THE BROWNS BOARD

mock draft thread

Westside Steve

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/sports/The-2015-NBC-7-NFL-Mock-Draft-299432451.html

I don't like this one.

Passing on a rare NT is a bad idea, but maybe Farmer has been blowing smoke about a WR in one.

WSS

Ugh....not only did he pass on shelton for a WR, but he also picked Armstead...who will be a massive bust(heck, wasn't even good in college).....

here's the first paragraph from that Mock, which should have been the clue that this mock was clue(less).....

"""I have never put together a mock draft for anything before in my entire life, but as usually happens, curiosity finally got the best of me. So, after reading multiple other mock drafts and realizing I probably can't possibly sound too much less educated than everybody else on this subject, let's give this a whirl."""

... but it had some funny moments:

"21 - CIN: Andrus Peat, OT, Stanford

Peat has the makings of a solid, dependable tackle. Exactly the kind of guy the Bengals need to 11-5 and watch Andy Dalton throw 4 interceptions in playoff loss."

After reading about Mingo's shoulder and weight issues, I'm thinking OLB is our biggest need. Yes, even bigger than NT. they could pick up Brown at 19 and hope a good OLB/DE falls to them at 12. WR or TE in the second round.

After reading about Mingo's shoulder and weight issues, I'm thinking OLB is our biggest need. Yes, even bigger than NT. they could pick up Brown at 19 and hope a good OLB/DE falls to them at 12. WR or TE in the second round.

Again, Brown won't be there at 19. He won't make it past San Fran.

Again, Brown won't be there at 19. He won't make it past San Fran.

I have yet to see a poll where Brown is taken before 19. SF will go defense but I'm thinking OLB or CB. This is a deep draft for defense

Let's say the Browns go DL/OL in the first round. As they meet at the end of the first day, they have 8 picks (which is a lot) and some interesting options in round 2 with WR's: Agholor, Strong, Green-Beckman Coates, Devon Smith TE: Maxx, QB: Petty, Hundley, Grayson, the Browns could trade up and take their highest rated QB on the board. That would be an interesting move. I see us addressing QB, TE, and WR in rounds 2-4. I don't think they go DL/OL in round one but OLB/DL instead.

This is an odd year for me for quarterbacks. I've stated my support for Winston, Mariota, Hundley and Petty. I truly think each one of them will become a viable NFL starter - to what level is to be determined.

This draft could be similar to the 2004 NFL Draft - where Manning, Rivers, Roethlisberger, Losman and Schaub were all drafted...with Winston and Mariota assuming the roles of Manning and Rivers and Hundley, Grayson and Petty fighting over who gets to be Roethlisberger, Losman or Schaub.

So, how do you rank them (in terms of who will have the best career) and what would be your prime scenario?

Personally, I rank them:

Mariota
Winston
Hundley
Petty
Grayson

As much as I want Mariota, though, I think the absolute best situation for the Browns would be solidifying the DL, adding a playmaking WR, adding a bookend tackle, and then taking a run on Petty in the third.

My perfect scenario would be

Round 1 Pick 12: Danny Shelton, DT
Round 1 Pick 19: Andrus Peat, OT
Round 2 Pick 11: Eric Kendricks, ILB or Bernardrick McKinney, ILB
Round 3 Pick 13: Bryce Petty, QB,
Round 4 Pick 12: Tyler Kroft, TE of Jeff Heuerman, TE
Round 4 Pick 16: Kwon Alexander, OLB

I did this mock and took players based solely on playmaking ability and potential, rather than proven production, transferability of skills, etc.

Round 1 Pick 12: Amari Cooper, WR, Alabama
Round 1 Pick 19: Arik Armstead, DT/DE, Oregon
Round 2 Pick 11: D.J. Humphries, OT, Florida
Round 3 Pick 13: Bryce Petty, QB, Baylor
Round 4 Pick 12: Tyler Kroft, TE, Rutgers
Round 4 Pick 16: Chris Conley, WR, Georgia

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25152515/nfl-mock-draft-50-eagles-trade-twice-to-land-marcus-mariota

I'm on my phone and out and about so I didn't look at it in great detail BUT the gist seems to be trading with the eagles and acquiring Sam Bradford and drafting the big tackle Collins in the first. Really not a terrible scenario if teams have faith in his knees. The trade spit balls 12th overall for Bradford and the eagles third. Bradford despite the injuries doesn't have a ton of wear and tear otherwise and he's a high character guy. Interesting scenario.

