THE BROWNS BOARD

Mohican's Miscellaneous Meanderings

mohican

I'm more or less done with the Republican Party. Especially at a national level.

Before any 'murrican Liberals, progs, and/or Democrats rejoice I'm not converting to that either.

The U.S. Federal government has become too large, to intrusive and has come within 98% of jettisoning it's charter.

I got on board with the Tea Party movement, only to watch it go from being tolerated in 2010 to being told to go away in the last few years. Moral of the Story: If you want to change the republican party at the Federal Level, you will need to out live the baby boomers that run it.

So that begs a question - can a group of citizens accomplish goals similar to the Tea Party without the Republican Party?

Can you have a peaceful process through the ballot box?

Maybe.

Will it be achieved by "voting in the right bunch of Republicans"?

Honest people in the Tea Party movement will tell you...no....

Is there a ballot box solution? Yes.

Is it immediate? No.

What is that solution, and why would it take so long?

Start with the premise that states often go one direction with statehouse politics and another direction with federal, and specifically POTUS politics.

The solution? Turn the states, at the state level Red. Or small government Republican. Constitutionalist/Libertarian. At the state level, Republicans actually hold to much of their rhetoric of being “Reaganites”.

Texas – Red at the state level?
Florida?
Ohio?
Then take the 35 smallest, most rural states and turn them red in the state house and Governors office.

Turn them really red.

With 38 Red/Republican/Constitutional states you could drive an Article V convention.

Repeal the 16th amendment.

Repeal the 17th amendment. (would repealing the 19th amendment be too much to ask for?)

Write an amendment that eliminates ACA, leave that to the states.

Write an amendment that puts term limits on SCOTUS, and would allow a majority of states to reign SCOTUS in.

Create term limits for the House.

Have the states write a federal budget. If anyone is truly serious about eliminating the deficit and paying off the debt, then you would have to cut the budget by 2/3s to get an real relief.

In meantime, I'll be in the back pasture looking for unicorns.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess the general theme of your meanderings is the question of whether you truly want to live in one country, bound by the same laws across the board, or if you want to live in 50 separate states, united only by a currency and a flag. At the moment you're a bit in between - more united than the EU, but less so than most other countries.

States? Wait just a minute. Let's take 1 step at a time. Are the people in ohio going to be happy being rules by the politicians from cleveland columbus and cincinnati? Or rules by the folks in handcock county, carroll County or Tuscarawas County?

Sure I consider myself center right but with a healthy dose of libertarianism and cynicism. but unlike some I'm not really angry about anything. it's just that I can't take the Constitution and the right to vote all that seriously. you can't put a hundred people in a room and agree on a system that everyone will be happy about. probably can't get them to agree on what flavor of free ice cream to pass out.

Human beings are contrary by nature.

WSS

I guess the general theme of your meanderings is the question of whether you truly want to live in one country, bound by the same laws across the board, or if you want to live in 50 separate states, united only by a currency and a flag. At the moment you're a bit in between - more united than the EU, but less so than most other countries.

I would be greatly in favor of a much smaller, weaker central government that was truly more federal and less nationalistic. I'm more in favor of local and state solutions in general, and in home rule.

I would be greatly in favor of a much smaller, weaker central government that was truly more federal and less nationalistic. I'm more in favor of local and state solutions in general, and in home rule.

The point there is what you feel to be 'home' - is it america, or ohio (or wherever)?

To answer your question - I feel much more affinity for "Ohio" than I do for "America" or "the United States of America". However, you're questions partially miss my point - that if there is any "Conservative", or "small government" change I do not think electing a bunch of "Tea Party Republicans" at a national level will get the job done.... unless you go through a 6 year cycle where you replace Senators and members of the House of Representatives. You can't leave enough McConnels and Boehners or Pelosis and Reids, in order to change you'd have to have some wave elections.

A better but still very, very slim chance would be to get enough state legislatures together for the purpose of specific amendments designed to reign in the national government.

this wasn't the theme of my meanderings. And until, say, Wilson and then FDR, people understood that states could have vastly different laws.

Fill in the blank:

The _ _ _ _ _ were the first slaves brought en masse to the America's by the Europeans.

http://www.africaresource.com/rasta/sesostris-the-great-the-egyptian-hercules/the-irish-slave-trade-forgotten-white-slaves/

From 1641 to 1652, over 500,000 Irish were killed by the English and another 300,000 were sold as slaves. Ireland’s population fell from about 1,500,000 to 600,000 in one single decade. Families were ripped apart as the British did not allow Irish dads to take their wives and children with them across the Atlantic. This led to a helpless population of homeless women and children. Britain’s solution was to auction them off as well.

