THE BROWNS BOARD

Belichick's Deflated Balls

Zombo

So all joking aside what is the punishment for this? There's zero chance they cancel or leave the Pats out of the Super Bowl as there's way too much money wasted. Is a post-season ban next year too much? First round draft pick gone? Or, as I suspect they will probably nail some assistant to the assistant ball boy to the cross and deny.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem is that there is no defined minimum. There's a maximum, and they weren't over the max. So, technically, they weren't in violation.

This is just like the plays with 4OL due to injury.. unusual, yes. Wrong, no.

Will the law be changed? Sure, go for it so that it's clarified moving forward, but it's pennies on the hundred dollar bill of a turd the Colts drafting for D has been.

The problem is that there is no defined minimum. There's a maximum, and they weren't over the max. So, technically, they weren't in violation.

This is just like the plays with 4OL due to injury.. unusual, yes. Wrong, no.

Will the law be changed? Sure, go for it so that it's clarified moving forward, but it's pennies on the hundred dollar bill of a turd the Colts drafting for D has been.

"The balls are required to be inflated between 12.5 and 13.5 pounds per square inch and weigh between 14 and 15 ounces."

http://espn.go.com/boston/story/_/id/12202450/nfl-says-new-england-patriots-had-inflated-footballs-afc-championship-game

Good point, thanks. But here's the other thing.

Officials inspected the balls 2.25 hours before the game and verified the balls passed the test. Did they perform the tests indoors or out? 70 degrees vs 20 does matter for PSI -- think about how the external temp affects your car tires.

Is it specified that they should weigh the balls after the game? Where? What's the acceptable change during a game where weather is more prevalent? Why is the defined measurement 2.25 hours prior to the game?

If they inflate the balls inside with warm air, or test inside near the warm air - after playing outside in 20 degree weather - that PSI is decreasing.

It's all well and good to call them Cheat0rz, but until the system of measurement [and the definition of where to perform the ball inflation] is both consistent and precise, it's all background noise.

So.. the next step after the current inflation measurement concerns the security of those balls once inflated and confirmed - eg, during the 2.25 hours prior to the game. Current state is: Nothing happens.

Scuffing the balls is a completely different issue than this thread.

But it's yet another failure mode of having no plan for that time between inflation measurement and game time.

So.. the next step after the current inflation measurement concerns the security of those balls once inflated and confirmed - eg, during the 2.25 hours prior to the game. Current state is: Nothing happens.

Scuffing the balls is a completely different issue than this thread.

But it's yet another failure mode of having no plan for that time between inflation measurement and game time.

As I understand it, they're re-measured 15 minutes before the game, then the referees have control of them until they're on the sidelines, meaning that this could only have happened in-game, as was reported initially.

Yeah this is definitely an illegal move. I don't know what I want but I just hope it's more than some mid-round draft picks and a check. Again I'll wait until it all comes out but this will be the second time in 8 years this organization has committed serious violations to gain an advantage.

I can't find anywhere a link about the 15-minute re-measurement.

This isn't personal, it's about determining objective reality.

In the same way that Chris Kyle's story about him punching Ventura was complete and total BS, only NFL links documenting the path of the PSI measurement are fact.

So.. please verify. Without links, you have a hypothesis.... not a fact.

I can't find anywhere a link about the 15-minute re-measurement.

This isn't personal, it's about determining objective reality.

In the same way that Chris Kyle's story about him punching Ventura was complete and total BS, only NFL links documenting the path of the PSI measurement are fact.

So.. please verify. Without links, you have a hypothesis.... not a fact.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/12202450/nfl-says-new-england-patriots-had-inflated-footballs-afc-championship-game

Link notes that the refs check 15 minutes before the game.

No, the link does not.

"The game balls that each team received for preparation were required to be inspected and approved by referee Walt Anderson two hours and 15 minutes before kickoff, then returned to a ball attendant."

The link that you provided describes the 2.25 hour check - "two hours and 15 minutes" - as discussed earlier in the thread.. not anything about 15 minutes before.

