THE BROWNS BOARD

The 13 Most Useless College Majors (As Determined By Science)

MLD Woody

Poli Sci? No wonder you know so little about politics compared to Cal

It was an "American government" major. Also an econ major. The recommended you do both. As one professor said at the outset, "Studying government is just studying economics done poorly." Ain't that the truth.

They also were proudly not "poli sci." They focused more on the actual workings of government than the academic exploration of it. Also did a bit of Japanese politics, which was really interesting when they were supposedly about to take over the world. Before they didn't. But when I was in college in the 90s everyone shit themselves about our coming Japanese overlords. It feels a lot like the China fervor today.

I wouldn't say it's dying. It's changing, and slower to adapt to the age of the internet than most career paths.

Eh, I'd like to think so, but the model is almost unworkable, and they can't find one that does. It's getting pretty hard to send someone like Dana Priest off for 5-6 months to nail down a story on, say, the post-9/11 surveillance state. But that's what journalism often is.

Every paper is shrinking staff, closing bureaus, cutting local beat reporters. It's a real problem. We can catch politicians when they stick their dick somewhere they're not supposed to, but just about anything else is a lot easier to get away with.

It was an "American government" major. Also an econ major. The recommended you do both. As one professor said at the outset, "Studying government is just studying economics done poorly." Ain't that the truth.

They also were proudly not "poli sci." They focused more on the actual workings of government than the academic exploration of it. Also did a bit of Japanese politics, which was really interesting when they were supposedly about to take over the world. Before they didn't. But when I was in college in the 90s everyone shit themselves about our coming Japanese overlords. It feels a lot like the China fervor today.

If I wasn't an engineering major I'd probably be an Econ Major and something else (that something would be some kind of math probably, maybe business)

>>The only reason people become Biology majors, to my knowledge, is to become doctors. The pre med track overlaps a lot with Bio. Plus bio is pretty easy so it will keep your GPA up for med school.>>

And if you can't handle the Organic Chemistry, Cell Biology, Physics, etc., courses you can always fall back into something like Mechanical Engineering

How do you spot the marketing major?

He is the guy in taco bell wearing a necktie.

P s I see no reason to have moved this thread.

I see topics here other than about barber shops.

Including college football and the browns.

WSS

For the record, I don't know why or how it got moved. I don't even work here.

>>The only reason people become Biology majors, to my knowledge, is to become doctors. The pre med track overlaps a lot with Bio. Plus bio is pretty easy so it will keep your GPA up for med school.>>

And if you can't handle the Organic Chemistry, Cell Biology, Physics, etc., courses you can always fall back into something like Mechanical Engineering

I understand what you are trying to get at, but that's not how it works...

I tend to think John is on to something here. Four-hour organic chem labs have a way of weeding out the less-than-serious.

They definitely do, no doubt. I would think that would get rid of the students that just think they will be doctors but have no drive for it.

But I will never see biology as a harder major than mechanical engineering. Yes, I am biased, and yes John that got under my skin, but I don't see how that is true in anyway.

Bio is not an easy major though, I'm not saying that. Being in the STEM family means it has to have some difficulty.

Computer science?

Those degrees are pretty much junk by the time you get a 4 year degree.

The ability to program at length, an excellent manner, in structured form, is probably okay.

Whatever. I used to want to get a physician's assistant degree back in the day. But, then

I was talked out of it - they said it would never really catch on. But genetics, etc. was fun.

They definitely do, no doubt. I would think that would get rid of the students that just think they will be doctors but have no drive for it.

But I will never see biology as a harder major than mechanical engineering. Yes, I am biased, and yes John that got under my skin, but I don't see how that is true in anyway.

Bio is not an easy major though, I'm not saying that. Being in the STEM family means it has to have some difficulty.

A good friend of mine daughter just graduated from the University of Minnesota Vet School.

Talk there was that students that flunk out of Vet school become doctors.

Computer science?

Those degrees are pretty much junk by the time you get a 4 year degree.

The ability to program at length, an excellent manner, in structured form, is probably okay.

Whatever. I used to want to get a physician's assistant degree back in the day. But, then

I was talked out of it - they said it would never really catch on. But genetics, etc. was fun.

Computer Science covers a lot more than programming these days. IT and IET are usually considered computer science.

Archived