THE BROWNS BOARD

Delhomme injured his right ankle

Mr. T

Browns' Delhomme hurts ankle in opener

By TOM WITHERS (AP) – 3 hours ago

BEREA, Ohio — Turns out, the Browns may have more to worry about than Jake Delhomme's two costly interceptions in their opener.

Making his regular-season debut for Cleveland, Delhomme injured his right ankle while throwing a pick late in the first half of Sunday's 17-14 loss at Tampa Bay. Coach Eric Mangini said Delhomme will undergo tests on the ankle, which appeared to bother the 35-year-old quarterback during the second half.

Browns president Mike Holmgren said Delhomme was "sore" Monday and that doctors intend to work on him in preparation for Sunday's home opener against Kansas City.

Mangini said he never considered bringing in backup Seneca Wallace after Delhomme got hurt.

"His ankle got a little twisted up, but he felt good enough to continue on it, and I felt good enough with him continuing on at that point," Mangini said, offering no other specifics about Delhomme's injury or when he'll have the tests.

It's likely Delhomme will undergo an MRI, which will give doctors the most detailed look at his ankle.

With the Browns leading 14-3 and driving toward a possible score before halftime, Delhomme tried to sidearm a pass to tight end Benjamin Watson while being tackled. The errant pass was intercepted by Buccaneers defensive back Ronde Barber, who returned it 64 yards to the Cleveland 3.

Tampa Bay scored on the next play, trimming the Browns' lead to 14-10 and giving the Bucs momentum.

"That changed a lot of things," Mangini said. "That was a big swing."

Holmgren said Delhomme was hurt on the critical play.

Source, More HERE

c51a3922677bc663c622d9943943435b-getty-98634864jm018_cleveland_bro.jpg

It is better to pussyup and let the team win than to man up and let the team lose.

The only reason why we have backups is for situations like this. I'm sad that JD hurt has ankle but am more angry that we lost an excellent opportunity to win the game - To win a season opener, something we havent done in ages.

So who do u think should be held accountable for this ?

The HC will take the heat for playing him while not checking his ankle out. But we dont know if word came from the booth to keep him in or not.

Im pissed also that we let this game slip away, the bucs brought more pressure as soon as they realized Jake was hobbling. That is when he should of been taken out of the game. I would hate to see some pussy injury take Jake out for a few games if this could've been avoided by sitting him down right after the injury.

The HC will take the heat for playing him while not checking his ankle out. But we dont know if word came from the booth to keep him in or not.

Im pissed also that we let this game slip away, the bucs brought more pressure as soon as they realized Jake was hobbling. That is when he should of been taken out of the game. I would hate to see some pussy injury take Jake out for a few games if this could've been avoided by sitting him down right after the injury.

Mangini had to see that Jake was limping- and the smart thing would have been to let Wallace run at least a few more plays with Cribbs.

I hope it works out for Seneca. I know it's early but I've lost a little bit of hope for Delhomme.

During preseason, it seemed that Seneca was a little reckless with the ball. But at times it worked well. May be what we need. If our receivers can't get any separation, expect a lot of INTs this season.

Also, Gruden Cowher or someone else to replace him?

We have played 1 game. I am willing to give Mangini more time before I join the hate fest. Just because the East Coast hates him so much does not mean that we have to abandon ship after one poor game.. and what is everyone's obsession with Cowher? seriously..

Mangini has done more for this team than any other HC we have had since coming back.

It seems to me that he is always learning and correcting himself as he gains more tenure.

These attributes will make him a success, when he has failed, he has always failed forward.

We have played 1 game. I am willing to give Mangini more time before I join the hate fest. Just because the East Coast hates him so much does not mean that we have to abandon ship after one poor game.. and what is everyone's obsession with Cowher? seriously..

I am also willing to give Mangini more time. We CANNOT keep changing coaches and GMs every few years! As for Cowher, I think the facsination with him is that he started his coaching career here with Marty. He has been on both sides of the Browns-Steelers rivalry, so he gets it. Though I think Mangini gets the rivalry as well. We can't just hop off of the bandwagon, because of losing in week one, but we DO need to win this Sunday!

Archived