THE BROWNS BOARD

Scoreboard completion date

ccch

Man, I can't wait to see the size of the new Big Screens! The others worked okay but they were kind of little. I hope the stadium renovations and sound system upgrades help us match the volume the 12th man brings.

I really can't stand people saying the Seahawks have the best fans.... fuck them.

Man, I can't wait to see the size of the new Big Screens! The others worked okay but they were kind of little. I hope the stadium renovations and sound system upgrades help us match the volume the 12th man brings.

I really can't stand people saying the Seahawks have the best fans.... fuck them.

PG, I'll just say this- I caught the Browns game in KC, and their sound system put Cleveland's to shame. Also- I don't have sensitive ears- I'm an old school rock & roller. My home 1,000+ watt 7 channel system can pump out 110 db continuous of Rush's tune Limelight- and I can guarantee you your ears are ringing after 30 seconds of that sonic assault-as I found out 110 db is not just realistic concert level, it's insane loud concert level. The db scale is logarithmic- 10 db is 100X louder. & more energy level. SO. The Seahawks Stadium recorded the world record of 137db- and excuse me, but that's f**cking beyond insane. It would be equivalent of standing on a runway and have a 747 fly 10 feet over your head.

How can they be so loud? Aren't they just regular humans as are we? Is it something to do with the stadium design, or is there some simulated crowd noise going on???

How can they be so loud? Aren't they just regular humans as are we? Is it something to do with the stadium design, or is there some simulated crowd noise going on???

While Seahawks fans would like to believe it's all a result of Seattle being a GREAT SPORTS TOWN, there's actually some simple science that explains how CenturyLink gets so noisy.

Paul Greisemer, the architectural director who designed the stadium for AECOM, says it comes down to three factors — the roof, the closed quarters, and the materials.

He explained the architecture behind the noise in an interview ith KIRO Radio:

"Well, it was built to be a great home field advantage. The fact that it is loud is really kind of a result of a number of things that came about just through the design. It's on a very small site, comparatively to other stadiums, and because of that we had to compress the building very tightly. Fans are closer to the field than they are in most any NFL stadium today. So that combined with the desire to have a large roof covering, so fans are protected, really kind of combined the greatest of convergence of storms into a great environment."

He also said the curvature of the roof, along with the materials the stadium is made of — metal and concrete — reflect the sound better:

"It's a metal roof so it naturally is a very reflective surface. As is the seating bowl which is largely concrete. So there are a lot of those materials that are serving as sound mirrors, if you will, and bouncing the sound right back. ... The way the roof is angled, and the way the bowl captures all the sound that goes backwards and focuses it back towards the center of the stadium, you're pretty much going to get the maximum affect right at the players."

The two overhanging roofs basically act as noise catchers, deflecting the cheers from below back toward the century of the field.

You can get a good sense of the roofs here:

seahawks-stadium-loud.jpg

Otto Greule Jr/Getty Images

Seattle has won 18 of its last 20 home games. The fans are certainly a part of that, but so is some well-planned architecture.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/seattle-seahawks-stadium-loud-2014-1#ixzz2rTMAaxgN

Well for your edification and enjoyment, here's a comparison scale. I really have to doubt whoever took that 137 db reading as accurate. They have 115 db as "loud" rock concert- I might agree- if you're sitting 20' in front of the main speaker stack- as I was at an outdoor Pretenders concert way back. I thought I had a ruptured eardrum afterwards. @110, I can see the window glass in my man cave moving, and ditto feel the floor with any bass. PS- the KC Chiefs have a sound-o-meter, they hit 110 a couple of times during the game, and I thought that was accurate, and really loud . Made first Energy sound like a tennis match by comparison.

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html

Archived