THE BROWNS BOARD

Gordon Fails Again

mdmusch

While you can feel sorry for him I cannot. As an adult, you have to take personal responsibility for your life and choices.

Everyone deserves second chances, but not third fourth and fifth chances. The guy had a shot to do what so many kids dream of. There are kids who would nearly die for his opportunity just to play.

Should I feel bad for a fool who continually makes the same mistakes... FOR YEARS! A fool who had the opportunity to make millions of dollars to play a game. A fool who chose alcohol and weed over his opportunity?

No. I don't feel an ounce of sadness. He had plenty of opportunities to turn things around. He was the same clown in Baylor.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Josh is an addict and needs to seek counseling and professional help.

This is more sad than anything.

Then again, he fucked his teammates and this fanbase royally with his addiction.

I really hope they cut him to show an example that behavior won't be tolerated, and yes, that includes the bullshit Manziel has been doing.

And for those clamoring about it isn't fair for the NFL to impose such strict rules

1. No one made those kids join the league. They could have decided to work elsewhere.

2. Its a private company. They can have their employee policy however they seem fit. Disney used to not let men have beards.

3. Risk reward. The NFL highly compensates its employees. Either follow their rules, which are not all that our of whack if you keep your shit straight. Or don't and find employment elsewhere.

Josh is an addict and needs to seek counseling and professional help.

This is more sad than anything.

Then again, he fucked his teammates and this fanbase royally with his addiction.

I really hope they cut him to show an example that behavior won't be tolerated, and yes, that includes the bullshit Manziel has been doing.

Labelling Flash an addict is a bit much. He's probably not the sharpest tool in the shed, but is escapades to date don't resemble those of an addicts. No one gets addicted to weed. While an addict might use weed, they normally are searching for something stronger. And as for alcoholism, Flash seems to have made extremely poor decisions with the use of alcohol. Who hasn't?

These "Draconian" rules aren't too much of a hassle for most of the players in the league. Puffy is free to find employment elsewhere that has easier rules in regards to drugs.

And 99% of slaves accepted their condition and didn't try to escape.......so I guess that made slavery OK and not draconian?

I am sorry but I have to disagree with your thought here. There are a lot of people with loved ones who are departed early due to people right around that legal limit. While you may think you aren't impaired when you are at or above the limit a hell of a lot of tests say you are. Sure there are exceptions to all rules but in general I am right.

To the point of the rules being "Draconian" plenty of us live under similar rules and do just fine. We may not like them or agree with them but we deal with it out of a sense of responsibility. Plenty of us might like to smoke a few joints BUT we prioritize our careers that subsequently feed and house our families. It is all about priorities.

But that does NOT mean that you cannot perform your job because you toked or drank a little....And to a great extent the ONLY responsibility you have in certain situations is a responsibility TO THE RULES.

There is a rule.....and it is your responsibility to obey the rule........but what if the fucking rule is stupid? Some of these rules are there not because of any need...but merely to be a rule in and of itself. But many of these rules have absolutely NO purpose associated with what that person is doing.

If a person is drunk or high while he is performing on the field......that is understandable.....there should be a rule. But that is not the rule. The rule is.....thou shalt not ever take a drink or smoke a joint....irregardless of whether that action has any effect on performance.

If you drive drunk/high....absolutely punish a person.

But in this state it is mandatory to suspend a person driver's license merely for possessing Marijuana. What is the purpose of that rule.......a rule that I as a magistrate must uphold. But face it, that rule is purely punitive, confiscatory.....not related at all to the crime of possessing dope. Suspend a license because they drive drunk/high.....absolutley.

Pretty much the same here. These guys are not suspended because they play high/drunk.......They are being punished for using......regardless if they are addicts or not.

Labelling Flash an addict is a bit much. He's probably not the sharpest tool in the shed, but is escapades to date don't resemble those of an addicts. No one gets addicted to weed. While an addict might use weed, they normally are searching for something stronger. And as for alcoholism, Flash seems to have made extremely poor decisions with the use of alcohol. Who hasn't?

You dont have to be addicted to a specific thing to be considered an addict.......addictive behavior is as dangerous(and destructive) as being a drug addict, yet it is a totally different thing.....

So, no one is saying he's a drug addict......but he CLEARLY displays addictive behavior.....

Bottom line.....if there is a negative behavior that prevents you from functioning in a normal environment or performing routine duties(like your job, for instance)....and you are unable to control that behavior.....and you are unable to stop that behavior.....then you're displaying the behavior of an addict.....

People are addicted to all types of things that are not inherently addictive......sex, stealing, lying, cheating, drinking, smoking, eating, etc....if it's destructive and you cant stop.....then, by definition, it's an addiction.....

I have agreed previously on the lack of evidence supporting addiction.

Knowing that Josh has averaged over two tests per week for over a year, I believed that an "addict" does not pass 100+ tests.

But now I don't know...

Codeine... weed... alcohol... different substances, but same pattern? Addictive personality?

Agree on the NFL being out of step with this policy, but the trigger level (0.06%) is far from a one beer BAL. This is not close to the travesty that was the failed weed test. Josh worked at this fail. He rolled the dice and they came up craps.

Rules are rules, even if stupid. He knew what the rules were and what would happen if he was caught. Sucks to have to stay away from a legal substance like alcohol, but if you had a DUI and that's your employer's rules, you follow them or pay the consequences. You can fight to have them changed too, but this isn't the way to do it.

