THE BROWNS BOARD

positives from a crushing loss

LBC mike

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are a little gun shy about taking advice from A&M fans now haha.

... and the Browns' gun-shyness is directly proportional to the rabidity of the TAMU fans...

Well, it's early, but it's time for me to eat a little crow. I was probably the toughest critic of Danny Shelton, and he was fast approaching "Browns First Round Normalcy". What a difference two games make. Our first game, he showed pop and strength. Not dominant, but definitely displayed some of the penetration and power that we hoped for last year. Fast forward to second game, and he WAS dominant. His numbers were eye popping, and I could hear him talking a bit of smack and really getting into the game. He did well and it was noticeable. It's early, but it makes me happy. We at least know he CAN make it happen, now it's time to see about consistency.

The improvements to get excited about begin with Corey Coleman. Browns may have caught a severe break when the refs ruled that catch a TD, because if they ruled it incomplete, I'm not sure they could have reversed it. It was a BIG break, and something our young rookie desperately needed. The throw was actually perfect and Coleman made it a bit harder than it had to be. He didn't quite catch it cleanly, and he didn't drag his toes with the second foot. Obviously this is VERY difficult to do, but he's a pro. This catch gave him the confidence he needed to go out and look for the ball. You could see the difference. I absolutely LOVE how he jumped for that deep ball. That's something you just can't coach. The second TD was a result of the first. Had to respect the speed and play off, and that's what happened.

Well, it's early, but it's time for me to eat a little crow. I was probably the toughest critic of Danny Shelton, and he was fast approaching "Browns First Round Normalcy". What a difference two games make. Our first game, he showed pop and strength. Not dominant, but definitely displayed some of the penetration and power that we hoped for last year. Fast forward to second game, and he WAS dominant. His numbers were eye popping, and I could hear him talking a bit of smack and really getting into the game. He did well and it was noticeable. It's early, but it makes me happy. We at least know he CAN make it happen, now it's time to see about consistency.

The improvements to get excited about begin with Corey Coleman. Browns may have caught a severe break when the refs ruled that catch a TD, because if they ruled it incomplete, I'm not sure they could have reversed it. It was a BIG break, and something our young rookie desperately needed. The throw was actually perfect and Coleman made it a bit harder than it had to be. He didn't quite catch it cleanly, and he didn't drag his toes with the second foot. Obviously this is VERY difficult to do, but he's a pro. This catch gave him the confidence he needed to go out and look for the ball. You could see the difference. I absolutely LOVE how he jumped for that deep ball. That's something you just can't coach. The second TD was a result of the first. Had to respect the speed and play off, and that's what happened.

in space Corey Coleman is nearly undefendable 1 on 1.

I think the biggest thing Corey needed was confidence. It's one thing to do it in practice, but to do it in a GAME and at home are so very different. You could just feel that he was in the game and wanted to make plays after his first TD, and I can't say enough how important that review was. Corey now knows he can do it, and now we'll be expecting even more. We're holding him to a high standard, and Hue already said he wants to extract every possible ounce of talent out of him.

I wouldn't mind seeing a reverse with Coleman. I'd start off by running the "fake reverse, RB blast up the middle" a few times. Get the defense thinking about it, but run the RB up the gut first. After they see that a few times, hit Coleman for the reverse.

Archived