During the 1650s, over 100,000 Irish children between the ages of 10 and 14 were taken from their parents and sold as slaves in the West Indies, Virginia and New England. In this decade, 52,000 Irish (mostly women and children) were sold to Barbados and Virginia. Another 30,000 Irish men and women were also transported and sold to the highest bidder. In 1656, Cromwell ordered that 2000 Irish children be taken to Jamaica and sold as slaves to English settlers.

after the 1798 Irish Rebellion, thousands of Irish slaves were sold to both America and Australia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sack_of_Baltimore

Prior to Cromwell, the Brits were not the only ones in on the Irish Slave Trade http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sack_of_Baltimore

Algerians? Perhaps Africans or African Americans owe reparations to the Irish? Or should we perish the notion of reparations as punishing the sons for the sins of the fathers?

A note - Baltimore and other Irish cities, raided for slaves became nearly unpopulated for a long time afterwards. (over a Century according to some sources)

States? Wait just a minute. Let's take 1 step at a time. Are the people in ohio going to be happy being rules by the politicians from cleveland columbus and cincinnati? Or rules by the folks in handcock county, carroll County or Tuscarawas County?

Sure I consider myself center right but with a healthy dose of libertarianism and cynicism. but unlike some I'm not really angry about anything. it's just that I can't take the Constitution and the right to vote all that seriously. you can't put a hundred people in a room and agree on a system that everyone will be happy about. probably can't get them to agree on what flavor of free ice cream to pass out.

Human beings are contrary by nature.

WSS

I vote for mint chocolate chip ice cream

One of my ancestors was a direct descendant of Pocohantas, and hey,

I think I'm owned about...oh, 750 grand, in reparitions out of the pockets

of the poor's taxes and Al "racist bigmouth moneybags" Sharpton, so they can "pay their fair share"....

When I go to Baskin Robbins, I get a double cone of mint chocolate chip and butter pecan. Sometimes I get pralines and cream instead of butter pecan.

So I guess I will stick with my original vote

Well for one thing the Democrats would be screaming bloody murder about dragging out the wars.

WSS

Probably more involved in the Syrian conflict(if I remember right he was a big supporter of involvement against assad), less likely to have pulled troops permanently out of Iraq(or at least would have returned quicker), and even had that bomb Iran song a few years ago... which together may have lead to war with Iran or at least a more heightened situation.

Definitely no Obamacare, but I do not think the economy would have been in better shape...so congress may have went more democratic instead of republican. Bail-outs would likely have still happened(but likely the people who got the money would have been different), more Palin of course.

Imagine MccAine the last 6 yrs? Well, I have little use for him. But,

he wouldn't have been anywhere near as much a babbling twit as Obamao has been,

along with...Mccain would never have gone after our 2nd Amendment, done fast and furious,

would never have golfed so much.

But still, he would have been a doofus.

Imagine MccAine the last 6 yrs? Well, I have little use for him. But,

he wouldn't have been anywhere near as much a babbling twit as Obamao has been,

along with...Mccain would never have gone after our 2nd Amendment, done fast and furious,

would never have golfed so much.

But still, he would have been a doofus.

I think he would have done well in 2000, if he had beaten Bush in the primaries and think he would have been a better president than Bush(and a lot better than Gore 00 Kerry 04).

Nope. He is a waffle - flips around whenever he thinks he

is on the popular side of things. Not a leader.

He would have been a disaster after 9/11. Wouldn't know what to do - he'd have

to switch places with Palin for a decision.

Nah.

Hard to say. Assuming that the house stayed in democratic control one could assume not much would go on. of course there's the possibility that a Republican White House win would a shirt in more Republicans the Congress so with a possible Republican majority? I am, however, positive that both sides would have swapped positions on whatever the hell was going on. I also don't believe that a president has much control over the economy. Obamacare would be forgotten now and that would be a net plus. hard to say weather someone with actual military experience would extend or construct either of the wars. hopefully he wouldn't be pulling a Jimmy Carter with the Iranian nuclear program.

Plus I think his wishy washy demeanor was planned. some people, especially those in the media, mistakenly think the American public wants everyone to get along with each other. that couldn't be further from the truth. kissing Obama's ass made him sound weak. I still don't see anyone beating the empty suit Obama though.

WSS

And that the Sunday morning news shows just love to talk to the squeaky wheel.

A candidate gives a false sense of security not realizing that as soon as he's the nominee the gloves come off.

If you recall this past primary s-wing our most left-wing member here was hoping it would be Mitt Romney since he was so very moderate. As soon as Romney got the nomination it seemed he sprouted devil horns and a pointed tail.

WSS

Archived