Goodbye Josh. You don't have to go home but you can't stay here.

Yeah?

Well I guess if you caught somebody driving his car after a couple beers its ok to take his livelihood away, right? Let us not pretend that the legal limit is that big a deal okay? We realize it's a revenue tactic. Seems kind of draconian to me.

WSS

that was well put. I too usually don't give a shit about a little weed or whatever, but if you're under DUI probation than I have zero sympathy. He obviously showed up to work in Berea and somebody was like that dude looks hungover. And this was during the season. No understanding from me whatsoever.

I would say failing numerous drug test yes your a addict!

I do not get all this poor josh he is being done so wrong crap. He screwed himself nobody else did- he screwed his fellow players and the fan base i have no sympathy for him.

Now i see a report he is confused may not have known what he was doing was a violation all i can say is LMAOOOOO yeah right.

The rules that Gordon were under for drinking alcohol are not ones for most NFL players. These rules against alcohol are reserved for those like Gordon who get convicted of DUI offenses. It all comes back to individual responsibility.

Very well stated. As one who had a very good friend killed by a drunk, I have no sympathy for someone who got a DUI and continues to drink. Sorry but that went to the grave with my friend.

Can this be fairly said:

That the NFL rules are completely Draconian and out of whack such that a guy that tokes a teeny tiny bit of dope, and maybe has a beer has to lose his career for two years.

And don't fucking tell me "its the rules". I interpret and enforce rules and laws all the time.

Should such rules be so out of whack with basic human justice?

I mean, what is this: The Terror.....and who is Gordon? Fucking Jean Valjean?

Then don't sign a contract. It's that simple. Nobody was forcing him to play in the NFL.

He can have a perfectly good career at Target, or Walmart, or Best Buy where they don't have a drug test policy...oh, wait.

Then don't sign a contract. It's that simple. Nobody was forcing him to play in the NFL.

He can have a perfectly good career at Target, or Walmart, or Best Buy where they don't have a drug test policy...oh, wait.

Exactly! I mean really how many of us chose our careers and no weed over flipping burgers? Most I would say and we follow the rules

This asshole didn't just let his self down but his team mates and the fans. I think he should have to come on the field for the home opener just to hear the boos and see the signs.

that was well put. I too usually don't give a shit about a little weed or whatever, but if you're under DUI probation than I have zero sympathy. He obviously showed up to work in Berea and somebody was like that dude looks hungover. And this was during the season. No understanding from me whatsoever.

So he came to practice drunk?

That's pretty bold. :)

WSS

Not true. He was under a random test protocol and the test he failed was after the season.

Not true. He was under a random test protocol and the test he failed was after the season.

"Random" for Josh has meant "2 or 3 times this week" for a long time now...

I would say failing numerous drug test yes your a addict!

... and passing 100 times more says?

Let's keep in mind that Gordon is a repeat offender. It's not like he made one mistake. He's making the same mistakes over and over again, even with the stakes getting higher and higher.

No doubt....including the upcoming 2015 season, Gordon will have been suspended or thrown off his team 6 times in 5 years.....

2010....suspended by Baylor...arrested with drugs

2011....suspended by Baylor...failed drug test

2012....full season played.......failed drug test anyway

2013....Suspended 2 games....failed another drug test....and then got a DUI....

2014....Suspended 10 games...

2014....Suspended by team AGAIN for behavior...then failed another drug test....

2015....Suspended full season?......

No doubt....including the upcoming 2015 season, Gordon will have been suspended or thrown off his team 6 times in 5 years.....

2014....Suspended by team AGAIN for behavior...then failed another drug test....

Just in case anyone with bad eyesight or a thick head missed this post

Seriously any questions? Discussion over I'd say

Just in case anyone with bad eyesight or a thick head missed this post

Seriously any questions? Discussion over I'd say

nope that pretty much much sums it up.

Oh, I thought the story that came out a few days after it initially broke was that the failed test was still during the season..albeit at the very end. When I first heard about this story I was like wait it wasn't a DUI and it's after the season....so he had some drinks at home and got popped who cares? But then the whole thing came out about his probation restrictions and that this was a test admininstered by the Browns during the season. So that's wrong?

Wrong. I personally have known several individuals who were and may even at one time myself been addicted to marijuana. Its not the drug itself that manifests addiction, the addiction is manifested within the individual and drugs/alcohol are but a symptom of the addiction. In other words, the problem is never the substance itself, it is the individual using the substance. Anything can be addictive, it all depends on who is partaking the behavior or habit.

Even though he doesn't want it, I feel bad for the guy. Not for this latest suspension, or for the fact his NFL career may be over, but the simple fact he just doesn't get it. He writes a letter that states he doesn't fault anyone but himself and then goes on to tell how he's lucky to be where he's at based on a rough life. Here is a simple open letter to Josh Gordon, "You're an adult, act like one".

a kid 'shook the shit' out of his girl the other night before cops came. he flipped out. never been in trouble before. restraining order and most likely a slap on his wrist with probation and a steep fine.

on probation they can ask him to piss without cause. you test positive for anything....bye bye.

a kid 'shook the shit' out of his girl the other night before cops came. he flipped out. never been in trouble before. restraining order and most likely a slap on his wrist with probation and a steep fine.

on probation they can ask him to piss without cause. you test positive for anything....bye bye.

Not unlike party plates on your car. They can pull you over anytime for any reason.

WSS

Archived