's record.

Nobody has said anything about our kicking game just our special teams in general but does the club need to go out and get a kicker? I think when a kicker misses field goals they should make (40 yard and less) that is a huge momentum stopper. A team drives down the field to at least earn the 3 points they deserve and come away empty. Hartley at least makes the ones he should.

No doubt, field position is big to us with our offense that can't get 1st downs at the worst time. Colts got the ball back due to 3 and outs. Hartley sign 2 year till 2016 and we signed a kid from Vandy Casey after the season. Hartley on kickoff's cannot reach the end zone, so that tells me no leg strength on long FG's. At this point, 2 Good K in Draft, but as road workers say "to many holes to fill overnite" and Rnds. 5,6 and 7 with a K on the board will get overrode for other needs. It's more than likely to be the "After Dawson Plan". Auditions will include FA's and cuts from other teams. Hope for better than Hartley or your's and our Field position nightmare's may continue...

I think we look to bring in some competition at the position. Possibly draft one. I know Gumby thinks we won't draft one in the later rounds, but in the scheme of things, what's better when you have a need, the 27th best linebacker or DT or the 1st or 2nd best kicker prospect? Which guy stands the best chance of sticking and making a positive impact on the team?

I have no problem drafting a kicker. I don't know all the kicker prospects, but if the kid is good, I have no problem plucking one in the 3rd-4th round. Kickers are pretty easy to guage, and if you get your guy, you can possibly keep him 22 years. You don't get that at many positions.

I think we look to bring in some competition at the position. Possibly draft one. I know Gumby thinks we won't draft one in the later rounds, but in the scheme of things, what's better when you have a need, the 27th best linebacker or DT or the 1st or 2nd best kicker prospect? Which guy stands the best chance of sticking and making a positive impact on the team?

I have no problem drafting a kicker. I don't know all the kicker prospects, but if the kid is good, I have no problem plucking one in the 3rd-4th round. Kickers are pretty easy to guage, and if you get your guy, you can possibly keep him 22 years. You don't get that at many positions.

I just like the idea of us getting an above average kicker. Get a good kicker and they will pay dividends for many years.

," but in the scheme of things, what's better when you have a need, the 27th best linebacker or DT or the 1st or 2nd best kicker prospect? Which guy stands the best chance of sticking and making a positive impact on the team?"

I agree .

I'll play the devil's advocate here.

The Browns went 2-7 against teams which finished the season with a >.500 record, 5-2 against teams which finished with a <.500 record.

Out of the 16 games next season, 5 of them are against teams which won 8 games or fewer this season. Of these 5, San Francisco is a big question mark and beating the Rams in St Louis is always a tough ask. Of the remaining 11 games, 9 of them are against playoff teams and the remaining two, Chargers and Chiefs (9 win teams), are both on the road.

If the Browns don't improve their play against teams with a winning record, I'm afraid they'll struggle to even match this season's record.

It is a lot tougher schedule but I am also looking at how the Browns compare to the other teams in our division and I saw all the teams in our division as being bunched together with no team standing head and shoulders over any other team.

Totally agree- as long as you don't go Al Davis and draft Janikowski or Guy in the first round.

Come on man, you can't possibly believe this? If Shani was the dysfunction then the Browns should be good to go now that he is gone......right? No Josh Gordon dysfunction.....no Johnny Manziel dysfunction....... no QB dysfunction.......no text gate dysfunction.....no patchwork coaching staff dysfunction..... no meddling owner dysfunction.....no laughable draft history dysfunction.....

It's so Cleveland to say that the guy who wanted out was the dysfunction but the common denominator is the Browns; and they have decades of history that proves it.

If Pettine got the coaches he wanted I'm good with that. Shannahan is chronic complainer, I am not unhappy to see him gone. I don't blame the Browns for Gordon's actions. The Browns did make a terrible pick with Manziel. We have had more problems than other NFL teams in nailing down a starting quarterback. The owner is new. If he has made some mistakes I give him enough credit he will learn from them.

A huge problem for the Browns has been stability and continuity. The team of Haslam, Farmer and Pettine has been working together for a year. I want to see where we are at in three years.

Every team in the NFL has injuries every year. If you could look at the Browns from the outside, it's pretty easy to see the dysfunction, you and most Browns fans simply can't look at it objectively.

We see the dysfunction in the Browns...

but all that dysfunction would go away with just 2-3 prime time players. Particularly a qb.

The Steelers are more dysfunctional. Your canning DC LeBeau when he didn't want to leave is a fuck of a lot bigger loss than our losing OC Shanahan. We had our WR get suspended for second hand smoke. Your entire backfield engaged in tag team toking.

Your rapist got over on it....and he is the sole reason essentially that your team now performs well. And that means everything.

Basically the same can be said about the Pats. Spygate, Deflategate. Triple Murderergate. But they have Tom Brady...and that means everything.

Come on man, you can't possibly believe this? If Shani was the dysfunction then the Browns should be good to go now that he is gone......right? No Josh Gordon dysfunction.....no Johnny Manziel dysfunction....... no QB dysfunction.......no text gate dysfunction.....no patchwork coaching staff dysfunction..... no meddling owner dysfunction.....no laughable draft history dysfunction.....

It's so Cleveland to say that the guy who wanted out was the dysfunction but the common denominator is the Browns; and they have decades of history that proves it.

Again, no bigger problems than your team and others have. But whattayou got that we ain't got?

A fucking franchise Quarterback.

See another thread where the Browns have had some of the most productive drafts over a few year period. Your team is more draft dysfunctional than ours.

But we don't have a fucking QB.

It makes all the difference.

You are ignorant if you think otherwise.

Archived