Edit: although are the browns down on Schwartz? Unless someone projects to the interior.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25152515/nfl-mock-draft-50-eagles-trade-twice-to-land-marcus-mariota

I'm on my phone and out and about so I didn't look at it in great detail BUT the gist seems to be trading with the eagles and acquiring Sam Bradford and drafting the big tackle Collins in the first. Really not a terrible scenario if teams have faith in his knees. The trade spit balls 12th overall for Bradford and the eagles third. Bradford despite the injuries doesn't have a ton of wear and tear otherwise and he's a high character guy. Interesting scenario.

Edit: although are the browns down on Schwartz? Unless someone projects to the interior.

That's a nightmare situation, in my opinon.

I think the view is that Mitch, while limited, is quite serviceable at RT. Collins or any high OT makes no sense to me as Mitch cannot beat out any of our interior guys and Joe T ain't going anywhere for a while.

I think the view is that Mitch, while limited, is quite serviceable at RT. Collins or any high OT makes no sense to me as Mitch cannot beat out any of our interior guys and Joe T ain't going anywhere for a while.

I researched Collins a little bit last night and it seems scouts believe he can play across the entire line at a high level. He's regarded as one of the safest picks in the draft.

I wouldn't mind a bookend RT. Joe might not be going anywhere soon, but he's also not invincible. Adding an "elite" level RT gives us the freedom and peace of mind to move him to the left in case of injury.

Mitch is serviceable, but if Thomas goes down, we'll have nothing but a serviceable RT and backups.

Adding a top-tier RT gives us competition on the interior, depth at T, and an insurance policy in case we lose our best player.

I'd rather address T early than G.

TC, here's why I go the other way...

I only see Mitch suited to RT. So if we draft an OT that's who Mitch backs up. Granted the drafted RT at 19 might fill in adequately at LT, but that's a "might" scenario.

On the other hand, if we get quality depth at OG/C, then we not only can back up those positions, but can also free our best LT replacement to move to LT should Joe go down... and as I said last year, that best replacement option is Bito.

Add that I see so much value in Rounds 2 - 3 for the interior line... Marpet (2/3), Dismukes (3), Sambraillo (3)... even Morse (4) or Glowinski (4/5)...

Once I start down this path, it further enables trading down #19 netting additional 2nd and/or 3rd round picks.

All the above is still ignoring Painter and Bowie (and Barton)... who can only help any scenario, if there is anything to them.

All the above is still ignoring Painter and Bowie (and Barton)... who can only help any scenario, if there is anything to them.

And I have a sneaky suspicion that no OT get's picked this year and Bowie is gonna be the man.....I think the Browns really like him.....and if he was good enough to start for the SB winners, then he should be able to start here too.....right?

And, if thats the case, Schwartz could end up being the best bu in the league....

And I have a sneaky suspicion that no OT get's picked this year and Bowie is gonna be the man.....I think the Browns really like him.....and if he was good enough to start for the SB winners, then he should be able to start here too.....right?

And, if thats the case, Schwartz could end up being the best bu in the league....

And quality depth is one of the few things keeping the Cleveland Browns from the upper echelon.

WSS

TC, here's why I go the other way...

I only see Mitch suited to RT. So if we draft an OT that's who Mitch backs up. Granted the drafted RT at 19 might fill in adequately at LT, but that's a "might" scenario.

On the other hand, if we get quality depth at OG/C, then we not only can back up those positions, but can also free our best LT replacement to move to LT should Joe go down... and as I said last year, that best replacement option is Bito.

Add that I see so much value in Rounds 2 - 3 for the interior line... Marpet (2/3), Dismukes (3), Sambraillo (3)... even Morse (4) or Glowinski (4/5)...

Once I start down this path, it further enables trading down #19 netting additional 2nd and/or 3rd round picks.

This scenario makes sense.

Archived