THE BROWNS BOARD

The 30 Greatest Football Places In America

The Gipper

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny you leave out Baltimore, only professional franchise to sell out every game in their history...home of three Super Bowl champions...have fun watching Ravens in playoffs again while you dream about a .500 season

Is "apt" funny to you? I put in 9 NFL markets. Do you think everyone of them should get a participation medal for just showing up on Sunday?

Though, Baltimore may have an argument. On the other hand, maybe Indianapolis has a better one. :o

Make your argument. Having sellouts when your team is winning ain't enough. Some areas have 40-50 years of sellouts.

Who would you take out if I put Baltimore in?

And if I put Baltimore in, then would not Washington/Philly/NYC/Boston have a gripe?

(FYI, I put this list together last year when the Ravens were playing at about a .500 level). And, by the way....the Ravens are also dreaming this year of a .500 season.

hmmm. valdosta, GA. almost married a girl from there. met while in the army at ft. devens, MA. one of those 'i wish' moments you look back on in your past.

back on topic. where i live now has nothing comapared to hs football programs that i saw growing up in sandusky. our stadium reminds me of a mini soldier's field with the cement press box etc. i brought back pictures of it on my last visit and my football crazy friends were amazed. i learned last year that they renamed stroebel field to cedar point stadium because of a $500k donation made by the amusement park for renovations and updates. awesome. then there is the talent produced within the little conference sandusky played in. sandusky had thom darden (nfl-browns) and orlando pace, findlay had big ben rapelisburger and fremont's charles woodson.

but if there is any where that they take high school football to another level it has to be texas above everywher else. i mean with the money and politics involved. i can't speak for other parts of ohio so i'll those that can do so. but cincinnati moeller is a nationally recognized team as is massilon. my friends here in ny know about them. then there is the south where if high school is taken as serious as college i'm sure there are some great teams.

the only chance i get to see HS football anymore that means anything to me is when they have a state challenge game on espn even though the little river town i live in now has won NY state champs four times.

love to see some pics of other stadiums in OH/elsewhere if anyone's got some to post.

She probably weighs 500 lbs, no teeth now.

I don't know. I don't think I can agree to removing South Carolina. That is my father in laws team as he lives nearby. That is actually the one college stadium I have been to as we went to games with him a few times. In fact, other than an Akron U game (my alma mater), I don't think I have actually been to any other college games. Never been to an Ohio State game.

I should like to go to a Trinity Univ. (TX) game because my daughter is now a cheerleader for them, but that is 1500 miles away. Maybe someday.

I did get to a Trinity game....but when they played in Cleveland vs. Case Western Reserve.

Gipper, I love the list!

Speaking of Trinity University, isn't it in San Antonio, real close to Brackenridge Park? If so, & you DO get there, you have to go to that park. It was great in the '60s!!

Mike

Is "apt" funny to you? I put in 9 NFL markets. Do you think everyone of them should get a participation medal for just showing up on Sunday?

Though, Baltimore may have an argument. On the other hand, maybe Indianapolis has a better one. :o

Make your argument. Having sellouts when your team is winning ain't enough. Some areas have 40-50 years of sellouts.

And if I put Baltimore in, then would not Washington/Philly/NYC/Boston have a gripe?

(FYI, I put this list together last year when the Ravens were playing at about a .500 level). And, by the way....the Ravens are also dreaming this year of a .500 season.

And then they won the Super Bowl!

Here is my list of the 30 greatest Football places in America. In alphabetical order. I didn't rank them....but that is something we can debate. Note that this can involve football at any level, pro, college...large and small, and high school.

Ann Arbor, Michigan. Yes, the town that hosts that school up north makes the list. They do after all average the highest attendance in all of college football

Auburn, Alabama. Home of Auburn Univ. which is a participant in one of the Top 5 college rivalries.

Austin, Texas. Home of the Big Dog in football crazy Texas. UT Longhorns.

Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Home of LSU Tigers.

Chicago, Illinois. Home of Da Bears. Plus, more PFHOF members were born in Chicago than any other city.

Cleveland, Ohio. The region is home to more pro football titles than any other. Is the only city to "save" its team from an attempt by a greedy owner to move it. (something the likes of Baltimore/St. Louis/Houston etc. were not able to do). Rabid fans despite recent losing problems. Plus it has one of the most storied high school rivalries in the nation. The Holy War: St. Ignatius vs. St. Edwards.

