THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Draft Strategy beginning in 2016

jcam222

I was listening to the radio the other day and they were joking about our drafts with Farmer. They were saying this is a guy who will find a super deal at a flea market on something obscure but would walk by the Hope Diamond on sale for $100.

The joking is obviously based on the fact he and / or the scouting staff seem to have a real knack of finding gems in the later rounds. You have to admit they have found some gems in the later rounds and undrafted. Based on this the new strategy is so obvious I cannot believe we havent used it already. We trade all of our picks in the first three rounds to accumulate a shit ton of 5 to 7th rounders. We draft ALL obscure super secret prospects and BAM we are good to go. just sayin...............

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Evaluating right now Bitonio looks solid and I still don't want to give up on West but other than that nothing stellar. Kirksey has been ok. Gilbert and Manziel are horrible and Desir really hasn't played. The 2015 class hasn't played a down in the real NFL yet so not fair to evaluate them.

In a league that also WANTS elite QB play. Drafting top 10 receivers and having a very average QB do not a good combination make.

Drafting the #1 Qb with our Wr's isn't a good combo either

Evaluating right now Bitonio looks solid and I still don't want to give up on West but other than that nothing stellar. Kirksey has been ok. Gilbert and Manziel are horrible and Desir really hasn't played. The 2015 class hasn't played a down in the real NFL yet so not fair to evaluate them.

Manziel is horrible after less than 16 games as a starter. Haha...

Hey, the Hope diamond is cursed too...

Farmer has clearly shown he has the people and process to evaluate talent and see it where others do not. Where his organization has missed to date is in evaluating desire/drive and introspection. Especially the latter lies in the first rounds of the draft.

Gilbert doesn't have introspection... may never have it.

Johnny did not have introspection... may have found it.

West appears to be too "content" to be great.

Tate appeared to have issues with insecurity... similar to introspection in that it's a personality thing.

It appears that it's hard to spot the lack of these qualities.

It has to be hard, really hard as the list of failures throughout the league is too long to list.

So in that light, Farmer's not looking too bad so far... If JM pulls through Farm has a shot at batting .750 in Round 1.

BaconHound and whoever, the thing is our receivers are actually pretty good. And I'm gonna say this on every thread bashing them until they get their due credit.

I've been wanting to start a 2016 draft needs thread but i don't think anyone wants to discuss yet.

Not really man.

They tried building the team by drafting Brown, Warren, Edwards, Winslow, Faine, Greene, Wimbley, etc. Walter

"Number of offensive linemen drafted by the Browns since 1999: 10 — seven tackles (including Bitonio, who played tackle in college), eight guards and four centers.

Number of first-round offensive linemen since 1999: Three: One tackle (Thomas) and two centers (Mack and Jeff Faine)."

In recent history, they have only drafted two offensive linemen in the first round, not including

last year, with Irving, who was a great pick.

Sure, Jeff Faine was a great pick - but he was drafted in 2003, and freakin traded to the Saints

in 2006. And the Browns signed Lecharles Bentley, who walked away from the Saints, and wouldn't

play for them anymore. We know how that went. Faine was great for the Saints.

And Joe Thomas was from 2007. Alex Mack - 2009

And Schwartz at right tackle, 2012, 2nd round. It took a long time to build this terrific offensive line.

I won't disagree, my point is why have a Ferrari when you can only drive during rush hour?

Having elite receivers but a QB that can't distribute the ball as effectively is a minimal return on investment at best.

I also agree but we keep drafting bums, Sammy Watkins or Justin Gilbert? Barkeivous Mingo?

I won't comment about Shelton but if he turns out to be a solid defensive lineman and not a real difference maker we'll chalk that up to another miss,

BaconHound and whoever, the thing is our receivers are actually pretty good. And I'm gonna say this on every thread bashing them until they get their due credit.

I've been wanting to start a 2016 draft needs thread but i don't think anyone wants to discuss yet.

We don't have a receiver on our roster that would be a number 1 on any other team except for possibly the Panthers because Benjamin got hurt. And on many teams Detroit, Indy, Giants, Broncos, etc wouldn't be their #2.

We don't have a receiver on our roster that would be a number 1 on any other team except for possibly the Panthers because Benjamin got hurt. And on many teams Detroit, Indy, Giants, Broncos, etc wouldn't be their #2.

Dwayne Bowe would likely be a #1 for Jacksonville. Maybe New England, they like old former #1 WRs.

Pryor would be a #1 for any team. Wait and see.

Farmer blew it in the first round last year passing on Khalil Mack, Mike Evans and could have had Garapollo, Carr or Bridgewater

But it's passed. I do like Shelton, Erving, Cooper, and Gaines and believe next year will be the year of Cardale Jones and a wide receiver.

So far, Kevin White and Davanta Parker would have done us no good. So someone light a fire under Dwane Bowe because he looked bad against Tampa.

Memo to Pettine: Let Crowell carry the rock! Stop rotating with West and let Crowell get into a rhythm! And then use Duke Johnson like Sproles and Vereen. If Duke ever gets on the field.

There are a lot of teams that wanted Pryor if he would agree to convert to a TE or WR. He is an elite athlete with tremendous upside at WR AND can serve as the best emergency QB a team could have. Hell there is a chance he is the best QB we have. He is going to make this team for sure.

Memo to Pettine: Let Crowell carry the rock! Stop rotating with West and let Crowell get into a rhythm! And then use Duke Johnson like Sproles and Vereen. If Duke ever gets on the field.

Totally agree. Pettine's handling of the RBs is my one and only complaint about him.

Well since Hawkins, as a slot guy, isn't eligible to be a #1, you can't compare. He is easily a top 10 slit guy in the league. And our guys aren't good because we have a great 1, they're good because we've got three guys who would be 2s, despite your disbelief. I posted it before, Gabriel was a top 20 receiver last year. You would rather loathe in misery than look at it.

Slit guy? I think you're thinking of West...

Farmer blew it in the first round last year passing on Khalil Mack, Mike Evans and could have had Garapollo, Carr or Bridgewater

Memo to Pettine: Let Crowell carry the rock! Stop rotating with West and let Crowell get into a rhythm!

Focus on the road ahead, not the rearview mirror... I know Mack makes it difficult, but concentrate...

Pre-season is made for rotations so you can see backs behind the same line and against the same D. Regular season will feature one or the other, but unless one really takes control, expect to see the lead back change week-to-week as it did last year.

The Practice rule will still be in effect.

Archived