THE BROWNS BOARD

DawgPoundDaily - Browns showing interest in ILB Denzel Perryman

WalterWhite

I would be happy if we got him, I wouldn't take him with our first pick though. At #19 yes, and in the 2nd round he;d be a steal

White doesn't have elite top end, but he gets to his high gear in a few strides.

Fact is, some of the very best WR's in NFL history were not by any stretch "burners".

A couple interesting ones that may fall to the 2nd or even 3rd round are Funchess (6-5") and Devin Smith(deep baller, extraordinaire!!)....

Funchess might fall to the 2nd round because of his hands, Devin because there are times he's allergic to blocking and aside from the vertical threat its hard to get a gauge on his abilities in the full route tree.

If either falls to the second, I'd prefer Devin. Not simply because of tOSU thing, because he's a speed vertical threat and his hands have been far more consistent throughout his career than Funchess.

I agree on speed. Overrated.

No doubt slow receivers don't work, but quickness and the ability to juke a bit to get open are far more mportant IMO. Just a shoulder dip and slight head turn the other way are usually enough to gain seperation from the defender.

Whatever happened to receivers working to get open rather than simply running a route and hope they get open?

Never hurts to have at least one burner that can take the top off a D... assuming you have a QB that cannot be outrun. But no, speed alone is not enough... think Benji.

A couple interesting ones that may fall to the 2nd or even 3rd round are Funchess (6-5") and Devin Smith(deep baller, extraordinaire!!)....

Funchess as a part-time, hybrid TE now, a role he likely will grow into full-time in the future, is more interesting than he is as a pure WR.

Smith in Rnd 2 is very interesting. Not only has speed, but is also a great 50/50 ball guy for his size.

Never hurts to have at least one burner that can take the top off a D... assuming you have a QB that cannot be outrun. But no, speed alone is not enough... think Benji.

Funchess as a part-time, hybrid TE now, a role he likely will grow into full-time in the future, is more interesting than he is as a pure WR.

Smith in Rnd 2 is very interesting. Not only has speed, but is also a great 50/50 ball guy for his size.

The huge problem with Funchess is he has miserable hands. People love his size but he has Greg Little-esque drops. He's going to go in the 2nd round or so cause of his size and what not but I don't want to see dropped passes again. I still have nightmares of Greg Little dropping a wide open pass and talking crap when he finally caught a 3 yard gainer on 3rd and 8.

Yeah...not sure on where Funchess is best....he was "better" as a TE than WR.....

I guess anyone that gets considered for the mid - later rounds is gonna have issues....Smith and Funchess included.

Im really trying to fill the void on our receiving corp, as we dont have a deep threat/burner or a big rangy type to go up and get it....Funchess fills that void(esp with Cameron possibly leaving).......

And Smith has a mind numbing 28 yd average per catch....and 12 td's in 33 catches......extraordinary numbers......WOW!!!

The way things go with the media, by draft day, Smith could be wayyyyyy up there.....

Archived