Columbia SC. Home of the Gamecocks of South Carolina U. You have to love that name, plus they are some of the most rabid college football fans in the country.

Columbus, Ohio. Home of the THE Ohio State Buckeyes which several entities have determined to be THE most popular college football team in the nation, with the largest fan base and among the most rabid fans, and some of the greatest traditions in the sport, e.g Script Ohio.

Dallas, Texas. Home, sorta, of The Cowboys, "America's Team". Well, lets just say that the media pays an inordinate amount of attention to them. They do have the cheerleaders, and it is alleged that they do have the largest fan base of all NFL teams.

Denver, Colorado. Home of the NFL team with probably the largest geographical following. Plus the fans are very ardent for the Broncos.

Gainesville, Florida. Home of The Florida Gators, probably Florida's most popular college program. Plus a lot of good high school football in that area.

Green Bay, Wisconsin. Home of the only community owned team in the NFL, the Packers. And the most successful. The Packers franchise has won the most championships in history. Title Town, USA

Kansas City, Missouri. Home of The Chief with one of the most ardent NFL fan bases who, despite a lack of on field success still follow their team.

Knoxville, Tennessee. Home of the Tennessee Volunteers, which lead the SEC in attendance regularly. And singing Rocky Top is a great tradition.

Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania. Home of the longest rivalry in college football, Lehigh/Lafeyette. Plus this working class area which includes the likes of Scranton, Easton, Allentown/Bethlehem produces great high school rivalry and talent.

Lincoln, Nebraska. Home of the Nebraska Cornhuskers.

Los Angeles, California. Despite no longer having an NFL team, the area is dedicated to USC football...and produces some of the best football talent in the country from its high schools. Also hosts perhaps the greatest spectacle in football, The Rose Bowl and its parade.

Madison/Whitewater, Wisconsin. I combine these two cities into one unit as they are not that far apart. Madison is the home of the Wisconsin Badgers which is highly popular. Whitewater is the home of The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater which is the 3 time defending Division III National Champion.

Miami, Florida. Home of the popular NFL Dolphins and the Miami Hurricanes, who used to be a big deal. Has also been frequent host of The Super Bowl Game. Also, fabulous football talent is produced from the areas high schools, such as Belle Glade and others.

New Orleans, Louisiana. The Saints helped rebuild this city after Katrina and enjoy wide popularity. Also, the most frequent and most popular site of The Super Bowl.

Norman, Oklahoma. Home of the Oklahoma Sooners one of the most successful college programs from a small state who along with Texas form the Red River Rivalry.

Oakland/East Bay, California. The Raiders, the Hell's Angels of the NFL, along with their crazy fan make the East Bay area a natural for this list. The icing on the cake however is the nearby Concord DeLaSalle High School which has won a record 6 USA Today National High School Championships. Plus, Cal ( or UC-Berkely if you prefer) is an upcoming progam that spent loads to improve their stadium.

Odessa, Texas. This area had not one, but two National Prime time TV shows somewhat centered around its high school football team. Friday Night Lights and Heroes. (Remember "Save the Cheerleader, Save the World"? That cheerleader cheered for Odessa Tx.)

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Home of the popular and succesful Steelers as well as the Pitt Panthers. Area has also produced some legendary QBs like Joe Namath, Dan Marino, John Unitas, Jim Kelley, Joe Montana, as well as the likes of Tony Dorsett. Western PA high school was the site of Tom Cruise's football movie All The Right Moves

South Bend, Indiana. Home of the Notre Dame Fighting Irish, the most popular and successful college football program in history.

Stark County, Ohio. If I did list these in order, this would probably take #1. It is the birthplace of the National Football League and the home of the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The city of Alliance hosts Mount Union University, which has won more Division III college Championship in history, and has appeared in over twice as many D-III title games as any other school. And it is the home of probably the most fabled high school rivalry in the nation: Massillon vs. Canton McKinley. Paul Brown graduated from and coached at Massillon and their 30,0000 seat stadium is named after him. And Canton McKinley's Fawcett Stadium is the site of the annual Hall of Fame game. What other high school has the NFL play a game in their stadium? Plus, though Glee says it is set in Lima, the school their is based on Canton McKinley.

State College, Pennsylvania. Despite recent trouble, it is home to one of the most popular and successful college football programs in the country, Penn St.

Tulsa, Oklahoma. Home of one of the other great high school rivalries: Jenks vs. Union.

Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Home of the defending champion Alabama Crimson Tide, one of the most successful college football programs in history.

Valdosta, Georgia. Home of Valdosta St. which has won several lower division national titles, an Valdosta HS which has won some USA Today national Championships.

For 31st place I have come up with the following candidates but cannot decide:

Athens, Ga.

Blacksburg Va.

Bryant-College Station TX

Clemson, SC

Fayetteville, Ark.

Morgantown, WVa

Sugarland, TX

Tallahassee, Fla.

Tyler, TX

You decide....or add any I may have missed.

Here is my list of the 30 greatest Football places in America. In alphabetical order. I didn't rank them....but that is something we can debate. Note that this can involve football at any level, pro, college...large and small, and high school.

Ann Arbor, Michigan. Yes, the town that hosts that school up north makes the list. They do after all average the highest attendance in all of college football

Auburn, Alabama. Home of Auburn Univ. which is a participant in one of the Top 5 college rivalries.

Chicago, Illinois. Home of Da Bears. Plus, more PFHOF members were born in Chicago than any other city.

Cleveland, Ohio. The region is home to more pro football titles than any other. Is the only city to "save" its team from an attempt by a greedy owner to move it. (something the likes of Baltimore/St. Louis/Houston etc. were not able to do). Rabid fans despite recent losing problems. Plus it has one of the most storied high school rivalries in the nation. The Holy War: St. Ignatius vs. St. Edwards.

Columbia SC. Home of the Gamecocks of South Carolina U. You have to love that name, plus they are some of the most rabid college football fans in the country.

Columbus, Ohio. Home of the THE Ohio State Buckeyes which several entities have determined to be THE most popular college football team in the nation, with the largest fan base and among the most rabid fans, and some of the greatest traditions in the sport, e.g Script Ohio.

Dallas, Texas. Home, sorta, of The Cowboys, "America's Team". Well, lets just say that the media pays an inordinate amount of attention to them. They do have the cheerleaders, and it is alleged that they do have the largest fan base of all NFL teams.

Denver, Colorado. Home of the NFL team with probably the largest geographical following. Plus the fans are very ardent for the Broncos.

Gainesville, Florida. Home of The Florida Gators, probably Florida's most popular college program. Plus a lot of good high school football in that area.

Green Bay, Wisconsin. Home of the only community owned team in the NFL, the Packers. And the most successful. The Packers franchise has won the most championships in history. Title Town, USA

Kansas City, Missouri. Home of The Chief with one of the most ardent NFL fan bases who, despite a lack of on field success still follow their team.

Knoxville, Tennessee. Home of the Tennessee Volunteers, which lead the SEC in attendance regularly. And singing Rocky Top is a great tradition.

Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania. Home of the longest rivalry in college football, Lehigh/Lafeyette. Plus this working class area which includes the likes of Scranton, Easton, Allentown/Bethlehem produces great high school rivalry and talent.

Los Angeles, California. Despite no longer having an NFL team, the area is dedicated to USC football...and produces some of the best football talent in the country from its high schools. Also hosts perhaps the greatest spectacle in football, The Rose Bowl and its parade.

Madison/Whitewater, Wisconsin. I combine these two cities into one unit as they are not that far apart. Madison is the home of the Wisconsin Badgers which is highly popular. Whitewater is the home of The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater which is the 3 time defending Division III National Champion.

Miami, Florida. Home of the popular NFL Dolphins and the Miami Hurricanes, who used to be a big deal. Has also been frequent host of The Super Bowl Game. Also, fabulous football talent is produced from the areas high schools, such as Belle Glade and others.

New Orleans, Louisiana. The Saints helped rebuild this city after Katrina and enjoy wide popularity. Also, the most frequent and most popular site of The Super Bowl.

Norman, Oklahoma. Home of the Oklahoma Sooners one of the most successful college programs from a small state who along with Texas form the Red River Rivalry.

Oakland/East Bay, California. The Raiders, the Hell's Angels of the NFL, along with their crazy fan make the East Bay area a natural for this list. The icing on the cake however is the nearby Concord DeLaSalle High School which has won a record 6 USA Today National High School Championships. Plus, Cal ( or UC-Berkely if you prefer) is an upcoming progam that spent loads to improve their stadium.

Odessa, Texas. This area had not one, but two National Prime time TV shows somewhat centered around its high school football team. Friday Night Lights and Heroes. (Remember "Save the Cheerleader, Save the World"? That cheerleader cheered for Odessa Tx.)

