THE BROWNS BOARD

The Gipper's Guide to America

The Gipper

Thanks gip. I had toyed with the idea of a lake erie tour, I think if I go from one end to the other (detroit to niagara), and have to drive back again, I might as well go the other way around.

That would be OK too. You probably get better, cheaper flights from the UK to Toronto.

In checking I see that I still have quite a number of "battlefield" or at least "war related" National Parks units which I have not been to. Here is a list of some I would like to visit at some point:

Revolutionary War related sites: Boston NHP (Bunker Hill, Old North Church). George Rogers Clark (Indiana)

War of 1812: Horseshoe Bend (really a battle with Creek Indians, but 1812 related)

Going here in few weeks.

Civil War: Pea Ridge, Ark. Andersonville Ga. Ft. Scott Kan., Peco, New Mex.

Going to Andersonville as well at end of Feb.

Indian Wars: Fort Smith Ark. Sand Creek Massacre, Colo. Fort Larned, Kan., Big Hole Battlefield, Mont., Washita Battlefield, Okla., Knife River, North Dak.

I have since been to both the Big Hole and Washita.

WWII: Tuskeegee Airmen Ala, Port Chicago Cal. Rosie the Riveter Cal., War in the Pacific, Guam.. Minidoka, Idaho (Japanese Internment camp)

Also going to the Tuskeegee Airmen site.

Cold War: Minuteman Missile NHP, South Dakota.

I will be visiting the Big Hole battlefield in a couple of weeks....plus I may make a return trip to The Little Bighorn.

I could stay with relatives. I have several cousins near there. Croydon for sure. Northhampton. An aunt by marriage still lives near Liverpool. My Gillingham and Chatham connections are gone though.

Well, Croydon's almost London I suppose ;)

By american standards the rest are definitely not. If you're around, give me a shout and I'll buy you some cold fizzy tasteless piss, or a real beer.

Well, Croydon's almost London I suppose ;)

By american standards the rest are definitely not. If you're around, give me a shout and I'll buy you some cold fizzy tasteless piss, or a real beer.

Probably not happening any time soon........but when you are in Cleveland, could be so.

• 2 weeks later...

People - I have tentative plans to visit Cedar Point for a few days later in the year (may get pushed to 2017). Obviously, swinging by for a Browns game is a must, but is there anything else in the area? I suspect we would end up flying in to detroit as it's direct for us, picking up a car and going from there, in a round trip. I suspect Niagara is on the list as well, and maybe Toronto.

Anything I might not know about worth taking a look at? Nature and astronomy would be a big plus as well.

Cedar Point is very close to put-in-bay where Westside Steve plays a great deal of the summer.

www.westsidesteve.com

• 3 weeks later...

Recently visited several National Park Units in Alabama and Georgia:

Little River Canyon National Preserve, northeast Ala. Canyon, river, waterfalls, wildlife

Horseshoe Bend National Military Park: Site where Andrew Jackson battled Creek Indians and wiped out about 1000 of them.

Tuskeegee Institute National Historic site. College founded by Booker T. Washington....and where George Washington Carver spent his career. The two men are buried only like 40 feet apart.

Tuskeegee Airmen NHS: Site where the training of the "Red Tails" occurred, black fighter pilots during WWII

Jimmy Carter NHS: Site of boyhood home of Carter

Andersonville NHS: Site of Confederate POW camp....where like almost one out of three prisoners that were held there would die.

Ocmulgee NHS: site of prehistoric native American "mound city"

Selma to Montgomery National Trail. Commemorates the 1964 Civil right march that resulted in the Voting Rights Act.

Also went to south of Tallahassee to the St. Mark's Wildlife Refuge to try to see Whooping Cranes. Could not see them but saw plenty of herons, ibises, and gators.

• 3 weeks later...

Please all feel free to post here some of your own travel adventures including photos if you can.

I drove OTR and seen a lot. I always liked a city at night and driving in it really late. It's all lit up and traffic is ok. I would say Houston was really cool but got this "I'm far from home feeling". Seeing New York from the river was awesome.

I got lost really good in Wichita, KS. It was the land before cell phones and GPS and had directions on paper. A couple of months later someone asked if I knew Wichita and I said something like, " ya I been all over Wichita".

I had the time of my life at a tavern in Philly with some gang bangers that worked for a guy that loaded my trailor. It was a rough place and if I showed you where I backed into even I wouldn't believe it if someone told me.

All in all it was good for me to get back home for good.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

How long do you think it would take to do Yosemite? I get you could spend forever (and trust me, I'd love that but no time) but is a day enough, a week, a month?

You can hit the highlights more or less in a day. But if you had two you could get a little more in depth. If you had a week you could cover almost all of Yosemite and Sequoia as well.

When are you going?

October-ish.

One issue with October....and I know this from personal experience because the two times I have been to Yosemite it was in October. At that time of year the "spigot is turned off". By that I mean, there are wonderful waterfalls in Yosemite. But toward the end of summer and into fall the streams that feed these waterfalls dry up because of lack of precipitation. Upper and Lower Yosemite Falls...nothing. Bridal Veil Falls is just a trickle. Don't get me wrong, the scenery is still spectacular...its just that the waterfalls are dormant. When I go back there sometimes I would hope to go earlier in the summer or in spring.

Cysco is going in May? That should be a good time for full waterfall action. October, nyet.

• 1 month later...

What a trip fellas. Highly recommended. I've spent the last two weeks in Northern California. Armstrong Redwoods state Park, Goat Rock beach, Point Reyes national Seashore and Today and the rest of the week I spent (will be spending) at Yosemite. A killer drive to be sure, but so f'ng worth it. I'm going to need a vacation from vacation.