Note : Reiss' article, linked to on that page, also confirms only a 2.25 hour check by the referee.

If they inflate the balls inside with warm air, or test inside near the warm air - after playing outside in 20 degree weather - that PSI is decreasing.

PV=nRT baby!

Reduces to P1/P2=T1/T2 or P2=(T2/T1)*P1 all units in absolute terms, i.e. psia (psig+14.7) and degrees Rankine (degFarenheit+460).

So if a ball starts at 12.6 psig (P1=27.3 psia) in a 70 degF (T1=530 degR) room and chills to 35 degF (T2=495 degR) its pressure will drop to:

(495/530)*27.3 = 25.5 psia = 10.8 psig

Conclusion: The weather is the cheater.

Better check the Indy balls, too. Even if they pumped theirs to the max of 13.5 psig, they would fall to 11.6.

"The balls are required to be inflated between 12.5 and 13.5 pounds per square inch and weigh between 14 and 15 ounces."

I wonder if the weight goes back to the Raiders and "helium-gate"?

Nope, there's also an allowable weight range. Better x-ray those Super Bowl kicking balls to make sure Bellicheat doesn't put some lead in the ones Haluska is using. :)

lol... Point of my post was that the weight of air is insignificant in the ball's total weight.

PV=nRT baby!

Reduces to P1/P2=T1/T2 or P2=(T2/T1)*P1 all units in absolute terms, i.e. psia (psig+14.7) and degrees Rankine (degFarenheit+460).

So if a ball starts at 12.6 psig (P1=27.3 psia) in a 70 degF (T1=530 degR) room and chills to 35 degF (T2=495 degR) its pressure will drop to:

(495/530)*27.3 = 25.5 psia = 10.8 psig

Conclusion: The weather is the cheater.

Better check the Indy balls, too. Even if they pumped theirs to the max of 13.5 psig, they would fall to 11.6.

I wonder if the weight goes back to the Raiders and "helium-gate"?

lol... Point of my post was that the weight of air is insignificant in the ball's total weight.

Hey thanks for the physics math. Of course I knew as temperature decreases with a given volume\mass of air, pressure decreases. Chill 'em down to absolute zero, and the volume will approach zero. :)

P-Chem, Baby, P-Chem... as taught to me by Dr. Samuel H. Maron, who literally wrote the book with his mentor, Dr. Carl Prutton.

FUNDAMENTAL PRINCIPLES of PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY.

Carl F. Prutton, Professor of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Case School of Applied Science,

and

Samuel H Maron, Associate Professor of Physical Chemistry, Case School of Applied Science.

The Macmillan Company. New York, 1944.

Well all I can say is that they edited the article as it plainly read 15 minutes before kickoff when we both linked it. They noted that on the talk radio show this morning too but it was a misnomer I suppose.

I'm in an argument with a friend on if and how the Patriots should be punished. Forfeited draft was picks was discussed, up to the point the point of an entire draft. My friend said missing an entire draft would not hurt a team like the Pats too much, they could recover from free agency. He pointed out a figure that teams find on average only 2.4 starters each draft. I said missing an entire draft for any team would be monumental. What's the boards take?

I'm in an argument with a friend on if and how the Patriots should be punished. Forfeited draft was picks was discussed, up to the point the point of an entire draft. My friend said missing an entire draft would not hurt a team like the Pats too much, they could recover from free agency. He pointed out a figure that teams find on average only 2.4 starters each draft. I said missing an entire draft for any team would be monumental. What's the boards take?

If they prove tampering a single draft ban and a year hold on only retaining free agents should be imposed.

It all makes sense now! I can't believe it just dawned on me!
It's no secret that the NFL wants to put a team in London. It's naturally in their interest to get a successful team there to build the market. Could they be using this as a ploy to force the team out of the city as punishment? And all they would have to do is drop the "New" from the teams name, and BOOM, the England Patriots are born!

Archived