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Home of the popular and succesful Steelers as well as the Pitt Panthers. Area has also produced some legendary QBs like Joe Namath, Dan Marino, John Unitas, Jim Kelley, Joe Montana, as well as the likes of Tony Dorsett. Western PA high school was the site of Tom Cruise's football movie All The Right Moves

South Bend, Indiana. Home of the Notre Dame Fighting Irish, the most popular and successful college football program in history.

Stark County, Ohio. If I did list these in order, this would probably take #1. It is the birthplace of the National Football League and the home of the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The city of Alliance hosts Mount Union University, which has won more Division III college Championship in history, and has appeared in over twice as many D-III title games as any other school. And it is the home of probably the most fabled high school rivalry in the nation: Massillon vs. Canton McKinley. Paul Brown graduated from and coached at Massillon and their 30,0000 seat stadium is named after him. And Canton McKinley's Fawcett Stadium is the site of the annual Hall of Fame game. What other high school has the NFL play a game in their stadium? Plus, though Glee says it is set in Lima, the school their is based on Canton McKinley.

State College, Pennsylvania. Despite recent trouble, it is home to one of the most popular and successful college football programs in the country, Penn St.

Tulsa, Oklahoma. Home of one of the other great high school rivalries: Jenks vs. Union.

Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Home of the defending champion Alabama Crimson Tide, one of the most successful college football programs in history.

Valdosta, Georgia. Home of Valdosta St. which has won several lower division national titles, an Valdosta HS which has won some USA Today national Championships.

Athens, Ga.

Blacksburg Va.

Clemson, SC

Fayetteville, Ark.

Morgantown, WVa

Sugarland, TX

Tallahassee, Fla.

Tyler, TX

You decide....or add any I may have missed.

Ann harbor. Have u ever sat in that stadium. Its a joke. Whereas the average seat with is about sixteen inches. The big house gives u a luxurious 12 inch wide chair to sit in.

I agree with Cysko on too many Ohio places being listed. You mention that the Cleveland, Ohio region is home to more pro football titles than any other, but that's only if you include Akron and Canton. Then you set aside another spot for just the Akron and Canton region.

Gipper, I love the list!

Speaking of Trinity University, isn't it in San Antonio, real close to Brackenridge Park? If so, & you DO get there, you have to go to that park. It was great in the '60s!!

Mike

It is where my daughter matriculates the ball down the field. I will have to ask her about that park. I am unfamiliar with it. And I suspect she spends all her time on campus.

60s huh? Was it like Itchycoo park?

I agree with Cysko on too many Ohio places being listed. You mention that the Cleveland, Ohio region is home to more pro football titles than any other, but that's only if you include Akron and Canton. Then you set aside another spot for just the Akron and Canton region.

Ohio has only 3 locations: Cleveland/Stark Co./Columbus. Other states also have 3. PA/Tex. If you do not think that Ohio is one of the preeminent football states in America....then I have to ask which America you are living in.

Even if you separate the Akron and Canton areas, Cleveland still has more pro titles than anywhere except Green Bay. I mean, I am not going to take Cleveland out to put Baltimore in.....and surely the likes of Kansas City, Denver, New Orleans and other places I put in there for their NFL connections would not supersede Cleveland.

( I might say that one of those could go out to let Baltimore in).

You're including all thirty when you say Texas has 3 and pa has 3. Ohio is overrepresented on your top ten list.

Yes, WTF did you think I was talking about. Out of the 30 Texas has 3 (Dallas/Austin/Odessa), PA has 3 (Pitt/State College/Lehigh Valley), and Ohio has 3 (Cleveland/Columbus/Stark Co.)

Ohio has precisely the right number in the list.

Here is how all states are represented:

Texas 3

Ohio 3

Penn. 3

Alabama 2

Florida 2

Louisiana 2

Wisconsin 2

California 2

Oklahoma 2

Michigan 1

Illinois 1

S. Carolina 1

Colorado 1

Missouri 1

Tenn. 1

Nebraska 1

Indiana 1

Georgia 1

What? You want a participation medal for every state? Mad because I didn't include Vermont and Delaware?

Don't even know why I bothered, stupid list anyway, lets see..Baltimore Colts in greatest game ever played...put NFL on map, Baltimore Colts in most important NFL game ever..Super Bowl 3..how can you have PIttsburgh on there...so they won four Super Bowls in 70's which created lots of bandwagon fans...now that they are not so dominant i see lots of fans disguised as yellow empty seats at one of NFL's smallest stadiums

Don't even know why I bothered, stupid list anyway, lets see..Baltimore Colts in greatest game ever played...put NFL on map, Baltimore Colts in most important NFL game ever..Super Bowl 3..how can you have PIttsburgh on there...so they won four Super Bowls in 70's which created lots of bandwagon fans...now that they are not so dominant i see lots of fans disguised as yellow empty seats at one of NFL's smallest stadiums

OK, OK I am buying your argument, see I am flexible (just like when I agreed to put on Oxford Miss. for Ghoolie and Ballpeen).....though I would not take Pittsburgh off. Perhaps Denver/KC/New Orleans.

(some dumbasses would argue that the Colts history belong to Indy......I do not. Any more than those who argue that the Browns history belongs to Baltimore......I assume you are not one of them).

OK, here is my revised list, having succumbed to valid arguments about Oxford Ms. and Baltimore

Baltimore. Home of the first Colts....a team from the AAFC that joined the NFL but didn't last, and of the second Colts....which played in the "Greatest Game Ever Played", and is the team that the Browns last beat for a title....plus they were the victims of Joe Namath in SBIII....but got some revenge when Johnny Unitas led them to a title 2 years later. Plus now home of 2 time SB Champ Ravens.

Oxford, Mississippi. Home of the Running Rebs of Ole Miss. We all take Ghoolie and Ballpeen's word for what a great place for football this is....even though that team has not had a great deal of on field success.

Athens, Ga.
Blacksburg Va.
Clemson, SC
Fayetteville, Ark.

Kansas City

Knoxville Tn
Morgantown, WVa
Sugarland, TX
Tallahassee, Fla.
Tyler, TX

• 9 months later...

I give this thread a bump in order to give Kudos to both Ballpeen and Ghoolie for advocating for Oxford, Mississippi to be on the list of Top 30 Football places in America. It now appears that they were prescient as Ole Miss kicked Bama to the curb Saturday. and Mississippi St. as well prevailed.

But note to Ballpeen, in order to put Oxford Miss. in, I had to take an SEC area out, and I chose Tennessee. Not sure if I am right about that, but there it is.

I give this thread a bump in order to give Kudos to both Ballpeen and Ghoolie for advocating for Oxford, Mississippi to be on the list of Top 30 Football places in America. It now appears that they were prescient as Ole Miss kicked Bama to the curb Saturday. and Mississippi St. as well prevailed.

But note to Ballpeen, in order to put Oxford Miss. in, I had to take an SEC area out, and I chose Tennessee. Not sure if I am right about that, but there it is.

Thanks, but you have to keep Tennessee in....usually a good program, the Pride of the Southland Band, and you have to admit, really cool endzones take it over the top. I'd dump a HS program, but not Valdosta...have you ever seen that HS stadium? Puts small college programs to shame Probably 12,000 seats and standing room for another 5....and they fill it every Friday night...and Valdosta isn't a total podunk town. There are some decent Friday night options. It probably is about 50,000 people in the city. Not big by Ohio standards, but in the middle of south Georgia peanut country, that is where people head.

Google search...hit a few links....more HS wins than any HS program...a great HS program

Thanks, but you have to keep Tennessee in....usually a good program, the Pride of the Southland Band, and you have to admit, really cool endzones take it over the top. I'd dump a HS program, but not Valdosta...have you ever seen that HS stadium? Puts small college programs to shame Probably 12,000 seats and standing room for another 5....and they fill it every Friday night...and Valdosta isn't a total podunk town. There are some decent Friday night options. It probably is about 50,000 people in the city. Not big by Ohio standards, but in the middle of south Georgia peanut country, that is where people head.

Google search...hit a few links....more HS wins than any HS program...a great HS program

I actually only have 2 strictly HS locations on the list. Valdosta and Odessa, so I don't want to drop them.

If Knoxville and Oxford stay, then the only two I see to drop one would be either Gainesville or Auburn. In deference to you, Gatorland, I would say Auburn.

Miami in the top 10 removes all sanity you had in your list.

Miami was in there because it has significant presence at all levels of the game. The Miami area does produce many, many great players, and a school or two from that area is always in the running for the top HS team in the land.

Love them or hate them the Miami Hurricanes have/had been one of the premier college programs in the land, competing for and winning a number of national titles. And the Dolphins....at least for the like 30 years that Shula was coaching them were one of the premier NFL teams going.

This list isn't just a right here, right now list. It is an historical list.

(and again, note that it was originally compiled like 3 years agoe)

you forgot to mention woody hayes in your OSU comments.

I'm sure you mentioned Bear at bama?

You talkin' to me? I just assumed that Hayes and Bryant would go without saying when listing those programs. Just like it went without saying that Ara Paraseghian, Frank Layden, Knute Rockne are part of Notre Dame history.

Actual accomplishment must count for something.

If you don't put in Miami...with its good HS, College, professional history....who do you put in?

You drop them from the list completely and our previous conversation is solved. Most of the great talent in Florida is still in the center of the state.

You drop them from the list completely and our previous conversation is solved. Most of the great talent in Florida is still in the center of the state.

It would, but I still cannot see doing it.

I mean, truthfully, Miami U. has had at least equal achievement as Florida U. And both are a bit down from their former lofty height right now. Miami still has that highly historically successful NFL team. (certainly has a more accomplished history than the other two NFL teams in the state).

And since 2007, three different Miami/Ft. Lauderdale schools have been declard national champions by the USA Today: Ft. Lauderdale St. Thomas Aquina (twice), Miami Northwestern and Miami Booker T. Washington (defending 2013 champs)

No, I guess I will put Auburn Ala. on that honorable mention list.

Fort Lauderdale is not really Miami. Belle Glade, which you site in your original post, is DEFINITELY not Miami. Stark county is closer to Cleveland in every way than Bell Glade is to Miami, yet you give Cleveland and Stark two separate entries.

It's all in how you want to quantify it. If it is formulamatic because The Dolphins won so many championships, the Hurricanes won so many championships and the high school talent level is high ... then OK.

But if it subjective, like, what is a really cool place to spend a Friday night or Saturday or Sunday afternoon ... then likes of Knoxville, Auburn, Ole Miss and others you have on the cusp are no match, because they have passion and pomp ... football is a religion in those places. Miami is not a football town. In fact it is the antithesis of a football town ... it lacks passion. There is no "buzz". University of Miami is a small private school, they get about 40,000 to turn out for their football games, but nobody talks about when they aren't national powers. The Dolphins ... the fans are on to other things if they start 2-3. Those other places are full of passion no matter what the record. I wouldn't put Miami in the same breath as those SEC cities, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Texas, etc ... Going to a Dolphins home game is nothing like a Browns home game. Just not a football town. Or a sports town in general.

Zombo

Fort Lauderdale is not really Miami. Belle Glade, which you site in your original post, is DEFINITELY not Miami. Stark county is closer to Cleveland in every way than Bell Glade is to Miami, yet you give Cleveland and Stark two separate entries.

I may have misunderstood where Belle Glade is in relation to Miami....or I was thinking of some other town......

It's all in how you want to quantify it. If it is formulamatic because The Dolphins won so many championships, the Hurricanes won so many championships and the high school talent level is high ... then OK.

To a certain extent, yes, I went for a formulaic approach based on the accomplishments of the teams of a particular town. The Miami area has had about 5-6 different High Schools win mythical national championships....including the last one. And since Bernie Kosar and Howard Schnellenberger put Miami U on the football map they have won as many titles in those years as any other school.

But if it subjective, like, what is a really cool place to spend a Friday night or Saturday or Sunday afternoon ... then likes of Knoxville, Auburn, Ole Miss and others you have on the cusp are no match, because they have passion and pomp ... football is a religion in those places. Miami is not a football town. In fact it is the antithesis of a football town ... it lacks passion. There is no "buzz". University of Miami is a small private school, they get about 40,000 to turn out for their football games, but nobody talks about when they aren't national powers. The Dolphins ... the fans are on to other things if they start 2-3. Those other places are full of passion no matter what the record. I wouldn't put Miami in the same breath as those SEC cities, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Texas, etc ... Going to a Dolphins home game is nothing like a Browns home game. Just not a football town. Or a sports town in general.

That is all good, but pomp and passion are still not enough I do not believe to be put into the elite of best football places. There has to be some accomplishment. I acquiesced with Oxford Miss. (and Columbia SC, and a couple of others) But in reality, except for producing a couple of guys named Manning, their defeat of Alabama last week was probably their biggest football accomplishment our lifetime.

There still has to be some meat on the bones.

Zombo

Archived